Post#61 » by alldayeveryday » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:22 am

Halt and Catch Fire is also on my list.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,414

Re: OT - Media Thread 

Post#62 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:07 am

I see Last Comic Standing is coming back...this was my favorite guy from last year and he didn't even make the finals...skip to about the 40 second mark in the second one to avoid annoying intro...last one is the best.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0gMxrRZNcU[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CNcY6Atg7Q[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ0G3Wca3nE[/youtube]
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#63 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:04 pm

I saw Love and Mercy today. Now my favorite film of the year edging out Ex Machina. I thought it was fantastic. Paul Giamatti is awesome and should receive a supporting actor nomination. Paul Dano was great as well and Cusack was very good. I thought the featured review on imdb was spot on..
While I generally enjoy most music biopics, it's hard to argue with the fact that most of them tend to subscribe to a very familiar pattern. Every once in awhile, a film comes along that break the mold - Todd Haynes did it in 2007 with I'm Not There, which featured six different actors portraying Bob Dylan at various points in his career. That film's writer, Oren Moverman, offers a similarly unconventional approach to Love & Mercy, which hones in on two critical periods during the life of Beach Boys songwriter Brian Wilson.

We first encounter Brian (Paul Dano) during the 1960s, shortly before the band is scheduled to head out for a tour of Japan. Reluctant to return to the road, Brian convinces his brothers that he belongs at home in the studio, where he'll be more effective at creating the band's next album. The boys finally acquiesce, and Brian hires a collection of studio musicians to begin crafting what would ultimately become Pet Sounds.

Our next encounter with Brian comes during the 1980s, where he's portrayed by John Cusack. Brian meets, and attempts to court, Cadillac saleswoman Melinda Ledbetter (Elizabeth Banks), but she quickly discovers that Brian's life is not his own when she meets Dr. Eugene Landy (Paul Giamatti), his therapist and legal guardian. Landy controls every aspect of Brian's existence, from his diet to his personal relationships, all the while insisting that he has Brian's best interests at heart.

The film frequently cuts between these two periods in Brian's life. We see the depths of his imagination and creativity as he employs a range of nontraditional elements to record Pet Sounds, desperately trying to bring to life the music he hears in his head, and all the while sliding further and further into the grip of severe mental illness. And we see the results of that illness, as Brian becomes a timid, broken man, cut off from his friends and family, allowing himself to be controlled and manipulated, and never able to find peace.

Director Bill Pohlad does a marvelous job of illustrating the parallels between each on screen version of Brian Wilson, and both actors give brilliant, emotional performances. Dano in particular turns in what can arguably be called the best work of his career, perfectly embodying Brian's childlike glee as he excitedly flits around the studio, and capturing the anguish and desperation as his mind continues to deteriorate.

Unorthodox in its approach and admirable in its complexity, Love & Mercy wisely chooses not to paint a definitive portrait of a man whose life couldn't possibly be summed up in a two-hour film. By confining the narrative to these two specific chapters, we're able to go far beyond the surface and reveal the inner workings of a tortured genius, and shed light on a story that few people are familiar with. Love & Mercy is a truly exceptional film about the internal and external struggles of a truly exceptional person, and is one of the most emotionally resonant experiences I've had with a film this year.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lioWzrpCtGQ[/youtube]

Much of it revolves around the recording of Pet Sounds, which, by some is considered the best album of all time.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,675

Post#64 » by Qwigglez » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:37 am

I'm not sure if we have an official random thread, so I'm gonna post it here. Anyone interested in some vintage Suns coca cola, saw this on Offerup.
https://offerupnow.com/item/detail/29215537/coca-cola
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#65 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:23 am

Saw Southpaw today. It eclipsed Love and Mercy as my favorite film of the year. It should get some acting nominations for the oscars...best actor and supporting actor. Didn't see the Rotten Tomatoes score before seeing it...glad I didn't or I might not have seen it.

Reading the reviews on rotten tomatoes it's amazing how some hated it, some found it pretty good, and some found it great. The audience certainly likes it with an 8.1 and 81% imdb/RT rating. It may have cliches, but the acting is phenomenal. Gyllenhaal was great, as was Whitaker. The daughter and McAdams were very good as well.

