Total votes: 11

Soca
Veteran
And1: 841

Re: Other Playoff Series 

Post#1161 » by Soca » Thu May 19, 2022 6:19 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:Easy series for gsw
Maybe but I wouldn't count Dallas out. They tend to look horrible in losses this postseason but it possible they can string together 4 good games.

It's interesting I saw some saying GS is a good perimeter defending team. Not sure if I really agree with that with Payton out. Poole is a horrific defender, like early career Booker bad. Klay can't move like he used too and is probably a net negative on D at this point. Curry plays hard and is generally sound on D but he has physical limitations. Wiggins is probably their best healthy perimeter defender and he's inconsistent. I think Dallas will score in these guys. Now maybe GS is making shots and that won't matter.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

They're going to give Mavs a lot of different looks defensively.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#1162 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 19, 2022 6:27 pm

bwoolf2 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:Easy series for gsw
Maybe but I wouldn't count Dallas out. They tend to look horrible in losses this postseason but it possible they can string together 4 good games.

It's interesting I saw some saying GS is a good perimeter defending team. Not sure if I really agree with that with Payton out. Poole is a horrific defender, like early career Booker bad. Klay can't move like he used too and is probably a net negative on D at this point. Curry plays hard and is generally sound on D but he has physical limitations. Wiggins is probably their best healthy perimeter defender and he's inconsistent. I think Dallas will score in these guys. Now maybe GS is making shots and that won't matter.

The Mavs will have to impose their will and keep the pace way down if they want to stay in this series. This series is all about pace to me if Dallas plays at their pace they can win I just don't think they can.
Agree there. They can't get into a Helter skelter fast paced game. They need to muck up the games like they did against Phoenix.

One area that GS will have a better result is they will have zero hesitation to go small against Dallas. Something Phoenix didn't want to do and only kind of tried by going with Biz instead of McGee.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,609

Post#1163 » by lilfishi22 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:18 pm

PittsburghSuns wrote:Bridges was really awful that Dallas series. It’s amazing how bad our team played almost from top to bottom In 4 out of the last 5 games of that series. Looked like a team who was disinterested and quit.

Bridges was guarding a top 5 NBA player in the league and he just didn't have the physical capability to handle Luka. It was a poor coaching decision to stick with Mikal on Luka when it was pretty clear Bridges' length didn't bother Luka nearly as much as some had hoped while Luka's size, strength and weight was just overwhelming. Just doing a bit of quick googling, I think the closest they've been weight-ise is probably about 20lbs but more likely closer to 25-30lbs. And that's not even considering the Luka's elite triple threat skill set.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1164 » by lilfishi22 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:22 pm

Damkac wrote:Dallas latest game is a perfect example why building entire offense on 3 point shooting is dumb. Even when they can't hit them they have no plan B, only to keep shooting them and hope they will start hiting.

They've gone full analytics/Morey Ball which kind of makes sense considering that started with Harden in the similar helio-centric system. So while it would make sense to be more balanced, our issue almost seemed like we went the complete opposite, anti-analytics. We didn't shoot nearly enough 3's, we relied too much on scoring high % 2's (not high enough to offset low 3PA) and we didn't have much pace either in the Mavs series.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1165 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu May 19, 2022 11:52 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Damkac wrote:Dallas latest game is a perfect example why building entire offense on 3 point shooting is dumb. Even when they can't hit them they have no plan B, only to keep shooting them and hope they will start hiting.

They've gone full analytics/Morey Ball which kind of makes sense considering that started with Harden in the similar helio-centric system. So while it would make sense to be more balanced, our issue almost seemed like we went the complete opposite, anti-analytics. We didn't shoot nearly enough 3's, we relied too much on scoring high % 2's (not high enough to offset low 3PA) and we didn't have much pace either in the Mavs series.
I thought this stat was interesting. They lived by the mid range all year and eventually died by it

Read on Twitter
?t=s8sZO_ENzBUlR9YnpPE-Rg&s=19

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1166 » by lilfishi22 » Fri May 20, 2022 12:06 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

I thought this stat was interesting. They lived by the mid range all year and eventually died by it

Read on Twitter
?t=s8sZO_ENzBUlR9YnpPE-Rg&s=19

I think by midseason last year, there were plenty of talk about how teams were conceding the midrange to us because everyone was pro-Morey-ball and that's where we got a significant chunk of our offense and eventually became our identity. That CP3/Book midrange was awesome until it was no longer and we just didn't seem to know any other way to play.
Sunlight
Bench Warmer
And1: 638

Post#1167 » by Sunlight » Fri May 20, 2022 1:00 am

Should build team like Heat way. Around Ayton and Bridges. Tough defenders. Like JJ said: "Deandre Ayton A Big Part Of What We Do."

