Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion Pt. 5

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,024

Re: Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion Pt. 5 

Post#421 » by Saberestar » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:20 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:IDK if Kemba is the right player, but I would love to get a good PG to start for us now and next season.

I do not care how good are Trae Young or Doncic...even if we are lucky enough to get one of them (I doubt it) they are not gonna be good enough to start for a playoff team in the NBA.

Look Jamal Murray...he is great and in his second season is playing well as a starter, but he was mediocre at best as a rookie. A lot of other examples are out there in the league.

It is soooo difficult to be a playoff team with a rookie PG starting...nearly impossible. And we want to fight for the playoffs seriously next season.

I want an starting PG who has played already in the NBA. If we draft Doncic or Young they can play backup minutes and if they play outstanding basketball we can always trade that veteran starting PG. Not a problem at all.

I don't know if Young or Doncic could start as a rookie on a playoff team but they are both a heck of a lot better prospects than Jamal freakin Murray was. He doesn't even really pass. What did he average in college, like 2 assists per game? It'll probably still be tough to make the playoffs next year regardless of who our PG is if the rest of the west is healthy.

Ok...it was just an example. Not Murray.

Are there too many teams going to the playoffs with a rookie starting PG? Young and Doncic are great, but we are not talking about LeBron going to the draft.

We are gonna need more talented players and with solid NBA experience to go to the playoffs IMO. Not just our current roster and a couple of rookies.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,802

Post#422 » by darealjuice » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Saberestar wrote:Are there too many teams going to the playoffs with a rookie starting PG? Young and Doncic are great, but we are not talking about LeBron going to the draft.

We are gonna need more talented players and with solid NBA experience to go to the playoffs IMO. Not just our current roster and a couple of rookies.

I think you're probably right that we wouldn't make the playoffs with a rookie point guard. With that said, I don't necessarily think missing the playoffs next year is the worst thing as long as we improve enough that we are in the hunt for the playoffs and do more to take advantage of trade opportunities that improve our team. That next offseason will be when Chandler and Dudley are off the books, making them either big money expiring cap for trades next season or useful for opening 23M in cap space for us to add someone in the offseason (with more than enough room to still give Book his max). We could be seriously attractive to the 2019 free agents if we're playing .500 ball with a young but clearly growing team, and we'll still have assets in our pick, the Bucks pick, and the Heat 2021 pick to help take the next step.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,891

Post#423 » by Qwigglez » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:41 pm

Kerrsed wrote:Lillard needs to go to the East so he quits getting snubbed for all-star votes.

Agreed, though I'm trying to become a part-time Blazers fan but they just remind me of the Suns treadmilling team. And I don't like their colors...
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Post#424 » by RaisingArizona » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:42 pm

darealjuice wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:
Revived wrote:He’ll just leave just like the many, many, many disgruntled players from the Suns who’ve demanded trades and left before him.

There’s only so much “drafting and waiting” that he’ll be able to handle while he looks around and sees players that were drafted with him like Towns having teams that are aggressive in trades & free agency and making moves to become top playoff teams in the conference.

That will happen if McD plays this like 80% of the people here want to. Let's hope he doesn't.

Oh please :lol: Nearly everyone here wants to try making our playoff run next year, you think making a futile run at the playoffs this season is the difference between Booker staying and leaving?

A sustained run at the playoffs is imperative to keep him here. Waiting 5 years for that to happen is a disaster waiting to happen.
RaisingArizona
RealGM

Post#425 » by RaisingArizona » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:45 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:

That will happen if McD plays this like 80% of the people here want to. Let's hope he doesn't.

Oh please :lol: Nearly everyone here wants to try making our playoff run next year, you think making a futile run at the playoffs this season is the difference between Booker staying and leaving?

There is no need to respond to their nonsense at this point.

How is immediately building around our star and sidekick nonsense?
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,802

Post#426 » by darealjuice » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:50 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:

A sustained run at the playoffs is imperative to keep him here. Waiting 5 years for that to happen is a disaster waiting to happen.

Do you not know what the words "next year" mean when put together? Is Kemba really a sustained run at the playoffs anyways?I know you ignore every single dissenting posting, but adding him now pretty much seals our fate as far as cap space goes for 4-5 years after next season. Unless you put Kemba on this pedestal like he's a guaranteed all star in the West that gets us to a top 4 seed and keeps us there, that's not guaranteeing the "sustained run at the playoffs that is imperative to keep him here."
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#427 » by hollywood6964 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:50 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:IDK if Kemba is the right player, but I would love to get a good PG to start for us now and next season.

I do not care how good are Trae Young or Doncic...even if we are lucky enough to get one of them (I doubt it) they are not gonna be good enough to start for a playoff team in the NBA.

Look Jamal Murray...he is great and in his second season is playing well as a starter, but he was mediocre at best as a rookie. A lot of other examples are out there in the league.

It is soooo difficult to be a playoff team with a rookie PG starting...nearly impossible. And we want to fight for the playoffs seriously next season.

