ImageImageImage

2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

If Suns get Chris Paul, who will be the 2nd leading scorer on the team?

Ayton
94%
Paul
6%

Total votes: 47

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,492

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - the Season Resumes 

Post#2521 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:39 pm

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2020/10/21/can-phoenix-suns-stand-pat-and-make-playoffs-next-season/3720707001/

Standing pat:

What if Phoenix Suns decide to stick with the players they have?

Duane Rankin

Arizona Republic
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Post#2522 » by King4Day » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:42 am

SideSwipe wrote:With Kawhi possibly being available any interest in making a run at him for us? I'm a bit torn, but he is the type of defensive minded 3/4 that could really work. That said I'm not usually one to take in bandwagoners, and I'm very iffy on his leadership and personality. Thoughts?

https://clutchpoints.com/rumor-kawhi-leonard-trade-could-be-part-of-clippers-blowup/

We'd have to completely blow it up to make it happen. Guessing Ayton, Bridges, cam, and future picks. No thanks. He's too erratic of a personality to trust.
To consider it, he must agree to a long term extension. Even then, our now lack of depth is going to be too problematic
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,892

Post#2523 » by TeamTragic » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:15 am

Clippers aren't trading Leonard. That would be a stupid knee jerk reaction.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Post#2524 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:58 pm

AtheJ415 wrote:I'd try to get Barrett or Covington. Barrett had a bad year but the upside is still there. I never saw him as a can't miss guy but he's worth a flier if Houston didn't want him for whatever reason.

Barrett is NY's main guy. He's their highest pick in a while and they view him as a potential star and someone to build around. They talk about their draft pick making sense of playing with him. With Robinson and Barrett I think they need a shooter to spread the floor...and not be too much of a guy who tries to take over an offense. I think they'd value Vassell over Okoro simply because he will be a better floor spreader.

Apparently DSJr has improved as well. I can see a lineup something along the lines of DSJr, Vassell, Barrett, Randle and Mitchell Robinson and then plan to go after a big name in 21 free agency as Randal expires and everone else is on a rookie contract (DSJr is in final year of rookie contract but probably doesn't command a lot of money or they can go after vet PG). They really need a better PF with that lineup, preferably a 3D guy so someone like Serge might make sense on a 1 year deal.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2525 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:01 pm

GoranTragic wrote:Clippers aren't trading Leonard. That would be a stupid knee jerk reaction.

Or George...so much talk about trading him after Kawhi pointed him out on a list of what player, if they could get, would make him sign there, and they traded a ton of picks, SGA, Gallinari, etc, for him. No way they give up on him this year. So he had some bad shooting games. He also had a great defensive year with a lot of steals and is a perfect type of versatile wing in today's league...they probably have the best wing combo in the NBA...a top 5 and top 10 or maybe 12 to 15 player.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#2526 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:14 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:Clippers aren't trading Leonard. That would be a stupid knee jerk reaction.

Or George...so much talk about trading him after Kawhi pointed him out on a list of what player, if they could get, would make him sign there, and they traded a ton of picks, SGA, Gallinari, etc, for him. No way they give up on him this year. So he had some bad shooting games. He also had a great defensive year with a lot of steals and is a perfect type of versatile wing in today's league...they probably have the best wing combo in the NBA...a top 5 and top 10 or maybe 12 to 15 player.
Yeah PG and Leonard aren't going anywhere this fall... Now Lou and some others I think get moved.

Seems like when you're an overachieving team and add stars you might as well deal most of the past team because there is often a chemistry issue trying to blend the new stars in.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mjee
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#2527 » by Mjee » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:26 pm

I am secretly loving this draft ..

There is some talent that has been overlooked this year because of the pandemic and no NCAA tourney

I really hope we choose a pg..

I think kira lewis or Ty Terry would be SOLID pick ups

Terry adding height and weight over these past 6 months really has me intrigued ....

I am super stoaked for next month
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2528 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:30 pm

Mjee wrote:I am secretly loving this draft ..

There is some talent that has been overlooked this year because of the pandemic and no NCAA tourney

I really hope we choose a pg..

I think kira lewis or Ty Terry would be SOLID pick ups

Terry adding height and weight over these past 6 months really has me intrigued ....

I am super stoaked for next month

I still love Bane....I think I'd prefer him slightly to Tyrell Terry, followed by Lewis of the 3. And then I might try to sign a backup vet PG with one of the exceptions or cap space if we have it...for a year....then reassess next year(s) free agent class after further assessment of Payne and maybe the 1 year vet...and then if we get the backup SG in Bane, add that PG of the future in next year's class who could be primary backup behind Rubio as long as we keep him.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#2529 » by darmani » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Let's go!
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#2530 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:02 pm

darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

Let's go!
I wonder if this means the league is abandoning hope of full arenas this coming season. I could see them looking at and thinking there's no better chance of it in March than December so why not just get going and stay on a somewhat normal calendar. Now no/limited fans will absolutely be a hit to finances and I'd expect a flat cap for a few years.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2531 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:32 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

Let's go!
I wonder if this means the league is abandoning hope of full arenas this coming season. I could see them looking at and thinking there's no better chance of it in March than December so why not just get going and stay on a somewhat normal calendar. Now no/limited fans will absolutely be a hit to finances and I'd expect a flat cap for a few years.