They are our Butler and Adebayo. Trade Booker and C.Paul. Bring J.Collins.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1168 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri May 20, 2022 1:14 am

Sunlight wrote:Should build team like Heat way. Around Ayton and Bridges. Tough defenders. Like JJ said: "Deandre Ayton A Big Part Of What We Do."

If Ayton had Bams playmaking on O his unreal quickness on D I would agree.

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1169 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri May 20, 2022 11:39 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=QN10zhoGwiCygHnPt3Uwnw&s=19

Good hire. I thought he did an admirable job in a brutal situation in Phoenix.

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1170 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat May 21, 2022 1:56 am

Dallas hitting 3s today.

thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1171 » by thamadkant » Sat May 21, 2022 2:16 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Sunlight wrote:Should build team like Heat way. Around Ayton and Bridges. Tough defenders. Like JJ said: "Deandre Ayton A Big Part Of What We Do."

Ayton is a better paint defender than Adebayo, but Adebayo is better weak side shot blocker and rim protector purely because he goes for blocks much more. But Ayton's length and overall standing reach and quickness for a 6'11.5 player makes it hard to get a clean look over him.
Adebayo is more agile around the perimeter defensively due to him being 6'8.5 without shoes. He's same height as Tatum or close to.
He is a PF playing C. He's very versatile.
But both Ayton and Adebayo are excellent defenders inside and outside.

Offensively, Ayton is much better scorer than Adebayo who relies on open looks to score, Ayton has more offensive moves. But Adebayo is a more willing passer.
With that said, Ayton has dominated Adebayo the last few times they've met. Ayton can guard Adebayo but Adebayo cant guard Ayton... and the fact that Adebayo ends up contesting more wings due to switches.
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#1172 » by bwoolf2 » Sat May 21, 2022 2:21 am

Nba about to be a 3 point shooting contest, no way you can max ayton with the direction things are going
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,389

Post#1173 » by SunsRback4Good » Sat May 21, 2022 2:49 am

Reggie Miller might as well be inside the warriors squad. He’s the biggest warrior fan at I’ve ever seen always praising them and super obsessed with Curry. Might as well be sucking off Curry before halftime.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,356

Post#1174 » by bwgood77 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:18 am

bwoolf2 wrote:Nba about to be a 3 point shooting contest, no way you can max ayton with the direction things are going

I was just thinking about the 3 pt shooting in this game. Then I was thinking that we were building our team to be full of shooters. Book was a shooter in college, Bridges and Cam 40-45% in college, Jae will not hesitate and shot over 44% in the playoffs the year before we signed him, Payne shot 44% last year from 3, Paul, 40%, and then we got Shamet who was supposed to be a great shooter.

But just about everyone was worse but Cam, who went from sub 35% to 43%,but then of course regressed back down in time for the playoffs.

3 pt shooters should not cost a lot and it should be a focus in practice, getting so many shots up. But I fear we just work on mid range games too much instead of making guys shoot hundreds of 3s a day so we can keep up with these other teams.

Ayton should help get them open with his gravity and efficiency. If you go to him and he scores at his avg rate of over 63%, you can counter over 41% 3pt shooting, and then if they double or triple, you should get guys open, which we do, but we never can seem to make them pay, and too often they decide to run off the 3 pt line for a 2 pointer and often don't get a good shot or turn it over.

We need guys that are confidentin shooting them a lot without hesitation. I am unsure why sometimes we have players that hesitate while other team's role players let them fly with confidence, but yes, to compete in the NBA today you need to hit near 40% from 3.

That being said, even though it was on low volume, he was our 3rd best 3 pt shooter this year behind Holiday and Cam. So there is a chance now that he started taking them and hitting at a good % that he incorporates them as a bigger part of his game to open things up a lot more for drivers.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,356

Post#1175 » by bwgood77 » Sat May 21, 2022 3:40 am

Damn, Dallas shoots nearly 47% on 3s on 45 attempts and still loses by 9.

