2022-23 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,623

Post#1 » by Baphomet » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:53 pm

Discuss the forthcoming Bundesliga season here.

Current holders are Bayern Munich.

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,456

Re: 2022-23 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#2 » by Foye » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:11 am

2nd league starts this weekend.
Cup in 2 weeks.
1st in 3 weeks.
mas1977
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#3 » by mas1977 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:55 am

They found a tumor in Haller's testicles. He was feeling sick and after research they found it. Terrible news. Stay strong Seb
Foye

Post#4 » by Foye » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:43 am

Our season starts on Sunday.
Feels like we need a strong right CB and a quality winger to become more stable on defense and less predictable on offense going into the new season.
Although, it doesn't seem like much will happen. If so, only late in the window.

If we don't sign anyone, I am expecting to finish the season in the 8-12 range...two hits on the transfer market and we could definitely make some more noise. The league isn't that strong behind Bayern and we could take advantage of other teams dealing with injuries from the world cup.
Foye

Post#5 » by Foye » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:40 pm

Leverkusen losing in the first round of the Cup at Elversberg (3rd league).

Lets hope we can do it better in Aue tomorrow haha
Foye

Post#6 » by Foye » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:50 pm

What a game by Musiala once again.

This guy is probably the best player on Bayern already.

De Ligt meanwhile…I see him ending up as a flop.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#7 » by HIF » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:52 am

Foye wrote:What a game by Musiala once again.

Do you think it's because of the extreme expectations at such a young age or simply lack of ability?
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#8 » by HIF » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:52 am

Do you think it's because of the extreme expectations at such a young age or simply lack of ability?

HIF
RealGM

Post#9 » by HIF » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:52 am

Foye

Post#10 » by Foye » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:47 pm

HIF wrote:

I think he doesn’t have enough speed for a guy with that price tag.
Foye

Post#11 » by Foye » Mon Aug 1, 2022 7:00 am

3:0 victory at Aue.

Still could use a quick CB with playmaking abilities and a decent winger.

Leverkusen, Cologne and Hertha all out in the first round.
KG Leonard
Senior
And1: 410

Post#12 » by KG Leonard » Fri Aug 5, 2022 3:03 pm

Musiala is soo talented, can be become world class but he is far off the level of Mane,Muller,Sane,Gabry right now simply because he is uneven like many wonderkids. He held the ball too long, went to dribble through the defence when others could score an open chance. He can become a technical version of Muller if he learns to become more of a playmaker because he can score easily with his quick feet. Crazy how many players like him they have..
Foye

Post#13 » by Foye » Fri Aug 5, 2022 8:34 pm

KG Leonard wrote:

Musiala is soo talented, can be become world class but he is far off the level of Mane,Muller,Sane,Gabry right now simply because he is uneven like many wonderkids. He held the ball too long, went to dribble through the defence when others could score an open chance. He can become a technical version of Muller if he learns to become more of a playmaker because he can score easily with his quick feet. Crazy how many players like him they have..

Musiala is much better than Sane already who is a frustrating player and makes way too many dumb decisions.
Musiala scored two goals again today.

Gnabry and Müller are more experienced but I watched both at the same age as Musiala. Musiala is heads and shoulders above both of them at age 19.

I was maybe exaggerating a little when I said best player at Bayern but Musiala is not far away from that.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,259

Post#14 » by Baseline81 » Fri Aug 5, 2022 8:55 pm

Honestly, unless you've grown up following a Bundesliga club, is there any reason for the casual fan to watch the league? How many years in a row has it been since Bayern have not won it?
Foye

Post#15 » by Foye » Fri Aug 5, 2022 11:17 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Honestly, unless you've grown up following a Bundesliga club, is there any reason for the casual fan to watch the league? How many years in a row has it been since Bayern have not won it?

Honestly, the league isn’t structured for competition at the top.
It is a shame.

The tv deal heavily favors the top teams (who have much more money from fanbase, international revenue anyway)
Bayern gets about 95 mil.
Mainz (11th in tv standings) gets 51 mil.
Bochum (18th in tv standings) gets 33 mil.

EPL has a much better deal. 20th I believe gets more than half the amount that the champion gets I believe.

For a small club like Mainz, even if we develop a young star like Burkardt at the moment, we will never be able to afford to pay him a great wage when he is in his prime under the current tv deal.

