Lakers/Kings
19%

Total votes: 16

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,775

Re: 2023-24 Season Discussion and Speculation 5 - The Trade Deadline 

Post#121 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 6, 2024 2:55 pm

Saberestar wrote:There is a guy that can fit nicely on the Cam Payne's trade exception ($6.5M)...Otto Porter Jr.

He is on an expiring contract ($6.3M) and he is healthy but actually not playing for the Raptors. He had an injury in December but he has been available for the last couple of weeks but he is out of the rotation.

Not sure if he is done physically BUT if he has any gas on the tank yet he could be a fantastic 3&D wing for us.

He was really good for the Warrios just a couple years ago and he has length, high IQ and experience on his side. 30 years old.

We would need to waive someone to create a roster spot. Metu would be my first choice.
Yeah if Otto has anything left physically he'd be a great addition.

That's the type of player I want most. A guy who can play the 4 if they go small with KD at the 5 but can also an option to play along side Nurk and KD if they are going big.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,995

Post#122 » by BobbieL » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:09 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Saberestar wrote:There is a guy that can fit nicely on the Cam Payne's trade exception ($6.5M)...Otto Porter Jr.

He is on an expiring contract ($6.3M) and he is healthy but actually not playing for the Raptors. He had an injury in December but he has been available for the last couple of weeks but he is out of the rotation.

Not sure if he is done physically BUT if he has any gas on the tank yet he could be a fantastic 3&D wing for us.

He was really good for the Warrios just a couple years ago and he has length, high IQ and experience on his side. 30 years old.

We would need to waive someone to create a roster spot. Metu would be my first choice.

That's the type of player I want most. A guy who can play the 4 if they go small with KD at the 5 but can also an option to play along side Nurk and KD if they are going big.

Plus he isn't Miles Bridges - that one just doesn't feel right to me
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,198

Post#123 » by starbosa10 » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:17 pm

BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

I'd rather not get anyone then get Miles Bridges
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#124 » by BobbieL » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:24 pm

starbosa10 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Yeah if Otto has anything left physically he'd be a great addition.

Correct!

I suggested this earlier - can they use Little and another player to get TJ McC and when PJ is bought out - bring him on board - I know he is basically washed but he isn't Miles Bridges

And the more I read about Miles Bridges -just from a contract standpoint - he would probably turn down any trade as he loses Bird Rights
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#125 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:24 pm

I don't want Miles either but if Charlotte just wants to be done with him and flips him for like Little and a nothing 2nd rounder I'll hold my nose and be fine with the deal.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#126 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:27 pm

BobbieL wrote:
starbosa10 wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

Correct!

I suggested this earlier - can they use Little and another player to get TJ McC and when PJ is bought out - bring him on board - I know he is basically washed but he isn't Miles Bridges

And the more I read about Miles Bridges -just from a contract standpoint - he would probably turn down any trade as he loses Bird Rights
With the bird rights thing if Charlotte tells his agent they have zero interest in resigning him I could see him OK a trade. He's more likely to get a decent FA deal by balling out on a playoff team than rotting away in Charlotte as they coast out there bad season.

BobbieL
RealGM

Post#127 » by BobbieL » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:34 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
starbosa10 wrote:

Correct!

With the bird rights thing if Charlotte tells his agent they have zero interest in resigning him I could see him OK a trade. He's more likely to get a decent FA deal by balling out on a playoff team than rotting away in Charlotte as they coast out there bad season.

Thats a good point. Gambo - I don't think has confirmed or denied anything with Bridges like with Tyus Jones and others.

Two days to go... at the WM Open tomorrow -- so won't be checking the internet but Thursday - will be
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,401

Post#128 » by Saberestar » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:34 pm

The Suns will likely trade for a “on the fringe” wing player who could potentially contribute in their postseason rotation, per @wojespn.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-woj-pod/id1470466331
49erhokie
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#129 » by 49erhokie » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:41 pm

Saberestar wrote:
The Suns will likely trade for a “on the fringe” wing player who could potentially contribute in their postseason rotation, per @wojespn.

Unless Shams says it, I don't believe Woj.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#130 » by BobbieL » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:48 pm

49erhokie wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

Unless Shams says it, I don't believe Woj.

True and that pretty much eliminates a guy like Miles Bridges...

The Otto Porter for the trade exception might work for me at this point
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#131 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 6, 2024 3:54 pm

BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
Correct!

Thats a good point. Gambo - I don't think has confirmed or denied anything with Bridges like with Tyus Jones and others.

Two days to go... at the WM Open tomorrow -- so won't be checking the internet but Thursday - will be
I have zero interest in trading any of their limited assets for Tyus Jones or any other little PG. Booker, Beal, and Grayson all need to play as much as possible and I don't like a little PG with those 3.

Now if a depth PG comes available on the buy out market then sure but the suns have such limited trade assets they can't use them on one IMO.

BobbieL
RealGM

Post#132 » by BobbieL » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:02 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:With the bird rights thing if Charlotte tells his agent they have zero interest in resigning him I could see him OK a trade. He's more likely to get a decent FA deal by balling out on a playoff team than rotting away in Charlotte as they coast out there bad season.

I have zero interest in trading any of their limited assets for Tyus Jones or any other little PG. Booker, Beal, and Grayson all need to play as much as possible and I don't like a little PG with those 3.

