ImageImageImage

OT - Current Affairs/Events/BLM/Politics/Elections

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 72,539
And1: 41,776
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

OT - Current Affairs/Events/BLM/Politics/Elections 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 5:19 am

I figured with the current events going on in Dallas plus the election coming, people might be interested in a thread devoted to any discussion people have regarding any mainstream news, and with this being a worldwide group of fans, this doesn't have to be U.S. focused.
User avatar
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,720
And1: 2,715
Joined: Jan 31, 2015
Location: The Sonoran
         

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#2 » by saintEscaton » Fri Jul 8, 2016 3:30 pm

Blue Lives Matter is a joke. The media coverage of the Dallas shootings has been unwatchable
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

Image
User avatar
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,661
And1: 2,791
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Location: Brazil
   

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#3 » by MathiasPW » Fri Jul 8, 2016 3:32 pm

Anybody coming over for the Olympic games?

Chill about the zika stuff. It's blown out of proportion like all those epidemics.

Worry about everything else though
Image
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 72,539
And1: 41,776
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#4 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 10:14 pm

MathiasPW wrote:Anybody coming over for the Olympic games?

Chill about the zika stuff. It's blown out of proportion like all those epidemics.

Worry about everything else though


Are you going to go to any of the events?
User avatar
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,661
And1: 2,791
Joined: Jan 02, 2010
Location: Brazil
   

Re: Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#5 » by MathiasPW » Fri Jul 8, 2016 11:04 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
MathiasPW wrote:Anybody coming over for the Olympic games?

Chill about the zika stuff. It's blown out of proportion like all those epidemics.

Worry about everything else though


Are you going to go to any of the events?

Of course not, that's for tourists who have earnings in USD.

I have a friend who is going to USA x Australia basketball match. That's a one in a lifetime experience for most. I lived 2 years in the US and had my fair share of NBA game experiences already, so really not all that worthy for me
Image
Gorilla Warfare
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,184
And1: 1,800
Joined: Jun 18, 2008
   

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#6 » by Gorilla Warfare » Fri Jul 8, 2016 11:55 pm

All I'll say about everything going on here is I'm jealous of the Aussie's on this forum. Seems like they have gun control figured out there. You know, non-existent.
User avatar
batsmasher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 3,284
And1: 2,231
Joined: Nov 26, 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
 

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#7 » by batsmasher » Sat Jul 9, 2016 2:21 am

Gorilla Warfare wrote:All I'll say about everything going on here is I'm jealous of the Aussie's on this forum. Seems like they have gun control figured out there. You know, non-existent.

weeeeew. All that was needed was a PM with massive cajones (went against some within his party), the lack of a stupid constitutional right (which is like saying everyone must have the right to eat Skittles) and a population less than a tenth of the size of America without weird af state by state laws.

I'm not all over American news, but I get the sense that you could even put a figure on the number of people that would have to die in a mass shooting to prompt national gun control reform.

Personally, I can't even picture a world where there wasnt gun control, and I guess it's probably the opposite for you guys. I'd find it so incredibly unnerving to think any given person on the street could realistically have a gun. How can you possibly trust anyone?
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 72,539
And1: 41,776
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 3:45 am

batsmasher wrote:
Gorilla Warfare wrote:All I'll say about everything going on here is I'm jealous of the Aussie's on this forum. Seems like they have gun control figured out there. You know, non-existent.

weeeeew. All that was needed was a PM with massive cajones (went against some within his party), the lack of a stupid constitutional right (which is like saying everyone must have the right to eat Skittles) and a population less than a tenth of the size of America without weird af state by state laws.

I'm not all over American news, but I get the sense that you could even put a figure on the number of people that would have to die in a mass shooting to prompt national gun control reform.

Personally, I can't even picture a world where there wasnt gun control, and I guess it's probably the opposite for you guys. I'd find it so incredibly unnerving to think any given person on the street could realistically have a gun. How can you possibly trust anyone?


Yes, it's crazy. The second amendment to our constitution, some 230 years ago, said people had the right to bear arms, and so many have hunting or just like shooting that they argue that every time anyone argues otherwise. We have an entity called the NRA (National Rifle Association) that must have a ton of money because they pay enough people off to fight against gun laws.

But it goes beyond that. You wouldn't believe how our country got divided between two parties. Over the years, what they were fighting for changed, but get this, one party is all about religion, no abortion, yet they think everyone needs guns. It's crazy. And the thing is, it's all likely propped up by idiotic talking heads on the radio influencing idiots into fighting for no gun control.
User avatar
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,720
And1: 2,715
Joined: Jan 31, 2015
Location: The Sonoran
         

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#9 » by saintEscaton » Sat Jul 9, 2016 3:54 am

bwgood77 wrote:
batsmasher wrote:
Gorilla Warfare wrote:All I'll say about everything going on here is I'm jealous of the Aussie's on this forum. Seems like they have gun control figured out there. You know, non-existent.

weeeeew. All that was needed was a PM with massive cajones (went against some within his party), the lack of a stupid constitutional right (which is like saying everyone must have the right to eat Skittles) and a population less than a tenth of the size of America without weird af state by state laws.

