Canada
No votes
Other
3%

Total votes: 72

oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Re: Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion 4: A Knight to remember all Tuckered out! 

Post#1181 » by oddity » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:03 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
oddity wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:I'm sorry, but I disagree with the entirety of this sentiment.

One: Every generation's music - hell I'll expand that to art - is about sex and/or drugs. Go read John Donne's The Flea or Homer's Illiad. Hell, the Bible has loads about sex, that just doesn't get read on Sundays much. And every new generation develops it's own language, which largely includes slang. Much still persists in todays culture and you just take accept it because you weren't around for it's inception to criticize it for being "pointless".

Two: Anyone who thinks they should be kept safe from mass exodus they suggest, odds are they've got more issues than the people being excised.

Fair enough. Music has largely been about relatively similar topics across all genres for the past 60 years or so. Perhaps it isn't quite the drug talk I care about as much as the lack of creativity in the execution nowadays; Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds is at least artful and somewhat subtle with how it portrays drug abuse, but when the latest smash song in hip hop literally goes "molly percocet" for minutes on end, you have to question the appreciation for art of the generation that hoists it up. With hip-hop the change in culture is particularly astonishing, as you can track the lyrical quality slowly declining since the 80s and 90s. It's gone from Nas rapping about how 'the buck that bought the bottle could've struck the lotto', and Biggie painting his grueling and gory crime stories with the wit of a bestselling author, to the likes of Future, Drake, and Lil Uzi. Even Kendrick Lamar, who is a bastion of lyrical wordplay in the mainstream, is one in a sea of talentless peers who are being sold en masse to a generation that doesn't care anymore. It has gotten to point where, as I said earlier, rappers are now finding success by incoherently mumbling their words, which is about as far from lyricism as one can get while still talking. I can talk about music for days, so I apologize for the bloated response. As a musician myself, however, I can see first-hand how the industry is moving in a much more sterile, safe direction than we've seen for decades, and I cannot understate how very much it is a detriment to music culture.

When it comes to slang, it definitely has been used before. But again, not in this capacity. #culture has taken over #everything. Why construct grammatically correct, coherently worded sentences when we can just take the main word or two and #forgetaboutit?! This is abuse of abbreviations and slang to the point where it actually illustrates a demonstrable effect on people's writing ability. The decline in IQ from generation to generation has continued(http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/BRBAKER/), even though we have the internet. We're getting simpler and simpler, listening to simpler music and writing simpler phrases. As they say; art reflects life.

Your exodus bit is a bid to the populous. Logical fallacy, and also untrue. Would you like to see all the areas in which millennials do much worse than previous generations?
-Lower lifespan http://www.shfwire.com/millennials-facing-shorter-life-expectancy-due-obesity/(due to obesity too, which is absolutely shameful and indefensible considering that right now in other places people are desperately fighting starvation)
-Lower marriage rate http://www.bentley.edu/impact/articles/nowuknow-why-millennials-refuse-get-married
-Lower child-birth ratehttps://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/04/millenials-not-having-babies/391721/
-Lower home-ownership ratehttp://www.businessinsider.com/millennials-are-just-as-likely-to-live-with-their-parents-as-they-are-to-own-a-home-2015-11
-Lower earningshttps://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/?toURL=https://www.forbes.com/sites/jmaureenhenderson/2013/11/30/millennials-earn-less-than-their-parents-and-the-recession-isnt-to-blame/&refURL=https://www.google.com/&referrer=https://www.google.com/
Please come up with another wannabe philosophical statement about how I'm the crazy one for pointing all of this out or I will excise you.
Obviously the financial crisis of 2008 plays a major role in these numbers, and what we see in culture reflects the abysmal state of millennials today. Please bear in mind that I do not think the culture is causing this mess. It is very much the other way around; I choose to attack the culture because it's the most noticeable sore.
P.S: read this over and i may have come off a bit... aggressive. no harm meant bro

