Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 22,250

Re: Deandre Ayton news and discussion 

Post#1901 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:06 pm

TOO wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
sunskerr wrote:
But were they actually historic? I mean they were sick ass numbers no doubt. But the dude that beat us averaged 30/13/5 lol. Maybe that was more historic.

First player since Tim Duncan to put up at least 15/15 in his Finals debut.

And

Read on Twitter

Doesn't look as impressive as 30/13 but historic nonetheless

Having a couple of decent games doesn't mean he was historic. It's not like he was Olajuwon out there, c'mon now.

There's also this

At age 22, Deandre Ayton is the first player in NBA history to average 15/10 on 65% in a postseason run. Ayton also had the most efficient postseason in NBA history.
(Minimum 600 minutes or 150 fga)

Deandre Ayton averaged 15.8/11.8/1.1/0.8/1.1 on 65.8% shooting. This makes Ayton the first player in NBA playoff history to average 15/10 on 65+% shooting, minimum 300 minutes. (Deandre Jordan, David Robinson, and Buck Williams each did it in first round losses)

Ayton also had the most efficient postseason in NBA history with a minimum of 150 fga or 600 min. The next closest came from James Worthy at 62.2% shooting. Additionally, Ayton had the 4th highest true shooting percentage for a single postseason run, behind Mitchell (2020), KD (2017), and Kawhi (21). The next highest big man is Kevin McHale at #6 for his 1988 run.

Ayton is also now the 3rd all time playoff leader in field goal percentage, shooting 65.8%. Gobert (66.5%) and Deandre Jordan (66.2%) both edge Ayton out, but Gobert is averaging 13.6 ppg while Jordan only averaged 9.8, compared to Ayton’s 15.8 ppg.

Shooting 65.8% on 15.8 ppg at age 22 is absurd. The only centers in NBA history to average more points in a single postseason before the age of 23 (min 5 games, @Ed Macauley and Ilgauska) are Kareem, Bob McAdoo, Amare Stoudemire, Hakeem, Shaq, Moses Malone, Alvan Adams, Mitch Kupchak, and Brad Daugherty. Out of those 9 players, 3 averaged less rebounds, none averaged above 60% shooting, and 6 averaged over 10% lower fg% than Ayton.

Ayton had 8 games of 20+ points in this postseason. That means that in 22 playoff games, Ayton has:

• 3 more 20+ point playoff games than Gobert (43 games)

• 3 more 20+ point playoff games than DJ (57 games)

• 7 more 20+ point playoff games than Domantas Sabonis (13 games)

• 5 more 20+ point playoff games than Kristaps Porzingis (10 games)

• 2 more 20+ point playoff games than Vucevic (11 games)

• 1 less 20+ point playoff game than Bam Adebayo (28 games)

• 6 less 20+ point playoff games than Pascal Siakam (47 games; Siakam every 3.4 games, every Ayton every 2.8 games)

• 12 less 20+ point playoff games than Kevin Love (63 games; KLove every 3.2 games, Ayton every 2.8 games)

• 15 less 20+ point playoff games than Chris Bosh (89 games; Bosh every 3.9 games, Ayton every 2.8 games)

For reference to the minimums, 150 fga is good differentiator between role player and star/high level starter. For a reference, AI holds the record for single postseason fga at 661. Seth Curry, a non-star who lost in the second round, shot 149 fga. Paul George shot 152 3s this postseason.

DA was REALLY good in that playoff run.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,431

Post#1902 » by Frank Lee » Fri Sep 1, 2023 1:33 am

Yeah, he bumped his head on the ceiling there…but did he break the boxspring?
What ? Me Worry ?
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,858

Post#1903 » by sunsbum » Fri Sep 1, 2023 5:41 am

Spoiler:
Frank Lee wrote:Yeah, he bumped his head on the ceiling there…but did he break the boxspring?
Some say he fell through 3 stories and ended up in the water well below the basement.
I hate this team.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,441

Post#1904 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Sep 4, 2023 5:58 pm

Hello, Suns nation, Brooklyn fan here.

I'll thank you for Mikal, you can thank us for the title next summer. Here's an Ayton proposal that I think would help you get there, let me know your thoughts:

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7860362

BRK trades Dinwiddie/Finney-Smith/O'neale/27PHI1st/27PHX1st/29DAL1st for Lillard
Brooklyn pushes in the chips for a superstar, who has name-dropped us, and who fits our needs to a T. I've included a couple of FA signings, not necessary but I feel they would fill out the roster well.
Lillard, Bridges, Johnson, Simmons, Claxton
Smith, Thomas, Oubre, Wood, Sharpe

PHX trades Ayton for Nurkic/Finney-Smith/27PHX1st
Phoenix gets solid defensive roleplayers to surround their Big 3, and recoup one of their picks for future flexibility.
Booker, Beal, Finney-Smith, Durant, Nurkic
Gordon, Okogie, Lee, Watanabe, Eubanks

POR trades Lillard/Nurkic for Ayton/Dinwiddie/O'neale/27PHI1st/29DAL1st
Portland resets with a franchise bigman, picks and productive (read: flippable) veterans on expiring contracts.
Henderson, Simons, Thybulle, Grant, Ayton
Dinwiddie, Sharpe, O'neale, Little, Winslow
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,396

Post#1905 » by Saberestar » Mon Sep 4, 2023 7:25 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Hello, Suns nation, Brooklyn fan here.

I'll thank you for Mikal, you can thank us for the title next summer. Here's an Ayton proposal that I think would help you get there, let me know your thoughts:

BRK trades Dinwiddie/Finney-Smith/O'neale/27PHI1st/27PHX1st/29DAL1st for Lillard
Brooklyn pushes in the chips for a superstar, who has name-dropped us, and who fits our needs to a T. I've included a couple of FA signings, not necessary but I feel they would fill out the roster well.

Phoenix gets solid defensive roleplayers to surround their Big 3, and recoup one of their picks for future flexibility.

Portland resets with a franchise bigman, picks and productive (read: flippable) veterans on expiring contracts.

I don’t like it for the Suns, I wouldn't do it.

IMO Nurkic is overrated and a liability on defense.

Good player on offense but sadly he destroys every defensive set because of his lack of mobility and agility.

Finney-Smith is nice but we already have on the roster Bates-Diop who is a similar player.

The pick is not a real factor, the Suns are trying to win now.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,441

Post#1906 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Sep 4, 2023 10:41 pm

Thank you for the feedback
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1907 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Sep 4, 2023 11:35 pm

While I like DFS (quite a fair bit), I don't see this as being an upgrade for us. I'm not convinced our bench is any better and there's a chance our starting 5 is worse mainly because of Nurk. Nurk is also a potential injury concern given he's missed about 25-30 games the last two season after returning from injury. If we hadn't filled out our bench with solid vet min guys, I would love to have DFS as I think he's an excellent depth piece and a bonafide starter but the fact that I think we did pretty well in building a bench with only vet min money, I'd rather have DA's upside in this scenario.

Give my Mikal back and you could even have Beal :wink: :wink: :wink:
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,396

Post#1908 » by Saberestar » Thu Sep 7, 2023 10:51 am

Vogel talking about Ayton here:

“That tournament down in Argentina was one of the most exciting parts of my summer. Watching those guys compete for the Bahamas. Getting to learn each other and new teammates, but just seeing that outside of the NBA environment, both of them really showed me some things that got me excited.

Deandre had a great couple of weeks with them. I talked to (Bahamas) coach (Golden State Warriors assistant Chris DeMarco) regularly and (Ayton’s) work ethic and energy was really positive. He had some joy to his work down there and it showed up with his play.”

https://eu.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2023/09/06/phoenix-suns-coach-frank-vogel-2023-2024-nba-season/70767271007/
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1909 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 11:42 pm

Good on him. It's rare for players playing for their national team to not get anything positive out of it. Book getting that early exposure and being on the peripheries of Team USA since 2016 and ultimately playing for Team USA in the 2020/21 Olympics has done a lot for him imo
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,427

Post#1910 » by sunsbg » Fri Sep 8, 2023 6:01 am

Vogel still desperate to increase DA's trade value.

On a serious note, nice to have the team going into the season without any drama. The coach following a player over the summer, instead of not talking to him. Disgruntled player for losing starting spot, etc.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,088

Post#1911 » by oddity » Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:54 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Thank you for the feedback

Thank for coming into our forum with a trade proposal and not being disrespectful about it.
I'm a Suns fan but always got love for Brooklyn
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,257

Post#1912 » by DusterBuster » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:10 am

As a Blazer fan, I like this as well. Still think the Heat is where he goes tho.

With the (weird) Nurkic for Ayton chatter, I have to wonder if there’s some 4 way trade chatter happening where the principles of the deal are…

Lillard to Miami
Ayton to Indy
Turner and Heat pieces+picks to Portland
Nurkic and Heild to Phoenix

Pacers have had interest in Ayton for awhile. Heild is asking out plus Ayton is younger and fits longer term with Haliburton. Portland avoids a possible malcontent with Ayton who’ll give similar production. Suns get better depth overall, a step down in quality at C for a big boost to their outside shooting / 6th man.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1913 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:30 am

Hield is the guy I want. The perfect 6th man type, absolute gunner from range, he's in his prime still and on an expiring contract.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,281

Post#1914 » by bigfoot » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:11 pm

The only thing DominAyton about DA is keeping the board chatter somewhat alive this offseason.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,257

Post#1915 » by DusterBuster » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:37 am

Anyone here have any insider knowledge? Trying to figure if there’s actually any legs to this Nurkic + pieces for Ayton thing. Seems sus (just talk that went nowhere, dead now and getting to reports) to me
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,354

Post#1916 » by Crives » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:56 am

DusterBuster wrote:Anyone here have any insider knowledge? Trying to figure if there’s actually any legs to this Nurkic + pieces for Ayton thing. Seems sus (just talk that went nowhere, dead now and getting to reports) to me

It’s happening. Gambo was speaking directly for suns, to try and prempt their message this summer that they were not trading Ayton
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1917 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:10 am

At this point, you kinda have to move him right? Can't imagine he doesn't already have his bags packed and ready to go
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 8,085

Post#1918 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:10 pm

Gambo sounded like we pretty much prefer Nurkic, didn't say anything about other pieces.
flagstaff
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#1919 » by flagstaff » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:46 pm

I truly believe that if Ayton were on another team and could be had at a fair trade value, we would be hard after him. He is athletic, strong, skilled. Everything we need in a center. I think giving him a chance with a new coaching staff and a full training camp with the other big 3 would be wise. If it doesn't work out visit it mid-season. The types of deals being discussed will be available then.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,281

Post#1920 » by bigfoot » Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:56 pm

flagstaff wrote:I truly believe that if Ayton were on another team and could be had at a fair trade value, we would be hard after him. He is athletic, strong, skilled. Everything we need in a center. I think giving him a chance with a new coaching staff and a full training camp with the other big 3 would be wise. If it doesn't work out visit it mid-season. The types of deals being discussed will be available then.

A new coach can't fix his problems. Only Ayton can fix his problems. He is what he is.

An in-his-sleep 16p/10r disappearing act.

Return to Phoenix Suns