ImageImageImage

Links to interesting NBA articles - Blueprints for teams

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,466

Re: RE: Re: Links to Suns or other NBA columns - Ceballos says 93-94 Suns could beat Warriors 

Post#81 » by bwgood77 » Tue Mar 1, 2016 7:10 pm

Bogyo wrote:
ATTL wrote:
Bogyo wrote:I was specifically thinking physical training (among others) to be honest. Somewhere I read about Currys training methods, and I remember being shocked by the stuff he did, and I did hit the weights pretty hard back in college ( I used to work in a GYM during that time, and got fairly educated about it). I dont remember the exatc weight, but I do remember that Curry is the second best in deadlift on the whole Warriors team, which is a total shocker to me. Iggy, Ezeli, Green, Speights, Bogut, Barnes? I mean these guys are pretty big and/or ripped.
This type of stuff helps on his quickness, strenght, durability, stamina - all crucial for his game, and shooting.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25207008/stephen-curry-can-deadlift-400-pounds

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yup, that's like it. I read a more detailed version somewhere, and I had this 400 pounds in the back of my mind, but I was afraid to type it becouse it's just ridicoulus. :D Tks for digging it up!

(as for Boykins bench pressing 315 - thats also an eye popper, but these really short dudes have it easier on the bench press a bit, as they have to move the weights a lot less. I alwasy sucked in that becouse of my long arms - I had to move the same weight up like 20 inches while the short dudes only like 10...)

I've mentioned this a couple of times, but this article was fascinating...

"He was turning his ankle in completely nontraditional, crazy ways," Warriors general manager Bob Myers says. One time, Curry turned it while hopping into a passing lane during a preseason game against the Lakers. Another time, he was dribbling upcourt against the Spurs, with no one around, only to have his right foot fishtail like an old tire on black ice. "It was scary," Myers says. "I'd never seen someone sprain his ankle like that prior to Steph. And I haven't seen it since."......

...When Curry eventually blacked out on the operating table, however, a rather remarkable thing happened. A recent battery of strength tests, nerve tests, X-rays, MRIs and CAT scans had all failed to resolve why his ankle kept buckling. But a set of stress X-rays conducted midsleep, when pain can't impact motion, formally ruled out any structural damage to the ligaments. A 1-ounce HD camera snaked into Curry's subtalar and ankle joints produced images of thick, sticky bands of scar tissue -- "like crab meat," Ferkel says -- as well as inflamed tissue, bone spurs and chips of cartilage. To anyone else, orthopedic seafood might be revolting. To Curry, "it was good news," he says. "The least intrusive outcome." A motorized device called a shaver scraped and vacuumed all of it away in less than 90 minutes. No zombie tendons necessary. Projected recovery time: three to four months.

Curry, Lyles believed, was already among the best in the world at changing direction. But the guard overwhelmingly relied on his ankles for speed and quickness. Those body parts appeared to be basketball's take on the mythical wings of Icarus: melting, as if made of wax, from overuse and ambition. But what if Curry could add another way to fly? "Shiftiness is an ankle strategy," Lyles explains, "but power comes from the hips. We wanted to teach Steph how to load his hips to help unload his ankles."

The best marksman in NBA history, perhaps unsurprisingly, turned out to be a quick study at exercise technique. "Steph's central nervous system is the best I've worked with," Lyles says. "It's why he's a great golfer, a great bowler, a great shooter." Curry swiftly perfected a yoga pose called the single-leg hip airplane, designed to build balance and core strength. He conquered the hip hinge, the fundamental movement of explosive lower-body exercises, in 10 minutes. He even mastered textbook trap-bar dead lifts, which amplify glutes and hamstrings, during his introductory session with Lyles. Other players typically need a week.

At first, a willowy Curry could deadlift a pitiable 200 to 225 pounds. But then the labor began: less a Rocky training montage, heaving with theatrical workouts, than a time-lapse video, comically dense with, well, time. "The man was always in the gym," teammate Klay Thompson says. "Steph just stuck with the routine. He works on his body just as much as he works on his jump shot." By Curry's second year in the program, his dead lifts could touch 400 pounds -- more than twice his bodyweight and second most on the Warriors behind 6-foot-11, 265-pound center Festus Ezeli. "Steph became more aware of how he needs to take care of his body," says his father, Dell Curry, a 16-year NBA vet.

The objective is never bulk; Steph prefers his weight at no more than a chiseled 190 pounds. Instead, both Lyles and Payne -- to whom Curry still entrusts his ankles in the summer -- harp on stability amid a storm of jumps, hard cuts and pick-and-rolls. For that same reason, some 90 percent of Curry's lower-body strength work with Payne is one-legged: single-leg reverse lunges, rear-foot elevated single-leg squats, single-leg dead lifts. A standard offseason warm-up involves standing like a flamingo on a squishy blue Airex pad as Payne obscures Curry's vision, sometimes with flashing strobe goggles, and whips basketballs his way. "Steph's core strength," Payne declares, "is second to none."

No one is better than Curry at misdirection through hip gyration, as when he thrice juked Kawhi Leonard on Jan. 25 before hitting a corner 3, transfiguring the defensive player of the year into a viral chalk outline. And yet that play might not have been more impressive than one seven days earlier, when Curry found himself the meat in a Kyrie Irving-LeBron James sandwich in the lane. He judo-tossed the 250-pound James onto the floor, broke free of Irving's grip, sprinted past a screen and drained a 3 in the time it took for James to stand back up. "The way Steph moves, 98 percent of the world would hurt themselves trying to run like that," says Warriors assistant GM Kirk Lacob, son of owner Joe. "I think people would pay to watch Steph work out."

There is a lot more to it than that... http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14750602/how-golden-state-warriors-stephen-curry-got-best-worst-ankles-sports
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Re: Links to Suns or other NBA columns - Ceballos says 93-94 Suns could beat Warriors 

Post#82 » by ATTL » Wed Mar 2, 2016 1:59 am

Curry uses the trap bar dead lift which is a bit easier than the straight bar IMO.
GMATCallahan
Suns Forum History Expert
And1: 749

Re: Links to Suns or other NBA columns - Ceballos says 93-94 Suns could beat Warriors 

Post#83 » by GMATCallahan » Wed Mar 2, 2016 7:37 am

Bogyo wrote:It s also pretty amazing how many long 2s he took (and made). Today half of those shot would be (step back) 3 pointers.

... right, that is one way that the game has really changed.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Links to Suns or other NBA columns - Dell Curry looks back on Steph Curry almost being a Sun 

Post#84 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 4:23 pm

CHARLOTTE – The Suns’ belief that Stephen Curry fell to them in a draft-night trade scenario in 2009 was unbeknownst to the Currys.

The Suns believed they had negotiated a deal for Golden State’s No. 7 pick and players in exchange for Amar'e Stoudemire. Their draft room exploded in cheers when Minnesota inexplicably went for point guards Ricky Rubio and Johnny Flynn with the Nos. 5 and 6 picks.

As it turned out, Golden State nixed the deal once Curry fell to that spot.

“We told Minnesota that Steph didn’t want to go there,” said Dell Curry, the ex-NBA standout who is Stephen’s father and a Hornets television color commentator. “We had no idea that they had agreed to a trade. Obviously, they couldn’t put that out. I remember (then-Suns general manager and now Curry’s Golden State coach) Steve Kerr calling me (the following morning) and saying, ‘Don’t go to the press conference. We have a trade that they reneged on.’ I’m like, ‘That’s between you guys. We’re going wherever they tell us. We can’t not go.’"

Dell said the Currys had reservations even about the Warriors at the time.

The Suns’ scouts considered Curry, a soon-to-be two-time MVP, to have the potential of Steve Nash, a two-time MVP, even then as he came out of Davidson. They did not dare to dream that he would be available at No. 7. The Suns had negotiated the trade, thinking they could possibly get Jordan Hill at No. 7. They wound up passing on point guard Jrue Holiday at No. 14, taking Earl Clark instead, because they thought they had Curry.

It's too bad Curry didn't refuse to go to the Warriors. Also it's pretty amazing that we were going to trade Amare thinking the return was Jordan Hill.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2016/03/01/dell-curry-recalls-suns-near-trade-son-stephen-curry/81191584/
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Re: Links to Suns or other NBA columns - Dell Curry looks back on Steph Curry almost being a Sun 

Post#86 » by saintEscaton » Wed Mar 2, 2016 4:41 pm

Well at least we had Seth
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,691

Post#87 » by Qwigglez » Wed Mar 2, 2016 5:01 pm

Dang my max deadlift was 415, and at the time I weighed 192. The weight was relatively light but my hands strength was weak.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#88 » by LukasBMW » Wed Mar 2, 2016 6:22 pm

Wow. Shows you how volatile the draft is. Steph Curry and Jordan Hill were available @ #7.

One is an MVP
One keeps the bench warm.

Wow.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#89 » by Bogyo » Wed Mar 2, 2016 7:27 pm

Whats new to me in that is that we picked Clark becouse we though we had Curry instead of Jrue.
That sucks as well, Jrue would have been a nice player to have around.
GMATCallahan

Post#90 » by GMATCallahan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:52 pm

By the way, back to the matter of the current Warriors' place in history, one curious note that I believe buttresses my earlier argument is the fact that while Golden State currently ranks first in Offensive Rating (points scored per possession), the Warriors 'only' place sixth in Defensive Rating (points allowed per possession) at the moment.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2016.html?lid=standings_team

Now, sixth is still terrific and arguably elite, and that ranking is more than good enough to win another championship. But for a team that is on pace, at this late date, to win 74 games and establish a new single-season record for victories, one would imagine that the club's defensive standing would need to be higher, especially given that their Offensive Rating of 114.1 (points scored per 100 possessions)—while exceptional and the best in the league—is not historic. (For instance, it is lower than that of the '09-'10 Suns, the '04-'05 Suns, and the '94-'95 Suns.) Indeed, when the '95-'96 Bulls shattered the single-season record for victories with 72, they did so by placing first in the NBA in both Offensive Rating and Defensive Rating.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1996.html

The Bulls, in turn, broke the single-season wins record of 69 previously held by the '71-'72 Lakers, who finished first in Offensive Rating and second in Defensive Rating.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1972.html

How, then, are the Warriors threatening to smash the all-time single season wins record without dominating the NBA on defense, especially when their Offensive Rating is over 1.00 points per 100 possessions worse than, say, the '95-'96 Bulls or the '86-'87 Lakers? Actually, the '86-'87 Lakers, who finished first in Offensive Rating (1.50 points per 100 possessions better than Golden State at the moment) and seventh in Defensive Rating, would seem to make for the better comparison.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1987.html

But that Laker team went 65-17; for the current Warriors to finish 65-17, they would have to go 8-11 the rest of the way. Clearly, something does not add up in terms of Golden State's record constituting a precise indicator of the club's historical value. Indeed, based on Offensive and Defensive Ratings relative to the league, the Warriors would be more analogous to the '92-'93 Suns (first in Offensive Rating, ninth in Defensive Rating) than to the '95-'96 Bulls, especially considering that Kevin Johnson did not play in 33 games in '92-'93 and his defense was absolutely smothering that season (precipitating the infamous brawl with the Knicks, for example), meaning that Phoenix's Defensive Rating presumably would have been that much better had he not missed as many games (again, primarily stemming from the undiagnosed sports hernia that he suffered during the preseason).

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTYQSYzf5Mk[/youtube]

http://www.databasebasketball.com/teams/boxscore.htm?yr=1992&b=19930323&tm=PHO

Indeed, what is a little surprising is that the Warriors are on pace to win the most games ever without being an all-time defensive team or even dominating the current league on defense. Obviously, their offense is the best in the game right now, but on a points per possession basis, it comes up far short of, say, the '86-'87 Lakers despite making far more extensive use of the three-point shot.

That said, Golden State is obviously a special team with the greatest shooting back-court in history and a true all-around player in Draymond Green who is sort of akin to a fusion of Jason Kidd and Anthony Mason. But at another time, the Warriors would probably be on pace for 64 wins rather than 74. (I came up with that assessment on my own, but if one clicks on the first link and and looks at "Expected W-L," the Warriors should indeed be on pace to win 65 games, meaning that they are far out-performing their statistical performance in a way that the '95-'96 Bulls, '71-'72 Lakers, or '86-'87 Lakers did not—those teams only out-performed their statistical performance by two or three wins.) Again, when there are thirty teams and at least twenty of them are mediocre-to-poor, and the league is littered with players who should either still be in college or never developed properly because they entered the league prematurely, significant record inflation can be a net result.
Sunsss
Analyst
And1: 1,074

Post#91 » by Sunsss » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:09 am

Run-and-gun teams tend to give up fastbreak points on the other end. (Warriors at 5th most with 15.2) Also they play a lot of blowouts, so their garbage time unit gives up a a lot of points. (this is also the reason for Spurs' better point differential as even their garbage time unit play defense)
Check the 4th quarter score for this game for example: http://stats.nba.com/game/#!/0021500381/
GMATCallahan

Post#92 » by GMATCallahan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:44 am

Sunsss wrote:Run-and-gun teams tend to give up fastbreak points on the other end. (Warriors at 5th most with 15.2)

Right, but Defensive Rating accounts for pace and measures defense on a per-possession basis, so a dominant defense should not be deterred in that regard even if it allows greater total points due to the higher pace of the game. Naturally, your implication is that the Warriors can really lock down on defense when they need to, and you may be correct, but the '86-'87 Lakers constituted one of the greatest running teams of all-time, and they only out-performed their statistical performance by three wins (according to Expected W-L, as observable at the appropriate link in my previous post). The current Warriors, conversely, are out-performing their statistical performance by nine wins (in terms of per-82 game win rates).

Your point about the defensive ability of Golden State's "garbage unit" is certainly plausible, but in the box score that you linked to, the "garbage guys" only played for about the last four-to-six minutes, and according to the game log, the Suns' offense fared about as well over the first half of the fourth quarter as during the second half of the fourth quarter.

Either way, one could argue that a team playing at a truly historic level would not give up as many points in blowout situations. After all, the '88-'89 Suns ran like crazy and led the NBA in scoring at 118.6 points per game, but even in blowouts or near-blowouts, they continued playing defense in the fourth quarter.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198904150PHO.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198904170PHO.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198904190MIA.html

That Phoenix team finished second in Offensive Rating and fifth in Defensive Rating.

A Golden State-San Antonio Western Conference Finals would certainly be fascinating and could suggest the degree to which the Warriors' record may be inflated.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Links to Suns or other NBA columns 

Post#93 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:40 am

Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#94 » by Bogyo » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:26 pm

A nice interview with Amare. Seems like he found his place and matured a lot. Happy for him, after that horrid NYC time.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/03/25/amare-stoudemire-heat-dwyane-wade-joe-johnson-lebron-james
GMATCallahan

Post#95 » by GMATCallahan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:23 am

Bogyo wrote:A nice interview with Amare. Seems like he found his place and matured a lot. Happy for him, after that horrid NYC time.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/03/25/amare-stoudemire-heat-dwyane-wade-joe-johnson-lebron-james

... good interview, and seeing him and Joe Johnson reunite in Miami is nice.

Of course, Stoudemire being Stoudemire, I found some of his self-statisfied quotations amusing:

... A lot of people have forgotten how dominant I was. ... But I do think that a lot of people have forgotten how dominant I was.

