ImageImageImage

The TJ Warren Thread!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Re: Trade & FA Ideas & Discussion 

Post#841 » by Years90Suns » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:49 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Warren starts if McDonough thinks he's worth $13m.

I don't think you pay a bench player that on an early deal, and project spending 40% of cap on one position.

We know they talk about Chriss at C, so Jackson would play PF long term.

I do not think anybody gives contracts based on the role he is going to have, but yes, Warren is our starting SF as Jackson is a rookie and we do not have any other player who plays the 3.
I believe JJ is not suited to play PF, neither Chriss is suited to play the C position.
We have two centers in Chandler and Len, although Chriss could see some time there.
May be Warren could be a PF due to the fact that he has no range other than lobs for 5 metres.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Re: The TJ Warren Thread! Just signed extension! Was it good deal? Vote in poll in post 835 

Post#842 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:23 am

Shoots over 50% from 2 as a potential volume wing scorer, not many of those around.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Re: The TJ Warren Thread! Just signed extension! Was it good deal? Vote in poll in post 835 

Post#843 » by jcsunsfan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:59 pm

NBA Players in the same salary range (11-13 million this year): Amir Johnson. John Henson, Jordan Clarkson, Nikola Pekovic, Courtney Lee, Austin Rivers, Derrick Favors, Kemba Walker, Jeremy Lin, Wilson Chandler, Deon Waiters, Solomon Hill, Nikola Vucevic, Zach Randolph, Miles Plumlee, Cody Zeller, Marcin Gortat, Thad Young, Kenneth Faried, Eric Gordon.
Walt_Uoob
Senior
And1: 403

Post#844 » by Walt_Uoob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:45 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:NBA Players in the same salary range (11-13 million this year): Amir Johnson. John Henson, Jordan Clarkson, Nikola Pekovic, Courtney Lee, Austin Rivers, Derrick Favors, Kemba Walker, Jeremy Lin, Wilson Chandler, Deon Waiters, Solomon Hill, Nikola Vucevic, Zach Randolph, Miles Plumlee, Cody Zeller, Marcin Gortat, Thad Young, Kenneth Faried, Eric Gordon.

That's helpful context, thanks. You'd have to put TJ in the upper half of those guys value-wise, though probably behind a good handful of them, so that supports the overall fairness of the deal. And if he keeps improving he certainly becomes a hell of a bargain.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#845 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Walt_Uoob wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:NBA Players in the same salary range (11-13 million this year): Amir Johnson. John Henson, Jordan Clarkson, Nikola Pekovic, Courtney Lee, Austin Rivers, Derrick Favors, Kemba Walker, Jeremy Lin, Wilson Chandler, Deon Waiters, Solomon Hill, Nikola Vucevic, Zach Randolph, Miles Plumlee, Cody Zeller, Marcin Gortat, Thad Young, Kenneth Faried, Eric Gordon.

That's helpful context, thanks. You'd have to put TJ in the upper half of those guys value-wise, though probably behind a good handful of them, so that supports the overall fairness of the deal. And if he keeps improving he certainly becomes a hell of a bargain.

Funny, I put his value above all those guys with the exception of Kemba Walker, and possibly Derrick Favors and Cody Zeller (the latter of whom I'd be happy to add in a trade... but of course, not straight for TJ. **** no. But I'm a TJ homer; always have been).

I think this will turn into a notch in McD's belt. I love TJ and look forward to him playing great basketball for us in the years to come.
Walt_Uoob
Senior

Post#846 » by Walt_Uoob » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 pm

cosmofizzo wrote:
Walt_Uoob wrote:

Funny, I put his value above all those guys with the exception of Kemba Walker, and possibly Derrick Favors and Cody Zeller (the latter of whom I'd be happy to add in a trade... but of course, not straight for TJ. **** no. But I'm a TJ homer; always have been).

I think this will turn into a notch in McD's belt. I love TJ and look forward to him playing great basketball for us in the years to come.

Yeah I pretty much agree but said upper half to be conservative. I think people could make decent cases for Walker, Favors, Zeller, Gortat, and Gordon being of even higher value than TJ. And homers for other teams would probably even argue for others.

One thing this quick list doesn't account for though is varying structures of these deals. TJ's deal averages $12.5m per year while some of these other guys are getting about that this year but with significant raises coming. Zeller for example actually averages $14m over the next four years and will make $15.4m in the final year.

Do we know if TJ's structure is flat or what?
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#847 » by Saberestar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 pm

4 more years @suns! God is great. Such a blessing to sign a 4 year extension with the team that saw something in me that 13 other teams didn't. Forever grateful. All love
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#848 » by Damkac » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:04 pm

Why 13 teams? He mean teams with cap space to sign him?
Anyway when TJ is smiling (kind of) then you can tell he is really happy ;)
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#849 » by Saberestar » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Damkac wrote:Why 13 teams? He mean teams with cap space to sign him?
Anyway when TJ is smiling (kind of) then you can tell he is really happy ;)

The Suns drafted him with the #14 pick.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#850 » by Damkac » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:55 pm

Ok, I thought he was talking about extension, not about draft day.
Saberestar
RealGM

Re: The TJ Warren Thread! 

Post#851 » by Saberestar » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:21 pm

“It feels great,” Warren said. “I enjoy being here, I love being here and I’m grateful to be here for another four years. That’s the main thing. I just wanted to be a Phoenix Sun.”

“T.J. has improved every year and we think he has the potential to continue to grow as he just begins to approach his prime,” General Manager Ryan McDonough said. “We view T.J. as an important part of our young core going forward.”

That’s in part because the Suns think the 6-foot-8 Warren embodies the position-less player they desire to create lineup flexibility.

