bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Re: The TJ Warren Thread! 

Post#1401 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:15 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I do not know why people think that we are gonna spend all our cap space or go even over the cap. Like it is a must...come on.

We are talking about Sarver here, we usually have a low salary cap, and I am gonna expect the same **** this season.

We probably are gonna hear that we will have "cap flexibility" just signing Oubre (as a big star FA acquisition) and completing the roster with a couple of cheap veterans.

Just that...Warren was traded to avoid a high salary roster IMO.

We will see.

If we don't use our cap space and sign Oubre to a contract at much more than his cap hold, it won't leave us with much flexibility. We have, what, $14 million or something? If we use half of that, but sign Oubre to $15 million, it would leave us with less than $2 million in cap space.

We can (and would) agree to a deal and then execute later, once free agency has concluded. Much like with DLo, were we to go after him: we would agree to a deal and then clear the cap space.

Yeah, which is what I mentioned a few posts up in regards to if we had waited to trade TJ until after we agreed with someone on a contract to use the cap space, and other teams by then would know if they missed out on the big names and would be more likely to then take on TJ then after the draft before they get a chance to meet with big name free agents.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#1402 » by MathiasPW » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:43 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Not really, with the moratorium they could have agreed to someone and then found a trade for him afterwards if they did get an agreement. Anyway, they used most of the cap space cleared already Part of their big plan was Baynes.

As has been mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if he was ready to move on after the ever changing role though. Many players have seemed to want to move on after 4-5 years in Phx in the last 5-6 years. But more value very likely could have been had a couple weeks later. But it's water under the bridge at this point.

Care to explain a bit more? I was under the impression that you'd need to have the cap already cleared before making offers in FA.

You can talk to free agents June 30th at 6 pm and it goes for 7 days to July 6th. If they got verbal agreement on someone they could get verbal agreement on a trade after that and he could sign as soon as the trade goes through on July 6th. By then, other teams would know which of the bigger free agents were going where (most likely) and could go to option 2 or 3. And with so many teams with cap space, some players of equal on court value will likely get quite a bit more money than TJ and some teams would likely prefer to take on his reasonable contract instead.

Okay, but there is a difference between verbal agreement with UFAs and submitting offer sheets to RFA's, no?
Thinking specifically about D'Los case, we would agree verbally with him, but only send the offer once we have the cap free, and then give the Nets the chance to match. So basically give the Nets many days to try and miss on FA and then decide with all other pieces already in place if they want to keep D'Lo or not?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#1403 » by bwgood77 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:22 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:
Care to explain a bit more? I was under the impression that you'd need to have the cap already cleared before making offers in FA.

You can talk to free agents June 30th at 6 pm and it goes for 7 days to July 6th. If they got verbal agreement on someone they could get verbal agreement on a trade after that and he could sign as soon as the trade goes through on July 6th. By then, other teams would know which of the bigger free agents were going where (most likely) and could go to option 2 or 3. And with so many teams with cap space, some players of equal on court value will likely get quite a bit more money than TJ and some teams would likely prefer to take on his reasonable contract instead.

Okay, but there is a difference between verbal agreement with UFAs and submitting offer sheets to RFA's, no?
Thinking specifically about D'Los case, we would agree verbally with him, but only send the offer once we have the cap free, and then give the Nets the chance to match. So basically give the Nets many days to try and miss on FA and then decide with all other pieces already in place if they want to keep D'Lo or not?

Giving RFAs' offer sheets is still verbal until the moratorium ends. Then Brooklyn would always have a chance to match in DLo's case. But in regards to DLo, I think if Brooklyn is going to let him go, they will renounce him making him an UFA because it will likely be because they need to clear the cap hold to have the space to sign two guys. If they can't sign the two guys, they probably hang onto him. There is also apparently internal discussions that if they can't bring a second guy with Kyrie that they may not go for Kyrie at all and stick with DLo because of all the potential off court stuff and potential locker room drama Kyrie bring.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#1404 » by MathiasPW » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:25 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Giving RFAs' offer sheets is still verbal until the moratorium ends. Then Brooklyn would always have a chance to match in DLo's case. But in regards to DLo, I think if Brooklyn is going to let him go, they will renounce him making him an UFA because it will likely be because they need to clear the cap hold to have the space to sign two guys. If they can't sign the two guys, they probably hang onto him. There is also apparently internal discussions that if they can't bring a second guy with Kyrie that they may not go for Kyrie at all and stick with DLo because of all the potential off court stuff and potential locker room drama Kyrie bring.
Got it! Thanks!
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#1405 » by Saberestar » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:28 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:
There was rush to trade him. They wanted to clear him for space BEFORE FA starts, and draft night is the best chance to do that.

Trading him later would have been better to get more value, but would have ruined whatever big thing they are hoping to do on Day 1 of Free Agency.