... I always went into every game trying to apply my dominance. ... I was able to maximize my potential.

To be sure, this sort of braggadocio and inflated sense of self is hardly unique to Stoudemire among NBA players.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#96 » by bwgood77 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:58 pm

saintEscaton
Lead Assistant

Report:Dragic Pledged to Re-Sign with Suns Before Being Traded 

Post#97 » by saintEscaton » Wed May 25, 2016 5:13 pm

Link http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/24/report-goran-dragic-pledged-to-re-sign-with-suns-before-they-traded-him/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo:
Sorry to open up old wounds but this just goes to prove that McDunuhoh didn’t make the best out of a bad situation of clashing egos, he brought it all upon himself after failing to realize the incompatibility of his assets and alienating player by turning them against each other to create a every man for himself locker room. IT was much maligned just because he requested to start as was promised. and Dragic did not in fact force his hand he preferred to stay but McD was shopping him long before he requested out. He didn’t deliver an ultimatum listof big market teams to squander our leverage, McD was trying to deal him straight up for Knight and he didn’t want to go to Milwaukee. Sure you apologists can gloat about not overpaying a 30 year old “one year wonder” PG and the “bounty” we got from Miami and hope Don Riley hangs it up before they can reload but that doesn’t compensate for the irreparable damage done to the reputation of our organization. McD did him dirty and its time for this Mo, Curly, Shemp front office to be held accountable for their blunders.

In other new a s Suns exec admits that Hornaceck never had a chance, although I am no fan and was tired of the excusesof him being dealt a bad hand. However the way he unceremoniously axed left a sour taste in my mouth. He was the convenient scapegoat set up to take the fall.

Link:http://nypost.com/2016/05/24/suns-exec-explains-implosion-hornacek-didnt-have-a-chance/

*Drops Mic Cues Frank*
Jonestown Suicide Squad

darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Re: Report:Dragic Pledged to Re-Sign with Suns Before Being Traded 

Post#98 » by darealjuice » Wed May 25, 2016 5:26 pm

I don't get it, what's your point? That we could have kept Dragic? That McDonough was shopping him regardless of if he wanted to stay or not? Who cares, every player is for sale except superstars, and he was far from a superstar. He barely even deserved his All-NBA 3rd team honors in reality. What's done is done, over a year later and you're still crying over a glass of spilled milk.

Also, people who are fine with the haul we got for Dragic and are happy we didn't sign him to an 85 million/5 year deal are apologists lol? It couldn't be that signing a 30 year old point guard to a 17 million dollar a year contract on a team that has no shot at competing in the playoffs right now is a terrible move right?
TheFire
Senior
And1: 913

Post#99 » by TheFire » Wed May 25, 2016 5:36 pm

*Beating a dead horse.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by saintEscaton » Wed May 25, 2016 5:47 pm

darealjuice wrote:I don't get it, what's your point? That we could have kept Dragic? That McDonough was shopping him regardless of if he wanted to stay or not? Who cares, every player is for sale except superstars, and he was far from a superstar. He barely even deserved his All-NBA 3rd team honors in reality. What's done is done, over a year later and you're still crying over a glass of spilled milk.

Also, people who are fine with the haul we got for Dragic and are happy we didn't sign him to an 85 million/5 year deal are apologists lol? It couldn't be that signing a 30 year old point guard to a 17 million dollar a year contract on a team that has no shot at competing in the playoffs right now is a terrible move right?

Keep telling yourself that. Its about the way he approaches business, he is interpersonally challenged scout masquerading a GM who can’t communicate. Its no coincidence that more players are voicing their lack of trust in him. Also lol as if skimming $15 mill by locking up the Knightmare actually matters when no one in their right mind will come here. Just watch that Lakers pick will convey in the Top 7 of a stacked 2017 draft or go unprotected
Jonestown Suicide Squad

Return to Phoenix Suns