Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread II

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread II 

Post#61 » by SgtPepper » Fri May 26, 2023 4:14 am

I still have dreams of him taking over at Barcelona someday. That club hired Frank De Boer as coach because he's Dutch and an ex-players after all.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#62 » by Baseline81 » Fri May 26, 2023 5:28 pm

Baphomet wrote:It's going to be Brendo isn't it?

Read on Twitter
Baseline81
Starter

Post#63 » by Baseline81 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 12:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,626

Post#64 » by Baphomet » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:09 pm

Don't know enough about him to really say much about his teams or tactics, but he seems like a pretty sound guy and Celtic fans love him. I'd be okay with Luis Enrique as well.

I'm just relieved it's not Rodgers, though we're not out of the woods yet.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#65 » by HIF » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:47 pm

Baphomet wrote:Don't know enough about him to really say much about his teams or tactics, but he seems like a pretty sound guy and Celtic fans love him. I'd be okay with Luis Enrique as well.

Celtic fans loved Rodgers too. :lol:
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by Baphomet » Fri Jun 2, 2023 9:19 pm

HIF wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Don't know enough about him to really say much about his teams or tactics, but he seems like a pretty sound guy and Celtic fans love him. I'd be okay with Luis Enrique as well.

Celtic fans loved Rodgers too. :lol:

I know, but honestly it's Brendan's character that gets me. He comes across as a weird little arrogant man and runs his teams into the ground.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#67 » by SgtPepper » Sat Jun 3, 2023 12:45 am

I honestly prefer Brendan to Luis Enrique. From your lens you may think this is my Madrid bias showing, but to that I say look at what nonsense he committed with the Spanish national team. Premature nonstarters like Eric Garcia started a bunch of games, trash footballers like Sergi Roberto who are at best versatile backups started, Enrique admitted he wasn't even aware that Spain could get ko'ed from the group stages of the WC during the third game and for 30 minutes Spain was on course to do so. On second thought he is a more Spursy coach. Would love to see him force a 433 on this squad with 5 cb's and a bunch of pure center forwards.
HIF
RealGM

Post#68 » by HIF » Sat Jun 3, 2023 8:50 am

SgtPepper wrote:I honestly prefer Brendan to Luis Enrique. From your lens you may think this is my Madrid bias showing, but to that I say look at what nonsense he committed with the Spanish national team. Premature nonstarters like Eric Garcia started a bunch of games, trash footballers like Sergi Roberto who are at best versatile backups started, Enrique admitted he wasn't even aware that Spain could get ko'ed from the group stages of the WC during the third game and for 30 minutes Spain was on course to do so. On second thought he is a more Spursy coach. Would love to see him force a 433 on this squad with 5 cb's and a bunch of pure center forwards.

hahaha ouch.

Baseline81
Starter

Post#69 » by Baseline81 » Sun Jun 4, 2023 8:07 pm

When fans began drawing up their list, I doubt any scribbled down the Celtic manager's name. Note, I'm not saying he'll be a poor decision as the club's next manager. What I am trying to convey is this is clearly not the path or direction Tottenham originally had in mind after letting Conte go.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Baphomet » Sun Jun 4, 2023 10:42 pm

Baseline81 wrote:

When fans began drawing up their list, I doubt any scribbled down the Celtic manager's name. Note, I'm not saying he'll be a poor decision as the club's next manager. What I am trying to convey is this is clearly not the path or direction Tottenham originally had in mind after letting Conte go.

You'd be surprised, a few fans on SC were talking Ange up right from the beginning.

Most are not particularly keen, though.
HIF
RealGM

Post#71 » by HIF » Mon Jun 5, 2023 4:15 pm

It'll be interesting, certainly a "lower" tier coach than they've been used to.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Baphomet » Mon Jun 5, 2023 5:43 pm

HIF wrote:It'll be interesting, certainly a "lower" tier coach than they've been used to.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit underwhelmed. But it's likely my expectations have been off base.

Footballing philosophy seems very attacking, brave but perhaps a little naive from what I saw of them against Real Madrid in the CL group stages this season.

Pretty comprehensive tactical breakdown:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/ange-postecoglou-celtic-australia/

Postecoglou seems like an interesting fellow, there are a few insightful articles about his personal background and managerial history. In terms of his character, he gives me Martin Jol vibes who is still a bit of a cult hero at Spurs. Can't fault him in that regard, seems like a great guy. Whether his managerial style will translate to a higher quality of league, we'll see.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#73 » by Baseline81 » Mon Jun 5, 2023 6:13 pm

Baphomet wrote:I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit underwhelmed. But it's likely my expectations have been off base.

Footballing philosophy seems very attacking, brave but perhaps a little naive from what I saw of them against Real Madrid in the CL group stages this season.

Pretty comprehensive tactical breakdown:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/ange-postecoglou-celtic-australia/

Postecoglou seems like an interesting fellow, there are a few insightful articles about his personal background and managerial history. In terms of his character, he gives me Martin Jol vibes who is still a bit of a cult hero at Spurs. Can't fault him in that regard, seems like a great guy. Whether his managerial style will translate to a higher quality of league, we'll see.

I did try to warn you earlier in this thread...
HIF
RealGM

Post#74 » by HIF » Tue Jun 6, 2023 7:51 am

Talk that you may be after Maddison.

Baseline81
Starter

Post#75 » by Baseline81 » Tue Jun 6, 2023 11:50 am

Read on Twitter
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Baphomet » Tue Jun 6, 2023 6:40 pm

HIF wrote:Talk that you may be after Maddison.

We will need a playmaker in midfield, so he's a perfect choice.

But I think he'd rather go to Newcastle to play CL football, assuming they're still interested.
HIF
RealGM

Post#77 » by HIF » Wed Jun 7, 2023 8:00 am

Baphomet wrote:
HIF wrote:Talk that you may be after Maddison.

We will need a playmaker in midfield, so he's a perfect choice.

But I think he'd rather go to Newcastle to play CL football, assuming they're still interested.

That's what I thought but read that youe new manager has him as a priority - probably just BS though.

You should snap Youri Tielemans up. Can't believe that he's considering going to Villa.

SgtPepper
Junior

Post#78 » by SgtPepper » Thu Jun 8, 2023 12:21 pm

Media rumors are that Levy is playing hardball with Madrid on fees. This makes little sense strategically considering this is the last window Levy can collect a transfer fee on the player, it's probably in the player's interest to leave this season than next, and the foreign demand for him in Europe will likely be higher than domestic. I guess my questions are: How strong is Kane's EPL bias? Would he prefer a Utd that has been in top 4 once every 5 years over a Bayern or Real?
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Baphomet » Thu Jun 8, 2023 5:56 pm

SgtPepper wrote:Media rumors are that Levy is playing hardball with Madrid on fees. This makes little sense strategically considering this is the last window Levy can collect a transfer fee on the player, it's probably in the player's interest to leave this season than next, and the foreign demand for him in Europe will likely be higher than domestic. I guess my questions are: How strong is Kane's EPL bias? Would he prefer a Utd that has been in top 4 once every 5 years over a Bayern or Real?

I don't know, to my knowledge he doesn't have any particular Premier League bias other than wanting to break Alan Shearer's all-time PL goals record.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Baphomet » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:08 pm

Sad to hear about the extent of Dele Alli's mental troubles, and childhood trauma. The interview he did with Gary Neville is worth a watch if anyone's curious.

I hope he's able to get back to playing football at the level he's capable of again, but above all I hope he is able to stay well.

Return to The General Soccer Board