ImageImageImage

2020 Preseason Speculation - Lineup battles underway

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Re: 2020 Season/Offseason (FA/Trade) Speculation - CP3 added...who's next? 

Post#3981 » by darealjuice » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:13 am

Fo-Real wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Look who's trying to make fun of another team's moves...?

Read on Twitter

This dude is never getting a job in the NBA again lol how can he be this unprofessional?

Let's be real, he has to already know that he will never get a front office job again!! This is why he is trying to make himself relevant as a writer, or whatever he is. He is trying to be a Howard Stern, shock jock of writing to get attention, that keeps you relevant now a days. Going off of his record of being one of the most despised gms of the day as far as player relations and his player contracts and draft history... HE KNOWS THATS OVER, this is his only shot at a career.

Oh yeah he's praying he tweets and podcasts his way into an ESPN hot take artist gig
suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Post#3982 » by suns12345 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:48 am

darealjuice wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
This dude is never getting a job in the NBA again lol how can he be this unprofessional?

Let's be real, he has to already know that he will never get a front office job again!! This is why he is trying to make himself relevant as a writer, or whatever he is. He is trying to be a Howard Stern, shock jock of writing to get attention, that keeps you relevant now a days. Going off of his record of being one of the most despised gms of the day as far as player relations and his player contracts and draft history... HE KNOWS THATS OVER, this is his only shot at a career.

Oh yeah he's praying he tweets and podcasts his way into an ESPN hot take artist gig

I like that he added Melo, Rivers and Jeff Green to the list of losses as if they're superstars/good players today
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#3983 » by bwgood77 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:00 am

suns12345 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:

I like that he added Melo, Rivers and Jeff Green to the list of losses as if they're superstars/good players today

If he was still the Suns GM, those would have been our signings this summer to join Booker, Bridges, Jackson and Ayton, along with rookie Haliburton to join the PG battle with Harrison, Okobo, Melton and Coby White.

Melton/White/Harrison/Okobo
Booker/Rivers/Haliburton
Bridges/Jackson
Melo/Green
Ayton
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#3984 » by Crives » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:19 am

bwgood77 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:

If he was still the Suns GM, those would have been our signings this summer to join Booker, Bridges, Jackson and Ayton, along with rookie Haliburton to join the PG battle with Harrison, Okobo, Melton and Coby White.

Booker/Rivers/Haliburton
Bridges/Jackson
Melo/Green
Ayton

Na, swap in “I can’t shoot” Culver in for White.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,413

Post#3985 » by bwgood77 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:31 am

Crives wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
suns12345 wrote:

Booker/Rivers/Haliburton
Bridges/Jackson
Melo/Green
Ayton

Na, swap in “I can’t shoot” Culver in for White.

Actually he likes wings so much, you are right, and he wouldn't have traded TJ and would have taken Vassell instead of Haliburton because no matter how bad our guard problems became, we needed to keep adding wings....like the previous draft and FA...when we have TJ and JJ we draft Bridges and sign Ariza.

So we'd right now have:

Melton/Harrison/Okobo
Booker/Rivers/Culver/Vassell
TJ/JJ/Bridges/Vassell
Melo/Green
Ayton
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,348

Post#3986 » by Revived » Fri Dec 4, 2020 7:13 am

darealjuice wrote:If I had a dollar for every time Ayton said he finally learned what hard work really was, I'm sure I'd have a few bucks. I have high hopes for him this season though, he certainly seems excited to play.

He has a career in politics waiting for him after he’s done playing. I can’t remember the last time we had a player who says all the right buzz words and plays into exactly what the fans want to hear. Even the interviews before his rookie season, he said all the exact perfect things.

Of course most or none of what he says actually translates on to the court. But that’s even more the reason he is perfect for politics as he already has their characteristics.

Really though, it is quite impressive how well spoken he is even at such a young age. Anthony Edwards should sit down privately with Ayton and learn from him before Edwards does an interview again.
suns12345
Starter

Post#3987 » by suns12345 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 7:34 am

Revived wrote:
darealjuice wrote:If I had a dollar for every time Ayton said he finally learned what hard work really was, I'm sure I'd have a few bucks. I have high hopes for him this season though, he certainly seems excited to play.

He has a career in politics waiting for him after he’s done playing. I can’t remember the last time we had a player who says all the right buzz words and plays into exactly what the fans want to hear. Even the interviews before his rookie season, he said all the exact perfect things.

Of course most or none of what he says actually translates on to the court. But that’s even more the reason he is perfect for politics as he already has their characteristics.

Really though, it is quite impressive how well spoken he is even at such a young age. Anthony Edwards should sit down privately with Ayton and learn from him before Edwards does an interview again.