Plus, clubs are forbidden to have investors that have more than 49% control of the club. Which is okay, but there are numerous clubs like Leipzig, Hoffenheim, Augsburg, Leverkusen, Wolfsburg who have found a way to circumvent the 50+1 rules.
Hoffenheim for example, they would still be a lousy 8th league club if it wasn’t for the money of Dietmar Hopp, former SAP owner.

The regulations around the league are an absolute mess that basically cement Bayern at the top and Dortmund, Leipzig behind them. Simply because of significantly higher spending power than anyone else.

I pretty much don’t care what happens at the top anymore. My club who is coming from a rather small city has done an amazing job of staying in the öeacue for years now through great work and youth development. We have the most homegrown players in the league on our roster. It‘s amazing to see them compete despite the severe lack of financial parity around the league (and that is not only Bayern). The lack of parity sucks but I have lost hope that the league will ever realize the product would be much better if they distributed the money more evenly.
Young Stapler
General Manager
And1: 5,954

Post#16 » by Young Stapler » Sat Aug 6, 2022 6:59 am

Come on Effzeh!
Foye

Post#17 » by Foye » Sat Aug 6, 2022 3:45 pm

Starting the season with an away win in Bochum. Nice.
Foye

Post#18 » by Foye » Sat Aug 6, 2022 5:11 pm

Dortmund may be running out of strikers going into the season.

Haller out months.

Adeyemi subbed out with foot injury.

Only Moukoko left
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#19 » by wco81 » Sun Aug 7, 2022 1:41 pm

Foye wrote:
Baseline81 wrote:Honestly, unless you've grown up following a Bundesliga club, is there any reason for the casual fan to watch the league? How many years in a row has it been since Bayern have not won it?

It is a shame.

The tv deal heavily favors the top teams (who have much more money from fanbase, international revenue anyway)

EPL has a much better deal. 20th I believe gets more than half the amount that the champion gets I believe.

For a small club like Mainz, even if we develop a young star like Burkardt at the moment, we will never be able to afford to pay him a great wage when he is in his prime under the current tv deal.

Plus, clubs are forbidden to have investors that have more than 49% control of the club. Which is okay, but there are numerous clubs like Leipzig, Hoffenheim, Augsburg, Leverkusen, Wolfsburg who have found a way to circumvent the 50+1 rules.
Hoffenheim for example, they would still be a lousy 8th league club if it wasn’t for the money of Dietmar Hopp, former SAP owner.

The regulations around the league are an absolute mess that basically cement Bayern at the top and Dortmund, Leipzig behind them. Simply because of significantly higher spending power than anyone else.

I pretty much don’t care what happens at the top anymore. My club who is coming from a rather small city has done an amazing job of staying in the öeacue for years now through great work and youth development. We have the most homegrown players in the league on our roster. It‘s amazing to see them compete despite the severe lack of financial parity around the league (and that is not only Bayern). The lack of parity sucks but I have lost hope that the league will ever realize the product would be much better if they distributed the money more evenly.

I’m watching a series abouT Bayern, the season where they won the UCL in dominating fashion, wiping out Barca. Then the year following when they played in empty stadia.

Lot of interviews with the club leadership, who are all former great players like Khan. They tout how proud they are that they’re not owned by some billionaire and yet manage to be so successful. But they want to find ways to win the UCL 3 or 4 times rather than just once or twice in the next 10 years.

I didn’t know about the ownership rules or else some sheik or oligarch might have bought a Bundesliga club?

Didn’t know about the lopsided TV revenues favoring Bayern.
Foye

Post#20 » by Foye » Sun Aug 7, 2022 4:26 pm

wco81 wrote:
Foye wrote:

It is a shame.

I’m watching a series abouT Bayern, the season where they won the UCL in dominating fashion, wiping out Barca. Then the year following when they played in empty stadia.

Lot of interviews with the club leadership, who are all former great players like Khan. They tout how proud they are that they’re not owned by some billionaire and yet manage to be so successful. But they want to find ways to win the UCL 3 or 4 times rather than just once or twice in the next 10 years.

I didn’t know about the ownership rules or else some sheik or oligarch might have bought a Bundesliga club?

Didn’t know about the lopsided TV revenues favoring Bayern.

Well, Bayern have Allianz, Adidas, Deutsche Telekom and Audi giving them hundreds of millions in the past 20 years. They don’t need a sheikh.

Don’t think they ever played in empty stadiums in recent years (other than maybe friendlies). Allianz arena is usually sold out.

The 50+1 rule certainly prevents sheikhs / oligarchs buying clubs the way it’s been done in the Premier League.

Return to The General Soccer Board