ImageImageImage

The Official 2024 Offseason Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,057

Re: The Official 2024 Offseason Thread 

Post#1261 » by TeamTragic » Wed May 22, 2024 11:23 pm

Stix wrote:OKAY, IM SICK OF THE BEAL TRADE DEFENDERS...

All I have to do is point out Dallas. Made the same type of risky move that we did. (KD/Kyrie trade)

The difference was that they stood pat on having Kyrie/Luka duo, and not taking another huge risk in obtaining a third "star" (Beal)

They tweaked their roster around Kyrie/Luka and were able to make banger trades at the dealine for Washington/Gafford to shore up their front court weakness and make them true contenders.

Our Front-Office excuse was lack of chemistry and not enough time to gel. But Dallas had the same type of situation but made the right moves and is now 8 wins away from a chip.

If we had a competent coach like Kidd (not Vogel), and a front office GM/Owner (not Jones/Ishbia) that don't make horrendous trades like obtaining Brad Beal (i don't care we gave up scraps for him. He is the worst contract in the NBA, and not good. We can't trade this guy and he is always 1 game away from a season ending injury. THIS IS BAD. NO ONE WANTS HIM AND HE SUCKS.)

Now Dallas are in WCF and and we are barely getting over the sunburns from Cancun.

What the hell is this word soup? The fact is either you keep CP3/Shamet or you get Beal/Goodwin.

This is not that complicated. We tried to get Kyrie for a similar package but Nets took the Mavs offer instead.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 7,030

Post#1262 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 23, 2024 12:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Yeah, makes no sense. That trade was one of the bigger steals I've seen. I know GoK loves his 2nd round picks but you're getting a previous scoring leader and even as a 3rd option put up 18/5/4 on over 60% TS and 43% from 3. Just 2 years ago he was ranked 11 on espn and 16 on cbs. Contracts suck. I think most who hate it and casuals from around the league just simply don't understand our cap situation and that those guys had zero/negative value. Beal may not be worth his contract but who is worth that much? Nobody really except guys like Jokic, Luka, Giannis, etc.

My argument was not that he's at all a bad player, and I actually like that Beal showed some spine and acted like a leader at times. My issue was/is that we simply gave up more value than was truly necessary considering that we clearly held all the leverage for numerous reasons. Also, the fact that I can see value in 2nd round picks even when others aren't able too has nothing to do with my discontent over the value exchange in this trade. Cumulatively, Helping the Wiz get off of Beals' money and helping them begin the long overdue rebuild was the centerpiece value for them. On top of that, the ceiling for inclusionary pick sweeteners should've clearly been capped at no more than two picks.

Again, the fact that I can value 2nds is irrelevant to my displeasure in this trade outcome simply because it's no mystery that our front office wouldn't have actually used it to draft anyone anyways. BUT had we not given up so much cumulative asset value in the exchange, then we'd obviously have had a few more options beyond just O'neale as our big climactic signing post big three. I'm fine with having Beal, I'm just not fine with hemorrhaging assets in trades just to push a deal through more quickly. I've continually said it's just not smart to deal from a position weakness wherein we constantly have to overpay for desired players leaving ourselves in a worse situation than before we went into the trade. Getting big names are great, but the total cost surrendered can sometimes have greater total impact than the player acquired. We're currently experiencing this very outcome.

People can try to make my issue about this trade into anything they like, but I've clearly explained now multiple times that it wasn't about Beal as a player, but much rather the measure of surrendered value in correlation to the leverage that we did have and did not utilize to put us in a better situation with at least some options going forward.The top franchises and legitimate championship teams don't throw away value carelessly. They maximize every available resource as best they can to become the strongest version of themselves. We on the other hand do the opposite. We constantly shortchange ourselves by bidding against ourselves, not utilizing all pathways available to us for sustainability. Negotiate from a point of weakness giving up more value than is truly necessary if we had only not been impatient to rush and get things done quickly regardless of context.

