ImageImageImage

Game 77: Memphis Grizzlies (30-45) at Phoenix Suns (17-59), Saturday, Mar 30, 10PM

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,071

Re: Game 77: Memphis Grizzlies (30-45) at Phoenix Suns (17-59), Saturday, Mar 30, 10PM 

Post#101 » by Crives » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:16 am

garrick wrote:Bender was severely outweighed as he's probably only around 220lbs vs Val's 250+ so you can't really blame Bender here for being weak.

Having said that one concern about Bender that I had when we drafted him was him being able to put on weight as his brother was also not very big either so maybe he's just one of those people that can't get bulky?

I think Bender needs to be kept defending 4s, unless he’s going against a small ball or finesse C.
RatedR
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: Game 77: Memphis Grizzlies (30-45) at Phoenix Suns (17-59), Saturday, Mar 30, 10PM 

Post#102 » by RatedR » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:21 am

Why, why do we allow a guard to start in three games in row and average 2 points a game. I do not care how great he plays on defense, which is not even that impressive. But why we let this guy start when he is not even willing to try to improve himself for next season...
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,774

Post#103 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:39 am

garrick wrote:Bender was severely outweighed as he's probably only around 220lbs vs Val's 250+ so you can't really blame Bender here for being weak.

Having said that one concern about Bender that I had when we drafted him was him being able to put on weight as his brother was also not very big either so maybe he's just one of those people that can't get bulky?

Honestly he stayed in front of JV most of the time but JV was just on fire and was money from inside. It made Bender look bad but I didn't think his defense was all that bad, unfortunately JV was just on fire, and it was a size mismatch.

It sucks Ayton went out and it put Bender in that position because outside of that final stretch, he looked pretty good, shooting 40% from 3 (2-5), collecting 9 boards with a couple steals, blocks, assists, seeing open guys even before receiving the pass and playing within the game.

I really thought he probably played 3rd best tonight after Book/Ayton all around and would have given him a point on Nashty if not for allowing all those points at the end, but I really can't hold too much of that against him as we lacked serious size and they had vets in there in Conley and JV and we had mostly scrubs, especially once Ayton went out. The game really flipped when Ayton went out.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,774

Post#104 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:41 am

RatedR wrote:Why, why do we allow a guard to start in three games in row and average 2 points a game. I do not care how great he plays on defense, which is not even that impressive. But why we let this guy start when he is not even willing to try to improve himself for next season...

Melton? We just don't have much for alternatives. Might be worth giving Okobo a shot though if Johnson doesn't come back.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,398

Post#105 » by Mr Puddles » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:59 am

This game was the most frustrating to watch in a while. We were leading throughout the game with Booker on its way to another 50 point on high efficiency game.

Without the Suns 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th, leading scorer - the grizzlies essentially had their entire defense focus on Booker.

Would love to watch us play at full strength again.
Spoiler:
itlnsunsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#106 » by itlnsunsfan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:30 am

This sucks. Booker does everything he can to win these games, then gets **** on by non-suns fans cuz our team sucks so bad. I feel bad for him.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,019

Post#107 » by Saberestar » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:00 am

itlnsunsfan wrote:This sucks. Booker does everything he can to win these games, then gets **** on by non-suns fans cuz our team sucks so bad. I feel bad for him.

It was sad to watch. Booker played a PERFECT game. I mean....PERFECT.

He was average on defense, and that is what we wanted him to be, and he was making every right decision on offense leading to a ton of efficient points and assists.

But you can not win with players as bad as Bender playing a big role on your team. Oh my...how in the word this guy can be 7'1 and three full years training/playing in the NBA and be sooooooo damn weak. And offensively he just doesn't know how to score the ball, it is ridiculous. A couple of times he tried to go to the rim and he losed the ball easily. No skills at all. ****.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,890

Post#108 » by Qwigglez » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:22 am

Honestly I’m not mad at Bender for his defensive efforts. He just can’t do anything against JV who probably weighs 275lbs. It’s Bender not catching passes, missing easy shots, and he missed a rebound or two that I thought he was capable of getting. He just looked more timid than usual and that really irked me. Also there was that one pass where he was wide open for three, dribbled to the paint and then tried to pass it back outside but literally threw it right to Conley. That one was just so typical...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,798

Post#109 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:41 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:This game was the most frustrating to watch in a while. We were leading throughout the game with Booker on its way to another 50 point on high efficiency game.

Without the Suns 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th, leading scorer - the grizzlies essentially had their entire defense focus on Booker.

