2022-23 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,457

Re: 2022-23 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#41 » by Foye » Sat Oct 8, 2022 4:54 pm

Honestly, I don’t know any CM who is more impressive than Bellingham at the moment.

This guy is everywhere.
Foye

Post#42 » by Foye » Sat Oct 8, 2022 6:24 pm

What a finish
Foye

Post#43 » by Foye » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:35 pm

When you conceed in the 94th minute. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Foye

Post#44 » by Foye » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:40 pm

2:0 win in Bremen.

Great game even though we had some injuries and didn’t play with the best XI.
Foye

Post#45 » by Foye » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:35 pm

This Süle guy is hella overpaid.
Probably makes more money than the majority of our starting XI combined and joggs back in defense like a 60 y/o.
Foye

Post#46 » by Foye » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:17 am

Important game against Cologne today. Hoping to close out the week with a third win.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,624

Post#47 » by Baphomet » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:23 pm

Looking good for your boys, Foye.
Foye

Post#48 » by Foye » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:57 pm

Baphomet wrote:Looking good for your boys, Foye.

5:0. Was a great game at the stadium. 8-)

Good to get some confidence ahead of the away game in Munich next week
Foye

Post#49 » by Foye » Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:01 pm

Turns out the newly formed CB with Fernandes (DM - most expected him to leave before the season) and Caci (LB) is working pretty well. They weren’t tested much today.

We could definitely use another CB, though.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 858

Post#50 » by LDNMagic90 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:14 pm

Foye tell me about Bo Svensson? I’ve been seeing a lot of people praise him these days but I haven’t watched a lot of Mainz if I’m honest.
Foye

Post#51 » by Foye » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:51 pm

LDNMagic90 wrote:Foye tell me about Bo Svensson? I’ve been seeing a lot of people praise him these days but I haven’t watched a lot of Mainz if I’m honest.

December 23rd, 2020:
The team just gave away a 2:0 lead at home in the 2nd DFB-Cup round to 2nd league opposition Bochum.
Bundesliga: Positioned 17. with 7 points after 17 games (only one behind was Schalke due to goal difference). 8 points behind position 16.

Fast forward end of the season.
Finished the season as 12., well ahead the relegation spots.

What more do you need to know? :lol:

Regarding tactics:
He is a former defender, requests a lot of commitment from every single player to defend.
Formation is 3-5-2, or 5-3-2 whatever you want to call it.

I think if you offered him a player like Neymar, he would probably decline because he doesn’t defend. :lol:

We have shown significant defensive improvement under him both in pressuring the opponent in their own half and sitting back in our own half and not giving the opponent room to play.
That is although our defenders are fairly limited players.

On offense, we try to capitalize on winning the ball either through 2nd balls or pressuring the opponent into a mistake. The approach is fairly simple. When the ball is in a good position, try to play it fast into the dangerous area.
Our offense still isn‘t pretty, although it has gotten far better over time. But the strikers are sometimes not fresh enough in front of the goal to get a quality shot off because they are asked to defend all game.
CBs are an issue as well. Bell-Hack-Leitsch are too slow and not creative enough in initiating offense.
Now we are playing with a DM-CB-LB as the three CBs and it works much better.
We haven’t had a coach that is getting the most out of the players since Tuchel and Klopp. With Svensson, he is finally getting the most out of our squad again.

I am very happy with him.
Plus, we got a buttload of great talents coming out of our youth at the moment. If Svensson stays and we somehow manage to keep most of the team together (will be difficult), we will do very well in the next few years.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#52 » by LDNMagic90 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:49 pm

Foye wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:Foye tell me about Bo Svensson? I’ve been seeing a lot of people praise him these days but I haven’t watched a lot of Mainz if I’m honest.

December 23rd, 2020:
The team just gave away a 2:0 lead at home in the 2nd DFB-Cup round to 2nd league opposition Bochum.
Bundesliga: Positioned 17. with 7 points after 17 games (only one behind was Schalke due to goal difference). 8 points behind position 16.

Regarding tactics:
He is a former defender, requests a lot of commitment from every single player to defend.

I think if you offered him a player like Neymar, he would probably decline because he doesn’t defend. :lol:

We have shown significant defensive improvement under him both in pressuring the opponent in their own half and sitting back in our own half and not giving the opponent room to play.

On offense, we try to capitalize on winning the ball either through 2nd balls or pressuring the opponent into a mistake. The approach is fairly simple. When the ball is in a good position, try to play it fast into the dangerous area.
Our offense still isn‘t pretty, although it has gotten far better over time. But the strikers are sometimes not fresh enough in front of the goal to get a quality shot off because they are asked to defend all game.
CBs are an issue as well. Bell-Hack-Leitsch are too slow and not creative enough in initiating offense.
We haven’t had a coach that is getting the most out of the players since Tuchel and Klopp. With Svensson, he is finally getting the most out of our squad again.

Plus, we got a buttload of great talents coming out of our youth at the moment. If Svensson stays and we somehow manage to keep most of the team together (will be difficult), we will do very well in the next few years.

