ImageImageImage

Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion Pt. 1

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Re: Trade & FA Ideas & Discussion 

Post#61 » by DirtyDez » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:49 am

In2ition wrote:I don't see the Durant or Davis comps for Bagley. I honestly see him as a more perimeter skilled young Amare. Both Durant and Davis started at the perimeter, but Bagley has always been a big man. Just so athletic and worked hard on his perimeter skills.

Also, Ayton is nowhere near as athletic as Howard or Robinson. I see him as a center version of LMA.

Bagley is a more explosive Bosh. Both Durant and Davis could shoot well but Bagley hasn't developed that part of his game yet. Still one of the best HS prospects of the past 10 years.

The tank race this year will be one for the ages in the East.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#62 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:52 am

Sunzgunz wrote:
Frank Lee wrote:With you Fo
No trades unless it makes us better for certain. Cant continue to rely on speculation. We wont find a better PG this year, and really, after sitting Bled for a month, he deserves a chance to run the show. Besides, he is our dance ticket for when Boogie Fever hits the league. Long shot I know, but there are not but a few players DMC said he wants to play with.

Interesting article/rumor on the Cavs holding out for a young star and hoping for Zinger. Any doubts they are preparing for a James-less future ? Chris could be considered that star as he certainly is by us. But I think McD says nuts to trading for a player who isn't enrolling long term in Watson's Daycare Center. Especially when the price is Bled plus plus.. Too much to lose for a risky gain. We need to stop the trend of replacing legit talent for projected or temporary talent. The core is set for the next 3-4 years..... Book, Jackson, Warren, Bender, Chris, Ulis, Williams. I can live with that .... at least for this year.

Probably long overdue; but FrankIy, I like the way you write! I dont always agree with you, but i usually dont agree with myself when i read it back a day or two later (sometimes ive gone 540 by the time I hit submit, h3ll, a few times I didnt even hit submit, i previewed and the crap was so disagreeable i erased it all; im certain ill have the first heated argumentive debate, point vs counter point, with one author, in one post, that i can report to the mod and +1 before I erase it all and scrutinize every anticipated response. Sometimes no response is the best response, in my case its usually the only response).

All 'bad jokes' aside, i actually tend to agree with you quite a bit. I think your just a little more cynical, or ballsy, .....or both!

I think, due to our lack of new content here, in situations that you write something you find disagreeable with while previewing it, you should go ahead and post anyway, and then argue against that post.

I think this would be really interesting with Nav as well. I think he could provide some very long rebuttals against his own arguments, and then prove his own rebuttal incorrect as well. This could likely go on forever.
In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#63 » by In2ition » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:05 am

DirtyDez wrote:
In2ition wrote:I don't see the Durant or Davis comps for Bagley. I honestly see him as a more perimeter skilled young Amare. Both Durant and Davis started at the perimeter, but Bagley has always been a big man. Just so athletic and worked hard on his perimeter skills.

Also, Ayton is nowhere near as athletic as Howard or Robinson. I see him as a center version of LMA.

Bagley is a more explosive Bosh. Both Durant and Davis could shoot well but Bagley hasn't developed that part of his game yet. Still one of the best HS prospects of the past 10 years.

The tank race this year will be one for the ages in the East.

I see Bosh, but Bagley wants to tear down the rim and serve a facial every time he can. Agreed about the East tank job. Hopefully it's only a couple teams and Brooklyn is much better.
Dambo
Senior
And1: 253

Post#64 » by Dambo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:08 am

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/police-investigating-robert-horry-fist-fight/#Lt3zfiTvcCLM8v0p.97

So Horry is being investigated over a fist fight.
I say put that sack of sh** behind bars.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#65 » by LukasBMW » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:22 am

Dambo wrote:http://www.slamonline.com/nba/police-investigating-robert-horry-fist-fight/#Lt3zfiTvcCLM8v0p.97

I hate Horry. But we'll have to put him behind bars on something else. The video clearly shows that the other guy not only initiated contact but also initiated the confrontation.

Plus, even if Horry walked up to a stranger and landed a sucker punch from behind, he'd get probation.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#66 » by LukasBMW » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:27 am

1UPZ wrote:I'd give 30 plus minutes to Reed, Jackson, Ulis, Chriss and Bender...

I call it... Investment Tanking.

Develop your players while losing and getting a top 5 pick.