We would have been crushed by either team tonight.
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,125

Post#1176 » by spanishninja » Sat May 21, 2022 4:10 am

The warriors kind of just laughed off that 19-point lead by Dallas. I can't see how this is anything but demoralizing.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,015

Post#1177 » by sunsbg » Sat May 21, 2022 6:37 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Ayton actually has some playmaking in him and is a lot closer to Bam than Mikal to Butler. We are talking about a team leader vs a role player here.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,015

Post#1178 » by sunsbg » Sat May 21, 2022 6:54 am

bwgood77 wrote:
bwoolf2 wrote:Nba about to be a 3 point shooting contest, no way you can max ayton with the direction things are going

I was just thinking about the 3 pt shooting in this game. Then I was thinking that we were building our team to be full of shooters. Book was a shooter in college, Bridges and Cam 40-45% in college, Jae will not hesitate and shot over 44% in the playoffs the year before we signed him, Payne shot 44% last year from 3, Paul, 40%, and then we got Shamet who was supposed to be a great shooter.

But just about everyone was worse but Cam, who went from sub 35% to 43%,but then of course regressed back down in time for the playoffs.

3 pt shooters should not cost a lot and it should be a focus in practice, getting so many shots up. But I fear we just work on mid range games too much instead of making guys shoot hundreds of 3s a day so we can keep up with these other teams.

Ayton should help get them open with his gravity and efficiency. If you go to him and he scores at his avg rate of over 63%, you can counter over 41% 3pt shooting, and then if they double or triple, you should get guys open, which we do, but we never can seem to make them pay, and too often they decide to run off the 3 pt line for a 2 pointer and often don't get a good shot or turn it over.

We need guys that are confidentin shooting them a lot without hesitation. I am unsure why sometimes we have players that hesitate while other team's role players let them fly with confidence, but yes, to compete in the NBA today you need to hit near 40% from 3.

That being said, even though it was on low volume, he was our 3rd best 3 pt shooter this year behind Holiday and Cam. So there is a chance now that he started taking them and hitting at a good % that he incorporates them as a bigger part of his game to open things up a lot more for drivers.

Agreed. Three point shooting is great, but you live by the three, die by the three as Mavs showed in this game. Ideally you should also have players who can penetrate and create easy opportunities at the basket like the Warriors wings do for Looney. Ayton should have gotten 20+ shots like in first game the whole series. Mavs fans were amused why Suns don't go thru DA all the time. Mikal sometimes drives and dishes to DA for easy baskets, but that's not Paul and Book's game. They are neither great 3pt shooters nor slashers.
The point on emphasis on 3PT shooting in practice is a good one. DFS was a bad 3PT shooter and now he's hitting a lot of 3s for the Mavs. We have a bunch of players who should be able to do the same.
bwoolf2
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,306

Post#1179 » by bwoolf2 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:38 am

sunsbg wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Agreed. Three point shooting is great, but you live by the three, die by the three as Mavs showed in this game. Ideally you should also have players who can penetrate and create easy opportunities at the basket like the Warriors wings do for Looney. Ayton should have gotten 20+ shots like in first game the whole series. Mavs fans were amused why Suns don't go thru DA all the time. Mikal sometimes drives and dishes to DA for easy baskets, but that's not Paul and Book's game. They are neither great 3pt shooters nor slashers.
The point on emphasis on 3PT shooting in practice is a good one. DFS was a bad 3PT shooter and now he's hitting a lot of 3s for the Mavs. We have a bunch of players who should be able to do the same.

Ya the difference with the Warriors is they are 3pt shooters and slashers, mavs can't win at the pace the Warriors play at. To make this a series they need to slow it way down but Warriors won't let them.

Still think Boston wins it all this year, their D is just next level and can shoot lights out. Udoka is a really underrated coach .

I think suns would be much better playing at a higher pace just don't know that Paul can or will do it. We were barley getting the ball across half court at the 16 second mark all playoffs he just refused to push the pace. I get it he want to direct and break them down but that's hard to do with your back tonthe basket and 12 seconds on the clock
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,370

Post#1180 » by Puff » Sat May 21, 2022 9:05 am

bwgood77 wrote:Damn, Dallas shoots nearly 47% on 3s on 45 attempts and still loses by 9.

We would have been crushed by either team tonight.

Golden State punished them with Looney. I think he had a career high in points at 21.

As most have said our advantage over the Mav's was Ayton. We should have punished them with Ayton, like the Warriors did with Looney. If Booker wants a super max he needs to shoot like Curry did tonight.

I really do not understand what went wrong with our team. It is really depressing. I can see our team beating either of these teams. Something really went wrong. As advertised, we were the best team in the league. We just played like crap.

Was that really our team that lost or a bunch of imposters?
      "Has Beal taken over leadership of this team? Book and KD are great players but appear to not have leadership qualities"

Return to Phoenix Suns