ImageFrance

STANDINGS & SCHEDULES

:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#2 » by Slava » Tue May 27, 2008 8:50 am

This is a tough group. One of the top 3 teams will be disappointed to miss out. I'd pick Italy and Netherlands to go through.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#3 » by tkb » Tue May 27, 2008 11:36 am

Agree with the picks. I think Italy will move on for sure, and the dogfight will be between Netherlands and France.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#4 » by 5DOM » Tue May 27, 2008 12:18 pm

good luck to all four teams.

they need it lol
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#5 » by BlackMamba » Tue May 27, 2008 1:41 pm

awesome job j-far :clap: :clap:
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#6 » by El Turco » Tue May 27, 2008 4:02 pm

italy and netherlands.

France is missing a consistent firepower up front which will be the difference. Leaving out Trezegol might be a deadly mistake.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by BlackMamba » Tue May 27, 2008 4:26 pm

yeah, i don't like domenech, his worst mistake was not taking trezeguet, so i predict bottom of the group for them!

italy with the experience they have will almost walk to the next round.

i like romania, but netherlands have far greater talent and van basten needs to have a good tournament.
SashAlex
Lead Assistant
And1: 345

Post#8 » by SashAlex » Tue May 27, 2008 4:31 pm

Nobody is mentioning Romania ??

Why if they go through ? They can play against top teams and Victor Piturca is the most underrated top european coach !
It's just three games !? Three games they'll push hard. :D

France are not at their best. Italy too. Netherlands ? They finished 2nd in the qualifyings behind Romania. :D

I'll post my opinions later about each of the teams.
El Turco

Post#9 » by El Turco » Tue May 27, 2008 4:33 pm

Romania has a good chance especially with Mutu on form, i ll take them over France at this point but i think they ll end up missing out in the last game.

i always root for Romania and Italy when they are not playing Turkey, unfortunately they ended up in the same group.

BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by BlackMamba » Tue May 27, 2008 4:43 pm

well, romania could take advantage of the preassure on the other 3, but they will deffinitelly not beat italy.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,111

Post#11 » by magik9113 » Tue May 27, 2008 5:36 pm

I'm not used to all the Italy love. It kind of scares me because for some reason they used to always be rated under the other European powers. They have the strongest roster they've had for a while, but I'd be a lot more confident if Lippi was still coaching

I predict France ties all of their games and hopefully finishes last. Besides Ribery they are solid but quite boring nowdays.

Romania has a chance to upset someone but they just don't seem strong enough....but if they do pull off an upset somewhere anything could happen in such a strong group where 3 teams could beat eachother.
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#12 » by a-rod » Tue May 27, 2008 6:13 pm

overall I'm rooting For France and Netherlands baby....

go netherlands!
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#13 » by Point forward » Tue May 27, 2008 7:34 pm

Group of death. I really can see ITA not making it, because they rule the KO stage but usually suck in the first round.
b-ball forever
General Manager
And1: 498

Post#14 » by b-ball forever » Tue May 27, 2008 8:56 pm

ROFL, u guys who think France shuda taken Trezeguet got absolutely no clue what you're talkin bout. Watch the games first then talk.
And I'm talkin bout watchin the games that are actually revelant to the tourney, not Juventus.

Trezeguet's crap play and bitchin are the last thing the French team needs.
Henry/Benzema/Anelka have all been a hell lot better then Trezeguet on the French team. Heck, even Govou and Cisse played better then Trezeguet

Yeah, he's good in Juve, but over the past 3 years he's had plenty of opportunities to prove himself worth pickin up, but flat out sucked every single time he played for France.
Over the past 3 years dude got called up 16 times, but was terrible in every game and only scored 3 times, with all 3 of those goals comin against crap teams only (China, Israel, n Faeroe Islands).
He went scoreless at the world cup and on top of it missed his penalty shot in the final vs Italy.

Good ridance. Too bad he sucks now cuz he used to be 1 of my fave players in the early 2Ks, but he def won't be missed.
b-ball forever
General Manager
And1: 498

Post#15 » by b-ball forever » Tue May 27, 2008 9:12 pm

And I don't really like Domenech, but he's proved to be a legit coach by taking the team to the WC finals in 2006.
Not to mention he won several international tourneys with the French junior team before he got the 1st team coach job.
Can't argue with the results.