Again... if the team played well enough to win, so be it.

Ideally, I want them to be within 5 points of every game and lose very closely... atleast every game would be fun to watch and would develop the players mental fortitude... will help them develop killer instinct and competitiveness..

Investment tanking! I'm on board

Ulis (35 minutes)/(Someone else 13 minutes)
Booker (38 minutes)/Reed (10 minutes)
Jackson (30 minutes)/TJ (18 minutes)
TJ (18 minutes)(Chris 30 minutes)
Bender (35 minutes)/Len-OR-Sauce(13 minutes)

Now we just gotta move Bledsoe and Tyson for picks or another young PG.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,633

Post#67 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:28 am

LukasBMW wrote:
Dambo wrote:http://www.slamonline.com/nba/police-investigating-robert-horry-fist-fight/#Lt3zfiTvcCLM8v0p.97

I hate Horry. But we'll have to put him behind bars on something else. The video clearly shows that the other guy not only initiated contact but also initiated the confrontation.

Plus, even if Horry walked up to a stranger and landed a sucker punch from behind, he'd get probation.

If I have to throw hands to protect my kids from a hostile and aggressive stranger, I'd do it.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#68 » by Mr Puddles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:09 am

LukasBMW wrote:

Plus, even if Horry walked up to a stranger and landed a sucker punch from behind, the police would arrest Amare Stoudamire and Boris Diaw.

Fixed
Spoiler:
JDLAW
Suns Forum CBA and Legal Expert
And1: 1,301

Post#69 » by JDLAW » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:20 am

Since there is a lull here and all of the Irving trade talk has been deconstructed to its subatomic dust, I thought it might be fun to pose a NBA – legal hypothetical to see how you’d all would answer.

Hypothetical

Suppose the Cleveland Cavs do not get an “acceptable” offer for Irving and they go to camp with him and LeBron still feuding. Training camp for the Cavs is downright horrible. James and Irving do not talk to each other on, or off the court and when they are on the court together, they play as though the other one is not there. They don’t pass to each other they play team defense by helping each other. The other players on the team are also fractured some align with Irving and some with LeBron. It is as ugly as you could imagine. Halfway through the pre-season games, things get so bad that the state of the Cavs becomes a national story.

LeBron goes to Cavs management and tells them that unless this gets straightened out they will have no chance to keep him after the season ends. And under no circumstances will he waive his no-trade clause.

The media/press stokes the flames with stories that say in essence, there is no point in watching the NBA because the Cavs are the only possible team that can give GS a serious run. Adam Silver is very concerned – he needs to get this straightened out and quickly. He calls Gilbert.

Gilbert tells Silver that he needs to deal Irving, but no one will negotiate with him. All of the offers are terrible and leave Cleveland in a lurch. He then focuses on the Suns and tells Silver that they had a deal in principle before the draft in which Irving would go to the Suns for Bledsoe, the 4th pick in the 2017 draft (nka Jackson) and a 2018 first round pick. He then tells Silver that if he could resurrect that trade all would be well in LeBron – land. He goes on to tell Silver that the trade would be terrific for the Suns as Irving and Booker would raise the Suns fortunes tremendously.

Silver calls the Suns and, acting as a mediator, impresses on the Suns brass that this trade would be good for both teams and for the league. He intimates that if the Sun;s will cooperate he can make sure that the League will look favorably upon the Suns in the next lottery. The Suns interpret this to mean they will get the 1st pick – a position they have never had.

Questions:

1. What do the Suns do?
2. Assuming the Suns make the trade, what does the league owe them if :
a. The Suns are in the lottery? What if they are the last team in the lottery? Can Silver deliver the #1?
b. The Suns make the playoffs, what does the league do to compensate them?
c. The Suns are sitting at #3 in the pre-lottery and actually drop 3 places? In other words Silver does not deliver?
d. Can the Suns sue the league for compensation? Could they win? Would it destroy the league?
3. If the Suns do not do the trade and the NBA season is seriously damaged. Can the league punish the Suns?

Have at it.
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,934

Post#70 » by carey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:57 am

JDLAW wrote:Since there is a lull here and all of the Irving trade talk has been deconstructed to its subatomic dust, I thought it might be fun to pose a NBA – legal hypothetical to see how you’d all would answer.

