ImageImageImage

2022-23 Season Discussion and Speculation 3 - Trade season begins

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Which package for Ayton would you prefer?

Poeltl, McDermott and Collins
17%
w/Crowder - FVV, Boucher and Young
21%
Beasley, Vanderbilt and Olynyk
62%

Total votes: 29

grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 14,018

Re: 2022-23 Season Discussion and Speculation 3 - Trade season begins 

Post#721 » by grumpysaddle » Sun Jan 1, 2023 8:22 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Being able to crouch like that is a good sign. I've been out of work since September with a small meniscus tear and couldn't squat like that if I tried. Of course I am at the mercy of worker's comp insurance and it moves like molasses. Waiting for an orthopedist appointment i made at beginning of December. Still 3 weeks away. Lol. Ugh. I wish I was rich.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,271

Post#722 » by Bogyo » Sun Jan 1, 2023 9:19 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:I was never as high on D'Angelo Russell as many, but I noticed Wolves fans hoping they let him go or trade him. I thought he was playing poorly but his #s are good 17 and 6.5 and his efficiency is his best ever. Best FG% but particularly his 2pt%, where his best ever coming into this year was 49% and this year is over 56%. That is very similar to when Book made a huge jump in his efficiency in year 4 and took a big step.

His defense is poor but that would give us another creator. He is an UFA this offseason but I wonder if the Wolves at some point would entertain something with expirings and to get a pick back. I do wonder how much he would get paid this offseason but if he took MLE type money he would be a nice signing...I imagine he would be more like mid teens though.

I doubt the Wolves would want Paul and I have said I don't think he's worth much, but that is the kind of team in such disarray that maybe Paul could help right their ship to be more disciplined. I don't think our FO would ever do it, and I'm sure Paul would be pissed (not that they should really care). And of course they would be in direct competition with us for a playoff spot. I am also unsure how our team would play with Russell and not Book or Paul along with Bridges and Ayton. He would be our main scorer and more efficient than Paul, especially in the mid range (odd to say) who dropped from 56% from 2 to under 50% for the first time since his 2nd year.

Or just trade Crowder, expirings and another guard.

The thing is, Minnesota can't really just give up on the season (or any season until 27) because none of their picks or swaps with Utah until 2029 are protected at all.

You should check the trade board thread on "Does Paul make sense for any other team"? Because the broad consensus amongst wolves fanbase is they'd love to have Paul and would love a Paul/ Crowder for Russell/ Prince/ Minott or Wendell Moore/ NYK 23' nd too. They're pretty desperate to maximize their playoff projection after the Gobert trade and outgoing picks . And even more so given their losing streak too. Their primed for a Paul for Russell trade honestly. :wink:

I actually suggested this (CP+Crowder for Russel+Prince) a couple of pages back - and I never visit any other forums.
I guess I'm not the only one with the trade machine and a lot of time on my hands during the holidays. :D
In reality I'm just ready to move on from CP - he ain't doing any miracles, especially not this year with all our injuries. It would be better for our future if we got something for him while he has any kind of value around the league, becouse if he continues to age like this, we'll be stuck with him, or his salary for one/two more years. That's just wasting year(s) from Books prime. Mikals too, as he was a 4 year college guy.
# waiting for the next chapter
grumpysaddle
RealGM
And1: 14,018

Post#723 » by grumpysaddle » Sun Jan 1, 2023 9:19 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:So is the suns/ Knicks game just not televised today? Can't find a link or place to watch it on?

You are unlikely to be able to watch it today, because the game is tomorrow.

Unlikely huh? So you're saying there's a chance...
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,048

Post#724 » by Saberestar » Sun Jan 1, 2023 10:24 pm

Suns are listing Landry Shamet and Cam Payne as probable to return for the Suns tomorrow against the Knicks.

Devin Booker, Cam Johnson and Jae Crowder remain out.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,349

Post#725 » by Slim Charless » Mon Jan 2, 2023 1:28 am

sunskerr wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

The "internal development" of the 3 best players on the team that Jones didn't even draft. The "internal development" of trading the guy he passed on Haliburton for. "Internal development" of passing on a 24 year old PF with scoring potential in Rui Hachimura (not that I am particularly a fan of Rui either)...

Brutal.

JJ got it right with CamJo, but there was still better players on board there. That whole Haliburton/Stix move then trading Stix for nothing was absolutely brutal however.

Either way, I'm not exactly trusting Tavares to be able to coach these guys up. Under his leadership, I highly doubt that Haliburton would look as good as he does now.

This is a Tavares issue with being able to develop guys and understand younger players.
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,272

Post#726 » by RaisingArizona » Mon Jan 2, 2023 1:44 am

Gok, let's watch the game together tonight
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,272

Post#727 » by RaisingArizona » Mon Jan 2, 2023 1:46 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Being able to crouch like that is a good sign. I've been out of work since September with a small meniscus tear and couldn't squat like that if I tried. Of course I am at the mercy of worker's comp insurance and it moves like molasses. Waiting for an orthopedist appointment i made at beginning of December. Still 3 weeks away. Lol. Ugh. I wish I was rich.

I think I tore mine a few years ago and it just keeps hurting worse. Might have to get mine fixed one day
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,977

Post#728 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jan 2, 2023 3:19 am

Read on Twitter
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#729 » by King4Day » Mon Jan 2, 2023 3:45 am

grumpysaddle wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:So is the suns/ Knicks game just not televised today? Can't find a link or place to watch it on?

You are unlikely to be able to watch it today, because the game is tomorrow.

Unlikely huh? So you're saying there's a chance...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#730 » by King4Day » Mon Jan 2, 2023 3:49 am

Been in Florida since before xmas and just returned. Missed you guys. Still watching as much as i can despite how painful it's been
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,492

Post#731 » by sunskerr » Mon Jan 2, 2023 4:30 am

Hachimura 26 points...is he finally decent? Nah. Maybe. I dunno. Hmm. Did we miss the trade window? Jonesy?
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#732 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jan 2, 2023 4:41 am

Read on Twitter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,840

Post#733 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:02 am

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

I can give him a pass for the last two seasons because we were playing well above expectations in year 1 and we were far and away the best team last season. I could understand (although I would've liked a trade last season) staying the course and focusing internal development the last two seasons but I think this season....we NEED to do something. There just isn't the consistent, impactful and permanent development we've been led to expect.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#734 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:22 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

I can give him a pass for the last two seasons because we were playing well above expectations in year 1 and we were far and away the best team last season. I could understand (although I would've liked a trade last season) staying the course and focusing internal development the last two seasons but I think this season....we NEED to do something. There just isn't the consistent, impactful and permanent development we've been led to expect.

Agree with your post the last two seasons he does mostly get a pass due to us exceeding expectations as an unanticipated byproduct of Paul's elite effects on our team. But there should have been more done last season and going through multiple seasons with not addressing glaring critical issues that have repeatedly played part in our consecutive postseason collapses is inexcusable.

But in fairness to Jones, I really can't gauge with any degree of accuracy how much of his inability/ unwillingness to execute big or measurable moves could be a direct result of Saver's tight fisted and parsimonious directives. IF he's kept on for a temporary role or in a supplemental manner ilas I've suggested is possible, I 'll be intrigued to see what he may actually accomplish. Regardless though, I fully expect BIG CHANGES are coming that'll be a transformative catalyst to a whole new more competitive and dynamic era in suns basketball! :nod:
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,271

Post#735 » by Bogyo » Mon Jan 2, 2023 6:38 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nope. No pass. If he got Chandler during our first season around the allstar break, or at the deadline - when basically we had a chance to get him, and a lot of people (here, media, etc...) were screaming to do so, we likely have a chip now.
Kinda the same thing happened during the offseason(s) and the other trade deadlines. Definate needs, some "doable - looking" solutions, no moves at all, or some smaller ones, and "head-scratchers" at best, utter nonsense at worst. Thats his CV. Period.
# waiting for the next chapter
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,840

Post#736 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 2, 2023 7:56 am

Bogyo wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nope. No pass. If he got Chandler during our first season around the allstar break, or at the deadline - when basically we had a chance to get him, and a lot of people (here, media, etc...) were screaming to do so, we likely have a chip now.
Kinda the same thing happened during the offseason(s) and the other trade deadlines. Definate needs, some "doable - looking" solutions, no moves at all, or some smaller ones, and "head-scratchers" at best, utter nonsense at worst. Thats his CV. Period.

Chandler? Or Gordon? Not sure which Chandler you're talking about
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SSOL
Bench Warmer
And1: 436

Post#737 » by SSOL » Mon Jan 2, 2023 2:18 pm

Bogyo wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

Fairly certain that is a troll post from Xin.
Kreamy
RealGM
And1: 2,097

Post#738 » by Kreamy » Mon Jan 2, 2023 3:39 pm

Ghost of Kleine wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is fake. There's no Athletic article.
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets

Post#739 » by Ghost of Kleine » Mon Jan 2, 2023 4:12 pm

SSOL wrote:
Bogyo wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I can give him a pass for the last two seasons because we were playing well above expectations in year 1 and we were far and away the best team last season. I could understand (although I would've liked a trade last season) staying the course and focusing internal development the last two seasons but I think this season....we NEED to do something. There just isn't the consistent, impactful and permanent development we've been led to expect.

Fairly certain that is a troll post from Xin.

Most likely of course. So hear anything new (watercooler talk or other) in the way of Mat Ishbia finalizing the deal soon or in the way of trade considerations/ populations?
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#740 » by Calvin Klein » Mon Jan 2, 2023 5:52 pm

Stay away from DAngello Russell.

Return to Phoenix Suns