I want an starting PG who has played already in the NBA. If we draft Doncic or Young they can play backup minutes and if they play outstanding basketball we can always trade that veteran starting PG. Not a problem at all.

I don't know if Young or Doncic could start as a rookie on a playoff team but they are both a heck of a lot better prospects than Jamal freakin Murray was. He doesn't even really pass. What did he average in college, like 2 assists per game? It'll probably still be tough to make the playoffs next year regardless of who our PG is if the rest of the west is healthy.

I'm pretty down on the suns most times, but actually do think, if healthy, n we get a borderline all star pg, we can fight for a playoff spot next year. Now it'd be 7 or 8, 6 at the very outside, but it's a start.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,910

Post#428 » by Damkac » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:51 pm

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1662386
GB posters don't see the Knight trade as the top 3 worst trades of the decade. I find this comforting.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#429 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:52 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:

This summer's draft, trades, and free agency is the big transition. No one is interested in waiting 5 years.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#430 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:56 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I'm pretty down on the suns most times, but actually do think, if healthy, n we get a borderline all star pg, we can fight for a playoff spot next year. Now it'd be 7 or 8, 6 at the very outside, but it's a start.

Remember we will get more players than just than a borderline all-star pg this summer. The only reason that the Suns might be interested in Trae Young is that he looks to be NBA ready. If not him, then another pg like Kemba.

But it will not just be that. There WILL be a quality big added either through trade, free agency, or trade.

We are NOT keeping 3 or even 2 first round picks and certainly not 3 second round pick. Trades will be made and this team will be looking to fill out this roster with mid-twenties types of star or nearly star players. I expect they even might add a late-twenties type of player just to round out the maturity level of the team.

Lots of things are going to happen, but it starts with the draft. Not such much this trade deadline.
RaisingArizona
RealGM

Post#431 » by RaisingArizona » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:00 pm

darealjuice wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:
darealjuice wrote:

Do you not know what the words "next year" mean when put together? Is Kemba really a sustained run at the playoffs anyways?I know you ignore every single dissenting posting, but adding him now pretty much seals our fate as far as cap space goes for 4-5 years after next season. Unless you put Kemba on this pedestal like he's a guaranteed all star in the West that gets us to a top 4 seed and keeps us there, that's not guaranteeing the "sustained run at the playoffs that is imperative to keep him here."

So we're hoping to move up in the lottery (never happens) and hoping whoever we draft doesn't take years to develop. Otherwise the 5 year plan is exactly what you're proposing.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,759

Post#432 » by Revived » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:03 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:

Nonsense? Eh I mean I think everyone’s opinion should be respected just because it doesn’t align with the otherwise majority. I respect the people’s opinion who say the Suns shouldn’t trade for Kemba even if I disagree with it.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,788

Post#433 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:06 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I don't know if Young or Doncic could start as a rookie on a playoff team but they are both a heck of a lot better prospects than Jamal Murray was. He doesn't even really pass. What did he average in college, like 2 assists per game? It'll probably still be tough to make the playoffs next year regardless of who our PG is if the rest of the west is healthy.

I think it's possible if we have a solid guard and the young guys keep progressing. I just think it would be tough. There would probably be like 4 to 5 teams fighting for the last couple of playoff spots. We could be in that mix, but sometimes the more experienced teams win out in those scenarios. But even if we just got really close, I think that would really drive them for the following year. It would also be more fun as a fan knowing we have a chance at making it down the stretch.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#434 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Ok...it was just an example. Not Murray.

Are there too many teams going to the playoffs with a rookie starting PG? Young and Doncic are great, but we are not talking about LeBron going to the draft.

I've said I'd like us to get a solid vet PG and I think it would be a good idea. Canaan is playing very well though. I mean not only is he nearly shooting 40% from 3, but he has a nearly 3 to 1 assist ratio. It's been a while since we've had that. I've mentioned before I wouldn't mind Hill. I wouldn't mind Napier in RFA if he wasn't too expensive.

I wouldn't necessarily count out a guy like Doncic or Young playing a big part. I mean Doncic is leading one of the best teams in the Euroleague to the championship (or near championship...I can't remember) and this is the toughest league outside the NBA. I wouldn't discount what he might be able to do.

And Okla wasn't even close to being ranked in the NCAA and Young alone has elevated them to a top 10 team. The gravity he could pull from Booker and his passing ability could provide immediate impact.

But long term these guys could develop into key players on a high level playoff team. I think it's good to have a vet around though, so I don't disagree. But for me building a playoff team that can be there year in and year out and eventually get to a top seed over the next 8-10 years, even if it doesn't start next year is more important than just focusing solely on trying to make it next year. I want to have a foundation that will last.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#435 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:22 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:

No one is saying they should wait 5 years to build around him. They've already been building around him for 2 and will add more this summer. He is obviously the player they are building around.