Not offended at all, but I will offer some insights into your statistics (some of which are brought up in the articles you posted):
Lifespan - Obesity is definitely a shame and while I won't make excuses for the behaviors of individuals, but the fact that many of the largest and cheapest restaurant chains and food suppliers have abysmal nutrition (again, created and managed by non-millennials) should be credited as a large factor, as do environmental hazards such as pollutions of all kinds but especially fossil fuel consumption (again, started prior though proliferated and partaken in by millennials) causing increases in various kind of cancers (which hasn't quite hit millennials yet, but will the longer we live, unless we get cures and not just treatments). It's really unbelievable the lack of evaluation for materials in production that end up being health hazards. Another thing to consider is, how much longer could we really push lifespan without human intervention (getting into the sci-fi made real realm)? It could be we reached near-max and what goes up must come down (its somewhat likely, but not the cause of the projected millennial shorter lifespan)
Marriage and child-birth rate - the institution of marriage is under a large microscope from this generation, I'd like to see numbers on millennials born from "broken" households (what good is marriage if divorce is high?) and the fact that this is the largest atheist population ever and marriage is rooted in religion. My parents had 3 children (none of my extended families have more than 3 kids) grandparents were married in their early 20s and had 7 children and their parents had ~12 children, more than a few of whom died young from disease or in child-birth. The world population is massive, and generally speaking as successful birth-rate rises (meaning the number of babies who are born actually survive the birthing process) people produce less children. People, women especially, are seeing children less and less as a necessity for a "good life" even though there is a common stigma and pressure for women to make babies. I don't think this is a bad thing at all. People are still having children, just not as many. Not to mention viable birthing years has been extended thanks to modern medicine so you don't have to have a kid in your 20s, you can wait until your 30s.
Home-ownership and Earnings - I don't see how you can't attribute that to the economic crises and massive student loan debt this generation is facing (again, coming from institutions in place where millennials aren't in power). Because of the large amounts of debt a lot of millennials have, owning a home in your 20s is unrealistic and well-paying jobs are largely locked up by baby-boomers and genXers who aren't retiring at the same rate as their predecessors. And the fact that wealth distribution among companies is extremely top-heavy now. There's the whole "chicken and the egg" argument brewing about whether the companies that pay their employees more are getting better work because of it vs. their getting better work from their employees so they're paying them more, but the distribution from top to bottom is pretty clearly **** in most major corporations.

I think these common staples of measuring generations is getting turned on its head. Lifespan is definitely a main-stay, but everything else can be chalked up to cultural shift that place less importance on those factors or just a delay in achieving them. I hope I didn't pass the buck onto external forces beyond our(millennials) control, but I think there are a good number of things that are the way they are and now we need to navigate them (and while we can do a better job, it's still an uphill climb).

As for your music and language points (each very valid by the way), I'd like to direct you to those Norm MacDonald quotes from my previous post to BW. I find it interesting that clever phrasing of the same intent is considered to be superior. I know I have my own biases toward the clever, but it makes me examine why and I've yet to find a good answer other than novelty. There might be a level of "stickiness" to new phrasing, but I'm not quite sure if there is more. (Also, that IQ chart you posted has the US - pink line - actually increasing in IQ...)

I understand and agree with your explanations of why these things are happening, but again, I'm not looking to blame the people. Millennials weren't born with intrinsic characteristics that lead them to lower birth and marriage rates, and again, people are a product of their environment. Maybe I just worded it badly earlier, but when I rag on millennials, I don't mean that these people just happen to be terrible - I mean that the environment from which they come is flawed, and making this generation worse. That's true of every generation and all criticisms leveled at them. As for the IQ chart, I'm not only talking about Americans, and Europe and Australia's average IQs have dropped to the point where it offsets the very marginal improvement in the U.S. You don't see it on the graph, however.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,483

Re:Community thread 

Post#1182 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:13 pm

MrMiyagi wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
He made a great post, but I will say this content creation and cell phones have made many people from all generations not stop and actually think any more. It's not just millenials but they are growing up with it...the same people who wanted mindless interaction from past generations now have it at the fingertips and are worse.

Every day I drive by someone wondering why they are going slow or whatever and then see them looking at their phone. And no, hip hop hasn't always been about sex and drugs...there was always a lot of it out there, but there were good topics too, such as...

I get that not every song has to be about having sex or getting high, but to dismiss popular music of this generation as being worse because of those topics is to be ignorant of popular music/art(poetry for those we don't have surviving lyrical music) from the decades, centuries and even millennia past.