I agree with this review the most, from the San Francisco Gate
We’re far enough into the year to be able to say that “Southpaw” is one of the great films of 2015. It’s a boxing movie that hits most of the stations of the boxing genre — the cruelty of the business, the devotion of the trainer, and the ring as the crucible of disgrace or redemption — but it’s nothing like a formula film. The experience of “Southpaw” is rather like seeing the truth behind the cliches, revived in all their pain and power to surprise.
“Southpaw” was directed by Antoine Fuqua, whose great credit is “Training Day,” but who has made all kinds of movies of varying quality, though his films are usually a little better than their screenplays. “Southpaw” is a great example of what can happen when you give a superior director a script that challenges him, that calls for something new and something more. Fuqua delivers a complete world and a sustained mood, with camera work that’s not merely arresting, but also psychologically acute.
At the center of it all is Jake Gyllenhaal, who was rail thin in “Nightcrawler” just last year, but now is transformed into 175 pounds of muscle. He’s Billy Hope, the light heavyweight champ, a man of action, not a thinker, whose feelings go deep, but whose anger is close to the surface. He’s a complicated man, and no one understands him but his woman, but she’s the ideal partner. She handles his business, calms him down, sees into his depths and makes him laugh. And because she’s played by Rachel McAdams, who exudes confidence and competence, we know he’s in good hands.
One of the first hints that “Southpaw” is something special comes in an early scene between McAdams and Gyllenhaal, in which they talk in their bedroom after one of his fights. The conversation covers lots of ground and goes from tenderness to contention to resolution. Screenwriter Kurt Sutter distills their relationship, their fears and their vision of the future, while the camera stays mostly on their faces, in gently hovering close-ups that take the viewer right into their intimacy.
Another early hint, a seemingly minor thing, is that even though Billy wins his fight, he’s still a mess. He’s coughing up blood and walking sideways the next day, and all the wounds on his face, which another film would miraculously clean up, remain with him a third of the way into the movie. This life is not easy. Even when it’s going well, it’s harsh and mean — and for Billy, things don’t go well for long.

http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article/Southpaw-more-than-a-boxing-movie-6399891.php
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#66 » by MrMiyagi » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:46 am

bwgood77 wrote:Saw Southpaw today. It eclipsed Love and Mercy as my favorite film of the year. It should get some acting nominations for the oscars...best actor and supporting actor. Didn't see the Rotten Tomatoes score before seeing it...glad I didn't or I might not have seen it.

Reading the reviews on rotten tomatoes it's amazing how some hated it, some found it pretty good, and some found it great. The audience certainly likes it with an 8.1 and 81% imdb/RT rating. It may have cliches, but the acting is phenomenal. Gyllenhaal was great, as was Whitaker. The daughter and McAdams were very good as well.

I'm still on the fence on seeing this one in theaters. I mean, it looks well done, but I couldn't stand seeing those commercials with Eminem whining "I am phenomenal phenomenal phenomenal phenomenal phenomenal phenomenal phenomenal phenomenal!"
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#67 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:00 pm

Saw Mission Impossible:Rogue Nation yesterday. It was really entertaining. Definitely the best Mission Impossible movie imo.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,628

Post#68 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 11:55 pm

oooost I've been waiting on the new Mission Impossible. I might check it out this weekend.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#69 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:19 am

I plan on seeing The Man for Uncle and The Gift this weekend. I LOVE the cast in The Man From Uncle. I think Alicia Vakander is the next big thing, and Armie Hammer and Cavill are solid. It looks like it could be the new faces of the future showing their chops. If you haven't seen the trailer...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ky4KPzKwY[/youtube]
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#70 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:30 am

Best weekend of movie theater entertainment ever for me.

First one I saw - The Man From Uncle. FUN movie. The cast, dialogue, sequences and humor are all top notch. You can't go wrong with this if you like spy stuff and want some great dialogue and cast.

Second one I saw - Straight Outta Compton...now this was crazy good to watch for me because I only halfway followed and like some of these guys and kind of new about some of this stuff, but not all of it, so to me, this was extremely interesting...to the point I was thinking about it the rest of yesterday, watching videos, reading articles, and then I woke up this morning thinking about it. Powerful movie, but I assume it's not for everyone.

Third - The Gift...WOW...spectacular thriller. Smart as they come. This is one you will want to talk about after seeing it.