Would love to watch us play at full strength again.

yeah it would be awesome if we had Oubre, TJ, TJo and Ayton playing the whole game and while Booker probably wouldn't have had his little streak, I think we could certainly have won these games. Oubre in particular was showing that he had potential to be that someone who could create his own shot to take pressure of Booker. Throw in TJ in place of the minutes Jackson/Bender normally plays and we have a solid rotation.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#110 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:47 pm

Qwigglez wrote:Honestly I’m not mad at Bender for his defensive efforts. He just can’t do anything against JV who probably weighs 275lbs. It’s Bender not catching passes, missing easy shots, and he missed a rebound or two that I thought he was capable of getting. He just looked more timid than usual and that really irked me. Also there was that one pass where he was wide open for three, dribbled to the paint and then tried to pass it back outside but literally threw it right to Conley. That one was just so typical...

Yeah I mean, I gave Bender crap for the poor defense and it's a bit whatever since JV is fairly legit in the paint but it's really those really ultra frustrating mistakes he makes which just infuriates me. A guy with his level of skill, BBIQ and size shouldn't be so dumb as to give up good shots to drive and kick to another shooter especially when those weak passes are picked off or the guy receiving the pass isn't really in better position to shoot it than he was. I can handle missed shots but missed opportunities to shoot, I can't handle that. I'm pretty sure we're talking about that same play

:banghead:
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 359

Post#111 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:51 pm

The death of a Bender apologist.

He's only 21, has a high bbiq, plays better team D than Ayton, can handle the ball, can hit 3's, can pass, he hasn't been used the right way. Potential, potential, potential.

These are the thoughts that kept me on the Dragan train. I'm now willing to take the risk he will torch us while playing for someone else. Bummer. I was clinging to the possibility that we did not completely blow that draft.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,220

Post#112 » by sunsbg » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:03 pm

Tankfest2018 wrote:The death of a Bender apologist.

He's only 21, has a high bbiq, plays better team D than Ayton, can handle the ball, can hit 3's, can pass, he hasn't been used the right way. Potential, potential, potential.

These are the thoughts that kept me on the Dragan train. I'm now willing to take the risk he will torch us while playing for someone else. Bummer. I was clinging to the possibility that we did not completely blow that draft.

Congratulations for escaping the train before the clash.

Yeah, there is a slim chance he torches us in a random game where he doesn't suck, which is usually 1 of 10. Same for Alex Len. I can't believe people fear from that. This guy will probably play in Europe soon enough, after some NBA team gives him chance, and he proves again to be a role player at best.

Just watching the game, on that play where he turned the ball over he should have simply passed to Bridges. Showed lack of skill and BBIQ on a simple play, but some people here act like it's on Doncic's level for example.
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 359

Post#113 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:16 pm

sunsbg wrote:

Yeah, there is a slim chance he torches us in a random game where he doesn't suck, which is usually 1 of 10. Same for Alex Len. I can't believe people fear from that. This guy will probably play in Europe soon enough, after some NBA team gives him chance, and he proves again to be a role player at best.

Just watching the game, on that play where he turned the ball over he should have simply passed to Bridges. Showed lack of skill and BBIQ on a simple play, but some people here act like it's on Doncic's level for example.

His BBIQ evolved into a talking point but there is less to support that claim as time goes on. You don't pass up open shots in the lane with a team like we have and you are 7 feet tall.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by sunsbg » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:46 pm

Tankfest2018 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

His BBIQ evolved into a talking point but there is less to support that claim as time goes on. You don't pass up open shots in the lane with a team like we have and you are 7 feet tall.

Yeah, both his skills and BBIQ have always been overrated. On that particular discussed play, he faked Valanciunas and drove to the basket, but Mikal's defender closed the line, so he either should have shot it off the dribble, which I don't think he has ever done in Suns game(?) - lack of skill. Or passed to Bridges as the obvious choice - lack of BBIQ. Bridges was open and would have launched a 3, or passed for an open corner 3 if covered by Melton's (or Daniel's) defender. He has done a few nice passes here or there, but also too many mechanical passes, which suggest he has been thought how to play in Europe(no improvement since then at all), but it doesn't come that naturally to him. His game is just not NBA suited, unlike the other euro young player I mentioned in Luka, who has thrieved in the more one on one oriented NBA style.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#115 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:47 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Honestly I’m not mad at Bender for his defensive efforts. He just can’t do anything against JV who probably weighs 275lbs. It’s Bender not catching passes, missing easy shots, and he missed a rebound or two that I thought he was capable of getting. He just looked more timid than usual and that really irked me. Also there was that one pass where he was wide open for three, dribbled to the paint and then tried to pass it back outside but literally threw it right to Conley. That one was just so typical...

