Less than $12m a year
7%

Total votes: 58

Blackification
Head Coach
And1: 2,229

Re: Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion Pt. 6 

Post#1741 » by Blackification » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:01 pm

jredsaz wrote:Booker came in - after what he considered a snub - and not only won but set a record. This kid is not going to miss his shot. Wow.

He is a killer, we all saw Harris and Lowry and PG13 when the pressure turns up, Booker didn't give a ****
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#1742 » by NTB » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Read on Twitter
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 13,933

Post#1743 » by grumpysaddle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 pm

NTB wrote:
Read on Twitter

I hope they saved some nachos for everyone else.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Post#1744 » by Wilber85 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:15 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
NTB wrote:
Read on Twitter

I hope they saved some nachos for everyone else.

Dudley is a scrub. Not sure how he is in the NBA
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1745 » by thamadkant » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:51 am

Relax there.

Dudley is overweight and overpaid... But prior to him being overweight he proved that he belongs in the NBA.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,359

Post#1746 » by AtheJ415 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:03 am

The draft will clarify FA. We need to draft whoever we think is the best. In this FA the best fits are bigs, but next year it will be 1-3s and trade season points to lots of 1-2s becoming available, so there is no point in trying to complete the team's core just based on this upcoming FA.

I do think AG is an obvious fit, but if we take a big in the draft that changes.

If I were GM and we got pick 1, I'd be very torn between Ayton and Doncic. It would be a terrific problem to have though.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#1747 » by AtheJ415 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:06 am

Also, Payton is young enough and shooting well enough to be our 1, but the risk entirely depends on his cost in FA. But this lineup is promising and balanced if Ayton becomes a positive defender:

Payton
Booker
Jackson
Bender
Ayton

Warren and Chriss off the bench and should have flexibility to sign vets on 1 year deals to solidify the bench further.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#1748 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:20 am

AtheJ415 wrote:Also, Payton is young enough and shooting well enough to be our 1, but the risk entirely depends on his cost in FA. But this lineup is promising and balanced if Ayton becomes a positive defender:

Payton
Booker
Jackson
Bender
Ayton

Warren and Chriss off the bench and should have flexibility to sign vets on 1 year deals to solidify the bench further.

What I do love about Payton is that if you look at his season by season progression, he has improved everywhere. With that lineup we NEED Payton and Jackson , or at least one of them or Ayton, also to be able to spread the floor, because you have two driving guys, in Payton and Jackson who need and open lane, as well as Warren who would also be in there with most of those guys when he plays.

The free throws are worrisome. Ayton is decent. Payton and Jackson bad.

Ayton saying he doesn't want to play C and wants to play PF is a bit worrisome though...I didn't read or hear that myself, but two people (with no relation) told me he wanted to play PF, so I don't know if that's true or not.

But yeah, it should be between Doncic and Ayton if we get #1, I think.

As far as Payton, there was a "rank the bad teams with the best future" on the GB based on an SI article, and when the SI article got to Orlando and their future, it said "Well, moving on from the Payton experiment was a good start" and the guy who drafted him, now in NY, apparently preferred Mudiay in a trade to Payton (partly because of the year to evaluate) but he obviously wasn't totally bought into Payton any more.

It will be good to see Payton down the stretch. I don't think our draft pick should be based whatsoever on having him for unless two guys were a toss up before acquiring him, they want to keep him, perhaps that could be the deciding factor, but it is scary letting him determine your pick in a loaded draft like this one.
AtheJ415
Head Coach

Post#1749 » by AtheJ415 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:36 am

I'm not worried about him wanting to be a 4 bc Bender is better as a 5 anyways. Really if that team comes to fruition it will need all 5 to be able to space, rim protection from 4 and 5 and switchability, and I think both Bender or Chriss will need to work on post games so that we can punish small ball teams at both big spots.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#1750 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:38 am

Watching the Booker highlights against Utah.

17 of 22 points from FGs made came from Payton assists (5 catch and shoot 3s and 1 assisted floater).

If that keeps up it's going to be hard to overlook that chemistry.
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,379

Post#1751 » by Puff » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:48 am

AtheJ415 wrote:Also, Payton is young enough and shooting well enough to be our 1, but the risk entirely depends on his cost in FA. But this lineup is promising and balanced if Ayton becomes a positive defender:

Payton
Booker
Jackson
Bender
Ayton

If Payton, Jackson and Bender turn out to be as good as we hope we really do not even need Ayton. For sure it appears like Ayton is going to be a great player in the NBA and I would love to get him. All I am saying is that Payton, Jackson and Bender could all be very very good. I hope we go for a big that can run the floor, catch the ball and is agressive as hell.
      "Fire Jones and Vogel. Hire a GM that can trade one or more of the Big Three that will allow us to be watchable again" :crazy:
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#1752 » by sunsbum » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:40 am

Bender doesn't want to play 5 full time either. Ayton sounds like a pussy. Dude throws up when he lifts weights and now wants to play the 4?
7'1 260 and he doesnt want to play center? Ok. Give me Bamba. He can dribble, potential to shoot and plays A1 defense. When you got Booker, Jackson, Bender, Payton and TJ Warren do we really need another offensive power house?
Flex is now your father.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1753 » by thamadkant » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:11 am

I think trade Chriss for a pick between 20-30 and then draft Penava.
Bender, Penava would be good versatile defenders next to someone like Ayton.

