ImageImageImage

Kerr wants to trade?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Pugsley_2491
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#81 » by Pugsley_2491 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:09 am

^^ i was a big fan of that trade overall for both teams and was surprised it didn't go through. i think AK would THRIVE in the suns system and him and amare would make for a pretty intimidating frontcourt.
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#82 » by Duiz » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:12 am

AK = Triple double a night for the suns.

Shawn Marion = Messiah for Utah.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,568

Post#83 » by Stix » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:38 pm

AK ??? No way, isnt this the same guy causing chemistry issues in Utah? So why would be want him here, if we are already having issues? I think our best bet is dealing Amare to Memphis.

*Memphis buys out Damon Stoudamire and signs for vet min

Gasol + Miller + Stoudamire

for

Amare + Banks

PHX would end up with a pretty deep line-up:

PG - Nash/Stoudamire
SG - Bell/Barbosa
SF - Hill/Miller
PF - Marion/Diaw
C - Gasol/Skinner

Memphis hasn't ruled Gasol out of trade talks and is a team that is lottery bound. Iavaroni can continue to develop Amare in Memphis and they can build around Amare, Gay, and Conley in a young uptempo system.
13-32
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#84 » by 13-32 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:38 pm

Gasol is soft as hell

That's what is baffling me about his name being put out there for Amare..Amare may not be the greatest player on defense but atleast he has some toughness

Gasol is as soft as tissues
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#85 » by NapoleonII » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:41 pm

Gasol has never won a playoff GAME. We need to win 3 SERIES.

Next.
acis
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#86 » by acis » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:06 pm

NapoleonII wrote:Gasol has never won a playoff GAME. We need to win 3 SERIES.

Next.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gasol

he's won world championships and european championships. not saying i agree with the trade but don't count him out because he's played for memphis.
^^impulsenine
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,568

Post#87 » by Stix » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:36 pm

NapoleonII wrote:Gasol has never won a playoff GAME. We need to win 3 SERIES.

Next.

Just because he hasnt had the right opportunity to win a Playoff game, doesn't mean he CAN'T. And the last time I checked, this was a TEAM sport.

:roll:
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,344

Post#88 » by Frank Lee » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:32 pm

Banks + Atl pick
Pike + Tucker + Atl pick
or combo

thats about all we can offer

anything else would be taking a step backwards for maybe two forward.

We'd be better off signing webber or PJ.... that wallet is gonna have to crack open Mr Sarver
What ? Me Worry ?
JustMoe
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#89 » by JustMoe » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:11 am

There's just no damn sense in trading Amare for Gasol, plain and simple. He's nowhere near an upgrade over Amare, and it's not like he's a totally different type of player, either.
Do you guys seriously want to aquire another PF we'd start at C who enjoys complaining about not getting the respect he deserves and therefor demanding a trade?! I remember that many people around here were bashing Trix for doing so last summer, and now you seriously want to add another one?! Doesn't make sense to me. Gasol is older than Amare, he earns the same amount of money...oh, and btw: he's worse.
Raptors fan through good and (mostly) bad times since 1995

2019: The year hell froze over
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,335

Post#90 » by TASTIC » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:15 am

I don't see an point with Amare for Gasol either...Marion for Gasol yes, because we get bigger which is what's needed in the West. I'll hurl if Amare's traded
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#91 » by nevetsov » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:55 am

TASTIC wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Ummm

I don't think I'm the only who thinks why not just cut SAC out and go after Brand with that package?

Marion+Barbosa+Banks+Tucker+Pike+ATL

for

Brand+Cassell+TT

Trade ID #4420105

Acquiring Brand won't help us at all this year, and if he doesn't opt out he'll want some pretty decent cash, which I doubt Sarver will be willing to give him anyway. And rightly so; after missing a full year of Basketball I would be hesitant on shelling out near max money on any player irrespective of former talent/ accolades.

So taking that into account, your trade basically nets us TT and Cassell who would contribute this season. IMO I would prefer to include Diaw and keep Banks and the ATL pick, if it would mean we could get Salmons and Miller as well. That would pretty much solidify our 9 man rotation and give us some nice young talent to work with (Amare, Salmons, ATL, DJ etc).

Your trade would also reduce our roster to 11 players and we'd have to go out and spend money on another two minimum salary vets as well (who would just ride the pine anyway). The first trade gets us under the tax threshold and actually gives us 14 players (so we could play both DJ and Tucker in the D League together, which would hopefully give them some chemistry).
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#92 » by no D in Hibachi » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:06 am

Darius Songaila for Marcus Banks?

They both have nearly identical contracts. Songaila is a skilled big man who can pass and has range. He's a tough defender and rebounder. The Wizards have Pecherov who is a younger longer version of Songaila and are probably open to trading Songaila. Wiz would probably be willing to add Memphis pick as well.
nevetsov
Head Coach

Post#93 » by nevetsov » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:09 am

no D in Hibachi wrote:Darius Songaila for Marcus Banks?

They both have nearly identical contracts. Songaila is a skilled big man who can pass and has range. He's a tough defender and rebounder. The Wizards have Pecherov who is a younger longer version of Songaila and are probably open to trading Songaila. Wiz would probably be willing to add Memphis pick as well.

What's the Memphis pick? 2008 unprotected 1st?