We did the same thing in the KD trade too, being so eager to throw a superteam together that we gave up too much depth and assets when KD had all the leverage and made it clear he only wanted to come here! Paul's value and Shamets' value was contextually irrelevant to this trade because the Wizards ownership's primary goal was to move Beal post haste in order to get started with their rebuild. Beals' contract was/is viewed as immovable and the most toxic contract in the entire league. And as such he really had no other bidders! In that context, getting off his salary/ toxic contract w/ no-trade clause for two much more movable contracts and the ability to finally begin their rebuild is equitable value in of itself. the number of picks swaps AND 2nds on top of those swaps cumulatively exceeded fair and equitable value. So regardless of Beals' talent, we bailed them out and helped facilitate their core interests and then gave them unnecessary additional value on top of it just for the privilege.

That's contextually losing a trade when you surrender excess value with no other bidders and while holding complete leverage. We'll never be a true contender franchise if we keep losing trades. That's my issue with the Beal trade. :D

The reason we got such a great deal IS that we held all the leverage. I thought we were stuck with Paul who added very little, if not negative play on the court because his shooting was bad and his midrange game was gone as well as his defense. His intangible leadership was hard to replace but his contract was just as bad given what he was unable to provide. And we all know what people thought about Shamet.

Now you could argue we held the leverage with KD too who ALSO only wanted us. Now they could have traded him elsewhere but he may have asked out there, etc, so it was unlikely another team would offer much. What we gave up for KD dwarfs what we gave up for Beal in a big way, and KD's intangibles are negative, with zero leadership, the opposite, etc. I really don't understand how anyone could think we gave up too much when we gave up two negative contracts for FAR worse players than Beal. Seconds very RARELY work out and keep roster spots for long, and very rarely make the rotation, despite your affinity for them.

Also, as people constantly forget, we couldn't have used that money for other players if/when CP3/Shamet expired due to Book's supermax kicking in, keeping us over the cap.

Had we gone into the season with CP3 and Shamet and heard we had a chance to get Beal for them and 2nds, people would be bashing Ish and Jones nonstop.

Just because we can both agree that we had all the leverage, doesn't excuse overpaying when we didn't have to. I get that our front office doesn't value picks IN ANY RANGE but again, those picks whether 2nds or trade swaps are still cost-controlled currency that could've returned greater depth for us! And those pick swaps do matter (count) as cumulative lost value because WE DON'T HAVE CONTROL OVER THEM and can't really apply them to trades (outside of maybe last-minute draft night deals) If we end up keeping that pick as the worst of three! But even then, what kind of value should we expect from that scenario?

I'll repeat too "it's not about the 2nds" for me in the sense that I'd actually believe we would use them because I know that this front office won't actually do anything with the draft! It's an issue for me (whether you think I'm being unreasonably greedy or not) that we deal from a position of strength and win trades because that's what the top franchises that are actual contenders do. But we just continually give away important assets that otherwise (had we negotiated better/ stronger) could've been applied to actual legitimate depth pieces and we might have experienced better outcome than what we ended with! This is important because of our specific very limited situation post-trade.

And you keep using the Paul and Shamet contracts as being negative value contracts when Bothn had only one year remaining on their deals as the following year for either in 24-25 was NON GUARANTEED!! Now we saw how quickly Washington was able to flip Pauls' contract, But they just as easily could've sat them out for the season (as they were straight tanking) and then had upwards of $40 million cap reduction the following summer If they chose too. Again, back then (during that offseason, many of us discussed potential alternative trades Were they really negative and not just neutral considering any other potential teams over the cap or tax line could've again traded for either and exchanged them for other players with multiple yrs to get cap reduction earlier, just as Washington utilized their contracts for. Now maybe we wouldn't want to replace Paul with Jordan Pooles' contract, Just some alternative replacement trade options we likely discussed back then were Fred Van Vleet, Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward, Kyle Lowry, John Collins, Rozier, Brogdon, Mike Conley, Spencer Dinwiddie, Bojan Bogdanovich, Collin Sexton or DeAngelo Russell, etc.

Now I do understand that none of these names are really as good of talent as Beal, BUT ALSO, none of these names is making as much per annum as he is, and none of these names is carrying the most toxic contract in the league, none of these names has the dreaded immovable no-trade clause, none of these names has the injury history that Beal does, and none of these names would've cost as much as we gave up for Beal. This means that we could've utilized those assets for depth across the roster rather than burning 90+ % of it on a single player. My point in this is that it's just not accurate at all that we had no alternative options. And while those options clearly wouldn't have been nearly as exciting or splashy, Those options coupled with more retained assets and trading Ayton too would've clearly yielded far more potential options than we're left sitting with now.

Sure Beal is a clear superior talent to both Paul and Shamet by a large margin, But we're not discussing talent disparities in this trade, we're discussing contract vs contract and the leverage factors involved! And while you can argue that neither Paul's or Shamets' contracts are positive value, and you might even argue (as you have that they're negative value, their contracts are not even close to how negative Beals' contract is viewed at his albatross salary and an immovable no-trade clause. And then when you actually add in the other severe implied risks involved in acquiring him around his extensive injury history, cap-killing salary, and no-trade clause making his contract widely perceived as the absolute worst in the entire league, even aside from his being 30 already, His talent doesn't really offset those factors much and the value gap closes rather quickly. Now this is not to say that I don't like him as a player and talent and that I'm not happy to have him here, only that I'm not pleased with losing that trade by clear virtue of giving up a CUMULATIVE TOTAL in assets that under all of the conditions I've repeatedly shared, made that sum total unnecessary even if only by a small margin.

Because whether you can agree or disagree on the value of the assets exchanged in the trade, those assets are still viable currency that could've been applied elsewhere for the purpose of more legitimate depth! And a team in our very restrictive situation and with severely limited remaining options, all assets great or small are factors to remaining viably competitive against the numerous other franchises with better front offices that hadn't chosen to mortgage their future on a very limited window and exorbitant top heavy team with no legit depth.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,883

Post#1263 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:24 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
My argument was not that he's at all a bad player, and I actually like that Beal showed some spine and acted like a leader at times. My issue was/is that we simply gave up more value than was truly necessary considering that we clearly held all the leverage for numerous reasons. Also, the fact that I can see value in 2nd round picks even when others aren't able too has nothing to do with my discontent over the value exchange in this trade. Cumulatively, Helping the Wiz get off of Beals' money and helping them begin the long overdue rebuild was the centerpiece value for them. On top of that, the ceiling for inclusionary pick sweeteners should've clearly been capped at no more than two picks.

Again, the fact that I can value 2nds is irrelevant to my displeasure in this trade outcome simply because it's no mystery that our front office wouldn't have actually used it to draft anyone anyways. BUT had we not given up so much cumulative asset value in the exchange, then we'd obviously have had a few more options beyond just O'neale as our big climactic signing post big three. I'm fine with having Beal, I'm just not fine with hemorrhaging assets in trades just to push a deal through more quickly. I've continually said it's just not smart to deal from a position weakness wherein we constantly have to overpay for desired players leaving ourselves in a worse situation than before we went into the trade. Getting big names are great, but the total cost surrendered can sometimes have greater total impact than the player acquired. We're currently experiencing this very outcome.

People can try to make my issue about this trade into anything they like, but I've clearly explained now multiple times that it wasn't about Beal as a player, but much rather the measure of surrendered value in correlation to the leverage that we did have and did not utilize to put us in a better situation with at least some options going forward.The top franchises and legitimate championship teams don't throw away value carelessly. They maximize every available resource as best they can to become the strongest version of themselves. We on the other hand do the opposite. We constantly shortchange ourselves by bidding against ourselves, not utilizing all pathways available to us for sustainability. Negotiate from a point of weakness giving up more value than is truly necessary if we had only not been impatient to rush and get things done quickly regardless of context.

We did the same thing in the KD trade too, being so eager to throw a superteam together that we gave up too much depth and assets when KD had all the leverage and made it clear he only wanted to come here! Paul's value and Shamets' value was contextually irrelevant to this trade because the Wizards ownership's primary goal was to move Beal post haste in order to get started with their rebuild. Beals' contract was/is viewed as immovable and the most toxic contract in the entire league. And as such he really had no other bidders! In that context, getting off his salary/ toxic contract w/ no-trade clause for two much more movable contracts and the ability to finally begin their rebuild is equitable value in of itself. the number of picks swaps AND 2nds on top of those swaps cumulatively exceeded fair and equitable value. So regardless of Beals' talent, we bailed them out and helped facilitate their core interests and then gave them unnecessary additional value on top of it just for the privilege.

