Hiddink to take over as Turkey coach

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Hiddink to take over as Turkey coach 

Post#1 » by 5DOM » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:06 am

Experienced Dutch coach Guus Hiddink has confirmed that he will leave his current position with Russia when his contract expires at the end of June to become Turkey's new manager.

The 63-year-old, who enjoyed a productive spell in charge of Chelsea last season, guiding the club to victory in the FA Cup final and to the semifinals of the Champions League, steps down from his current position after failing to guide Russia to this summer's World Cup in South Africa.

Hiddink has agreed to a two-year deal with Turkey with the option of two more years.

"The Turkish Football Federation chairman and vice chairman met Mr. Hiddink in Amsterdam (Tuesday) and agreed on a deal of four years, of which two years will be optional," read a federation statement.

Hiddink had been tipped to return to the Premier League in the summer with speculation linking him with the managerial position at Liverpool.

He has a wealth of international experience, having guided the Netherlands to the World Cup semifinals in 1998, South Korea to the last four in 2002 and Australia to the knockout stage four years ago.

Congratulations Turkey
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,623

Re: Hiddink to take over as Turkey coach 

Post#2 » by Slava » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:57 am

Really good move. He'll get the best out of the talent pool.

Hiddink seems a lot like a Larry Brown type in taking on challenges at smaller teams than star studded ones.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,737

Post#3 » by El Turco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:35 am

viewtopic.php?f=266&t=836069&start=420#p20906513

i called it, well kinda :D

best news i've heard for a long time, imo Hiddink is the best active NT coach behind Lippi.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Batu7
Starter
And1: 248

Post#4 » by Batu7 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:59 pm

I'll give it 4-5 months for our brilliant press to criticize the salary of Hiddink, even though he is reportedly taking half of what he was being paid in Russia. Brilliant choice though.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

- Vince Lombardi
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,737

Post#5 » by El Turco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:57 pm

didn't know he took a paycut, i would have been fine with paying what Russia paid him.

btw as far as i know Turkish FA is not using tax money but rather money from sponsors, gate receipts etc. don't know what the huge deal is.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Batu7
Starter
And1: 248

Post#6 » by Batu7 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:56 am

ElTurco wrote:didn't know he took a paycut, i would have been fine with paying what Russia paid him.

btw as far as i know Turkish FA is not using tax money but rather money from sponsors, gate receipts etc. don't know what the huge deal is.

Who cares? Terim was bashed heavily for what he earned, Hiddink will earn at least triple of Terim's salary.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

- Vince Lombardi
Smoove
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Smoove » Wed Mar 3, 2010 6:52 am

Congratulations Turkey! You got yourself a great manager now, hope you guys do great in the EURO CUP 2012, I am also happy we aren't in the same groups now finally!

It's crazy we were in Euro Cup 08 and World Cup 10 groups I thought it was going to be again! I do think I could have handled that drama for the 3rd time in a row!
BlackMama, my main mate!
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,623

Post#8 » by Slava » Sat Mar 6, 2010 9:39 am

I think he agreed to manage ivory Coast at the World cup. That team just became more dangerous, Portugal need to watch out.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to The General Soccer Board