Thanks for this! Really insightful, I’ve been curious by him this season. I’ve seen a few posts saying he is one of the next good managers coming out of the Bundesliga. I think I’m going to watch some Mainz games when I get a chance but once again thank you for this post 8-)
Foye

Post#53 » by Foye » Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:19 pm

LDNMagic90 wrote:
Foye wrote:

December 23rd, 2020:

Regarding tactics:

Thanks for this! Really insightful, I’ve been curious by him this season. I’ve seen a few posts saying he is one of the next good managers coming out of the Bundesliga. I think I’m going to watch some Mainz games when I get a chance but once again thank you for this post 8-)

You are welcome.

What I especially like is that 12 of 27 players on the roster are local players who have played in Mainz youth (U19 and below) and 9 of them have gotten minutes already this year.
That is pretty unique in the Bundesliga right now. Only club who comes close to this is Freiburg who are also doing an amazing job in the youth department.

When I look over to Eintracht Frankfurt for example. They basically don’t have anyone on their roster that went through their youth academy and is given the chance to play.

The football in Mainz may not always be perfect and some players are fairly limited because our budget is rather low but I like the general approach with developing own players much more than buying them from everywhere.

Svensson could do a better job sometimes giving them minutes to the young guys. But he will only give minutes when they earn it. Which is the right way to be honest.

Take Nelson Weiper for example who has just recently made his Bundesliga debut. The guy is 17 years and in his 10th year at Mainz.
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer

Post#54 » by LDNMagic90 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:44 am

Foye wrote:
LDNMagic90 wrote:
Foye wrote:
December 23rd, 2020:

Regarding tactics:

You are welcome.

What I especially like is that 12 of 27 players on the roster are local players who have played in Mainz youth (U19 and below) and 9 of them have gotten minutes already this year.
That is pretty unique in the Bundesliga right now. Only club who comes close to this is Freiburg who are also doing an amazing job in the youth department.

When I look over to Eintracht Frankfurt for example. They basically don’t have anyone on their roster that went through their youth academy and is given the chance to play.

The football in Mainz may not always be perfect and some players are fairly limited because our budget is rather low but I like the general approach with developing own players much more than buying them from everywhere.

Svensson could do a better job sometimes giving them minutes to the young guys. But he will only give minutes when they earn it. Which is the right way to be honest.

Take Nelson Weiper for example who has just recently made his Bundesliga debut. The guy is 17 years and in his 10th year at Mainz.

I will always respect and have time for managers wanting to bring in youth and give them a chance. It speaks volume of their man management ability and also talent id.

It sounds like Mainz are in good hands with Svensson!
Foye

Post#55 » by Foye » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:24 pm

6-2 loss at Bayern.

Did okay on offense but terrible defensive.
ZoLo
Senior
And1: 305

Post#56 » by ZoLo » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:40 pm

That was one of the worst referee jobs i have ever seen in my life. A complete disaster in favor of Dortmund. And VAR has proven once again to be utterly useless. Did they even show up to work in Cologne? What a joke.

We still had enough chances to win this game though. Even with all the **** going on against us.
Foye

Post#57 » by Foye » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:03 pm

ZoLo wrote:That was one of the worst referee jobs i have ever seen in my life. A complete disaster in favor of Dortmund. And VAR has proven once again to be utterly useless. Did they even show up to work in Cologne? What a joke.

We still had enough chances to win this game though. Even with all the **** going on against us.

You must have never seen a game with Felix Brych?
He is easily worse.

You couldn’t have complained if you were down to 10 man. Pellegrini was already on a yellow and then gave Adeyemi a clear shove to the face.

On the penalty situation. Yes, it probably was a penalty but I can see why the referee didn’t call it. I don’t know many players who are falling this easily in that situation. Adeyemi is barely a man himself. The dude isn’t able to lay anyone on the ground but Lindströms 50 kilos haha. Plus Lindström was pushing before he got pushed. Could’ve even been offensive foul on a review. But Süle and his 100 kilo don’t fly around so fancy like Lindströms 50 kilos.

That said, you still should’ve won the game. Enough chances to score.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,433

Post#58 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:38 pm

OT: Any German NFL fans plan on being in Munich this weekend?

The Seahawks & Bucs are playing the first regular season NFL game in Germany on Sunday.

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Foye

Post#59 » by Foye » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:26 am

ZoLo wrote:That was one of the worst referee jobs i have ever seen in my life. A complete disaster in favor of Dortmund. And VAR has proven once again to be utterly useless. Did they even show up to work in Cologne? What a joke.

I have to admit the Kolo Mouani is a pretty awesome player.
Him showcasing his diving skills was hella annoying yesterday, though.

I know Rebstockbad in Frankfurt is currently demolished due to rebuilding but jesus can someone build a private pool for him or something? Clearly needs an alternative place where he can act out his career as a diver instead of the football pitch...
Foye

2022-23 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#60 » by Foye » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:28 am

Brajan Gruda signed his first professional deal yesterday

That makes him the fifth Mainz youth player signing his first professional deal this year.

The others:
Bobzien
Shabani
Weiper
Schulz

Hopefully, they’ll sign Kaygin soon, too.

Looking forward to see these guys develop.

Return to The General Soccer Board