That's contextually losing a trade when you surrender excess value with no other bidders and while holding complete leverage. We'll never be a true contender franchise if we keep losing trades. That's my issue with the Beal trade. :D

The reason we got such a great deal IS that we held all the leverage. I thought we were stuck with Paul who added very little, if not negative play on the court because his shooting was bad and his midrange game was gone as well as his defense. His intangible leadership was hard to replace but his contract was just as bad given what he was unable to provide. And we all know what people thought about Shamet.

Now you could argue we held the leverage with KD too who ALSO only wanted us. Now they could have traded him elsewhere but he may have asked out there, etc, so it was unlikely another team would offer much. What we gave up for KD dwarfs what we gave up for Beal in a big way, and KD's intangibles are negative, with zero leadership, the opposite, etc. I really don't understand how anyone could think we gave up too much when we gave up two negative contracts for FAR worse players than Beal. Seconds very RARELY work out and keep roster spots for long, and very rarely make the rotation, despite your affinity for them.

Also, as people constantly forget, we couldn't have used that money for other players if/when CP3/Shamet expired due to Book's supermax kicking in, keeping us over the cap.

Had we gone into the season with CP3 and Shamet and heard we had a chance to get Beal for them and 2nds, people would be bashing Ish and Jones nonstop.

Just because we can both agree that we had all the leverage, doesn't excuse overpaying when we didn't have to. I get that our front office doesn't value picks IN ANY RANGE but again, those picks whether 2nds or trade swaps are still cost-controlled currency that could've returned greater depth for us! And those pick swaps do matter (count) as cumulative lost value because WE DON'T HAVE CONTROL OVER THEM and can't really apply them to trades (outside of maybe last-minute draft night deals) If we end up keeping that pick as the worst of three! But even then, what kind of value should we expect from that scenario?

I'll repeat too "it's not about the 2nds" for me in the sense that I'd actually believe we would use them because I know that this front office won't actually do anything with the draft! It's an issue for me (whether you think I'm being unreasonably greedy or not) that we deal from a position of strength and win trades because that's what the top franchises that are actual contenders do. But we just continually give away important assets that otherwise (had we negotiated better/ stronger) could've been applied to actual legitimate depth pieces and we might have experienced better outcome than what we ended with! This is important because of our specific very limited situation post-trade.

And you keep using the Paul and Shamet contracts as being negative value contracts when Bothn had only one year remaining on their deals as the following year for either in 24-25 was NON GUARANTEED!! Now we saw how quickly Washington was able to flip Pauls' contract, But they just as easily could've sat them out for the season (as they were straight tanking) and then had upwards of $40 million cap reduction the following summer If they chose too. Again, back then (during that offseason, many of us discussed potential alternative trades Were they really negative and not just neutral considering any other potential teams over the cap or tax line could've again traded for either and exchanged them for other players with multiple yrs to get cap reduction earlier, just as Washington utilized their contracts for. Now maybe we wouldn't want to replace Paul with Jordan Pooles' contract, Just some alternative replacement trade options we likely discussed back then were Fred Van Vleet, Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward, Kyle Lowry, John Collins, Rozier, Brogdon, Mike Conley, Spencer Dinwiddie, Bojan Bogdanovich, Collin Sexton or DeAngelo Russell, etc.

Now I do understand that none of these names are really as good of talent as Beal, BUT ALSO, none of these names is making as much per annum as he is, and none of these names is carrying the most toxic contract in the league, none of these names has the dreaded immovable no-trade clause, none of these names has the injury history that Beal does, and none of these names would've cost as much as we gave up for Beal. This means that we could've utilized those assets for depth across the roster rather than burning 90+ % of it on a single player. My point in this is that it's just not accurate at all that we had no alternative options. And while those options clearly wouldn't have been nearly as exciting or splashy, Those options coupled with more retained assets and trading Ayton too would've clearly yielded far more potential options than we're left sitting with now.