I'm not all over American news, but I get the sense that you could even put a figure on the number of people that would have to die in a mass shooting to prompt national gun control reform.

Personally, I can't even picture a world where there wasnt gun control, and I guess it's probably the opposite for you guys. I'd find it so incredibly unnerving to think any given person on the street could realistically have a gun. How can you possibly trust anyone?


Yes, it's crazy. The second amendment to our constitution, some 230 years ago, said people had the right to bear arms, and so many have hunting or just like shooting that they argue that every time anyone argues otherwise. We have an entity called the NRA (National Rifle Association) that must have a ton of money because they pay enough people off to fight against gun laws.

But it goes beyond that. You wouldn't believe how our country got divided between two parties. Over the years, what they were fighting for changed, but get this, one party is all about religion, no abortion, yet they think everyone needs guns. It's crazy. And the thing is, it's all likely propped up by idiotic talking heads on the radio influencing idiots into fighting for no gun control.



Well when black men are routinely getting gunned down by militarized police armed to their tooth, its no surprise why some don't want to concede to the state an exclusive monopoly on violence. Its ridicilous what happpened to Alton Sterling in an open carry sate, in AZ we have a bunch of vigilante groups who get a pass from law enforcement because they are on their side cracking down on illegla immigration
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

Image
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 72,539
And1: 41,776
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#10 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:01 am

saintEscaton wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
batsmasher wrote:weeeeew. All that was needed was a PM with massive cajones (went against some within his party), the lack of a stupid constitutional right (which is like saying everyone must have the right to eat Skittles) and a population less than a tenth of the size of America without weird af state by state laws.

I'm not all over American news, but I get the sense that you could even put a figure on the number of people that would have to die in a mass shooting to prompt national gun control reform.

Personally, I can't even picture a world where there wasnt gun control, and I guess it's probably the opposite for you guys. I'd find it so incredibly unnerving to think any given person on the street could realistically have a gun. How can you possibly trust anyone?


Yes, it's crazy. The second amendment to our constitution, some 230 years ago, said people had the right to bear arms, and so many have hunting or just like shooting that they argue that every time anyone argues otherwise. We have an entity called the NRA (National Rifle Association) that must have a ton of money because they pay enough people off to fight against gun laws.

But it goes beyond that. You wouldn't believe how our country got divided between two parties. Over the years, what they were fighting for changed, but get this, one party is all about religion, no abortion, yet they think everyone needs guns. It's crazy. And the thing is, it's all likely propped up by idiotic talking heads on the radio influencing idiots into fighting for no gun control.



Well when black men are routinely getting gunned down by militarized police armed to their tooth, its no surprise why some don't want to concede to the state an exclusive monopoly on violence. Its ridicilous what happpened to Alton Sterling in an open carry sate, in AZ we have a bunch of vigilante groups who get a pass from law enforcement because they are on their side cracking down on illegla immigration


Sure I can understand why people say that, and people often say "well if people were armed, the movie theater shooting wouldn't have happened" or they might say "if people were armed the Dallas shooting or shooting of kids at school wouldn't have happened".

None of those pre-meditated events would have been prevented from allowing guns...and I can prove it. Because they were not prevented and we do allow guns.

If there was a ban on guns, I doubt black men would get routinely gunned down, because there would be no perceived threat...or at least less of one (because there obviously would be the black market for guns).
User avatar
King4Day
General Manager
Posts: 8,575
And1: 5,292
Joined: Dec 11, 2010
Location: Pandora
         

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#11 » by King4Day » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:11 am

This thread is a reaaally bad idea. Given politics cost people friendships, and how ugly social media has gotten, I don't think it has a place in a sports forum.

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM mobile app
Formerly DarkHawk
User avatar
King4Day
General Manager
Posts: 8,575
And1: 5,292
Joined: Dec 11, 2010
Location: Pandora
         

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#12 » by King4Day » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:12 am

I'd suggest just having an 'off topic' thread and leave it at that

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM mobile app
Formerly DarkHawk
User avatar
batsmasher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 3,284
And1: 2,231
Joined: Nov 26, 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
 

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#13 » by batsmasher » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:18 am

Just for a bit more perspective: there is very little gang violence in Aus. Maybe a few kids stabbing each other here and there but nothing big at all. The only people who have guns that shouldn't are pretty much mobsters who have no interest in popping people off for the sake of it. So yeah, even the bad guys who use guns illegally only really do so for protection and status.
Image
de'aaron fox will be a hof'er, don't @ me
SunsBlood23
Sophomore
Posts: 105
And1: 45
Joined: Feb 24, 2016
   

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#14 » by SunsBlood23 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:18 am

bwgood77 wrote:
saintEscaton wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Yes, it's crazy. The second amendment to our constitution, some 230 years ago, said people had the right to bear arms, and so many have hunting or just like shooting that they argue that every time anyone argues otherwise. We have an entity called the NRA (National Rifle Association) that must have a ton of money because they pay enough people off to fight against gun laws.