Hypothetical

Suppose the Cleveland Cavs do not get an “acceptable” offer for Irving and they go to camp with him and LeBron still feuding. Training camp for the Cavs is downright horrible. James and Irving do not talk to each other on, or off the court and when they are on the court together, they play as though the other one is not there. They don’t pass to each other they play team defense by helping each other. The other players on the team are also fractured some align with Irving and some with LeBron. It is as ugly as you could imagine. Halfway through the pre-season games, things get so bad that the state of the Cavs becomes a national story.

LeBron goes to Cavs management and tells them that unless this gets straightened out they will have no chance to keep him after the season ends. And under no circumstances will he waive his no-trade clause.

The media/press stokes the flames with stories that say in essence, there is no point in watching the NBA because the Cavs are the only possible team that can give GS a serious run. Adam Silver is very concerned – he needs to get this straightened out and quickly. He calls Gilbert.

Gilbert tells Silver that he needs to deal Irving, but no one will negotiate with him. All of the offers are terrible and leave Cleveland in a lurch. He then focuses on the Suns and tells Silver that they had a deal in principle before the draft in which Irving would go to the Suns for Bledsoe, the 4th pick in the 2017 draft (nka Jackson) and a 2018 first round pick. He then tells Silver that if he could resurrect that trade all would be well in LeBron – land. He goes on to tell Silver that the trade would be terrific for the Suns as Irving and Booker would raise the Suns fortunes tremendously.

Silver calls the Suns and, acting as a mediator, impresses on the Suns brass that this trade would be good for both teams and for the league. He intimates that if the Sun;s will cooperate he can make sure that the League will look favorably upon the Suns in the next lottery. The Suns interpret this to mean they will get the 1st pick – a position they have never had.

Questions:

1. What do the Suns do?
a. The Suns are in the lottery? What if they are the last team in the lottery? Can Silver deliver the #1?
c. The Suns are sitting at #3 in the pre-lottery and actually drop 3 places? In other words Silver does not deliver?
d. Can the Suns sue the league for compensation? Could they win? Would it destroy the league?
3. If the Suns do not do the trade and the NBA season is seriously damaged. Can the league punish the Suns?

Have at it.

We've hit peak off-season. Good lord.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,170

Post#71 » by Frank Lee » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:01 am

What ? Me Worry ?
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#72 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:21 am

Hurry up Cavs I need to decide whether I like this draft or not.
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Re: RE: Re: Trade & FA Ideas & Discussion 

Post#73 » by NavLDO » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:48 pm

BobbieL wrote:
jredsaz wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
I read this and hope the Suns stay firm in their commitment to Josh Jackson. Zero reason to move him. And by the looks of it - Celtics, Nuggets and Knicks aren't moving the young guys either

I still don't see the allure of the San Antonio trade long term for the Cavs. Green and LMA seem redundant when you have JR Smith, Kevin Love and its not like Tony Parker is the same guy he once was. So, like the writer says, without LeBron long term, those guys don't make sense. Heck for me, they don't make sense now!

As for the Suns, with Bagley in the class - that makes 5 legit guys: Porter, Bagley, Ayton, Bamba, Ancic at the top of the draft -- seems like its best to be a top 5 team next year. Trade Bled for Frank N and call it good. I am not sure its workth taking Noah because Knight is unmovable now -- - but if Chandler went - would think about it

NYK: Irving Knight - I get he is hurt but they are losing the Noah contract
Cleveland: Bledsoe, Chandler and picks from the Knicks

Suns: Noah, Frank N, Frye, Kuzminkas - cap filler

Suns would pretty much solidify a top 5 pick for one of the aforementioned players without wrecking long term cap too much

I wouldn't trade Bledsoe and cap space for Frank N and Noah. Noah has the worst contract in the NBA. We would need a puck coming back as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app

Its why I am trading Knight as both Noah and Knight have three years left with Noah a few million higher that last year. Let me be crystal clear - I would not take back Noah without somehow moving the Knight contract :)

And since that seems unrealistic - its not going to happen

With those players at the top 5 - almost ready to not make any trade that involves losing the Heat pick even. That might be enough to move up one spot in this draft.

I proposed a similar scenario in the previous thread. Noah for Knight just means we take on $4M per year.

If they want to win now, before Melo expires, we could trade them Bledsoe + BK, they give us Noah, Frank N. plus Willie Hernangomez + a draft pick for our troubles.