If they have no fans for awhile and limited fans later it will crush revenues worse than last year (unless China bounces back).

I think they could require masks, temperature checks and social distancing though and do reasonably well...maybe half capacity since families could sit together.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#2532 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:34 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

Let's go!

If they have no fans for awhile and limited fans later it will crush revenues worse than last year (unless China bounces back).

I think they could require masks, temperature checks and social distancing though and do reasonably well...maybe half capacity since families could sit together.
Yeah I think they'll have as many as local ordinances will allow. An issue is the warriors and Lakers are cash cows with expensive seats and CA has strict regulations.

BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#2533 » by BobbieL » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:10 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I wonder if this means the league is abandoning hope of full arenas this coming season. I could see them looking at and thinking there's no better chance of it in March than December so why not just get going and stay on a somewhat normal calendar. Now no/limited fans will absolutely be a hit to finances and I'd expect a flat cap for a few years.

Yeah I think they'll have as many as local ordinances will allow. An issue is the warriors and Lakers are cash cows with expensive seats and CA has strict regulations.

Half capacity at most. Two months away. But if this is true

free agency should be around the corner - just after the draft which is 11/18 I would guess.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#2534 » by Saberestar » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:16 pm

STAT and Nash together again.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#2535 » by Crives » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:34 pm

Saberestar wrote:STAT and Nash together again.

Makes me kind of sad we couldn’t get them to come be a part of phx staff the last 10 years or so
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,764

Post#2536 » by matt131 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:01 pm

Crives wrote:

Makes me kind of sad we couldn’t get them to come be a part of phx staff the last 10 years or so
Ayton could have really used Amare as a coach to teach him how to roll hard to the rim and attack the basket
GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Post#2537 » by GoodBehavior » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:04 pm

Crives wrote:

Don't really like this setup for Nash. Assistant coach is a coveted position, it makes more sense for Nash, who has zero coaching experience, to hire a more seasoned assistant coach. Heck, Igor would make more sense than STAT. With Kyrie's recent comments, it doesn't bode very well for Nash's tenure ...
GoodBehavior
Senior
And1: 370

Post#2538 » by GoodBehavior » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:25 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I wonder if this means the league is abandoning hope of full arenas this coming season. I could see them looking at and thinking there's no better chance of it in March than December so why not just get going and stay on a somewhat normal calendar. Now no/limited fans will absolutely be a hit to finances and I'd expect a flat cap for a few years.

Ratings are more important than attendance at this juncture. A Christmas start is going to generate more excitement than a January/February start, when the NFL playoff and Superbowl is in full gear. Also half the nation is bunkered down in the winter by then (Jan/Feb), and it's hard to generate excitement in the midst of winter. People get Christmas week off, so the viewership should be strong.

The NBA need a good start or the general fan base (aka lukewarm bodies) are going to fall in the wayside. For the casual fans, Christmas is really the unofficial start of the season. I don't think the NBA can afford to skip it, especially in this environment. And if the lineup is Warriors, Lakers, Nets, and Pelican, they could do really well on opening week.

As it relates to the Suns, the longer the offseason the better. We have young players that benefit from extra time.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#2539 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:40 pm

GoodBehavior wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Ratings are more important than attendance at this juncture. A Christmas start is going to generate more excitement than a January/February start, when the NFL playoff and Superbowl is in full gear. Also half the nation is bunkered down in the winter by then (Jan/Feb), and it's hard to generate excitement in the midst of winter. People get Christmas week off, so the viewership should be strong.

The NBA need a good start or the general fan base (aka lukewarm bodies) are going to fall in the wayside. For the casual fans, Christmas is really the unofficial start of the season. I don't think the NBA can afford to skip it, especially in this environment. And if the lineup is Warriors, Lakers, Nets, and Pelican, they could do really well on opening week.

As it relates to the Suns, the longer the offseason the better. We have young players that benefit from extra time.

Ratings are good for TNT and ESPN because they can make more money on advertising, but I don't know that the NBA makes more dependent on ratings. I think they have set contracts with those networks (which is good, because they are high dollar...if they didn't, and they renewed it based on rating/advertising revenue of those networks, those $ amounts of contracts would decrease due to the declining ratings).
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,911

Post#2540 » by LV-Suns » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:55 pm

Crives wrote:

It’s sad that none of our greats wants anything to do with us anymore. It’s probably best after how we handled Hornacek.
I Dont wanna be here

Return to Phoenix Suns