Now if a depth PG comes available on the buy out market then sure but the suns have such limited trade assets they can't use them on one IMO.

And even if Lowry is bought out, the Suns cannot sign him. Over the limit. I think the Suns can sign somebody bought out that makes like $13m or less now.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#133 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:28 pm

BobbieL wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
BobbieL wrote:

And even if Lowry is bought out, the Suns cannot sign him. Over the limit. I think the Suns can sign somebody bought out that makes like $13m or less now.
Yeah I'm not losing any sleep over that one, if Miami thinks he's too cooked to help them I imagine that would be the case here too.

Edit, lol I forgot he was part of Rozier trade. Still not too upset about not getting him because again the whole little PG thing.

Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,649

Post#134 » by Stix » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:36 pm

BobbieL wrote:And even if Lowry is bought out, the Suns cannot sign him. Over the limit. I think the Suns can sign somebody bought out that makes like $13m or less now.

The perks of having Beal and being in the 2nd apron. 8-)
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#135 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 6, 2024 4:55 pm

Stix wrote:
BobbieL wrote:And even if Lowry is bought out, the Suns cannot sign him. Over the limit. I think the Suns can sign somebody bought out that makes like $13m or less now.

They were going to be over the second apron with virtually any path this summer outside of simply declining Paul's option. And in that case it's basically this roster with Shamet instead of Beal.

But hey don't let facts get in the way of your narrative.

Also say the suns hadn't traded for KD, well Bridges and Cam combined make as much as KD so again same spot money/apron wise.

Really anything other than the suns going rebuild and shipping guys out they were going to be up against it money wise, that's been the reality since the summer of 22. The question at that point was 'is a core of Booker, Bridges, Cam and Ayton good enough to build around and compete? Because there just wasn't going to be flexibility to add anything but draft picks (most of which don't actually work out) and small salaries. I personally didn't think that was a championship core so that's why I was cool with a drastic move like the KD deal.

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,401

Post#136 » by Saberestar » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:18 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Stix wrote:

They were going to be over the second apron with virtually any path this summer outside of simply declining Paul's option. And in that case it's basically this roster with Shamet instead of Beal.

Also say the suns hadn't traded for KD, well Bridges and Cam combined make as much as KD so again same spot money/apron wise.

Really anything other than the suns going rebuild and shipping guys out they were going to be up against it money wise, that's been the reality since the summer of 22. The question at that point was 'is a core of Booker, Bridges, Cam and Ayton good enough to build around and compete? Because there just wasn't going to be flexibility to add anything but draft picks (most of which don't actually work out) and small salaries. I personally didn't think that was a championship core so that's why I was cool with a drastic move like the KD deal.

Yeah, I can’t understand why people keep ignoring the fact that CP3+Shamet make as much as Beal and they are MUCH worse as a basketball players. That trade was an steal because Beal is just 30 years old.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#137 » by BobbieL » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:42 pm

Saberestar wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Stix wrote:

Yeah, I can’t understand why people keep ignoring the fact that CP3+Shamet make as much as Beal and they are MUCH worse as a basketball players. That trade was an steal because Beal is just 30 years old.

Aside from the length of the deal - maybe you don't want to take on 200m for 4 years

But the trade was a steal for the Suns
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 14,144

Post#138 » by yosemiteben » Tue Feb 6, 2024 5:47 pm

garrick wrote:Those are allegations and nothing is stopping Miles from requesting a restraining order to stop her from stalking him.

Hornets fan here just perusing this thread. Just as an fyi, I believe it has been reported that Miles actually did obtain a restraining order - https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/08/miles-bridges-files-restraining-order-from-domestic-violence-accuser/

WeekapaugGroove wrote:With the bird rights thing if Charlotte tells his agent they have zero interest in resigning him I could see him OK a trade.

(1) That's extraordinarily unlikely from Charlotte's perspective, we were prepared to give him a max before he had his off court issues, we wanted to sign him last summer and only signed him to the tender offer once we couldn't come to terms on his contract amount and specifically did so to preserve his bird rights so we can sign him this summer. Our FO has signaled all along that they want Bridges back.

(2) Rad username dude, blaze on!
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#139 » by BobbieL » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:07 pm

yosemiteben wrote:
garrick wrote:Those are allegations and nothing is stopping Miles from requesting a restraining order to stop her from stalking him.

Hornets fan here just perusing this thread. Just as an fyi, I believe it has been reported that Miles actually did obtain a restraining order - https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/08/miles-bridges-files-restraining-order-from-domestic-violence-accuser/

WeekapaugGroove wrote:With the bird rights thing if Charlotte tells his agent they have zero interest in resigning him I could see him OK a trade.

(1) That's extraordinarily unlikely from Charlotte's perspective, we were prepared to give him a max before he had his off court issues, we wanted to sign him last summer and only signed him to the tender offer once we couldn't come to terms on his contract amount and specifically did so to preserve his bird rights so we can sign him this summer. Our FO has signaled all along that they want Bridges back.

Thanks for the feedback -- so do you think its more unlikely they trade Bridges as they probably will not get the value they want

Keeeeeepppp!! Poundinnnngggg!
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#140 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Feb 6, 2024 6:14 pm

yosemiteben wrote:

Yeah if that's the case and Charlotte has interest in keeping him beyond this year I don't think he'll be getting traded this week.

'I'm sharing in the weakapaug groove!' :)

Return to Phoenix Suns