ImageImageImage

Some perspective

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Some perspective 

Post#1 » by Sun Scorched » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:59 pm

I can get caught up as much as the next guy in the bad games we have on occasion, just thought some perspective would be a breath of fresh air.

The Celtics beat the Twolves by one point.

The Spurs beat Miami by one point.

Wait.. other teams can have bad nights against crappy teams? Huh?

Thought I would take the time to post this. Enjoy.

(These are averages)

1. The Suns outscore their oppenents 110 to 104.5

2. The Suns average 32.2 defensive rebounds. Their opponents avg. 32.3.

3. We give it up on the offensive end - 8.6 to 14.2... ouch.

4. Suns crush in assists, 27.7 to 20.4.

5. We lead our opponents in steals, block and have fewer turnovers per contest.

6. We take fewer free throws, but we make more of them because we shoot such a high percentage.

7. We have a better assist/turnover ratio than the avg.

8. We shoot almost 50% from the field and 40% from the arc. That's INSANE.

9. Our adjusted field goal percentage is 54.7%!
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
BurningHeart
General Manager
And1: 1,499

Post#2 » by BurningHeart » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:02 am

To borrow a line from Stevie...

"What can I say? We suck."
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#3 » by KJ7 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:10 am

To play devils advocate, the fact we shoot such a high % from the field means that our opponents miss more then we do so our defensive rebounds should be *much* higher than our opponents.

That's why there is such a huge diff in offensive rebounds compared to our opponents. When I check to see if we had a good rebounding night I always look at the oppositions offensive rebounds compared to ours (and I've heard D'Antoni say the same thing).

One thing I will say about opponents offensive rebounding tho is that I don't think it's as bad this season compared to other seasons. The reason is we are blocking more shots this season and therefore some of those mis-shots are going to be recollected by the opposition and that counts as an offensive rebound. Of course that sounds crazy as of late because our rebounding has sucked but I'm talking about throughout the season.
-SDU-
RealGM
And1: 30
Location: -SDU-'s hitlist - David Stern, Robert Horry, Stu Jackson, Tim Donaghy, Argentina, Doomsdayers

Post#4 » by -SDU- » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:14 am

to play devils advocate

the suns are the worst rebounding team in the NBA

no team has won the title being the worst rebounding team

but thats just humbug ;-) i have thought exactly what you posted SS, other teams have bad losses too
-SDU-
RealGM
Location: -SDU-'s hitlist - David Stern, Robert Horry, Stu Jackson, Tim Donaghy, Argentina, Doomsdayers

Post#5 » by -SDU- » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:17 am

KJ7 wrote:

To play devils advocate, the fact we shoot such a high % from the field means that our opponents miss more then we do so our defensive rebounds should be *much* higher than our opponents.

That's why there is such a huge diff in offensive rebounds compared to our opponents. When I check to see if we had a good rebounding night I always look at the oppositions offensive rebounds compared to ours (and I've heard D'Antoni say the same thing).

One thing I will say about opponents offensive rebounding tho is that I don't think it's as bad this season compared to other seasons. The reason is we are blocking more shots this season and therefore some of those mis-shots are going to be recollected by the opposition and that counts as an offensive rebound. Of course that sounds crazy as of late because our rebounding has sucked but I'm talking about throughout the season.

to steal a post from wormwood (phxsuns)

Here's a statistic for everyone to mull over:

There has not been a worse rebounding team that this year's suns this decade.

No team has had a worse offenseive rebounding percentage, overall percentage, and worst differential since at least 1999-2000 (the ESPN database only goes back to 2000-2001).

Not only that, we're the worst by a fair margin, especially in terms of offensive rebounding (.211 to .221) Only 14 teams in this time frame have had a worse defensive rebounding percentage.

not good
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#6 » by Sun Scorched » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:22 am

-SDU- wrote:to play devils advocate

the suns are the worst rebounding team in the NBA

no team has won the title being the worst rebounding team

but thats just humbug ;-) i have thought exactly what you posted SS, other teams have bad losses too

Unfortunately... a fantastic point....

I don't think that our team can't rebound. I think they don't because of our style of play. If after we take a perimeter shot we had our two gaurds drop back but had our forwards crash the boards i think we would look like any other team in the league.
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
ma_falaa_50
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#7 » by ma_falaa_50 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:16 am

All the suns need to do is rebound better as a team. Lb needs to rebound better. Marion and AMare needs to rebound better and Diaw needs to rebound better- The whole team needs to rebound better effortwise.