Yeah I mean, I gave Bender crap for the poor defense and it's a bit whatever since JV is fairly legit in the paint but it's really those really ultra frustrating mistakes he makes which just infuriates me. A guy with his level of skill, BBIQ and size shouldn't be so dumb as to give up good shots to drive and kick to another shooter especially when those weak passes are picked off or the guy receiving the pass isn't really in better position to shoot it than he was. I can handle missed shots but missed opportunities to shoot, I can't handle that. I'm pretty sure we're talking about that same play

Yeah Bender has no chance physically against Val but I agree he sucked at other aspects last night that make me happy we're in the final death knell of the Bender era.

I think Igor deserves some blame for Val. While he didn't have a healthy option big enough to handle him igor needed to try SOMETHING instead of letting Bender just get abused like 6 possessions in a row. Front him or hard double and conceed an open shot and hope they miss.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,564

Post#116 » by SunsLyf3 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:28 pm

Everyone still too focused on Bender despite being outclassed by the bigger-more talented Valenciunnas. What I really want to know is "where was Okobo in the 2nd half". He was the only thing that came remotely close to a PG(great court vision, made some 'wow' passes and took care of the ball) yet we had Jamal Crawford out there?
SuperSunsFan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,364

Post#117 » by SuperSunsFan » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:04 pm

People just think he has high bbiq because he is white and dorky looking. Any unbiased person who has seen him play knows he simply doesn't cut it as a nba player, he lacks everything, the reflexes, court awareness, confidence, he is a step too slow for everything, look at his display of clumsiness when trying to make a play or drive to the basket, he rarely can get to the basket without losing the ball midway or have he ball striped away.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by sunsbg » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:15 pm

SunsLyf3 wrote:Everyone still too focused on Bender despite being outclassed by the bigger-more talented Valenciunnas. What I really want to know is "where was Okobo in the 2nd half". He was the only thing that came remotely close to a PG(great court vision, made some 'wow' passes and took care of the ball) yet we had Jamal Crawford out there?

Let's be more realistic and not create myths about players like Bender and Okobo. He's best suited as a backup scoring guard at the moment. He can't create offense for others yet and is a bad defender, the reasons he's behind the other two in the rotation. I don't remember any 'wow' passes for the season, other than a few alley-oops I guess. JC had 8 assists, two good passes to Booker in the post. Okobo 0 assists in 7 minutes.
SunsLyf3
Sixth Man
And1: 1,564

Post#119 » by SunsLyf3 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:44 pm

sunsbg wrote:
SunsLyf3 wrote:Everyone still too focused on Bender despite being outclassed by the bigger-more talented Valenciunnas. What I really want to know is "where was Okobo in the 2nd half". He was the only thing that came remotely close to a PG(great court vision, made some 'wow' passes and took care of the ball) yet we had Jamal Crawford out there?

Let's be more realistic and not create myths about players like Bender and Okobo. He's best suited as a backup scoring guard at the moment. He can't create offense for others yet and is a bad defender, the reasons he's behind the other two in the rotation. I don't remember any 'wow' passes for the season, other than a few alley-oops I guess. JC had 8 assists, two good passes to Booker in the post. Okobo 0 assists in 7 minutes.

Then you must have not been watching the entire 2nd quarter. He literally had a no look bounce pass between 3 defenders that was an open layup and I believe it was Bridges(could be wrong) that took it back out. Also had a cross court pass to an open shooter that was MISSED. In the littlebit of time he had he actually played PG. Only reason Melton plays more is his defense and spot up shooting. Other than that Melton is a horrible PG.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#120 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:34 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Yeah Bender has no chance physically against Val but I agree he sucked at other aspects last night that make me happy we're in the final death knell of the Bender era.

I think Igor deserves some blame for Val. While he didn't have a healthy option big enough to handle him igor needed to try SOMETHING instead of letting Bender just get abused like 6 possessions in a row. Front him or hard double and conceed an open shot and hope they miss.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

Yeah I would've thrown him different looks. Send the single, then the double and maybe even sub in Spalding. It's a tough situation to just let Bender try and figure it out when after 3 seasons, he still hasn't really figured it out. I agree, Igor should take some blame for that.

Return to Phoenix Suns