But it goes beyond that. You wouldn't believe how our country got divided between two parties. Over the years, what they were fighting for changed, but get this, one party is all about religion, no abortion, yet they think everyone needs guns. It's crazy. And the thing is, it's all likely propped up by idiotic talking heads on the radio influencing idiots into fighting for no gun control.



Well when black men are routinely getting gunned down by militarized police armed to their tooth, its no surprise why some don't want to concede to the state an exclusive monopoly on violence. Its ridicilous what happpened to Alton Sterling in an open carry sate, in AZ we have a bunch of vigilante groups who get a pass from law enforcement because they are on their side cracking down on illegla immigration


Sure I can understand why people say that, and people often say "well if people were armed, the movie theater shooting wouldn't have happened" or they might say "if people were armed the Dallas shooting or shooting of kids at school wouldn't have happened".

None of those pre-meditated events would have been prevented from allowing guns...and I can prove it. Because they were not prevented and we do allow guns.

If there was a ban on guns, I doubt black men would get routinely gunned down, because there would be no perceived threat...or at least less of one (because there obviously would be the black market for guns).

If there were a ban on guns, wouldn't only criminals have them? Drugs (Cocaine, Meth, etc) are illegal yet criminals have those all the time. Just because guns may be banned doesn't mean criminals wouldn't have them, only that law abiding citizens don't which can't possibly lead to any good. After all, 911 isn't your first responder, you are. Now this is all my opinion and I understand you can have yours, (if you are for a ban?) but I think there are statistics that say crime has lowered in places where citizens more often have guns.

Also, I tend to side with the Republican Party on most topics including gun control although there needs to be restrictions, and when you say that we are for Religion, pro-life, and believe everyone needs guns seems a little ridiculous to me when a Democrat is against the death penalty (killing someone that committed a very serious crime) but are for pro-choice (killing an innocent life). I am not for "everyone needs guns" either as there needs to be restrictions so that people with a criminal, violent record can't get guns so easily.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 72,539
And1: 41,776
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#15 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:20 am

I appreciate the thoughts and understand the concerns as I personally hate politics, but given all of the crazy events across the world and elections coming up, I thought it would be interesting to hear people's thoughts. If it gets out of hand, I will delete it.

And feel free to not read.
User avatar
batsmasher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 3,284
And1: 2,231
Joined: Nov 26, 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
 

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#16 » by batsmasher » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:20 am

DarkHawk wrote:This thread is a reaaally bad idea. Given politics cost people friendships, and how ugly social media has gotten, I don't think it has a place in a sports forum.

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM mobile app

If it gets bad, ya shut it down, ezpz.

I think the majority of this community is smart enough to not see this as a boxing ring.
Image
de'aaron fox will be a hof'er, don't @ me
SunsBlood23
Sophomore
Posts: 105
And1: 45
Joined: Feb 24, 2016
   

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#17 » by SunsBlood23 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:22 am

DarkHawk wrote:This thread is a reaaally bad idea. Given politics cost people friendships, and how ugly social media has gotten, I don't think it has a place in a sports forum.

Sent from my SM-G900V using RealGM mobile app

I'd agree with you but as long as we have good discussions and not arguments and not let our emotions control us (although politics seems to pull that out of people more than anything) then we should be fine. Otherwise tho, this thread could lead to nothing good.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 24,763
And1: 12,844
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#18 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 8:44 am

SunsBlood23 wrote:If there were a ban on guns, wouldn't only criminals have them? Drugs (Cocaine, Meth, etc) are illegal yet criminals have those all the time. Just because guns may be banned doesn't mean criminals wouldn't have them, only that law abiding citizens don't which can't possibly lead to any good. After all, 911 isn't your first responder, you are. Now this is all my opinion and I understand you can have yours, (if you are for a ban?) but I think there are statistics that say crime has lowered in places where citizens more often have guns.

Also, I tend to side with the Republican Party on most topics including gun control although there needs to be restrictions, and when you say that we are for Religion, pro-life, and believe everyone needs guns seems a little ridiculous to me when a Democrat is against the death penalty (killing someone that committed a very serious crime) but are for pro-choice (killing an innocent life). I am not for "everyone needs guns" either as there needs to be restrictions so that people with a criminal, violent record can't get guns so easily.