I do not know why people think that we are gonna spend all our cap space or go even over the cap. Like it is a must...come on.

We are talking about Sarver here, we usually have a low salary cap, and I am gonna expect the same **** this season.

We probably are gonna hear that we will have "cap flexibility" just signing Oubre (as a big star FA acquisition) and completing the roster with a couple of cheap veterans.

We will see.

If we don't use our cap space and sign Oubre to a contract at much more than his cap hold, it won't leave us with much flexibility. We have, what, $14 million or something? If we use half of that, but sign Oubre to $15 million, it would leave us with less than $2 million in cap space.

Well, ok, we will not have much flexibility, but our payroll would be much lower. And that usually it's really important to Sarver.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#1406 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:40 pm

Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I do not know why people think that we are gonna spend all our cap space or go even over the cap. Like it is a must...come on.

We will see.

Well, ok, we will not have much flexibility, but our payroll would be much lower. And that usually it's really important to Sarver.

I think Sarver gets way too much flack for this. He has a reputation for being ultra cheap and that really stems from a small number of moves made during the height of the SSOL era (ie Kurt Thomas dump) but since then he's been fine with spending but unfortunately he's been spending it on the wrong players. So from a salary cap standpoint, he's been fine with giving up big money to undeserving players like Knight, Bledsoe, Chandler, Ariza and even resigning fat Dudley. Where he HAS cheaped out over the course of his tenure is in the front office and coaching staff. That's abundantly clear. But I haven't really seen any moves from a roster standpoint that was made purely to save money.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#1407 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:47 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I think Sarver gets way too much flack for this. He has a reputation for being ultra cheap and that really stems from a small number of moves made during the height of the SSOL era (ie Kurt Thomas dump) but since then he's been fine with spending but unfortunately he's been spending it on the wrong players. So from a salary cap standpoint, he's been fine with giving up big money to undeserving players like Knight, Bledsoe, Chandler, Ariza and even resigning fat Dudley. Where he HAS cheaped out over the course of his tenure is in the front office and coaching staff. That's abundantly clear. But I haven't really seen any moves from a roster standpoint that was made purely to save money.
Yeah he's like the text book definition of pennywise pound foolish.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1408 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:51 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Well, ok, we will not have much flexibility, but our payroll would be much lower. And that usually it's really important to Sarver.

Yeah he's like the text book definition of pennywise pound foolish.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

That's a saying I've not heard before. I like it though and yeah, definition of Sarver :clap:
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#1409 » by DirtyDez » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:20 am

So over this.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Wilber85
Veteran
And1: 2,421

Glad Warren is gone ! 

Post#1410 » by Wilber85 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:50 pm

Not sure why everyone is crushing over Warren. He scored and had zero defense at the position we were log jammed at ! He also was made out of glass . Yes the contract was a good deal for a guy like him but the suns have decided to go all in at SF with Oubre , Bridges , Cam Johnson

We filled the need at PG, PF .

Added Rubio (defense , pass first , hustle, smart)
Added Saric (perfect fit next to ayton)
The most underrated trade was Baynes

We also added shooters and smart Rookies

Warren was on a 19 win team! Time to shake things up!
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#1411 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 12:55 am

I still like Warren but if you told me before the trade that we would create some extra space, somewhat clear the log jam and added a starting level PG if we traded Warren, I think I'd be OK with that
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#1412 » by Fo-Real » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:20 pm

I honestly think if you plug George **** King into the minutes TJ played and gave him the shots TJ got the stats would be similar. I'm good with grumpy ass mystery injury RIP girlfriend being gone.
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#1413 » by cberry78 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 8:46 pm

I need a new avatar.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#1414 » by Damkac » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:55 pm

So Tobias Harris gets 36 milions a year contract while his worse rebounding version earning less than 1/3 of his salary got dumped for free.
Yes, that was great move by the Suns.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant

Post#1415 » by MathiasPW » Wed Jul 3, 2019 8:57 pm

cberry78 wrote:I need a new avatar.
YES! I've been willing to say this to you ever since Warren got traded now but didn't feel I had the right to and was supposed to respect your mourning.
SlovenianDragon
Head Coach
And1: 11,088

Post#1416 » by SlovenianDragon » Wed Jul 3, 2019 9:00 pm

MathiasPW wrote:
cberry78 wrote:I need a new avatar.
YES! I've been willing to say this to you ever since Warren got traded now but didn't feel I had the right to and was supposed to respect your mourning.

Gotta change it to cAsH CoNsIdErAtIoNs
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#1417 » by Saberestar » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:02 am

HE IS BACK!!! LET'S **** GO!!!

spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#1418 » by spanishninja » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:05 am

had to dig this up did you?

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man
And1: 1,579

Post#1419 » by Moochthemonkey » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:09 am

kek
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#1420 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Feb 9, 2023 7:10 am

I'm so curious if he's actually going to play here again.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns