ImageImageImage

PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
Posts: 15,067
And1: 3,903
Joined: Jun 27, 2009
Location: Beyond the Sun
       

Re: PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns 

Post#21 » by RunDogGun » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:30 am

DroughtsOverPHX wrote:Payton almost a triple double. Even if it's garbage time, it's fun.

Didn't he have 4 assists in the first quarter? I just can't believe we got him so cheap. I like how he worked with McGee.

Shamet had a good game. If he can do that consistently off the bench, I will be happy. :D

Floor Impact Counter from Realgm stats show that Payton lead our team with 21, next highest was Shamet at 11.9, then Ayton at 11.2.
Gorilla Warfare
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,397
And1: 1,996
Joined: Jun 18, 2008
   

Re: PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns 

Post#22 » by Gorilla Warfare » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:48 am

I thought the 45 point stomping was impressive, but the Mavs are boat racing the Hornets by 65 on ESPN right now. Holy…
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 78,055
And1: 46,277
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns 

Post#23 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:14 am

darealjuice wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:
darealjuice wrote:Nice to beat a solid team playing their starters by 45 without CP3 out there. 2nd and 3rd teams doubled up the lead in the second half too.

Great to see Booker come out cooking, hopefully his 3 ball takes a step forward this year. Mikal looks more comfortable handling the ball, still a bit shaky under pressure though.

Payton looked infinitely better running the 3rd team than he did splitting ball handling duties with Cam Payne with the 2nd team. Not a huge fan of his, but he's one of the best 3rd string point guards you're going to find.

Not expecting playing time for Stix this season at this point. Personally, I think it's pretty clear that he's most effective playing center, but we seem intent on trying to develop his perimeter game. We'll see how it goes, not easy for someone to change the way they've been playing for years though.


Yeah idk what we are doing with stix tbh...


Yeah that pick made no sense then and makes less sense now. I'm not sure what makes us think he's a power forward. It's not like he handles the ball or shoots 3s particularly well for a power forward in this era.

Play him at center and let him run the floor, rebound, protect the paint, and play pick and pop/roll. Any perimeter skills he develops are an advantage for him at center, as opposed to a prerequisite at power forward. He'd likely still be our third string center though.


Looking at Haliburton's #s in all these fantasy drafts makes me smh even more. Imagine him as a 1/2 backup on a rookie contract, especially in addition to Payne and Shamet and if Shamet leaves. That's some nice depth.
User avatar
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
Posts: 5,905
And1: 7,695
Joined: Apr 22, 2016
Location: Phoenix
   

Re: PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns 

Post#24 » by darealjuice » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:55 am

bwgood77 wrote:Looking at Haliburton's #s in all these fantasy drafts makes me smh even more. Imagine him as a 1/2 backup on a rookie contract, especially in addition to Payne and Shamet and if Shamet leaves. That's some nice depth.


Yeah I loved Haliburton going into the draft. I was shocked he was at 10 and even more shocked we didn't draft him. I liked Vassell, Bey, Nesmith, and Lewis more than Smith, but Haliburton was easily in my top 5. No point crying over spilled milk though.

I'd still be interested in seeing Smith play some center. He could be a frustrating cover with his athleticism, offensive rebounding, and 3-point shooting. I think he'd be able to beat centers off the dribble too. I just don't see his skill set as a power forward and don't understand the pick with Ayton here.
ImNotMcDiSwear
Head Coach
Posts: 7,362
And1: 5,133
Joined: Dec 14, 2013
 

Re: PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns 

Post#25 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:58 am

I think we've looked the presumptive #1 seed in preseason so far. We're ahead of where we were during the playoffs, I think. On both ends. We've looked spectacular.

PAY UP SARVER OMG WHAT ARE YOU DOING
Iceman36
Freshman
Posts: 53
And1: 94
Joined: Aug 22, 2014
 

Re: PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns 

Post#26 » by Iceman36 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:28 am

Watched the first game this season and we look impressive! James Jones did a great job in the offseason. Again! No need to nitpick. Now only Sarver has to open his pocket to keep this team together. Come on Bobby, don't make the same mistakes as with our last great team! As Slovenian Dragon I have similar hopes that we can grab the trophy this year, as my other love Bayern Munich always won the Champions League title after a big dissapointment before, where they drew some extra motivation from. Last season was meant to be legendary with the bubble story, the big turnaround, Cam Payne, covid, Playoff injuries and the Clippers gamewinner, but we fell short. Still pissed about it and the players should also be and get that damn thing finally! Let's go boys!
bwoolf2
Starter
Posts: 2,436
And1: 2,162
Joined: Jun 26, 2014

Re: PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns 

Post#27 » by bwoolf2 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:07 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
SlovenianDragon wrote:
Yeah idk what we are doing with stix tbh...


Yeah that pick made no sense then and makes less sense now. I'm not sure what makes us think he's a power forward. It's not like he handles the ball or shoots 3s particularly well for a power forward in this era.

Play him at center and let him run the floor, rebound, protect the paint, and play pick and pop/roll. Any perimeter skills he develops are an advantage for him at center, as opposed to a prerequisite at power forward. He'd likely still be our third string center though.


Looking at Haliburton's #s in all these fantasy drafts makes me smh even more. Imagine him as a 1/2 backup on a rookie contract, especially in addition to Payne and Shamet and if Shamet leaves. That's some nice depth.


Just my opinion but I think Haliburton is vastly overrated on this board, he had a good 1st year don't get me wrong but he wouldn't have gotten much time on this team, and i think his numbers decline this year as Davion is going to eat into some of his minutes and I think is a superior player.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 78,055
And1: 46,277
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns 

Post#28 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:24 pm

Although improbable and I won't put too much stock into preseason, if we were to win the title, would that make Sarver think moreso that players are expendable? We are so good we can replace key players with guys he thinks are good?
User avatar
Calvin Klein
RealGM
Posts: 11,254
And1: 3,782
Joined: May 20, 2008
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:
   

Re: PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns 

Post#29 » by Calvin Klein » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:17 pm

Sarver is a **** owner no matter what happens. By now there's enough evidence.
sasquatchBob
Senior
Posts: 591
And1: 988
Joined: Oct 07, 2014
     

Re: PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns 

Post#30 » by sasquatchBob » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:21 pm

Great effort. Everyone looked super locked in even though it's only a preseason game.

I feel like this team is gonna be really good this year. Back to NBA finals good. The rotations seem to be clear, everyone knows their role and the ball is moving.

McGee fits this team like a glove, Shamet is surprisingly good and Payton is probably the best 3rd string PG in the league. Add those 3 to the team that was already there last year and I think we're back to were we were last year. Holes seem to be filled. Maybe there's a PF that could still be added, but I hope Saric is back for playoffs and then this team is completely ready.

This team has like 5 different glue guys. Maybe even more. At least that's how it feels like. Chemistry has looked that good from the preseason games that I have watched. Add to that that Suns are 10 players deep and this seems like a championship level team to me.

Also I think Cam Johnson is gonna breakout this year. Looks very poised, fluid and only makes the right plays. Some of the passes and ballhandling that I saw from him was not there last year.

Barring horrible injuries I think we're up for a very very good season.
User avatar
SlovenianDragon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,502
And1: 6,250
Joined: Aug 01, 2014
         

Re: PS Game 4: Blazers @ Suns 

Post#31 » by SlovenianDragon » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:37 pm

sasquatchBob wrote:Great effort. Everyone looked super locked in even though it's only a preseason game.

I feel like this team is gonna be really good this year. Back to NBA finals good. The rotations seem to be clear, everyone knows their role and the ball is moving.

McGee fits this team like a glove, Shamet is surprisingly good and Payton is probably the best 3rd string PG in the league. Add those 3 to the team that was already there last year and I think we're back to were we were last year. Holes seem to be filled. Maybe there's a PF that could still be added, but I hope Saric is back for playoffs and then this team is completely ready.

This team has like 5 different glue guys. Maybe even more. At least that's how it feels like. Chemistry has looked that good from the preseason games that I have watched. Add to that that Suns are 10 players deep and this seems like a championship level team to me.

Also I think Cam Johnson is gonna breakout this year. Looks very calm, poised, fluid and only makes the right plays. Some of the passes and ballhandling that I saw from him was not there last year.

Barring horrible injuries I think we're up for a very very good season.


Hope cam finished his masters thesis so he can focus on basketball...

Don't think I'd ever say something like that and probably never again... :lol:
Image

Return to Phoenix Suns