As far as people checking their phones while driving - yes it is a very dangerous practice and I do not condone it - I think people forget that when people are looking at their phones while driving, they usually are communicating with someone on the other end (if not navigating). Most of the time, it's no different than chatting with someone in the car... except the person isn't in the car. Now, I'm not going to say that texting is the same as face to face interaction, but I text friends and family all the time about things both significant and not so significant but things that are usually funny or relevant to that person and our relationship. I assume you do the same thing with your friends and family. Hell, even here with almost total strangers linked a shared interest in a basketball team we're communicating frequently in what we've come to deem as a fulfilling manner. Why then would you characterize someone else's interactions via similar means as "mindless interactions"?

And I hope I'm not badgering here, as I find myself making bad assumptions similar to this a lot and I have to actively try to analyze my own behavior to see if I can understand someone else's.

Norm MacDonald - whose comedy I'm not a huge fan of interestingly enough - as some interesting insights that I find myself checking my thoughts against:

ESQ: You used to write for Roseanne. Why isn't there a popular, or even decent, sitcom about working-class people anymore?

NM: I don't know what happened there. It seems one comes along every once and a while, like The Honeymooners, All in the Family, and Roseanne. I think clever people think that poor people are stupid. And a lot of writers come from Harvard and such, and are rich, and they write under the misapprehension that poor people are stupid. So when they do write them, they are hillbillies or rednecks or Christian idiots.
http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/interviews/a9760/norm-macdonald-sports-show-5552106/

AVC: How important is it to you to be original?

NM: Kind of all-important. I’m not original, but I strive toward it as much as possible. I tried really hard on Weekend Update to do something that I considered original, which was, I tried to cut all cleverness out of the joke. I’ve always been very averse to innuendo, especially sexual. I find it cowardly or something. Like on Will & Grace, my mother will laugh at it, then I’m like, “You know what that joke’s about, right? Like, that one guy **** that guy in the ass.” And then she’s aghast, and I’m like, “That’s what he just said when he talked about the tunnel! So why didn’t he just say it?” It always maddens me that people can laugh at sexual innuendo, then you say what it really means, and they’re like “Ah! I can’t hear that!” So on Update, the only real original thing was trying to take away the cleverness of the punchline and make it as blunt as possible. And then I tried to make the punchline as close to the setup as I could. And I thought that was the perfect thing. If I could make the setup and the punchline identical to each other, I would create a different kind of joke.
http://www.avclub.com/article/norm-macdonald-54380

I thought his post was well thought out and interesting. It's not an undebate-able post by any means. There is good and bad music every where. That stuff doesn't bother me too much...the ratio may continue to get higher of crap, but yes, there have always been songs about that stuff.

I was just mainly talking about my pet peeves about attention spans in this era, and particularly people texting while driving....it's scary. But even going to an event or a function, you will find yourself amongst a group of people and everyone is glued to their phone. It appears to me a large portion of people (not just millenials), are glued to their phone, no matter what they are doing, grocery shopping, driving, walking down the street, to where they are not even paying attention to others or even where they are walking/driving.

I just think it's become too easy for people to get distracted and too many mindless activities to engage him that sometimes it may come at a cost. Sure most all of us engage in some. Sure, I'm obviously on realgm quite a bit but that is in my leisure or down time, not while I'm on the road or needing to get real work or research done.

I think I kind of took the original statements, which were off topic to the season speculation thread, even more off topic in my own direction.
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,086

Re: Community Thread - Introduce yourself if new 

Post#1183 » by oddity » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:19 pm

bigfoot wrote:I do find it interesting that the average IQ over time is decreasing ... Except that it probably isn't !!

Personally, I find it hard to believe a student assignment for a Sociology 110 class ... http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/BRBAKER/ is an authoritative reference. It does happens to be the top hit for google when searching for average world IQ over time. What I find really astounding is a couple of bloggers have latched onto Brendan Baker's assignment and used it to support their claims in the blogs going so far as to even call out Baker as a professor at Hartford University.

I'm more inclined to believe a peer reviewed/moderated site such as wikipedia. For example, the "Flynn Effect" mostly supports increasing IQ over time and goes into some of the causes but also suggests a decreasing/stagnating IQ as well. I suspect there is some type of middle ground and maybe not even a real solid answer ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect.

Standardized test scores have increased, but the Flynn Effect can easily be explained by the substantial increase in the wealth of information and test taking techniques over time. http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/rising-scores-on-intelligence-tests/2
We have no definitive way of measuring intelligence, so it may not be possible to determine whether we actually are more or less intelligent, but it isn't looking too good, at least for creative thinking: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10400419.2011.627805
(whichwouldhelpexplainwhythemusicisgarbage)
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,089

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Music, Tech, Gaming 

Post#1184 » by SlovenianDragon » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 am

So I don't know where else to post this and this about the only forum I come to...

I went to Albertsons today and When I got in my car and started to roll back I noticed another car behind me started to roll back so I decided to wait for them to do there ****. But then they just kept coming so I started honking and I guess they didn't hear all my honks and they put their car into the back of mine and then **** drove off.....Prob some old **** who shouldn't have a license....Wonder if they even knew they hit someone....

Just venting I hope insurance will cover it. But insurance are animals.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: OT - Media - Movies, TV, Music, Tech, Gaming 

Post#1185 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:10 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:So I don't know where else to post this and this about the only forum I come to...

I went to Albertsons today and When I got in my car and started to roll back I noticed another car behind me started to roll back so I decided to wait for them to do there ****. But then they just kept coming so I started honking and I guess they didn't hear all my honks and they put their car into the back of mine and then **** drove off.....Prob some old **** who shouldn't have a license....Wonder if they even knew they hit someone....

Just venting I hope insurance will cover it. But insurance are animals.

That sucks. I've had this happen three times. Though they never drove off though. Once I was just stopped behind someone in a spot, perpendicular to them, and I saw an old lady backing up slowly, and I started laying on the horn....ram! Somehow, nothing really happened, luckily, since I was on my way to the airport.

Another time, when I was younger, I was behind this big fan on a residential street, and it stopped in front of me so I stopped. And it sat there. Then it just put it itself in reverse and started backing up fast. I wasn't real close, so at the last second I tried to back up too, but too late. It was so weird. I half expected hooded men to jump out of the back with machine guns or something. Turns out it was a kid who hadn't been driving long and had passed the street he meant to turn on. He jumped out quick shocked and started apologizing. He was with his mom and brother I think and they were heading to the movies. The mom was pissed and so "No movies!" The kids were upset. This really messed my car up.

More recently it happened at work, and I saw it coming, and tried to start yelling at the guy, but he didn't hear me...I wasn't even in my car, but ram.

I did get hit while on a bike when I was younger and they drove off.

Insurance should be fine.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Re: Community thread - New posters introduce yourself here as well 

Post#1186 » by MathiasPW » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:39 pm

I crashed my cars more than 20 times.
None of them my fault. I swear.
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#1187 » by Golanator » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 pm

What's up guys, new poster here.

Live in Dallas, TX so I'm surrounded by Mavs fans which kinda sucks. I bought League Pass for the 15-16 season but it wasn't any more reliable than any old stream you can find on Reddit lol. I try to make it every time the Suns come in town and last year's Booker game winner was the most fun game here in a while.

I've only been to 1 Suns game in Phoenix and it was this one: http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=310318021

Own 2 Suns jerseys, an orange #1 Stoudemire and a white Nash. Bought a Devin Booker t-shirt jersey last year.

Other than that I have nothing, go Suns!
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1188 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:37 pm

Golanator wrote:What's up guys, new poster here.

Live in Dallas, TX so I'm surrounded by Mavs fans which kinda sucks. I bought League Pass for the 15-16 season but it wasn't any more reliable than any old stream you can find on Reddit lol. I try to make it every time the Suns come in town and last year's Booker game winner was the most fun game here in a while.

I've only been to 1 Suns game in Phoenix and it was this one: http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=310318021

Own 2 Suns jerseys, an orange #1 Stoudemire and a white Nash. Bought a Devin Booker t-shirt jersey last year.

Other than that I have nothing, go Suns!

Welcome to the forum! Good to have you here.
Buckles
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#1189 » by Buckles » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:46 pm

Born and raised in Arizona. Live in Tempe. Love the Suns.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1190 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:42 am

Buckles wrote:Born and raised in Arizona. Live in Tempe. Love the Suns.

Great to have you on the forum..nice to see some more people joining up.

Return to Phoenix Suns