All three of these rank very high on my scale. I only put Ex Machina and Love & Mercy ahead of these three this year. Southpaw was great, with fantastic acting and directing, but the two biopics, and then two great thrillers, one being sci fi, and a fun spy movie probably rank ahead for me. And Mission Impossible was great...the best one, and it still only comes up, at best, probably 6th or 7th on my list.

Good year for movies, and we still have others that may eclipse all of the above. Sicario is supposed to be great. Black Mass could be good. The Martian and Legend (Tom Hardy playing the Krays) both look like they could be really good. Even some comedies look like they could be really good like Sleeping with Other People and The Intern. The you have Star Wars and all the oscar hopefuls that will come out right at the end of the year.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#71 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:28 am

I'm keen for the Man from UNCLE. Might watch it in the next few weeks

Straight Outta Compton I had no expectations for but I read it received great reviews so I might give that a watch.

The Gift, I hadn't come across until now and it looks interesting. A bit scary but should be OK
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#72 » by bwgood77 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:48 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I'm keen for the Man from UNCLE. Might watch it in the next few weeks

Straight Outta Compton I had no expectations for but I read it received great reviews so I might give that a watch.

The Gift, I hadn't come across until now and it looks interesting. A bit scary but should be OK

The Gift isn't really scary...it's just a good psychological thriller...it's been compared to hitchcock. Uncle is pure fun. I am a little mad it opened when it did and didn't do well....because MI opened two weeks ago....if this opened in like March, I think it would have done much better...they set it up perfectly for a sequel so hopefully we get it. I think it might not drop off much in second week.

As for Straight Outta Compton.....I don't know if it is as great as I say for everyone, but it was for me. And if you are interested in learning about these guys, you might like it....definitely vulgar though.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#73 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:59 am

Yeah I'm a fan of NWA and Hollywood biopics are generally high quality but I was unsure if they would be able to do this right. I'm more of an action film movie-goer though so I may wait until the digital release.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#74 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:01 am

Anyone watching Mr. Robot? I think I am going to start marathoning that soon to catch up before the finale.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#75 » by saintEscaton » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:19 am

bwgood77 wrote:Anyone watching Mr. Robot? I think I am going to start marathoning that soon to catch up before the finale.

Mr.Robot is basically Fight Club Meet meets angsty anti-corporate coke addled Anonymous hacker . Maybe it up your valley but I quit watching it a few episodes after the pilot because of the cringey dialogue. I like nuance in my political critique.I did force myself in to finishishing True Detective Season 2. What a letdown. Vince Vaughn was simply awful in his featured role and it really lacked the magic between McConaughey and Harrelson
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#76 » by bwgood77 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:58 am

saintEscaton wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Anyone watching Mr. Robot? I think I am going to start marathoning that soon to catch up before the finale.

Mr.Robot is basically Fight Club Meet meets angsty anti-corporate coke addled Anonymous hacker . Maybe it up your valley but I quit watching it a few episodes after the pilot because of the cringey dialogue. I like nuance in my political critique.I did force myself in to finishishing True Detective Season 2. What a letdown. Vince Vaughn was simply awful in his featured role and it really lacked the magic between McConaughey and Harrelson

I'm about halfway through Mr. Robot. I like it. I'm going to try and catch up before the finale on Wednesday.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#77 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 6, 2015 6:25 pm

So I was trying to decide if I want to go to ACL this year, and was watching some videos of the main band I am interested in seeing. I watched this like four times before realizing the lead singer was wearing a 1993 NBA World Champion Chicago Bulls t shirt. No matter where you go as a Suns fan, you are reminded of our shortcomings.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwVrquxGSrc[/youtube]
plonden
Junior
And1: 124

Post#78 » by plonden » Sun Sep 6, 2015 7:29 pm

I'm a little behind the eight ball on this one, but Fargo is an absolutely incredible show. I ripped through the season in three days.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#79 » by bwgood77 » Sun Sep 6, 2015 8:07 pm

plonden wrote:I'm a little behind the eight ball on this one, but Fargo is an absolutely incredible show. I ripped through the season in three days.

New season should start soon I think. [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFVNi8gUEy4[/youtube]
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#80 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:16 am

Anyone watch iZombie? It's somewhat entertaining. I haven't started yet on one of my favorites, Homeland...anyone start on that yet? If so, how is it? Also I am a bit behind on Arrow and The Flash, which I have watched...not great shows but entertaining enough if you don't have the super exciting Suns games to watch.

Return to Phoenix Suns