Watson said Warren can play three positions, start or come off the bench as a sixth man, and that he can envision a lineup using Jackson at small forward and Warren at power forward because of Warren’s rebounding ability.

Watson said Warren's game “defies analytics.”

The Suns rave about the improvements Warren has made in his game. Watson said his 3-point shooting has become better in the offseason. McDonough said he believes Warren has improved as much as any player on the roster.

“Tony Buckets got way better,” Booker added. “He’s been killing it. I’m looking forward to seeing how good he’s going to be.”

“I feel the organization has a lot of confidence in me and they believe in me,” he said. “I just want to prove them right.”

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/706478001
Walt_Uoob
Senior

Post#852 » by Walt_Uoob » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:11 pm

This offseason is a solid A for the organization IMO. Looking forward to this year of development. The injuries are a bummer. And I would have loved to sign Len to a deal like the one we gave Sauce, but can't blame him for betting on himself and it's still possible we retain him next summer. Still down for trading Bled and/or Chandler, but no rush on that and I won't be upset if they play out their contracts here. All in all I'm a very happy camper.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#853 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Warren with a 3 point shot.
Booker playing D (of any real kind).
Ulis adding 10 pounds.
Chriss pulling down a rebound.
Bender getting minutes.
Len looking not lost.

Phoenix Suns dream list.
DRK
RealGM
And1: 3,590

Post#854 » by DRK » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:59 pm

TJ was our argueably best player on both end of the floor at the beginning of last season before his mysterious injury. Josh Jackson is nice, but the starting spot should be TJ's. I think Josh could really help solidify the second unit too
MrMiyagi wrote:Lob to DA for the win
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#855 » by jcsunsfan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:13 am

DRK wrote:TJ was our argueably best player on both end of the floor at the beginning of last season before his mysterious injury. Josh Jackson is nice, but the starting spot should be TJ's. I think Josh could really help solidify the second unit too

I do not know the solution to this. But you do not take a a player number three in a draft that is supposed to have 3 or more superstars and then bring him off of the bench. I have a feeling that TJ or JJ is going to start at pf. That is the only solution I see.

I gotta believe that JJ is better than Chriss or Bender. One of those two will be the center. The other will come off the bench. Chandler should not start or play big minutes. If he wants a role, he can have it on the practice court. JJ and TJ should be the forwards.

Tell Bledsoe to run. If he won't or can't any more, yank him and let Ulis push the ball.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,641

Post#856 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:20 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
DRK wrote:TJ was our argueably best player on both end of the floor at the beginning of last season before his mysterious injury. Josh Jackson is nice, but the starting spot should be TJ's. I think Josh could really help solidify the second unit too

I do not know the solution to this. But you do not take a a player number three in a draft that is supposed to have 3 or more superstars and then bring him off of the bench. I have a feeling that TJ or JJ is going to start at pf. That is the only solution I see.

I gotta believe that JJ is better than Chriss or Bender. One of those two will be the center. The other will come off the bench. Chandler should not start or play big minutes. If he wants a role, he can have it on the practice court. JJ and TJ should be the forwards.

Tell Bledsoe to run. If he won't or can't any more, yank him and let Ulis push the ball.

I don't think it's a given. At least it shouldn't be a given. I would like to see JJ/TJ at 3/4 but if we decide to start Chriss at the 4 and TJ at the 3, I would have no issues with JJ coming off the bench. Let's keep in mind, just because JJ could've gone as high as #2 in the draft, he's still a young rookie who needs experience. I don't see any reason why we need to rush him into a starting spot just because of where he was drafted.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#857 » by cberry78 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:21 am

jcsunsfan wrote:Warren with a 3 point shot.
Booker playing D (of any real kind).
Ulis adding 10 pounds. :nod: https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=58795979#p58795979
Chriss pulling down a rebound.
Bender getting minutes.
Len looking not lost.

Phoenix Suns dream list.

One down.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Re: RE: Re: The TJ Warren Thread! Just signed extension! Was it good deal? Vote in poll in post 835 

Post#858 » by HoopsMalone » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:13 am

Comparing him to kemba is unfair because that deal was signed before the cap hike. Obviously, kemba is waaaaay better than tjw.

A healthy favors is better, particularly if he were on a roster where he could play center, but again he has only one year remaining on his deal.

Eric Gordon is obviously better but is a huge injury concern.

Zeller is better and a more expensive position. Has similar injury tendencies as warren. His deal was also signed 2 years earlier.

I'm taking tjw well before anyone else on that list.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Re: RE: Re: The TJ Warren Thread! Just signed extension! Was it good deal? Vote in poll in post 835 

Post#859 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:22 am

HoopsMalone wrote:

Comparing him to kemba is unfair because that deal was signed before the cap hike. Obviously, kemba is waaaaay better than tjw.

A healthy favors is better, particularly if he were on a roster where he could play center, but again he has only one year remaining on his deal.

Eric Gordon is obviously better but is a huge injury concern.

Zeller is better and a more expensive position. Has similar injury tendencies as warren. His deal was also signed 2 years earlier.

I'm taking tjw well before anyone else on that list.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, obviously Kemba is worth way more, and if Favors gets back to form, him too. Gordon if healthy but you can't rely on that so I wouldn't pay him more right now. You could argue Lin also.

I still think Warren has upside and due to limited opportunities and unfortunate injuries/medical stuff has a lot more to show us and I think this deal is going to look very good.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#860 » by Saberestar » Wed Oct 4, 2017 8:49 pm

T.J. Warren extension:

2018/19 - $11,160,714
2019-20 - $12,053,571
2020-21 - $12,946,429
2021-22 - $13,839,286

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/phoenix-suns/t.j.-warren-15366/

Return to Phoenix Suns