ImageImageImage

Bol Bol

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,301

Re: Bol Bol 

Post#21 » by Calvin Klein » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:39 pm

I can already see the posts and arguments around “we lost because we didn’t play bol bol”.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Post#22 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:34 am

Calvin Klein wrote:I can already see the posts and arguments around “we lost because we didn’t play bol bol”.

93% of Commemts- Ayton is too soft needs to be traded.

7%- we lost because we didn’t play Bol Bol
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,800

Post#23 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:41 am

tleikheen wrote:
If he gives up on being a star and just focused on being a role player maybe they will have something.

That's ridiculous ,he's 23 yrs old already doing things other players can't and playing with stars should help him better than the Magic players who are trying to earn reputations in the NBA.

Having a unique skill set alone doesn't give minutes. What does is being a productive and impactful player. What he has right now is a suspect 3pt shot which could be decent and having the size and length to be a good shotblocker. If he can be a stretch 5 with good rim protection, he's going to get minutes on a lot of teams.

If he wants to continue to be a 7'2 PG which he isn't very good at, he's not going to get much playing time, especially on a team without the patience or opportunity to give to him to do all that.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#24 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:44 am

Mr Puddles wrote:Bol reminds me a bit of Javale in the sense that McGee started his career as an athletic but clumsy 7 footer who made it onto many a blooper real.

If Bol can model his game after veteran Mcgee, a player who plays within himself and doesnt try to be a 7 foot point guard, he can carve out a nice niche for himself in the league - similar to the way Mcgee did.

+1

McGee built his career on being a good vibes guy, putting away his toys (bad ball handling, flashy no-look passes to no one etc) and focusing on what is going to get him playing time and that's simplifying his game and bringing energy/defense. I think Bol Bol can tap into his unique skill set at times when the opportunity arises but thinking he's going to be Jokic out there is not going to earn him much PT.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,047

Post#25 » by tleikheen » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:02 am

If he wants to continue to be a 7'2 PG which he isn't very good at, he's not going to get much playing time, especially on a team without the patience or opportunity to give to him to do all that...........

I dont think you've seen much of Bol Bol play because he doesnt try to be a PG but if he gets a rebound and sees an opening he will take it coast to coast and be very good at it. Bottom line he doesnt have to give it up to a PG when he can get it up there faster by himself and that is a unique talent for a 7'2" player.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#26 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:24 am

tleikheen wrote:If he wants to continue to be a 7'2 PG which he isn't very good at, he's not going to get much playing time, especially on a team without the patience or opportunity to give to him to do all that...........

I dont think you've seen much of Bol Bol play because he doesnt try to be a PG but if he gets a rebound and sees an opening he will take it coast to coast and be very good at it. Bottom line he doesnt have to give it up to a PG when he can get it up there faster by himself and that is a unique talent for a 7'2" player.

I'm fine with that. I want him as a finisher rather than a creator which is where he has the most issues. If he's getting a spot up 3, finishing on lobs, attacking a close out etc I'm fine with all that. It's when the offense isn't moving much and he tries to create some sort of offense which is what I don't want to see.

I can almost guarantee he won't have nearly the same amount of freedom to do what he did in Orlando so he either simplifies his game as to not make too many mistakes and earn playing time or he tries to show out in spot minutes and lose playing time
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by tleikheen » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:31 pm

I can almost guarantee he won't have nearly the same amount of freedom to do what he did in Orlando so he either simplifies his game as to not make too many mistakes and earn playing time or he tries to show out in spot minutes and lose playing time

Once again you show your limitations of how much youve seen Bol Bol play.,He's not a ballhog and always tryed to make the right pass in a my turn ,your turn offense they had in Orlando. Playing with greats like KD,Booker and Beal will help him learn more BB which is his real weakness as last yr was his 1st injury free yr and getting playing time .Getting healthy and playing time showed what he now knows he can do ,He'll play great this year with more experienced players to play with.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,459

Post#28 » by dremill24 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:41 pm

This seems familiar...
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#29 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:33 pm

tleikheen wrote:

Once again you show your limitations of how much youve seen Bol Bol play.,He's not a ballhog and always tryed to make the right pass in a my turn ,your turn offense they had in Orlando. Playing with greats like KD,Booker and Beal will help him learn more BB which is his real weakness as last yr was his 1st injury free yr and getting playing time .Getting healthy and playing time showed what he now knows he can do ,He'll play great this year with more experienced players to play with.

I went back to watch about a dozen Orlando games over the past couple of weeks after he was waived and I got excited about the potential prospect of picking him up. Given he doesn't have an especially big sample size of good games, it's not hard to get a good feel of what he is good at, what he isn't good at and what how he's going to bring value to the Suns.

I don't think he's a ball hog but he does have a tendency to try and do a bit too much given his current skill set. But he was allowed to do that and make mistakes because of where he was playing. He won't get those opportunities outside of garbage time and if he wants real rotation minutes, he's going to play the way that is going to earn him playing time.
DroughtsOverPHX
Junior
And1: 359

Post#30 » by DroughtsOverPHX » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:54 am

Though he looks horrible handling the ball, he looks way better than Javale plus he can hit 3's. We have a player who is young enough to develop which is a rarity for us. Hopefully this team has so many blowouts that we get to see Mr. Bol a lot.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Post#31 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:11 am

DroughtsOverPHX wrote:Though he looks horrible handling the ball, he looks way better than Javale plus he can hit 3's. We have a player who is young enough to develop which is a rarity for us. Hopefully this team has so many blowouts that we get to see Mr. Bol a lot.

Let’s hope we don’t trade him in a few years like we did with 95% of our roster. It’s nice to have superstars and vets but you need young players too incase of injuries or losing your top players in a few years. Anything can happen I still wish we kept Mikal & CamJ or at least one of them.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#32 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:12 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:
DroughtsOverPHX wrote:Though he looks horrible handling the ball, he looks way better than Javale plus he can hit 3's. We have a player who is young enough to develop which is a rarity for us. Hopefully this team has so many blowouts that we get to see Mr. Bol a lot.

Let’s hope we don’t trade him in a few years like we did with 95% of our roster. It’s nice to have superstars and vets but you need young players too incase of injuries or losing your top players in a few years. Anthony can happen I still wish we kept Mikal & CamJ or at least one of them.

We only have him for a year. If he's not good, he's probably not going to make the playoff roster. If he's good, we likely won't be able to resign him because all we can offer is the minimum.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,114

Post#33 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:52 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
tleikheen wrote:

I went back to watch about a dozen Orlando games over the past couple of weeks after he was waived and I got excited about the potential prospect of picking him up. Given he doesn't have an especially big sample size of good games, it's not hard to get a good feel of what he is good at, what he isn't good at and what how he's going to bring value to the Suns.

I don't think he's a ball hog but he does have a tendency to try and do a bit too much given his current skill set. But he was allowed to do that and make mistakes because of where he was playing. He won't get those opportunities outside of garbage time and if he wants real rotation minutes, he's going to play the way that is going to earn him playing time.

Precisely. He can't play the way he did in ORL. They were tanking; we're a contender. Boneheaded turnovers and falling asleep on D will get you nailed to the bench. If he's willing to accept a role and stay in his lane, he could join the rotation. The question is whether or not he's been humbled enough to accept that (at least at this point in his career) he's a role player.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,268

Post#34 » by Bogyo » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:55 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
tleikheen wrote:

Precisely. He can't play the way he did in ORL. They were tanking; we're a contender. Boneheaded turnovers and falling asleep on D will get you nailed to the bench. If he's willing to accept a role and stay in his lane, he could join the rotation. The question is whether or not he's been humbled enough to accept that (at least at this point in his career) he's a role player.

Yep. Podcast guys (TImeline I iirc) went over his stats, and the thing is, he is a C, not a PF: Thats how/where he works best. So in theory we have to get it in his head that he is our bench strech 5. He is good at protecting the rim, and (sometimes) shooting open 3's. Thats pretty much what he should (try to) do here. If he excells than he could be a poor mans Brook Lopez for larger money somewhere else (as we won't be able to pay him just the vet min). If not he is probably out of the league for good.
# waiting for the next chapter
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by tleikheen » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:09 pm

So much Bol Bol hate and yet KD loves his length and talent and KD was Bols favorite player and why would he not play the way KD wants him to play.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#36 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:36 pm

tleikheen wrote:So much Bol Bol hate and yet KD loves his length and talent and KD was Bols favorite player and why would he not play the way KD wants him to play.
Saying Bol Bol needs to focus on how he can help a team vs trying to be a superstar isn't 'hate'. It's acutely fair with him specifically because questions about his mindset have been there since college. It's partly why he fell in the draft. He's also had a couple teams already give up on him and the whole league passes him over on waivers. Hopefully that's a wake up call. I actually think signing with the suns is a good sign he might get it because he knows this is a contender where he'll have to earn his minutes.

I think he's a real unique and fun takent.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,020

Post#37 » by Saberestar » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:40 pm

Bol Bol is Jokic krytonite.

tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by tleikheen » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:42 pm

I expect Bol to get alot of playing time with the big 3 as he has major talent that they can mold and direct into winning plays.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#39 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:49 pm

To go from two dozen decent/fun games on a 35-47 Orlando team and yet not even doing enough to avoid being waived to playing major minutes on a contender with the Big 3? I would love to see that but reality isn't a Disney sports movie

Orlando was a -4.4 when he was on the court vs -2.5 when he's off. As a starter, he was a -7.2 and those were his good games. Those are typical fun box score stats/poor impact type of numbers. I think there's a chance he could get a lot out of this experience but if he thinks he's going to come in and make winning plays right away, tleikheen and Bol Bol is in for a rude awakening.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,020

Post#40 » by Saberestar » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:50 am

James Jones: “Bol brings unique skills and abilities to our forward and center positions, which further enhances our depth and versatility. His continued growth and development will help make us a more complete team.”

Read on Twitter

Return to Phoenix Suns