I don't know if there is any data backing my opinion but my feeling is that in majority of violent cases, it's generally criminals against rival criminals. That's the case in Australia anyway. Gun laws are super strict here so the only one with guns are usually those have procured it illegally (criminals) but in the vast majority of cases where guns are used, it's almost completely isolated to gang violence. The gang issues aren't nearly on the same level as over in the US but it makes sense that the only times guns are used it's between criminals. And even when it comes to criminals, there are still very few gun crimes because guns are hard to obtain even for them.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 72,539
And1: 41,776
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#19 » by bwgood77 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 12:58 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
SunsBlood23 wrote:If there were a ban on guns, wouldn't only criminals have them? Drugs (Cocaine, Meth, etc) are illegal yet criminals have those all the time. Just because guns may be banned doesn't mean criminals wouldn't have them, only that law abiding citizens don't which can't possibly lead to any good. After all, 911 isn't your first responder, you are. Now this is all my opinion and I understand you can have yours, (if you are for a ban?) but I think there are statistics that say crime has lowered in places where citizens more often have guns.

Also, I tend to side with the Republican Party on most topics including gun control although there needs to be restrictions, and when you say that we are for Religion, pro-life, and believe everyone needs guns seems a little ridiculous to me when a Democrat is against the death penalty (killing someone that committed a very serious crime) but are for pro-choice (killing an innocent life). I am not for "everyone needs guns" either as there needs to be restrictions so that people with a criminal, violent record can't get guns so easily.

I don't know if there is any data backing my opinion but my feeling is that in majority of violent cases, it's generally criminals against rival criminals. That's the case in Australia anyway. Gun laws are super strict here so the only one with guns are usually those have procured it illegally (criminals) but in the vast majority of cases where guns are used, it's almost completely isolated to gang violence. The gang issues aren't nearly on the same level as over in the US but it makes sense that the only times guns are used it's between criminals. And even when it comes to criminals, there are still very few gun crimes because guns are hard to obtain even for them.


Yes, criminals who had guns would be for the most part, gang related or drug smugglers, not the type that were normal people who snapped and went on a civilian killing spree because of mental problems.
SunsBlood23
Sophomore
Posts: 105
And1: 45
Joined: Feb 24, 2016
   

Re: OT - Current Events/Politics 

Post#20 » by SunsBlood23 » Sat Jul 9, 2016 4:45 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
SunsBlood23 wrote:If there were a ban on guns, wouldn't only criminals have them? Drugs (Cocaine, Meth, etc) are illegal yet criminals have those all the time. Just because guns may be banned doesn't mean criminals wouldn't have them, only that law abiding citizens don't which can't possibly lead to any good. After all, 911 isn't your first responder, you are. Now this is all my opinion and I understand you can have yours, (if you are for a ban?) but I think there are statistics that say crime has lowered in places where citizens more often have guns.

Also, I tend to side with the Republican Party on most topics including gun control although there needs to be restrictions, and when you say that we are for Religion, pro-life, and believe everyone needs guns seems a little ridiculous to me when a Democrat is against the death penalty (killing someone that committed a very serious crime) but are for pro-choice (killing an innocent life). I am not for "everyone needs guns" either as there needs to be restrictions so that people with a criminal, violent record can't get guns so easily.

I don't know if there is any data backing my opinion but my feeling is that in majority of violent cases, it's generally criminals against rival criminals. That's the case in Australia anyway. Gun laws are super strict here so the only one with guns are usually those have procured it illegally (criminals) but in the vast majority of cases where guns are used, it's almost completely isolated to gang violence. The gang issues aren't nearly on the same level as over in the US but it makes sense that the only times guns are used it's between criminals. And even when it comes to criminals, there are still very few gun crimes because guns are hard to obtain even for them.


Yes, criminals who had guns would be for the most part, gang related or drug smugglers, not the type that were normal people who snapped and went on a civilian killing spree because of mental problems.

However, in something such as robberies, break ins, etc where a criminal is attempting to steal money, property, etc, at least I would be much more confident in my own home if I had a gun and there was a break in as opposed to some kitchen knife or baseball bat. And in robberies in which the criminal has a gun and he wants money or so forth, what if a bystander happened to have a concealed gun and obviously the criminal can't see it so they think nothing of it and that bystander takes action and threatens to shoot the criminal if he doesn't just walk away and meanwhile another bystander may be calling 911 and nobody got hurt and no robbery occurred all because a responsible gun owner had a concealed hand gun that he used to threaten a criminal. I believe criminals are much more afraid of citizens with guns than cops because cops will go very far until they will finally pull the trigger where as if a citizen even feels their life being threatened, they'll pull that trigger in the blink of an eye.

Return to Phoenix Suns