I think he is better than talking the talk than he was a rookie too, for whatever that is worth (nothing lol)
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#3988 » by thamadkant » Fri Dec 4, 2020 9:49 am

Barkley6 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
DroughtsOverPHX wrote:I'm one who gripes about him and I recognize he is a 20/10 machine. He has the physical tools of a HOF center. I want to see him help on D, tear the rim down on dunks and have a 30/20 game more than once this season. He is completely capable of it. I don't care if he is ever a verbal leader. If he played focused, wanted the ball and wanted to own the lane we would be championship contenders.

While I am complaining about Ayton and people will want to rip me for it -- I question him being touted as "coachable". He doesn't like watching film. He makes poor off the court decisions. He still gets lost. Hopefully it comes with maturity. I'll settle for his 20/10 but he could be so much more. HE could be key to our future more than Booker.

He's still a one and done C. Many of the guys people hope he resembles, like Robinson, Hakeem, Shaq, all played 3 or 4 years in college, as did Kareem. Shaq and Hakeem's rookie seasons were their 4th season post HS, just like Ayton will have this year. Kareem and Robinson had 4 years and Robinson even served in the Navy for 2 more years so was a lot older and far more mature coming in.

Embiid was injured for a couple of years but still was able to watch and be coached before playing. Embiid's first year, when he played 31 games, was his 4th post HS, the same as Ayton will be starting with this year. He only averaged 20 and 8 that 4th year and shot 46.6% from the field.

Aldridge played 2 college years and as a rookie averaged 9 and 5 and 2nd year, 17.8 and 7.6, shooting below 50% from the field.

Bigs do take a little longer, and many of the ones that became decent like Adams, Jordan, Chandler, etc, were not too good starting out.

Even Sabonis averaged 6 and 3 and then 11.6 and 7.7 after 2 years in college. So Ayton goes into a year similar to that 2nd pro year from Sabonis.

The list goes on...Nurkic's first 4 years were very unimpressive.

So I think judging Ayton this early is premature, and he's already at 18 and 12 with solid perimeter defense, switching and rebounding, with skills where he can reach over people and tip it to himself. He will improve on the pick and roll this year, and likely getting to the line with the pressure from Paul and company telling him to.

Hopefully that 3 ball that looked good in the bubble gets even better but the biggest thing is the help defense and protecting the rim.

Anthony Davis averaged 13 and 8 his rookie season, and then 20 and 10 the year after.
DeMarcus Cousins averaged 14 and 8 as a rookie and then 18 and 11 the year after.

Ayton averaged 16 and 10 his rookie season, meaning he had a BETTER rookie year than either Anthony Davis or DeMarcus Cousins. In his sophomore campaign, he averaged 18 and 11, meaning he equaled DMC and was a better rebounder than Anthony Davis.

This is just the reality for big men. The fact is, Ayton is exactly on track with where you'd expect him to be. Yes, I wish he was more dominant inside and would attack the basket a bit more, but it's hard to argue with his current trajectory and what he offers on a nightly basis.

Ayton is doing fine. Had the Spurs drafted him, Popovic would have his new Duncan/Robinson to build a new dynasty with... just need two other stars.

The point is... we all watch the games, Ayton is clearly misused in his rookie year, with poor coaching especially defensively, yet 16/10...
His second year, he is statistically and by eye test.. a top 5 defensive big man... and walking 20/12, and YES, we still all saw how much he was ignored a lot of games.. we saw him get 4-5 blocks but get credited 2.. several games. We all saw him make good passes yet he never gets plays for him as early in the shot clock down low to make plays when defense collapse on him...
Yet he was an easy double double with excellent defense.

Most of the complaints are about him not tearing the rim or dunking and chest pumping and yelling at his opponents like Amare and KG did... basically heaps of fans here want a different person altogether, they want Ayton to behave and act like passionate bigs of the past.... when most of the great bigs like Duncan, Robinson, Ewing, Hakeem etc all have calm demeanor.

The only valid criticism is that he doesnt get to the free throw line enough.... and thats not just him. That is about 50% his fault only.... the referees have not called soft fouls on his favor yet.... Watch Davis, Jokic and Embiid... these three get a finger top on their shoulders and its a foul, they oversell it too... Ayton doesnt, he is doesnt make plays for fouls yet... he plays like most young NBA players... they just play without too much acting or playing up the referees. It will eventually come as he learns.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,658

Post#3989 » by Qwigglez » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:15 am

I'm confused by someone saying Ayton doesn't like watching film. I thought I saw a video where Ayton was breaking plays down and said in his rookie season he wasn't doing a lot of things correctly, and that in his second season he was studying film a lot. Ayton is really in a prime position this season, this team is basically built around him.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#3990 » by NTB » Fri Dec 4, 2020 11:43 am

Qwigglez wrote:I'm confused by someone saying Ayton doesn't like watching film. I thought I saw a video where Ayton was breaking plays down and said in his rookie season he wasn't doing a lot of things correctly, and that in his second season he was studying film a lot. Ayton is really in a prime position this season, this team is basically built around him.

