Lakers/Kings
19%

Total votes: 16

Revived
RealGM
And1: 20,435

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 5 - The Trade Deadline 

Post#101 » by Revived » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:21 am

I never understand why teams all wait till the last possible minute before the deadline to make trades in the NBA. If you genuinely want a player and that player is being shopped by the other team, isn’t it better to make the trade for that player sooner than later for both teams?

That way it gives the player more time and opportunity to develop chemistry with his teammates, learn a new system and tendencies and all that.

In the NBA being a GM feels pretty easy…basically don’t do anything and chill all season long and then maybe 3-4 days before the deadline, start making offers and making deals.

I give credit it teams like the Pacers for trading for Siakam, and Knicks adding OG and Heat adding Rozier etc well before the deadline so those players actually have time to gel with their team and establish themselves for a playoff run.

All the others just waiting till the deadline feel like loser procrastinators.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,661

Post#102 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:09 am

Game thread set for tomorrow. Go Suns!!! F—- Crowder :)
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,649

Post#103 » by Stix » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:14 am

Revived wrote:Royce O’Neal’s numbers do not look all that impressive. And he’s undersized for a SF. I think I’d pass tbh would rather keep the second round pick. Not a big upgrade over KBD even.

He's more of a glue guy. He can give you like a 5-5-5 line and do the dirty work. Decent bench guy.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,775

Post#104 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:15 am

garrick wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Trading for Craig a 3rd time would be hilarious.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app

https://www.nba.com/news/suns-pacers-trade-smith-craig

I mean that trade is just infuriating because we had to give up Stix who is looking like a really productive player on limited minutes on the Pacers. Imagine if we had Stix on our roster right now he would be an immense upgrade from any of the forwards we have on the roster right now.
The actual trade was fine and helped the suns more than Stix would have sitting on the bench for 30 games before signing someplace else that summer.

EVERYTHING involving Stix leading up to that trade was a **** disaster. Like why did they pick him over Hali or Vassel? Why did they then give up on him and not pick up his option after one damn season? Complete failure through and through.

Once the option was declined it was all over so trading him for anything was the right move.

Oh and I should note I think Stix is still an awkward and meh player. Like 9th man ceiling.
Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,555

Post#105 » by Jdiddy701 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:26 am

Trade deadline is almost here! I couldn’t stay away. One guy that really intrigues me and I really wonder if Milwaukee will trade is Bobby Portis. This likely means Grayson and others are traded to Milwaukee or another team but somehow I got a weird feeling that he may be available. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,402

Post#106 » by Saberestar » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:33 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:Trade deadline is almost here! I couldn’t stay away. One guy that really intrigues me and I really wonder if Milwaukee will trade is Bobby Portis. This likely means Grayson and others are traded to Milwaukee or another team but somehow I got a weird feeling that he may be available. What do you guys think?

Portis is too important for the Bucks, I can’t see him available.
Revived
RealGM

Post#107 » by Revived » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:36 am

Stix wrote:
Revived wrote:Royce O’Neal’s numbers do not look all that impressive. And he’s undersized for a SF. I think I’d pass tbh would rather keep the second round pick. Not a big upgrade over KBD even.

He's more of a glue guy. He can give you like a 5-5-5 line and do the dirty work. Decent bench guy.

We have Okogie for that tbh.
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,555

2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 5 - The Trade Deadline 

Post#108 » by Jdiddy701 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:38 am

Saberestar wrote:
Jdiddy701 wrote:Trade deadline is almost here! I couldn’t stay away. One guy that really intrigues me and I really wonder if Milwaukee will trade is Bobby Portis. This likely means Grayson and others are traded to Milwaukee or another team but somehow I got a weird feeling that he may be available. What do you guys think?

I saw earlier today from Marc Stein that Bucks and Dallas are discussing a trade to swap Bobby Portis to Dallas for Grant Williams. There’s a lot of smoke right now but Marc Stein is pretty reliable.. he always has good insight to things going on in Dallas. I couldn’t believe it when I read that. That’s a steal for Dallas.

Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,649

Post#109 » by Stix » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:53 am

Revived wrote:
Stix wrote:

We have Okogie for that tbh.

Yea, I don't get it either. Doubt we're interested, probably just media smoke because he is linked with KD.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#110 » by Saberestar » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:24 am

Jdiddy701 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

I saw earlier today from Marc Stein that Bucks and Dallas are discussing a trade to swap Bobby Portis to Dallas for Grant Williams. There’s a lot of smoke right now but Marc Stein is pretty reliable.. he always has good insight to things going on in Dallas. I couldn’t believe it when I read that. That’s a steal for Dallas.

In that case that would be a good upgrade for the Mavs.
Revived
RealGM

Post#111 » by Revived » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:12 am

Would any team trading for Tyus Jones get his bird rights as well? Because he’s on an expiring deal now and all he will cost is 2nd rd picks.

That’s still my favorite target for the Suns. He’s a better defender than he gets credit for and would allow the Suns to have a playmaker come off the bench when Booker is sitting. It would help the team with pace especially in the 4th qtr where the Suns “super team” is the worst 4th qtr team in the entire league despite having a s**t load of veteran players and one of the older rosters in the NBA.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,431

Post#112 » by garrick » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:40 am

Revived wrote:Would any team trading for Tyus Jones get his bird rights as well? Because he’s on an expiring deal now and all he will cost is 2nd rd picks.

