Senior
And1: 370

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1421 » by GoodBehavior » Fri Mar 8, 2019 2:28 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

No wonder the three point shot is a thing. When the best players in the league are getting just over 1 ppp from a post-up, it compares to shooting 33% from the three. The leagues best post up players have the same impact as a poor to mediocre three point shooter.

True! However, there's a lot less variance involved in posting up. If you have a nice lead, it's probably best to slow down the pace through post-ups rather than hoisting up threes.

Really encouraging stat. A 1.03 ppp postup for a rookie center bodes well for the future. If he can develop and get that stat to 1.1+ ppp, that's elite offense. ayton also has a 1.22 ppp as a roll man.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,292

Post#1422 » by Jstock12 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 3:56 pm

GoodBehavior wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
No wonder the three point shot is a thing. When the best players in the league are getting just over 1 ppp from a post-up, it compares to shooting 33% from the three. The leagues best post up players have the same impact as a poor to mediocre three point shooter.

True! However, there's a lot less variance involved in posting up. If you have a nice lead, it's probably best to slow down the pace through post-ups rather than hoisting up threes.

Really encouraging stat. A 1.03 ppp postup for a rookie center bodes well for the future. If he can develop and get that stat to 1.1+ ppp, that's elite offense. ayton also has a 1.22 ppp as a roll man.

I think another thing in favor of post-ups is better second chance opportunities and more time to get back on defense in case of a miss. Missed threes on the other hand, translate into some very long rebounds and transition opportunities for the opposing team.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,717

Post#1423 » by bwgood77 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 4:39 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:
darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

Plus, as a team, we are the only one who shoots below 33%, so regardless, it's better if we post up given the players we have, especially with TJ Warren out.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#1424 » by MathiasPW » Fri Mar 8, 2019 4:48 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:

Plus, as a team, we are the only one who shoots below 33%, so regardless, it's better if we post up given the players we have, especially with TJ Warren out.
And, adding to that, better post shots generate better perimeter shots, as he draws defenders into the paint.
bhawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 713

Post#1425 » by bhawk » Fri Mar 8, 2019 4:52 pm

There is a lot to like about Ayton so far, and, for some of us, a lot to criticize. His lack of effort or inability to play competent defense has been really hard to watch through the first half of the season. Yes, he has improved lately - which is awesome and has given us all hope!

What has bothered me more, however, has been his missing killer instinct. It does not take a rocket scientist to look / watch Ayton and come to the conclusion that he COULD dominate the NBA ala Robinson, Hakeem, Duncan, A. Davis, etc.

But he doesn't. At least not yet... and that is the point. Ayton WILL BE the BEST player from this draft.

We just need to be patient.

It was short sighted to think that Ayton could jump into the NBA and immediately dominate his position. I'll admit that's kind of what I expected of the 1st pick of the 2018 draft... and to see Luka do so well was salt in the wound. I was wrong. Ayton will be fine and he will be dominant.

I mean, he is so freakin' young and dare I say even a little immature / insecure in the footage I have seen. He is growing up right before our eyes like many of the NBA greats did. It is going to take time for Ayton to find himself, and to find his place among the greats. Not many players come into the NBA and dominate from Day 1. The only one that comes to mind was Shaq.

It simply takes time to get a feel for the game and to understand what you can and cannot do physically against other MEN who have much, much more experience. Every game Ayton is growing and learning. It may not always be visible and there will be peaks and valleys in his improvement, but there is no doubt in my mind that he gets there. He may not have that immediate killer instinct and want to kill people like Shaq, but he will figure it out. I see a young player in Ayton who will be dominant in his own way, and in his own time.

I think Ayton makes a BIG leap next season.

Another observation is the early chemistry between Ayton and Oubre. These guys genuinely like playing together, and it looks like they may even like hanging out off the court from the recent Oubre video with Ayton in the background. It is great to see, and I say lock in Oubre as one of Ayton's long term partners in basketball.

The future is Suns bright. Now if we could only do something about that silly owner of ours...
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#1426 » by LV-Suns » Sat Mar 9, 2019 8:50 pm

His games against Milwaukee and LA gives me hope that we still made the right decision in the long run. An engaged Ayton is a lot of fun.
I Dont wanna be here
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,988

Post#1427 » by Saberestar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:51 pm

SwingMan1938
Junior
And1: 246

Post#1428 » by SwingMan1938 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Saberestar wrote:

The moment they used Enes Kanter as a positive defensive example is when this little rant lost any cred whatsoever.....
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,373

Post#1429 » by AtheJ415 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:03 pm

SwingMan1938 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:

The moment they used Enes Kanter as a positive defensive example is when this little rant lost any cred whatsoever.....

Also the supposed claim that Bagley had surpassed Ayton. That's laughable.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,779

Post#1430 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:36 pm

Bagley has surprised me but I don't think he's better than Ayton. Only player that is clearly better than Ayton right now is Luka. Young arguably could be in the conversation for #2
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SwingMan1938
Junior

Post#1431 » by SwingMan1938 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:28 am

Well, lookie what we have here.

Only after they can't hype their golden boy (Mavericks have lost 10 of their last 11) does the NBA finally get around to putting a video package together for Deandre Ayton:

Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,312

Post#1432 » by Frank Lee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:33 pm

Even the league couldn't sustain an All LUKA All the Time campaign. They clearly (and probably deservedly) pedestal-ed him and now are trying to give away the silver and bronze. It might have been an early crown. Right now, Its a big yawner for NBA PR people, to have the top three rooks on the bottom three teams. There will be no post season fawning.
What ? Me Worry ?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1433 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:14 pm

I think they are trying to give a little more love to Ayton/Young just to make the ROY race a little more interesting since it was (still is imo) clear that Luka was running away with it.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1434 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:16 pm

SwingMan1938 wrote:Well, lookie what we have here.

Only after they can't hype their golden boy (Mavericks have lost 10 of their last 11) does the NBA finally get around to putting a video package together for Deandre Ayton:

Strong highlight but let's not forget that our golden boy also lost 17 in a row. Now that we've kind of turned it around a little bit (let's see how sustainable it will be) and Ayton has being playing better, it's a understandable why now is a good time to show Ayton off and make the ROY race more interesting

Say what you will about Luka and the Mavs but they were a legitimately fun and competitive team prior to the trade. The Suns on the other hand, have owned a 6, 7, 10 and 17 game losing streak this season. The Mavs were at least in the playoff race and relevant.
SwingMan1938
Junior

Post#1435 » by SwingMan1938 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:48 am

lilfishi22 wrote:

Strong highlight but let's not forget that our golden boy also lost 17 in a row. Now that we've kind of turned it around a little bit (let's see how sustainable it will be) and Ayton has being playing better, it's a understandable why now is a good time to show Ayton off and make the ROY race more interesting

Say what you will about Luka and the Mavs but they were a legitimately fun and competitive team prior to the trade. The Suns on the other hand, have owned a 6, 7, 10 and 17 game losing streak this season. The Mavs were at least in the playoff race and relevant.

What you and others here seem to keep missing is I've said repeatedly that I don't have anything against Doncic - my only concern with him was that he might become gassed halfway through every season due to national team commitments, a la Dragic.

No - my problem is with the Doncic fanboys coming at everyone here with rhetoric like he's "prime Kobe" while "Ayton is a useless turd". And, when I call them out for the s#!t, I get snide, snark crap like "obsessing on him a bit, are we?" That's why you saw me reply in kind in the Mikal bridges thread

My commentary about the video was directed towards the NBA - they pumped Doncic up with so much grease, he'll be s#!tting Vaseline for a year and now they've gone completely silent despite his personal numbers getting more gaudy since the Porzingis trade.....
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1436 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:18 am

SwingMan1938 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

What you and others here seem to keep missing is I've said repeatedly that I don't have anything against Doncic - my only concern with him was that he might become gassed halfway through every season due to national team commitments, a la Dragic.

No - my problem is with the Doncic fanboys coming at everyone here with rhetoric like he's "prime Kobe" while "Ayton is a useless turd". And, when I call them out for the s#!t, I get snide, snark crap like "obsessing on him a bit, are we?" That's why you saw me reply in kind in the Mikal bridges thread

My commentary about the video was directed towards the NBA - they pumped Doncic up with so much grease, he'll be s#!tting Vaseline for a year and now they've gone completely silent despite his personal numbers getting more gaudy since the Porzingis trade.....

And what you keep missing is that the vast majority fans who criticize Ayton's effort, play and impact are actually pro-Ayton not Luka fanboys. Likewise you can be a fan of Luka, Young, JJJr or any other player in the league without being anti-Ayton

The NBA have gone silent because the Mavs aren't relevant anymore. They are no longer realistically in the playoff race and some have argued that they are tanking. The NBA isn't about being 'fair' media cover, they are about getting the people the content they want to see. If it's about fair then Tony Snell would have as many highlight reels as Steph Curry.
SwingMan1938
Junior

Post#1437 » by SwingMan1938 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:18 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
SwingMan1938 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Strong highlight but let's not forget that our golden boy also lost 17 in a row. Now that we've kind of turned it around a little bit (let's see how sustainable it will be) and Ayton has being playing better, it's a understandable why now is a good time to show Ayton off and make the ROY race more interesting

And what you keep missing is that the vast majority fans who criticize Ayton's effort, play and impact are actually pro-Ayton not Luka fanboys. Likewise you can be a fan of Luka, Young, JJJr or any other player in the league without being anti-Ayton

The NBA have gone silent because the Mavs aren't relevant anymore. They are no longer realistically in the playoff race and some have argued that they are tanking. The NBA isn't about being 'fair' media cover, they are about getting the people the content they want to see. If it's about fair then Tony Snell would have as many highlight reels as Steph Curry.

You might have something there - if bigfoot wasn't a Luka Doncic fanboy. :lol:

Point taken, sure - but don't act like the dude isn't sucking Doncic dry in the meantime.....
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1438 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:58 am

SwingMan1938 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
SwingMan1938 wrote:

Point taken, sure - but don't act like the dude isn't sucking Doncic dry in the meantime.....

That's their prerogative. Just like it is yours to do the same with any other player including Ayton
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,717

Post#1439 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:14 pm

SwingMan1938 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
SwingMan1938 wrote:

Time to cut this baiting and trolling crap out that is nonstop childish posting if you want to stick around. You are adding zilch to the forum and it's clear very few enjoy reading your posts.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,939

Post#1440 » by Fo-Real » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:39 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
SwingMan1938 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:And what you keep missing is that the vast majority fans who criticize Ayton's effort, play and impact are actually pro-Ayton not Luka fanboys. Likewise you can be a fan of Luka, Young, JJJr or any other player in the league without being anti-Ayton

Time to cut this baiting and trolling crap out that is nonstop childish posting if you want to stick around. You are adding zilch to the forum and it's clear no one enjoys reading your posts.

You dont speak for everyone, I like him. Dont agree with every aspect that he argues but to say to a man NO ONE LIKES YOU is a bit anger driven, just my two cents. No need to call each other fanboys, even though I have been loudly on record saying I was sick and tired of hearing about Doncic so much on this board and the whining about our actual pick. Some go too far with the Doncic hate, I dont hate him. I love what he is doing, I hate crying about what he is doing as opposed to Ayton IN THE AYTON THREAD!!!

Return to Phoenix Suns