Definitely recommending to watch this for everyone who is harsh on this kid.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
suns12345
Starter

Post#3991 » by suns12345 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 12:01 pm

NTB wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:I'm confused by someone saying Ayton doesn't like watching film. I thought I saw a video where Ayton was breaking plays down and said in his rookie season he wasn't doing a lot of things correctly, and that in his second season he was studying film a lot. Ayton is really in a prime position this season, this team is basically built around him.

By all means, people can criticise his style of play etc. but i dont get the criticisms about work ethic.

In college he was known as a hard worker and won the Arizona hard work award they had every week of the year.

And now in the NBA, he has taken what people said was his biggest weakness (defence/rim protection), and become a good NBA centre in that regard. His trajectory is good. I am not worried.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#3992 » by Saberestar » Fri Dec 4, 2020 12:01 pm

thamadkant wrote:
Barkley6 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
He's still a one and done C. Many of the guys people hope he resembles, like Robinson, Hakeem, Shaq, all played 3 or 4 years in college, as did Kareem. Shaq and Hakeem's rookie seasons were their 4th season post HS, just like Ayton will have this year. Kareem and Robinson had 4 years and Robinson even served in the Navy for 2 more years so was a lot older and far more mature coming in.

Embiid was injured for a couple of years but still was able to watch and be coached before playing. Embiid's first year, when he played 31 games, was his 4th post HS, the same as Ayton will be starting with this year. He only averaged 20 and 8 that 4th year and shot 46.6% from the field.

Aldridge played 2 college years and as a rookie averaged 9 and 5 and 2nd year, 17.8 and 7.6, shooting below 50% from the field.

Bigs do take a little longer, and many of the ones that became decent like Adams, Jordan, Chandler, etc, were not too good starting out.

Even Sabonis averaged 6 and 3 and then 11.6 and 7.7 after 2 years in college. So Ayton goes into a year similar to that 2nd pro year from Sabonis.

The list goes on...Nurkic's first 4 years were very unimpressive.

So I think judging Ayton this early is premature, and he's already at 18 and 12 with solid perimeter defense, switching and rebounding, with skills where he can reach over people and tip it to himself. He will improve on the pick and roll this year, and likely getting to the line with the pressure from Paul and company telling him to.

Hopefully that 3 ball that looked good in the bubble gets even better but the biggest thing is the help defense and protecting the rim.

Anthony Davis averaged 13 and 8 his rookie season, and then 20 and 10 the year after.
DeMarcus Cousins averaged 14 and 8 as a rookie and then 18 and 11 the year after.

Ayton averaged 16 and 10 his rookie season, meaning he had a BETTER rookie year than either Anthony Davis or DeMarcus Cousins. In his sophomore campaign, he averaged 18 and 11, meaning he equaled DMC and was a better rebounder than Anthony Davis.

This is just the reality for big men. The fact is, Ayton is exactly on track with where you'd expect him to be. Yes, I wish he was more dominant inside and would attack the basket a bit more, but it's hard to argue with his current trajectory and what he offers on a nightly basis.

Ayton is doing fine. Had the Spurs drafted him, Popovic would have his new Duncan/Robinson to build a new dynasty with... just need two other stars.

The point is... we all watch the games, Ayton is clearly misused in his rookie year, with poor coaching especially defensively, yet 16/10...
His second year, he is statistically and by eye test.. a top 5 defensive big man... and walking 20/12, and YES, we still all saw how much he was ignored a lot of games.. we saw him get 4-5 blocks but get credited 2.. several games. We all saw him make good passes yet he never gets plays for him as early in the shot clock down low to make plays when defense collapse on him...
Yet he was an easy double double with excellent defense.

Most of the complaints are about him not tearing the rim or dunking and chest pumping and yelling at his opponents like Amare and KG did... basically heaps of fans here want a different person altogether, they want Ayton to behave and act like passionate bigs of the past.... when most of the great bigs like Duncan, Robinson, Ewing, Hakeem etc all have calm demeanor.

The only valid criticism is that he doesnt get to the free throw line enough.... and thats not just him. That is about 50% his fault only.... the referees have not called soft fouls on his favor yet.... Watch Davis, Jokic and Embiid... these three get a finger top on their shoulders and its a foul, they oversell it too... Ayton doesnt, he is doesnt make plays for fouls yet... he plays like most young NBA players... they just play without too much acting or playing up the referees. It will eventually come as he learns.

Pesonally I do not care at all about him not dunking hard or not yelling at his opponents and all that ****...that is not a big deal.

I care about his (sometimes low) motor, his awareness and his skills.

He sometimes is too passive on both ends, he looks a bit lazy here and there. He needs to put his energy up all game long.

He needs to learn how to fake and how to sell a foul to the refs too. He does not know it for now and some players have that in his arsenal since their first day in the league (Luka, Trae, Embiid...) but that is not his case so he needs to work on that badly. CP3 can help him.

And regarding his skills... ball handling. We have commented it so many times, he needs to put the ball on the floor more and learn how to create for himself.
Maze
Bench Warmer
And1: 960

Post#3993 » by Maze » Fri Dec 4, 2020 1:59 pm

Frank Lee wrote:Just try to keep Carter off the court... he’ll outdog em all

And Ayton? ... he says all the right things ... but ...?

Maybe I'm wrong, but Ayton comes off insincere most of the time.As if he's just talking out of his azz.
Jarlaxle0204
Sixth Man
And1: 2,091

Post#3994 » by Jarlaxle0204 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:44 pm

Maze wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong, but Ayton comes off insincere most of the time.As if he's just talking out of his azz.

I think I know what you're talking about. I don't think he's insincere. When I listen to him talk, he sounds like a young kid to me. I believe that he believes the things he's saying. "I like to bully people on the court. I love defense. etc".

I just don't think what he says translates directly to the court. He is a little passive, has mental lapses, and doesn't show enough energy. He looks like he's going through the motions oftentimes.

I have faith in him and he is integral to this team's success but I don't put a ton of stock into what he says anymore.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#3995 » by Fo-Real » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:49 pm

Maze wrote:

I think some of us lose sight of the bigger picture sometimes!! In his first two years in the league (usually difficult developing bigs), this man over his first two years has averaged 17 points and 10 boards, this is really good. The frustration comes at knowing he can be amazing instead of just really good!!! Another year of experience, better coaching, understanding and adding guys like Paul, and Crowder to stoke intensity... he will be just fine, I have NO DOUBT!!
bhawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 713

Post#3996 » by bhawk » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:14 pm

I want nothing more than Ayton to live up to his #1 draft pick expectation and his absurd new tattoo. The reality is that he is still a kid with A LOT of growing up to do. We've talked about his youth and immaturity many times, and I am hopeful he makes the leap this year. We all are. Maybe Paul and the other new guys help Ayton find the toughness and aggressiveness that has been lacking in his first 2 seasons?

I am personally skeptical. I have not seen enough heart, passion, competitiveness and fire from Ayton. When he is challenged, he generally backs down and never hits back. There was one game in Ayton's rookie year where the other team (Detriot?) was going right at Ayton and just laughing at how soft he was. That game was over two years ago and certainly he has more confidence now, but Ayton is just not an Alpha player.

Ayton may be close to his ceiling as a 20/10 center who compliments Alpha players like Book and CP3. That's okay. We need good pieces around our superstars. Ayton is a good role player right now.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#3997 » by phx#7 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 4:33 pm

There was a quote last year about how he really didn't know how to break down game film until someone pointed out what he should be looking at. Before learning that he said he would only watch himself and what he was doing. His critics just use or twist those words to fit their narrative.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#3998 » by matt131 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 4:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#3999 » by Slim Charless » Fri Dec 4, 2020 5:42 pm

suns12345 wrote:
NTB wrote:

By all means, people can criticise his style of play etc. but i dont get the criticisms about work ethic.

In college he was known as a hard worker and won the Arizona hard work award they had every week of the year.

And now in the NBA, he has taken what people said was his biggest weakness (defence/rim protection), and become a good NBA centre in that regard. His trajectory is good. I am not worried.

I think in a normal year ppl would be loving where Ayton is. Luka has just messed up the curve for everyone. Ayton is still a great, young player who is possibly the most athletic center in the league. He just needs more guidance. Having CP3 around can change his whole career. I think Ayton will make the all star game this season (AD is a 4 imo) and I think he can be a dark horse for Most Improved Player at 26/14/2-which I think he can pull off this year if he stays healthy.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#4000 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Dec 4, 2020 5:49 pm

Read on Twitter

They should just do away with cannibus testing all together. Neither the NFL or MLB test for it anymore.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns