ImageImageImage

OT - Current Affairs/Events/BLM/Politics/Elections

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

sunsbum
Veteran
And1: 3,166

Re: OT - Current Affairs/Events/BLM/Politics/Elections 

Post#501 » by sunsbum » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:Yeah, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, etc, control too many people's minds. Then you have people believing anything Trump said that made it 10x worse...all the people thinking there was cheating, etc. So glad we moved on from that..wish we could move on from Fox News and some of those radio shows that control the sheep.

I feel like my comment was pretty non partisan and your response wasn't. All I did was suggest people should think for themselves outside of main stream media and you immediately went on the offensive. Personally, I cut the cable TV years ago.
"Sunsbum is smart, well respected, and just seems like a very likable guy."

-Frank Lee
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 11,834

Post#502 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:51 pm

sunsbum wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:Yeah, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, etc, control too many people's minds. Then you have people believing anything Trump said that made it 10x worse...all the people thinking there was cheating, etc. So glad we moved on from that..wish we could move on from Fox News and some of those radio shows that control the sheep.

I feel like my comment was pretty non partisan and your response wasn't. All I did was suggest people should think for themselves outside of main stream media and you immediately went on the offensive. Personally, I cut the cable TV years ago.

The problem is that the MSM doesn't just exist on cable TV anymore. One could easily argue that social media and the rise of personalised bubbles/echo chambers is worse than those 24hr MSM channels. And just because you don't watch cable news anymore doesn't mean you don't get the news clips or headlines from those networks.

The Fox news audience get a bad rap because people see them as being in the "Fox News Bubble" but what most people don't realise and especially those who are even a little bit interested in politics is that they are *already* in their own bubble. The news clips they see, the articles that show up in their feed and the posts that gets retweeted/shared by their FB friends/follows are all a curated specifically for them by these algorithms which the social media giants have created.

So when I see others say, people should think of themselves and not look towards MSM, I *know* where these people are going when trying to think for themselves and that's unknowingly going back into the invisible bubble of information which subsequently confirms their biases. This is true for both sides of the aisle. I'm not going to claim I'm woke or whatever term is being used nowadays because my biases are confirmed everyday with the news I get from my own bubble and I do nothing about it even though I know that 95% of my news I consume is from one side of the conversation.

What I think is more important is to be able to discern fact from fiction, science from fantasy and being able to get at least half of your news from the other side. And when I say the other side, I mean not the far ends of the spectrum but centre-left and centre-right and between those two sides, find the commons facts being reported.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
cberry78
Senior
And1: 712

Post#503 » by cberry78 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:03 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
sunsbum wrote:

The problem is that the MSM doesn't just exist on cable TV anymore. One could easily argue that social media and the rise of personalised bubbles/echo chambers is worse than those 24hr MSM channels. And just because you don't watch cable news anymore doesn't mean you don't get the news clips or headlines from those networks.

The Fox news audience get a bad rap because people see them as being in the "Fox News Bubble" but what most people don't realise and especially those who are even a little bit interested in politics is that they are *already* in their own bubble. The news clips they see, the articles that show up in their feed and the posts that gets retweeted/shared by their FB friends/follows are all a curated specifically for them by these algorithms which the social media giants have created.

So when I see others say, people should think of themselves and not look towards MSM, I *know* where these people are going when trying to think for themselves and that's unknowingly going back into the invisible bubble of information which subsequently confirms their biases. This is true for both sides of the aisle. I'm not going to claim I'm woke or whatever term is being used nowadays because my biases are confirmed everyday with the news I get from my own bubble and I do nothing about it even though I know that 95% of my news I consume is from one side of the conversation.

What I think is more important is to be able to discern fact from fiction, science from fantasy and being able to get at least half of your news from the other side. And when I say the other side, I mean not the far ends of the spectrum but centre-left and centre-right and between those two sides, find the commons facts being reported.

+1000000

Each and every thing you just said needs an upvote.
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man
And1: 1,500

Post#504 » by Moochthemonkey » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:49 am

sunsbum wrote:“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle.”

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read it, you're misinformed,"

I wasn't making any claims about the veracity of what's on bitchute btw, just describing the type of content there. It may go against connotation, but when I call something a conspiracy, I'm not implying whether or not it's untruthful.
BobbieL
General Manager
And1: 3,505

Post#505 » by BobbieL » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:17 pm

There are some good journalists on Fox. Bret Baier, Chris Wallace, Sandra Smith - I think are all solid.

But when people think of "Fox News" - they think of the partisan Op-Ed-Entertainment folks like Fox and Friends, Hannity, Tucker, Ingraham and the Five.

CNN and MSNBC has its own issues - I have no idea what they will talk about with Biden. As literally, there were nights from Erin Burnett to Don Lemon - they would get "breaking news, robert mueller had a ham sandwich for lunch today" and all night they were talking about that, or Impeachment.

I think all three networks did a disservice to Trump and viewers by skewing coverage so much.

Return to Phoenix Suns