I like 2 tall Euros who can dribble well, pass well, have ability to block shots and shoot the 3pt... and smart....
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#1754 » by BobbieL » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:23 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

Payton
Booker
Jackson
Bender
Ayton

What I do love about Payton is that if you look at his season by season progression, he has improved everywhere. With that lineup we NEED Payton and Jackson , or at least one of them or Ayton, also to be able to spread the floor, because you have two driving guys, in Payton and Jackson who need and open lane, as well as Warren who would also be in there with most of those guys when he plays.

Ayton saying he doesn't want to play C and wants to play PF is a bit worrisome though...I didn't read or hear that myself, but two people (with no relation) told me he wanted to play PF, so I don't know if that's true or not.

As far as Payton, there was a "rank the bad teams with the best future" on the GB based on an SI article, and when the SI article got to Orlando and their future, it said "Well, moving on from the Payton experiment was a good start" and the guy who drafted him, now in NY, apparently preferred Mudiay in a trade to Payton (partly because of the year to evaluate) but he obviously wasn't totally bought into Payton any more.

It will be good to see Payton down the stretch. I don't think our draft pick should be based whatsoever on having him for unless two guys were a toss up before acquiring him, they want to keep him, perhaps that could be the deciding factor, but it is scary letting him determine your pick in a loaded draft like this one.

If the Suns get Ayton - he can play PF like Duncan played PF all those years in San Antonio without Robinson . Call him what you want but on offense he will be a hard player to stop. And Sauce next to Ayton would be a good use of Williams skill

As for Payton I agree that he should not change draft plans. But if he continues to show improvement and he works well with Booker and can get him reasonably priced - all for keeping him

But Ayton or Doncic would be a great scenario to have happen
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1755 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:07 pm

BobbieL wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Payton
Booker
Jackson
Bender
Ayton

If the Suns get Ayton - he can play PF like Duncan played PF all those years in San Antonio without Robinson . Call him what you want but on offense he will be a hard player to stop. And Sauce next to Ayton would be a good use of Williams skill

As for Payton I agree that he should not change draft plans. But if he continues to show improvement and he works well with Booker and can get him reasonably priced - all for keeping him

Yeah, I figured he wanted to be like Duncan as the great PF but the defense is lacking..him and Williams would be a terrible defensive front court.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1756 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm

There will probably be a six way tie for the worst record and we will finish 1 game ahead of that pack for 7th worst record. Then the Lakers, sitting in 10th, will win the lottery sliding everyone down a spot.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#1757 » by BobbieL » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:18 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Yeah, I figured he wanted to be like Duncan as the great PF but the defense is lacking..him and Williams would be a terrible defensive front court.

Isn't Sauce a good rebounder though - would that help mitigate.

Ayton has the athleticism to be a good defender - he just has to want to do it
Sreister
Senior
And1: 316

Post#1758 » by Sreister » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:23 pm

1UPZ wrote:I think trade Chriss for a pick between 20-30 and then draft Penava.
Bender, Penava would be good versatile defenders next to someone like Ayton.

I like 2 tall Euros who can dribble well, pass well, have ability to block shots and shoot the 3pt... and smart....

Selling kind of low on Chriss aren't you? Seems like a bit of a bonehead now, but I'm not quite giving up to the point we get a late first rounder. Yuck.
Sreister
Senior
And1: 316

Post#1759 » by Sreister » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:24 pm

BobbieL wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

Key phrase there. Lot's of talent in the NBA down the drain due to that exact phrase. Not saying he's one of those, but my GOD there's been so much talent gone to waste. That's really something you need to watch for when drafting. We were just talking about one that was the opposite, over achieved because he wanted it more, Draymond. I read an article that he was so competitive that during some sort of workout his team NEVER lost a round of anything. There's something to be said about someone with fire in their eyes.

Motivation >>>>>>>>> Talent.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1760 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:28 pm

BobbieL wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

Isn't Sauce a good rebounder though - would that help mitigate.

So is Ayton. The somewhat have similar strengths and weaknesses, though Ayton is obviously much better/higher upside.

Return to Phoenix Suns