Last time Doenech fu*ked up by leaving off Anelka, but the only mistake he did this year was leave off Gael Clichy.
Left-backs Abidal and Evra are both as good Clichy tho, so he won't be missed anyways.

I think France and Italy go thru, but won't be surprised if it's France/Netherlands.

Italy doesn't have Lippi as coach anymore, so even if they make it thru the group stage I don't see em goin far this time with friggin Donadoni.

Donadoni, now there's a coach who has good chances of fu*kin things up for ya.
Andris
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#16 » by Andris » Tue May 27, 2008 9:50 pm

I wish Germany was in this group... what a joke.... look at the Germany's
group and look at this one....
Italy and France had a hard time to qualify, they will have a hard time
again....
I would love to see Romania or Holland to upset one of them....
GSW fan since the Joe Barry Carroll years...
uweblab
Junior

Post#17 » by uweblab » Tue May 27, 2008 11:26 pm

My prediction: Good-bye France! :wave:
Uwe 4 Prez!
El Turco

Post#18 » by El Turco » Wed May 28, 2008 4:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOceGLd8KEQ

italian training camp> all.

fc_dinamo
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by fc_dinamo » Wed May 28, 2008 7:49 am

Well I'm Romanian and let me tell you guys, there's more to the team than just Cristi Chivu and Adi Mutu. Sure they're the stars that play with the big time Italian clubs, but the lesser known players - Ciprian Marica, Nicolae Dica, Banel Nicolita and Dorin Goian are also really good. Marica plays with Stuttgart and has been in form during qualifying. Dica was rumored to move to Porto or an EPL team but Steaua owner Becali wanted too much cash. Goian was linked w/ Roma and he scored the only goal in Romania's 1-0 win over the Netherlands in the qualifiers. Nicolita is young and just coming on the scene but he'll gain some support. If these guys were from different countries, I'm sure they'd be playing for big name teams because they're just as good as their Italian or Spanish counterparts. But from Romania, it's usually just the supertalents like Hagi or Mutu that get signed by the big teams in Europe.

I'm just saying that, most ppl have already overlooked us as the 4th team that should just be happy with returning to Euro. Well let me say, that in 2000, we advanced and we were in a group with Portugal, England and Germany.

I definitely think we can and we will advance.

Usually I'd pull for France but the omission of my fav. French player from the team has enraged me so much against Dom (more like Dum) that I hope they crash so he can lose his job.

Italy...I won't feel bad if they don't make it because most of the team already has a WC.

Netherlands I wish them luck but I hate van Basten. Racist unfair coach. However this is probably Van Nistelrooy's last major tournament with the team and it'd be nice if they made a run.
fc_dinamo
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by fc_dinamo » Wed May 28, 2008 7:56 am

b-ball forever wrote:ROFL, u guys who think France shuda taken Trezeguet got absolutely no clue what you're talkin bout. Watch the games first then talk.
And I'm talkin bout watchin the games that are actually revelant to the tourney, not Juventus.

Trezeguet's crap play and bitchin are the last thing the French team needs.
Henry/Benzema/Anelka have all been a hell lot better then Trezeguet on the French team. Heck, even Govou and Cisse played better then Trezeguet

Yeah, he's good in Juve, but over the past 3 years he's had plenty of opportunities to prove himself worth pickin up, but flat out sucked every single time he played for France.
Over the past 3 years dude got called up 16 times, but was terrible in every game and only scored 3 times, with all 3 of those goals comin against crap teams only (China, Israel, n Faeroe Islands).
He went scoreless at the world cup and on top of it missed his penalty shot in the final vs Italy.

Good ridance. Too bad he sucks now cuz he used to be 1 of my fave players in the early 2Ks, but he def won't be missed.

Trez has like 34 goals in around 70 games so...if he scored 3 in his last 16 you do the math and tell me how high his scoring average was before...

His Juve performances haven't dropped off, just his national team performances, so it's not a matter of being out of form. It's a matter of bad coaching and prejudiced coaching.

Similar to how **** Avocat (spelling but w/e) and racist van basten just dropped Patrick Kluivert from the team...

Return to The General Soccer Board