In any case, where do I sign? :)
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by KJ7 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:46 pm

Well this thread has been fun and all but a direct quote from Sarver (and not... "a source who knows Sarver's pet monkey's uncle's cousin ...")

"They are just flat-out not getting traded," Sarver said. "We are going to play the season with our core. They deserve another chance to win a championship.

Trading Amare in particular just seemed like the biggest bunch of baloney ever. Didn't buy it for a second. I am actually a little surprised by the fact that they've lumped Marion into it but we'll see what happens.

A couple of other points from that wiretap article I found surprising.

"We are going to operate at a (financial) loss this year whether we win a championship or not," Sarver said. "There are times to go for a championship. This is a time we can. If we need to do a little more, we will."

Ouch ... looks like our cheap owner is losing money and still doesn't want to trim salary just yet. If we are operating at a loss that sure does explain our desperation of lumping Kurt's salary. Imagine operating at a loss + approx 16m (Kurt's salary and the tax dollar for dollar).

With a $71.3 million payroll, the Suns face a luxury-tax penalty of about $3.5 million. They could make a "minor addition" if General Manager Steve Kerr and coach Mike D'Antoni wish, Sarver said.

That "minor addition" has MinVet written all over it.

If Phoenix wins tonight, it would have 29 victories at the season's midpoint. That is one off the team's average over the past three first halves.

So much for everyone having figured us out.

RE: D'Antoni/Kerr discord

"Having different views and opinions is a healthy thing to come up with a consensus that is the best," Sarver said. "Mike and Steve have been on the same page. Steve was actually Mike's choice. Mike and I had an agreement that if we hired a GM, he'd have veto power."

To have something like that, do ppl still think that there is any chance we'd be getting rid of D'Antoni any time soon?

I agree that it's not always a good thing if mgmt agrees because it creates a bunch of yes-men and that's not a good environment. But the important thing is how things get resolved when there is a disagreement. Certainly doesn't look like there is any animosity there.
nevetsov
Head Coach

Post#95 » by nevetsov » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:28 pm

Wasn't the Sarver quote "we won't be trading any of our core players"?

He thinks "the core deserves another shot at winning the championship". To me our core consists of Nash, Marion and Amare. I doubt Bell, Hill get traded either. Barbosa would only go in a very good deal.

So I think Diaw and Banks are the only ones that would be traded in a "fine tuning" type scenario.

SDU's Cassell & Tim Thomas for Diaw, Banks and Piatkowski is arguably the best trade if any is to be made.

Nash/ Bell/ Hill/ Marion/ Stoudemire
Cassell/ Barbosa/ Thomas/ Skinner
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#96 » by KJ7 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Diaw's BYC and very few teams will touch Banks. Like it or not we're stuck with them. After the "LB traded" prank and the way he reacted I think that says just about everything about our chances for trading him.

I really don't see anyone leaving. I think we'll wait to see where the ATL pick lands and then try to swing a draft-day trade where we dump Banks if it's close to 20. If it lands somewhere in the 14 or under category I think we'll keep it. 15-20 will be interesting ... unless there's a kid who really stands out to them that they can feel they can obtain they will prolly move it. Banks will have 3 years remaining and his improved play might make teams think twice about it just to land the pick.

I really think they'll just be monitoring big men and PG's up until the deadline to see if anyone gets bought out. We've been pretty lucky in the past with guys like Tim Thomas so lets hope another one lands in our laps.
Togo
Pro Prospect

Post#97 » by Togo » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:37 pm

^ Do you think the Kings would take Banks, and Diaw for Brad Miller?
nevetsov
Head Coach

Post#98 » by nevetsov » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:54 pm

Togo wrote:^ Do you think the Kings would take Banks, and Diaw for Brad Miller?

I think they would consider it. They seem to be looking to push the youth movement along by putting Bibby on the market, and Artest has stated that he's going to opt out at the end of the year. They have young guys like Martin, Salmons and Garcia at the SG and SF positions and are in need of a high post player to complement Mikki Moore and Spencer Hawes. Diaw could be that player. Banks could double with Beno Udrih at the PG.

Banks/ Martin/ Salmons/ Diaw/ Moore
Udrih/ Garcia/ Hawes

Plus what they can get for Bibby or Ron Ron in a trade.. will be a good team in a couple of years.
JustMoe
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#99 » by JustMoe » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:34 pm

I wouldn't exactly call Salmons "young", nevetsov - dude is 28 ;) I can see where you're coming from, though, and I like Togo's idea, as well. It's not even like I think Miller would be the perfect fit for our team, but this trade would save us a lot of money while trading two players who are underproducing. STAT would switch to PF with Miller playing C.
The thing is this, though: the Kings would most likely ask for the Atlanta pick to be included in this deal, as well, since they would take on a lot of money and contract years. Seeing as the Hawks pick keeps dropping, I'd most likely still do the trade, but I could see some others refusing to.
Raptors fan through good and (mostly) bad times since 1995

2019: The year hell froze over
waverider
Pro Prospect

Post#100 » by waverider » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:25 pm

Blazer fan here. I saw here you guys think you might want a defensive minded C. Pryzbilla is solid at D and rebs, we'd like Barbosa. Maybe Sergio/Webs/Outlaw/Jack/Frye could also be worked in - any interest?

Return to Phoenix Suns