ALL the suns defeciencies they can rectify with the players they have but the players have to play with and for one another. A lot of times Amare blocks a shot and another player from the opposing team recovers the ball. Most rebounds lost are due to long rebounds so the guys on the perimeter has to hustle for those. Rotations needs to get better too. When AMare, or shanw rotate to help blcok the shot someone has to rotate to prevent amare's or shawn's man to sneak in for a put back.

If the suns really put an effort to it they can rebound better but they have to commit to it.

gut check time suckas!
-SDU-
RealGM

Post#8 » by -SDU- » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:37 am

i find that the suns "chase the ball" too much when rebounding. they run around trying to get the ball

as opposed to all 5 players, box someone out, get infront of your man and the ball will come to you

instead of trying to outjump people and getting the ball at its highest point, we should be out positioning them and letting the ball come to us

90% of good rebounding is footwork and position and it takes all 5 players to do it, if 4 box out and 1 doesnt itll be his man getting the board

i tend to play on alot of good rebounding teams, and its not always because i get alot of boards, but i always box out which usually leaves our other rebounders to get an uncontested board

boxing out is far more important than "crashing the boards"

diaw is the only sun ive seen consistently box out
Black Jesus 1
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#9 » by Black Jesus 1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:32 am

^Agreed about Diaw, SDU

Everyone else just does like you said .. "trying to outjump people and getting the ball at its highest point, "

Amare needs to at least gain Diaw's boxing out
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,335

Post#10 » by TASTIC » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:50 am

Sweet sig BJ, very noice.

Unfortunately the guy who could help us the most left town and took 2 1st rounders with him...any chance we throw the TE back at SEA for a 2 month rental of KT? pleeeeeeeeeeeease!?!?!?
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#11 » by nevetsov » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:45 am

TASTIC wrote:Sweet sig BJ, very noice.

Unfortunately the guy who could help us the most left town and took 2 1st rounders with him...any chance we throw the TE back at SEA for a 2 month rental of KT? pleeeeeeeeeeeease!?!?!?

I don't think KT can be traded back to Phoenix this season under the CBA. I'd have to check up on it though.
guaves13
Veteran
And1: 3

Post#12 » by guaves13 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:40 pm

-SDU- wrote:i find that the suns "chase the ball" too much when rebounding. they run around trying to get the ball

as opposed to all 5 players, box someone out, get infront of your man and the ball will come to you

instead of trying to outjump people and getting the ball at its highest point, we should be out positioning them and letting the ball come to us

90% of good rebounding is footwork and position and it takes all 5 players to do it, if 4 box out and 1 doesnt itll be his man getting the board

i tend to play on alot of good rebounding teams, and its not always because i get alot of boards, but i always box out which usually leaves our other rebounders to get an uncontested board

boxing out is far more important than "crashing the boards"

diaw is the only sun ive seen consistently box out
Another reason why he should be starting in place of GH.
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Re: Some perspective 

Post#13 » by JohnVancouver » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:26 pm

[quote="Sun Scorched"]I can get caught up as much as the next guy in the bad games we have on occasion, just thought some perspective would be a breath of fresh air.

The Celtics beat the Twolves by one point.

The Spurs beat Miami by one point.

Wait.. other teams can have bad nights against crappy teams? Huh?

fair enough, but they *won* by one or two points. We lose to these teams through ... just not being into it enough. I don't know if a team can win a championship when they have trouble getting motivated against lesser teams and can't execute their plan.
Don't great teams generally win the games they ought to and are competitive in all the rest? I love this team but aside from rebounding, defense and all the other things we carp about my big worry is a lack of mental toughness. And that breeds bad habits and makes you weak.
JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Post#14 » by JohnVancouver » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:30 pm

Black Jesus 1 wrote:^Agreed about Diaw, SDU

Everyone else just does like you said .. "trying to outjump people and getting the ball at its highest point, "

Amare needs to at least gain Diaw's boxing out

To be fair to Stat, because he gets ripped for this a lot, I've been watching him and he is much better lately at establishing position and boxing out - it amazes how players at this level are so lacking in fundamentals. I mean, they're fundamentals for a reason ... they consistently work to give you an advantage.
i suppose when you have such great natural ability coaches have a hard time at any level getting these guys to buy into the boring stuff. But look at Duncan - he does all the boring, make the coach happy stuff and he gets the rewards for it.

Return to Phoenix Suns