Sure Beal is a clear superior talent to both Paul and Shamet by a large margin, But we're not discussing talent disparities in this trade, we're discussing contract vs contract and the leverage factors involved! And while you can argue that neither Paul's or Shamets' contracts are positive value, and you might even argue (as you have that they're negative value, their contracts are not even close to how negative Beals' contract is viewed at his albatross salary and an immovable no-trade clause. And then when you actually add in the other severe implied risks involved in acquiring him around his extensive injury history, cap-killing salary, and no-trade clause making his contract widely perceived as the absolute worst in the entire league, even aside from his being 30 already, His talent doesn't really offset those factors much and the value gap closes rather quickly. Now this is not to say that I don't like him as a player and talent and that I'm not happy to have him here, only that I'm not pleased with losing that trade by clear virtue of giving up a CUMULATIVE TOTAL in assets that under all of the conditions I've repeatedly shared, made that sum total unnecessary even if only by a small margin.

Because whether you can agree or disagree on the value of the assets exchanged in the trade, those assets are still viable currency that could've been applied elsewhere for the purpose of more legitimate depth! And a team in our very restrictive situation and with severely limited remaining options, all assets great or small are factors to remaining viably competitive against the numerous other franchises with better front offices that hadn't chosen to mortgage their future on a very limited window and exorbitant top heavy team with no legit depth.

When was the last time a team gave up a ton to get an expiring contract and get rid of a big one? Like, more than Beal? Beal IS the big contract but he's also a recent scoring leader, all NBA, etc.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1264 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 23, 2024 12:24 am

bwgood77 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:Bottom line - from one bad contract of old, injury prone player to another.

Beal is 30, CP3 is 39. That's quite a difference. Beal had one bad injury a couple years ago, which kept him out half that season and part of another, then he sat out due to tanking down the stretch the 2nd year limiting his # of games. His #s are still elite and only like 5 guards in the NBA match them.

Sure that's true! But the contract is a huge factor to consider in terms of the value exchange in that Paul had only maybe 1 season left that was actually guaranteed when we traded him to Washington. The same with Shamet as neither were guaranteed for 24-25. And Paul was flipped quite quickly too. Beal for how great he is is viewed as having the worst, most toxic contrtact in the entire league and will cost upwards of 50, 53, and 57 million over the next three seasons. Now he'a really good talent for sure! But 50 million good? 53 million good? 57 million good? that's a really tough pill to swallow for a guy who's a great talent but only plays around half the season on avrage for that salary and with a no trade clause that makes his contract immovable. And this becomes an even bigger consideration given the new incredibly restrictive and punitive nature of the new CBA too.

So of course he has significantly more talent than Paul or Shamet or even both combined. But in terms of value, when you consider everything and how the factors correlate under the new CBA, is the value disparity really that significant? :dontknow:
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,859

Post#1265 » by lilfishi22 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:39 am

sunsbum wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter
marketing for these g league teams are so bad. I know theres not a lot of interest in them but hear me out. How cool are like 90% of the minor league baseball jerseys and logos? If they put just a speck of effort into branding these teams they would sell a ton of merch. I don't really watch any baseball besides the dbacks here and there but I've probably had 30 different minor league baseball hats over the years. The road runners hockey team is another great example.

Yeah logo is at best inoffensive/uninspiring....but rather have a GL team than not so I'll let it slide
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,584

Post#1266 » by Stix » Thu May 23, 2024 12:51 am

TeamTragic wrote:
Stix wrote:OKAY, IM SICK OF THE BEAL TRADE DEFENDERS...

All I have to do is point out Dallas. Made the same type of risky move that we did. (KD/Kyrie trade)

The difference was that they stood pat on having Kyrie/Luka duo, and not taking another huge risk in obtaining a third "star" (Beal)

They tweaked their roster around Kyrie/Luka and were able to make banger trades at the dealine for Washington/Gafford to shore up their front court weakness and make them true contenders.

Our Front-Office excuse was lack of chemistry and not enough time to gel. But Dallas had the same type of situation but made the right moves and is now 8 wins away from a chip.

If we had a competent coach like Kidd (not Vogel), and a front office GM/Owner (not Jones/Ishbia) that don't make horrendous trades like obtaining Brad Beal (i don't care we gave up scraps for him. He is the worst contract in the NBA, and not good. We can't trade this guy and he is always 1 game away from a season ending injury. THIS IS BAD. NO ONE WANTS HIM AND HE SUCKS.)

Now Dallas are in WCF and and we are barely getting over the sunburns from Cancun.

What the hell is this word soup? The fact is either you keep CP3/Shamet or you get Beal/Goodwin.

This is not that complicated. We tried to get Kyrie for a similar package but Nets took the Mavs offer instead.

To summarize: Beal sucks, always has. It was a bad trade, always was.

Why I'm Mad: Dallas did better in a similar situation trading for stars.

In hindsight: I'd rather have an expiring non-guaranteed CP3, and Shamet filler contracts because they actually have trade value (albeit very little) but better value than Beal (zero).
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,258

Post#1267 » by garrick » Thu May 23, 2024 1:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

When was the last time a team gave up a ton to get an expiring contract and get rid of a big one? Like, more than Beal? Beal IS the big contract but he's also a recent scoring leader, all NBA, etc.

Value wise I think yes we were not going to get a better immediate deal than trading CP3 for Beal but that move immediately handicapped any future moves we could have made to sign a MLE level player down the line.

On paper this looks great but as the playoffs showed we would have been better off going for a big that could contribute and we didn't need another shooting guard for offense. We should have prioritized rebounding and defense not more offense.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,584

Post#1268 » by Stix » Thu May 23, 2024 3:09 am

Edit: *Dallas 7 wins away from chip.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1269 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 23, 2024 3:39 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

When was the last time any player was given a contract for $50+ million salary AND also had a "no-trade clause" that would require a team to adhere to those conditions you mentioned above just to be able to move it? It doesn't happen because no teams hand out contracts like Beals' anymore like not anywhere. It was a one-off type of horrible decision that teams just won't do nowadays. You're right that normally max contract players never change teams, it just doesn't happen because teams don't like giving up star players/talent. I get that's where you're trying to steer me with this question. But then also ask yourself with Beal being so great and all the things that you said above, why he doesn't have ANY OTHER BIDDERS aside from us alone! Usually, whenever a top-end talent is made available, you have multiple suitors, regardless of max salary. But again, The only team pursuing him with his contract was us and only us! Why do you suppose that is man?

I'll go ahead and answer this for you. Because despite being a great offensive talent?

- His extensive injury history is a real concern, as is his well-documented durability issues.
- Regardless of him being a great scorer, He's clearly significantly overpaid at $50 million. Especially for a player with a long history of only playing around half the season.
- Even after all his time as the face of Washington's franchise, His talent never amounted to any significant success/postseason success.
- His contract only gets worse as it increases substantially over the next couple of seasons. And at that amount, his contract makes it very, very difficult to make any substantial roster moves with him on the books.
- His dreaded "toxic" no-trade clause that makes trading him practically impossible. So any team that might consider acquiring him, would also be stuck with him and his albatross salary at maybe 40-something games a season with no cap flexibility unless he wants out himself and will agree to be traded!

You see, despite Beal clearly being a great talent, it's these same above-listed concerns that made him available and Washington desperate to move him so they can start their rebuild because they paid him 50 million to really get nowhere as a focal point for their team. And it's those same listed concerns/ implied risks (by the team acquiring him that offsets that talent-related value significantly enough to where in this situation and under those conditions, his ceiling value should'v still been a discount capped at no more than maybe two firsts beyond the salary swap! No other team was stepping up to trade for him, we bailed out Washington by taking his contract. Otherwise, he'd still be sitting there not really contending, and Washington would still not be able to finally pursue their much-desired rebuild that the ownership AND the entire fanbase were very invested in. Beal wanted to come to Phoenix for a chance to compete, he had the no-trade clause and could dictate exactly where he wanted to go.

And our ownership was desperate to sign a 3rd big splashy name! we had all the leverage because Washington wanted to move Beal equally as badly as our ownership wanted him, and Beal himself wanted to come here. So again, I'll ask you, where is the necessity to give up nearly every asset we had left come from? And you can keep arguing about his high-end talent! I'll acknowledge how good he is too. BUT......................................................
That same great scoring is easily legitimately offset by all of the serious concerns that come along with him, and then on top of that, his horrific contract conditions affect whichever team trades for him. Do you ever wonder why the saying "The best ability is availability"?? If our team is eating over 50 million just to have Beal sit in street clothes for nearly half the season, are we even getting decent value from this trade? Because If he's not playing, he's not impacting the game for what he's being paid. In this context, regardless of him being a really good talent, we overpaid. And this trade was a win! ........................................Mostly for Washington. :dontknow:
NJBuzz12
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#1270 » by NJBuzz12 » Thu May 23, 2024 3:39 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:Goodbye guys, it’s been fun while it lasted. But I have nobody in my life and it’s finally time to leave earth. It’s been a pleasure getting to know you all over the last decade and I’ll cherish every little moment. My life is in gods hands now as the clock is ticking away. I’ll likely miss watching Suns games and maybe just maybe they’ll win a title one year, but it’ll happen without me watching it. Well, I have nothing else to say, again it’s been a privilege making GT’s and getting to know everyone here. Goodbye.

Umm did someone on this board hint at suicide and everyone but 3 people ignored him to argue the value of Bradley Beal? That is absolutely wild stuff.

Man, if you read this I hope you reconsider and listen when I say how special you are and how valuable you are. Please reach out to me through DM so we can talk.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1271 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 23, 2024 3:49 am

garrick wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:

Value wise I think yes we were not going to get a better immediate deal than trading CP3 for Beal but that move immediately handicapped any future moves we could have made to sign a MLE level player down the line.

On paper this looks great but as the playoffs showed we would have been better off going for a big that could contribute and we didn't need another shooting guard for offense. We should have prioritized rebounding and defense not more offense.

Then knowing this outcome, and the factors I've listed ad nauseum, you either negotiate for better value BECAUSE OF THE IMPLIED RISKS, etc or you simply look elsewhere. I mean this really isn't as difficult as people are making it! Look how quickly GS scooped up Paul to get off of Pooles' contract. Are people really trying to tell me there were no other tax teams or potentially capped-out teams that could've similarly used Paul? Were there no other teams looking to get off long-term salaries so they could begin their rebuilds? Without Beal (when he plays) we wouldn't be as good offensively, BUT by the same measure, we wouldn't have been over the 2nd apron either, and could have made other depth moves to become more sustainable across the roster. We could've moved Ayton to a team for a cheaper option and maybe some draft assets and young players and then flipped those for similar packages to what Indy, New York and Dallas gave up for their players who are currently still helping them compete in the playoffs right now.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1272 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 23, 2024 4:02 am

garrick wrote:Value wise I think yes we were not going to get a better immediate deal than trading CP3 for Beal but that move immediately handicapped any future moves we could have made to sign a MLE level player down the line.

We were already handicapped. Who do you really think we would have gotten for the MLE? So ultimately, keeping CP3 and Shamet this year? Then letting them expire and use the MLE this summer?

If we kept CP3 and Shamet this year we would have certainly been a lot worse. If we traded them for something else (which would have been hard to do since they had negative value) we would have had to take salary back, and not likely get a very useful player. I doubt a team would have traded an expiring for CP3 and Shamet so we likely still have another big contract (like Poole or Simmons or whatever) and can't utilize the MLE anyway.

Once we made the KD trade we were screwed. That was 1 million x worse than the Beal trade, which was amazing we even did...I thought we would possibly cut CP3 and eat the $15 million last summer. That would leave Shamet to trade and maybe the MLE which likely doesn't get you much.

I don't disagree that we need a better big, but it's not like there are options out there. Nurkic isn't the right C for this team for the playoffs...but we were not likely finding a better C with him...unless it was a different trade utililizing Ayton. But we also got Allen.

No matter what we did we probably were not going to be a serious contender...but as I've mentioned before I would have kept our core and picks and retooled...we would have had lots of options and picks and wouldn't have to sacrifice our future for an old KD that will likely break down sooner than later.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,353

Post#1273 » by Frank Lee » Thu May 23, 2024 4:15 am

My gawd… a barrage of word bombs plus some drama. Sheesh

Our Front Orfice track record over the past 5-6 yrs has lead us into this domino-ing despair… slowly painting our way into this cap hell corner. Cant ignore the draft whiffs and impulsive pick tossings either.

But I’ll draw the line … that CP player/vet friendly extension (Jones’ specialty) began the good money
chasing bad slide. He had that 15 mill guarantee which squashed any ‘expiring’ deal chance. Then we were saddled with a broke down version CP, who had little to any trade value except for an awful ticket into perpetual handcuffville. Guess we’ll ride this out till the inevitable blow up.

For the life of me, I don’t understand why these old guys get pay raises when you know their production is going south. CP should’ve had a two year deal with a third year option and if he didn’t like it, pack your bags. Now, just wait till July when The Grim Sleeper vies for his final chunk.
What ? Me Worry ?
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,353

Post#1274 » by Frank Lee » Thu May 23, 2024 4:23 am

Once we made the KD trade we were screwed.

Nutshelled even more. Fn fratboy front officing.
What ? Me Worry ?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1275 » by bwgood77 » Thu May 23, 2024 4:23 am

Stix wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Beal is 30, CP3 is 39. That's quite a difference. Beal had one bad injury a could years ago, which kept him out half that season and part of another, then he sat out due to tanking down the stretch the 2nd year limiting his # of games. His #s are still elite and only like 5 guards in the NBA match them.

Looked exactly as injury-prone as CP3 and played 5 games less in RS while being 8 years younger. Still on the wrong side of 30 with a terrible contract. Not a great fit on this team with Booker as they don't complement each other. Big 3 was Big1.5 in the playoffs, so I wouldn't focus on individual regular season numbers. Once KD is off the team Suns become Wizards of the west.

We're already there even with KD on the roster. First round sweep sounds like Wizards of the west to me. Thinking in this modern NBA that Brad Beal is worth his contract is straight lunacy. :crazy:

Spoiler:
But I guess i'm just a hater... :lol: :roll: 8-)

I don't think he's worth his contract. But I don't think Book or KD are either.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1276 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 23, 2024 4:57 am

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#1277 » by Ghost of Kleine » Thu May 23, 2024 4:58 am

garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,258

Post#1278 » by garrick » Thu May 23, 2024 6:50 am

bwgood77 wrote:
garrick wrote:Value wise I think yes we were not going to get a better immediate deal than trading CP3 for Beal but that move immediately handicapped any future moves we could have made to sign a MLE level player down the line.

We were already handicapped. Who do you really think we would have gotten for the MLE? So ultimately, keeping CP3 and Shamet this year? Then letting them expire and use the MLE this summer?

If we kept CP3 and Shamet this year we would have certainly been a lot worse. If we traded them for something else (which would have been hard to do since they had negative value) we would have had to take salary back, and not likely get a very useful player. I doubt a team would have traded an expiring for CP3 and Shamet so we likely still have another big contract (like Poole or Simmons or whatever) and can't utilize the MLE anyway.

Once we made the KD trade we were screwed. That was 1 million x worse than the Beal trade, which was amazing we even did...I thought we would possibly cut CP3 and eat the $15 million last summer. That would leave Shamet to trade and maybe the MLE which likely doesn't get you much.

I don't disagree that we need a better big, but it's not like there are options out there. Nurkic isn't the right C for this team for the playoffs...but we were not likely finding a better C with him...unless it was a different trade utililizing Ayton. But we also got Allen.

No matter what we did we probably were not going to be a serious contender...but as I've mentioned before I would have kept our core and picks and retooled...we would have had lots of options and picks and wouldn't have to sacrifice our future for an old KD that will likely break down sooner than later.

I don't know if Washington would have agreed but we could have traded Shamet + the #22 pick for Gafford?

Or maybe Little plus one of our minimum signings like KBD or Yuta plus the #22 pick for Gafford? I'm of the opinion that a MLE type player would have been more impactful us given how poorly Beal performed against the Wolves.

He was just a net negative and a non factor and for 50 million that is just something I cannot stomach.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,061

Post#1279 » by Saberestar » Thu May 23, 2024 6:53 am

garrick wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I don't know if Washington would have agreed but we could have traded Shamet + the #22 pick for Gafford?

Or maybe Little plus one of our minimum signings like KBD or Yuta plus the #22 pick for Gafford? I'm of the opinion that a MLE type player would have been more impactful us given how poorly Beal performed against the Wolves.

He was just a net negative and a non factor and for 50 million that is just something I cannot stomach.

We couldn't trade #22 at the past deadline or past offseason.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,264

Post#1280 » by sunsbg » Thu May 23, 2024 9:45 am

Suns and Lakers only teams with two players in All NBA teams selection. Both eliminated in first round in convincing manner.

Return to Phoenix Suns