Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,268

Re: Deandre Ayton year 3, the next step 

Post#981 » by Bogyo » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:22 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
phx#7 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:Just saw on his Insta that he gifted all arena staff members a pair of Pumas to thank them for their effort.
Much like after his game one dunks, I can only say: nice move big fella! Keep up the good work.

Don't call him big fella!

I was thinking the same response after that. He hate it but I've always hated to the writers calling him that. I kind of hated when they called Duncan "Timmy" too. I can understand the teammates/coaches with Timmy.

But for Ayton, call him his name...never liked the standard go to for bigs with "big fella". Do they call CP3/Carter, etc "little fella"?

Wt actual f? Is this a thing? I've never heard of it, and I've heard numerous times big guys called "big fella" - I never thought it was something negative or derogatory... I was actually giving him props and still get whining here for a term that is used pretty much every basketball game? lol
# waiting for the next chapter
Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,915

Post#982 » by Ghost of Kleine » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:33 pm

Justin Kubatko (@jkubatko) Tweeted:
The @Suns Deandre Ayton is the third player in NBA history to shoot at least 50% from the field in each of his first 11 career playoff games (Cedric Maxwell and Andris Biedrins).

His 71.6 FG% is the highest by a player through his first 11 career playoff games (min. 50 FGM). https://t.co/i3icLGA2hk
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,333

Post#983 » by Slim Charless » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:45 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
phx#7 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:Just saw on his Insta that he gifted all arena staff members a pair of Pumas to thank them for their effort.
Much like after his game one dunks, I can only say: nice move big fella! Keep up the good work.

I was thinking the same response after that. He hate it but I've always hated to the writers calling him that. I kind of hated when they called Duncan "Timmy" too. I can understand the teammates/coaches with Timmy.

But for Ayton, call him his name...never liked the standard go to for bigs with "big fella". Do they call CP3/Carter, etc "little fella"?

Shaq said he reminds him of a young David Robinson. That was his comp coming out, but it's good to see Shaq-who always seems to hate on the young bigs, say that.

Shaq seems to like DA, he should consider working with him in the summer. Ayton could use Shaq's bully ball mindset more.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,761

Post#984 » by bwgood77 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:31 pm

Bogyo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
phx#7 wrote:

Wt actual f? Is this a thing? I've never heard of it, and I've heard numerous times big guys called "big fella" - I never thought it was something negative or derogatory... I was actually giving him props and still get whining here for a term that is used pretty much every basketball game? lol

Yeah, it's used often for big guys. Ayton doesn't like it.

Actually, let me put that less politely: We’ve got a team full of damn trolls.

And anyone is liable to get trolled at any moment.

I’ll start with myself, because I need some justice from these fools. Alright so the one thing I hate — hate — more than anything else, it’s being called a “big man.” Because to me it’s like….. what kinds of things does a big man do?? Not all the things I can do, that much I know. I’m bringing much more to the table than that. So I don’t want to be called a big man, or Big Man, or Big Fella or any of it. Big Fellas, they got nothing on me!! Recognize the versatility, my God.

Anyway….. the second I made that known, it was a huge mistake. Mikal, Jevon, all them trolls — they never let me hear the end of it. Calling me a “big” now every chance they get. I’ll be in the group chat, it’s “what up big fella?” Or when Coach is splitting us up in practice between guards and bigs, it’ll be like, Where should DA go?? Or like, Ohhh you mean “DA and the bigs,” not “the bigs,” right??? It’s hilarious. I mean, I hate it, but it’s hilarious.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/deandre-ayton-phoenix-suns-basketball-nba
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,785

Post#985 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:04 pm

Wilber85 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Those Pumas probably cost him nothing right? Probably comped by Puma since he's one of their star ambassadors.

If I was on a fat $8m a year, I think I'd probably do gift cards.

Did you really just try to call out Ayton for giving out shoes to everyone? You should be applauding him for using his sponsorship for the good! Crazy that someone does something nice and people still say "he should have done this".

LilFishy - You should donate $1k - 2k to the workers. I will match your donation. Let's go.

I was just being "that guy" and thinking out loud. I wasn't calling him out.

If I was on $8m a year and I'm having the best year in a decade, I'd give $2k to each worker (probably 30 or so?) as profit share. But I'm not on $8m and I don't have workers under me.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,785

Post#986 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:07 pm

bigfoot wrote:Interesting info

ESPN analyst Brian Windhorst said he watches games on the NBA League Pass, which does not show commercials. Instead, the cameras pan on the respective huddles during breaks in the action. Windhorst said that no player in the league gets chewed out more than Ayton during timeouts.

Shortly after arriving in Phoenix, Paul told a friend that Ayton looked like a player who hadn’t received substantive coaching his entire basketball life.

Yet Ayton accepted all the tough love and in-house criticism with an open mind and open heart. That tells you a lot about the student and the teachers. It illuminates the culture and brotherhood fueling this basketball team, one that is seven victories away from the greatest achievement in team history.

https://arizonasports.com/story/2699667/deandre-ayton-is-one-of-the-nbas-unsung-stars-this-postseason/

Doesn't surprise me that he's kinda the athlete playing basketball that probably got by playing at a high level with bad habits etc. At this level, a lot of those bad habits had to be coached out of him and it's amazing that he's not just receptive but also seems to get a boost out of that mentorship from other players. He's a good kid
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 6,013

Post#987 » by kennydorglas » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:21 am

Let's get that second contract, big fella.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#988 » by ATTL » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:21 am

Maybe we can get him for 20 million per year?
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Post#989 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:23 am

I think he is playing ok
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#990 » by NapoleonII » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:24 am

When are we trading him for John Collins, again?
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,267

Post#991 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:25 am

Deandre Ayght.

:lol:
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 15,006

Post#992 » by Saberestar » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:31 am

Read on Twitter
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#993 » by ATTL » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:51 am

Just a couple months ago there were people that wanted to trade him for vucevic.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#994 » by cberry78 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:56 am

wE sHoUlDa DrAfTeD lUkA!!!!!!
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Post#995 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:00 am

Calvin Klein wrote:I think he is playing ok

I agree, even a scrub like Tyson Chandler can jump out with a game winning dunk. You're a center that is your job to jump, rebound and score.
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#996 » by Flying Colors » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:24 am

If Ayton wins us a chip, I don’t ever want to hear about how we should have drafted Luka again.
irish22022
Senior
And1: 517

Post#997 » by irish22022 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:34 am

Flying Colors wrote:If Ayton wins us a chip, I don’t ever want to hear about how we should have drafted Luka again.

If we make the finals with him shooting 70+% we don't need to talk about Luka.

Would the suns be an odds on fav to win the title this soon with Luka?

No.

Ayton was the right pick officially
Flying Colors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#998 » by Flying Colors » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:50 am

irish22022 wrote:
Flying Colors wrote:If Ayton wins us a chip, I don’t ever want to hear about how we should have drafted Luka again.

If we make the finals with him shooting 70+% we don't need to talk about Luka.

Would the suns be an odds on fav to win the title this soon with Luka?

No.

Ayton was the right pick officially

Need Ayton to get that Hakeem status where no one really criticizes Houston for choosing him over Jordan
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,210

Post#999 » by sunsbg » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:16 am

What a winner. There is no place for traditional Cs in modern NBA. OK.
phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Post#1000 » by phx#7 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:19 am

NapoleonII wrote:When are we trading him for John Collins, again?

My favorite was Ayton + picks for Vucevic which was posted just before the trade deadline when Ayton was already starting to get to the next gear.

Return to Phoenix Suns