That’s still my favorite target for the Suns. He’s a better defender than he gets credit for and would allow the Suns to have a playmaker come off the bench when Booker is sitting. It would help the team with pace especially in the 4th qtr where the Suns “super team” is the worst 4th qtr team in the entire league despite having a s**t load of veteran players and one of the older rosters in the NBA.

If 2nd round picks are all that will take to get it done I am all in but it depends how many picks and Washington might want at least 3-4 picks seeing how Jae Crowder was traded for 5 second round picks which would mean we are forfeiting picks for the next 5 years which could be dangerous if Tyus decides to walk after this season.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,431

Post#113 » by garrick » Tue Feb 6, 2024 7:40 am

Revived wrote:Would any team trading for Tyus Jones get his bird rights as well? Because he’s on an expiring deal now and all he will cost is 2nd rd picks.

If 2nd round picks are all that will take to get it done I am all in but it depends how many picks and Washington might want at least 3-4 picks seeing how Jae Crowder was traded for 5 second round picks which would mean we are forfeiting picks for the next 5 years which could be dangerous if Tyus decides to walk after this season.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,491

Post#114 » by Calvin Klein » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:50 am

Get Torrey Craig please. I miss him and his beautiful handles and passing.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#115 » by Saberestar » Tue Feb 6, 2024 9:58 am

Tyus Jones is 6'1 with shoes (6'0.25 barefoot), he is a problem on defense because he is REALLY small and not strong/wide or a freak athlete at all.

Only a few great players has been positive defenders being THAT small...you can name it. In the last few years Lowry, CP3 and FVV and you know that all three are/were much stronger and heavier than Tyus and have ridiculous high basketball IQ.

We aren't good on defense but can get worse, and his salary is too high ($14.5M) so we would need to include Grayson Allen in the trade and that would be a downgrade in our roster.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 8,085

Post#116 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Feb 6, 2024 10:51 am

ONeal can shoot the 3 especially from the corner at 40%.

That makes him playoff playable over many others and his +/- is consistently positive which is huge for a minutes filler.

He could even start to transform our defense, Gordon and Allen can still get 25 mins in a shortened rotation.

He takes the same amount of shots as Allen per 36 so isn't a liability on that end but could impact defending star scorers potentially like a Harden or Shai.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#117 » by Saberestar » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:06 pm

There is a guy that can fit nicely on the Cam Payne's trade exception ($6.5M)...Otto Porter Jr.

He is on an expiring contract ($6.3M) and he is healthy but actually not playing for the Raptors. He had an injury in December but he has been available for the last couple of weeks but he is out of the rotation.

Not sure if he is done physically BUT if he has any gas on the tank yet he could be a fantastic 3&D wing for us.

He was really good for the Warrios just a couple years ago and he has length, high IQ and experience on his side. 30 years old.

We would need to waive someone to create a roster spot. Metu would be my first choice.
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,460

Post#118 » by sasquatchBob » Tue Feb 6, 2024 1:49 pm

Revived wrote:I never understand why teams all wait till the last possible minute before the deadline to make trades in the NBA. If you genuinely want a player and that player is being shopped by the other team, isn’t it better to make the trade for that player sooner than later for both teams?

That way it gives the player more time and opportunity to develop chemistry with his teammates, learn a new system and tendencies and all that.

In the NBA being a GM feels pretty easy…basically don’t do anything and chill all season long and then maybe 3-4 days before the deadline, start making offers and making deals.

I give credit it teams like the Pacers for trading for Siakam, and Knicks adding OG and Heat adding Rozier etc well before the deadline so those players actually have time to gel with their team and establish themselves for a playoff run.

All the others just waiting till the deadline feel like loser procrastinators.

I think the idea behind it is that as a seller you wait out until the end for the best possible deal. If you're selling you're probably going for lottery anyway, so get back as much as possible without considering chemistry etc.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 7,250

Post#119 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:30 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:Get Torrey Craig please. I miss him and his beautiful handles and passing.

On point!! :nod:
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 7,250

Post#120 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:49 pm

Saberestar wrote:There is a guy that can fit nicely on the Cam Payne's trade exception ($6.5M)...Otto Porter Jr.

He is on an expiring contract ($6.3M) and he is healthy but actually not playing for the Raptors. He had an injury in December but he has been available for the last couple of weeks but he is out of the rotation.

Not sure if he is done physically BUT if he has any gas on the tank yet he could be a fantastic 3&D wing for us.

He was really good for the Warrios just a couple years ago and he has length, high IQ and experience on his side. 30 years old.

We would need to waive someone to create a roster spot. Metu would be my first choice.

Thank you! :clap:
The Raptors are looking for a bit more frontcourt size after their recent loss too! I was looking at Boucher myself as well as Porter Jr for two separate considerations. Mainly because of his rebounding and perimeter switchability reputation. But his 11 million contract would require multiple pieces and I'm not sure of our disposition on that currently! But to your comment on Porter Jr, I wholheartedly agree with you on utilizing our exceptions on matching salary considerations like him given his skillset versatility and championship experience if he can still play at an impactful level or at least contribute dfensively.

I'd much rather our front office use our exceptions to upgrade our depth rather than to just let them expire and he'd be a solid get for sure.

Return to Phoenix Suns