Bledsoe-Hardaway-Melo-Porzingis-O'Quinn (or squeeze in Lee push everyone else down and O'Quinn 'falls off'--either way) get's them a 4th Seed, or thereabouts.

We have the 'all-rookie' team...

Frank N. - Booker - Jackson - Chriss - Bender
Ulis - Reed - Jones Jr. - Warren - Sauce

(Oh, and not really, Jarlaxle, I know they aren't all rookies, just like Winslow, being a Top 5-ish PROSPECT being PICKED 10th is irrelevant, but different debate...)

http://www.nbadraft.net/ranking/bigboard/2015

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/6/23/8832521/nba-draft-rankings-2015-big-board-karl-towns

https://www.si.com/nba/2015/06/23/nba-draft-player-rankings-big-board-karl-anthony-towns-jahlil-okafor

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#74 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:20 pm

JDLAW wrote:Since there is a lull here and all of the Irving trade talk has been deconstructed to its subatomic dust, I thought it might be fun to pose a NBA – legal hypothetical to see how you’d all would answer.

Hypothetical

Questions:

1. What do the Suns do?

Have at it.

Surely you of all people don't think the lottery is fixed. BUT, assuming this fantasy is real I don't think they do it because Silver could still screw us, AND because there is never a sure thing and anyone could bust. Now of course Jackson is no sure thing either, but I probably wouldn't risk it.
NavLDO

Post#75 » by NavLDO » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm

No trades unless it makes us better for certain. Cant continue to rely on speculation. We wont find a better PG this year, and really, after sitting Bled for a month, he deserves a chance to run the show. Besides, he is our dance ticket for when Boogie Fever hits the league. Long shot I know, but there are not but a few players DMC said he wants to play with.

Interesting article/rumor on the Cavs holding out for a young star and hoping for Zinger. Any doubts they are preparing for a James-less future ? Chris could be considered that star as he certainly is by us. But I think McD says nuts to trading for a player who isn't enrolling long term in Watson's Daycare Center. Especially when the price is Bled plus plus.. Too much to lose for a risky gain. We need to stop the trend of replacing legit talent for projected or temporary talent. The core is set for the next 3-4 years..... Book, Jackson, Warren, Bender, Chris, Ulis, Williams. I can live with that .... at least for this year.

So that makes:
'13-'14
'14-'15
'15-'16
'16-'17
'17-'18

To me, '17-'18 should've been the season that McD took us to the playoffs. Remember our debates from a few years back, Frank? I was adamant that McD deserved the time, a couple more years to turn this team around; collect his 'assets' to bring in that star player? Well, per my time table (the only one that matters :eyebrows: ), McD needs to produce a winning team THIS year. We have an opportunity to start that trend by getting Kyrie in here. You want DMC? Our best chance is to have another star waiting for him as well. Kyrie is just not a 'temporary' talent; his 'draw' would be as a star, as well, that may bring in other 'stars'. Bledsoe's contract is up in two years as well. Why is that any different?

Losing Chriss would be a bummer, but the point was never to build an entire team from scratch; the point was to collect assets to trade for BIGGER assets, and now we have an opportunity. I'm usually not one for 'losing out' on trades, but in this scenario? I'd be ok, because it serves a purpose.

Cedi Osman's trade restriction, BTW, ends today...maybe that's what we are waiting on??

Bledsoe, Chriss, Our 2018 1st-Top 5 protected
for...
Irving, Osman

We get a young potential back, they get Chriss, and rising star, plus Bledsoe.

So now, with Irving, we have a no-kidding star. Whether he's an upgrade to Bledsoe is irrelevant. He's younger, fits our timeline better, and attract more 'all star' talent.

We still have Booker, Warren, Bender, Jackson, and now we have Kyrie. Booker, Warren progress, Kyrie is Kyrie, and the 'wildcards' are Bender and Jackson. If they come in 'hot', we're a playoff team.

I know many of you want to discount us, some because 'Vegas says so', some just because it's par for the course. Yet out of the other sides of your mouths, you talk about Warren and Booker as being top talents in the league, Jackson coming in and taking the league by storm, Bledsoe being 'as good as Kyrie', and Bender being the next great multi-purpose big. If that is all the case, why can't we compete with some of the lower end seeds?