Insinuating that someone else is advocating waiting 5 years to build around him and arguing against that is strawman arguing and is not appreciated.
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Post#436 » by NavLDO » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:30 pm

sunsbum wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:
Cutter wrote:No big time FA star is going to come to Phoenix because we draft Trae Young or Donic this year. If we drafted one of these guys, they played 3 years at a high level and showed a lot of promise, then maybe a star would take notice and sign with the Suns.

tl; dr; NBA stars don't fap over top draft picks like fans do.
The amount of draftpick fapping is out of control here. The poll question is basically do you want to be good next year or not. And overwhelmingly no, "fans" don't. :lol:

I don't think that's the case at all, most of us feel walker isnt good for the franchise long or short term at this point in time.

First, it was Kyrie wasn't good enough; the current leading scoring PG. Now it's Kemba, the current 6th leading scoring PG isn't good for the Suns. Both are 'all-star-level' talents.

Fans here are talking about getting high-scoring Guard help in here to help out Booker, and here comes along a 27-YO PG who's avg'd 22 pts/gm over the past 3 years. We also want distributors, and Kemba is avg'ing 5.8 asst/gm this season--6.4 in January.

Would I like him to be a bit stronger 3PT shooter? Yeah, but he shoots 7 att/gm. He's also known to be a hard worker, and is consistently improving.

Doesn't matter. The majority here will be correct...and 'happy', while the few of us will wrong, and unhappy, because McD will goon up this opportunity as well.

I'm not one to want to go after every FA/Trade target that becomes available; I'm really not, but I've been in favor of Kemba for months. He fits close enough to the age range, he's a great player, he'll likely attract at least one other high-level player, and we'll get him for the next year and a half for peanuts, allowing us to go after another big name target. Some thing that Dragic, or Hill, won't allow us to do, and isn't close enough to our ideal age range.

Kemba is one of the youngest proven PGs out there, the other we passed on this summer, and Lillard is not likely to come on the market. So yeah, to me, this is a fantastic opportunity to get better. Because when we miss out on Doncic and/or Young, or they disappoint after we do draft them, like JJ has (no, JJ hasn't, but shhhh, don't tell the forever tanker, immediate-gratification-types that...)

Seriously. For all of you wanting Young or Doncic, or whoever else other draft prospect you are salivating over, that you are afraid that Kemba will ruin your chances of getting??? Well, be prepared for the fact that there's a good chance that player won't be good in his first 20-30 games either, which, in turn, will continue to likely delay JJ's, Bender, and Chriss' development further. Be careful what you wish for...because JJ didn't come in guns-a-blazin either, as originally thought by some.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#437 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:31 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
darealjuice wrote:

How is immediately building around our star and sidekick nonsense?

We are building around him. Continually coming to the forum insinuating/hinting and saying Booker is going to leave the Suns is basically trolling. You go to any other team forum and say their rookie contract guy is going to leave the team at some point because they suck isn't adding anything. And it's gotten repetitive.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#438 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:37 pm

RaisingArizona wrote:
darealjuice wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:

So we're hoping to move up in the lottery (never happens) and hoping whoever we draft doesn't take years to develop. Otherwise the 5 year plan is exactly what you're proposing.

Yes, we are hoping we move up in the lottery. I'm guessing all fans of all teams in the lottery hope they do when the lottery takes place. But even if not, we add another key piece. Then we see what we can do in free agency. Making a trade now does nothing for us except deplete our roster and set up back long term.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,804

Post#439 » by thamadkant » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:38 pm

Fultz would be someone I can see growing into the Suns PG of the future next to Booker.
But will 76ers even trade him?, he was picked Number 1 so thats going to be a tough sell (or buy).

I wanted D'Angelo Russell... but Nets will not trade him, they need a sure fire young star after trading all their picks earlier... and Russell is sort of fixes that, he is a legit GOOD young player, someone to build around. Suns missed out on that one, would have been a fun back court with Booker.

Those players are the right potential and age for the Suns to aim for as PG of the future.... assuming Suns are going to continue to build on the youth direction.

If they want to contend ASAP... then those players are good options too.... but they can focus on better players playing other positions , such as Cousins, George etc.

It's tough... we don't know what Booker thinks... in the end, we all know McD and the FO will sit down with Booker and ask him what they should do... continue with youth, or contend ASAP.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#440 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:45 pm

NavLDO wrote:I'm not one to want to go after every FA/Trade target that becomes available; I'm really not, but I've been in favor of Kemba for months. He fits close enough to the age range, he's a great player, he'll likely attract at least one other high-level player, and we'll get him for the next year and a half for peanuts, allowing us to go after another big name target. Some thing that Dragic, or Hill, won't allow us to do, and isn't close enough to our ideal age range.

The only reason they put Kemba on the block is because they wanted to get rid of long term bad contracts. I've seen a number of people across the forums ignore this.

If we did somehow trade for him, you can be sure we'd have to take back enough bad money to deplete and eat up all of our cap space. It's convenient to ignore to help your argument but that's what they will trade him for. Woj has let it be known what they want to accomplish with a potential trade.

If we traded for him, we have this other long term contract and our team is pretty much a finished product and then soon we'd have a couple of guys on max deals and that would be it for our team.

Return to Phoenix Suns