Anyway, Frank, I think we should take the opportunity that is present, that does not present itself often. A 'star' is available for trade, and we have the pieces to make it work. In my mind, we take that opportunity and quit running, as you call it, a 'day care center'.
NavLDO

Post#76 » by NavLDO » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:11 pm

LukasBMW wrote:I'd trade Bledsoe AND Bender AND Chriss AND the Miami pick for KP.

Just imagine building around Booker/Jackson/KP.

:D

Better yet...

Bledsoe AND Bender AND Chriss AND the Miami pick...AND...Our '18 Pick AND Our '21 Pick (we own Miami's) for KP + Frank N.

Just imagine building around:

Frank N. / Booker / Jackson / Warren / KP...you forgot an integral piece. Warren is too good to be forgotten. Then, we have:

Ulis / Reed / Jones Jr. / Big Sauce...plus, still, a couple of vets, in Dudley/Chandler...then maybe, Mike James, Millsap. Next year, we get BK back, for better or worse, but point is, we have 9, no kidding talents aged 25 or younger,10 if we bring back Len.

Who cares about our pick next year when we will have all the pieces we need to succeed, again, 9 or 10 young players, for sure
--and this isn't directed toward you, Lukas--

WE...WILL...NOT...BE...PICKING...TOP...10...WITH...THAT...ROSTER.

So, who cares if we lose those picks with all that youth oozing with talent?
Not to mention
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#77 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:57 pm

NavLDO wrote:
LukasBMW wrote:I'd trade Bledsoe AND Bender AND Chriss AND the Miami pick for KP.

Just imagine building around Booker/Jackson/KP.

:D

Better yet...

Bledsoe AND Bender AND Chriss AND the Miami pick...AND...Our '18 Pick AND Our '21 Pick (we own Miami's) for KP + Frank N.

Just imagine building around:

Frank N. / Booker / Jackson / Warren / KP...you forgot an integral piece. Warren is too good to be forgotten. Then, we have:

Ulis / Reed / Jones Jr. / Big Sauce...plus, still, a couple of vets, in Dudley/Chandler...then maybe, Mike James, Millsap. Next year, we get BK back, for better or worse, but point is, we have 9, no kidding talents aged 25 or younger,10 if we bring back Len.

Who cares about our pick next year when we will have all the pieces we need to succeed, again, 9 or 10 young players, for sure
--and this isn't directed toward you, Lukas--

WE...WILL...NOT...BE...PICKING...TOP...10...WITH...THAT...ROSTER.

So, who cares if we lose those picks with all that youth oozing with talent?
Not to mention

You'd trade two unprotected picks for Frank N? That's pretty crazy. We'd still definitely be top 10 playing two rookies, one of them being really raw in our starting lineup. Booker was a net negative last year and Warren maybe a slight net positive.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#78 » by King4Day » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Sunzgunz wrote:

Probably long overdue; but FrankIy, I like the way you write! I dont always agree with you, but i usually dont agree with myself when i read it back a day or two later (sometimes ive gone 540 by the time I hit submit, h3ll, a few times I didnt even hit submit, i previewed and the crap was so disagreeable i erased it all; im certain ill have the first heated argumentive debate, point vs counter point, with one author, in one post, that i can report to the mod and +1 before I erase it all and scrutinize every anticipated response. Sometimes no response is the best response, in my case its usually the only response).

All 'bad jokes' aside, i actually tend to agree with you quite a bit. I think your just a little more cynical, or ballsy, .....or both!

Agreed here.
Frank's posts are usually the only ones I will always read, no matter how long.
Part of it is that he stated a while back that he's one of the more long-standing Suns fans and even back in the PSD forum days, I always would read closer to the more experiences posters comments.
Especially for posters who tread the line of controversial.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,206

Post#79 » by King4Day » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Hypothetical

Questions:

1. What do the Suns do?

Have at it.

Tough call. You noted that we'd include a 2018 first so I will assume that's the Miami pick. It's probably a tossup.

Can any of the bigs that are coming out pass like Jackson can and get to the basket or defend? I would probably stick with what we know. There's still a chance we'll end up with a high pick anyway. Would rather chance pairing Jackson with a top big in this draft than having Irving next to Booker and Warren. Too many defensive issues that we'd be hoping this new big man will be able to help fix.

OK I'll say no. Keep Jackson and take our chances next summer.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#80 » by ATTL » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Need another year to develop before playoff aspirations are reasonable. Go after a big free agent next summer and go for it. Dont blow our load before we have a reasonable shot to compete.

Return to Phoenix Suns