ImageImageImage

Marquese Chriss News, Discussion and Highlights (New Poll)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Re: Marquese Chriss News, Discussion and Highlights 

Post#381 » by bigfoot » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Well the Suns will have a chance to look at Chriss all summer, through training camp, and preseason before they have to decide to pick up his 2019-2020 4th year rookie option. If he comes into camp out of shape again I imagine 2018-2019 season will be his last.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#382 » by Revived » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:58 am

I think you have to pick up the option regardless.

McDonough gave up the stars and the moon to trade up for Chriss, it looks horrible if they don’t pick up his option. Plus his cap hit isn’t gonna stop us from signing some major Star FA that wasn’t coming here in the first place.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#383 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:39 pm

Revived wrote:I think you have to pick up the option regardless.

McDonough gave up the stars and the moon to trade up for Chriss, it looks horrible if they don’t pick up his option. Plus his cap hit isn’t gonna stop us from signing some major Star FA that wasn’t coming here in the first place.

Making any move because of how it looks is a losing proposition. If you made a mistake, own it and move on. That is what good GM's do.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#384 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:00 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:

Making any move because of how it looks is a losing proposition. If you made a mistake, own it and move on. That is what good GM's do.

Fortunately, that's not the position we're in. It's not like Marquese has demonstrated himself to be a bust. He's had a bad year, but he still has a lot of room to grow. I don't get why everyone's ready to give up on the kid.

For a time, his shot was falling. And despite his conditioning issues, he's still the best shot blocker on the team - and way, way better than Gordon. I also think he covers the perimeter fairly well. He's been better on the boards this year, too.

As I say, he has a ton of improvement still to make, and he's been a big negative for us this season. But the sophomore slump is a real thing, and he's a good kid, and he's so young. Just... chill. Chill, people.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#385 » by Revived » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:21 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:

Fortunately, that's not the position we're in. It's not like Marquese has demonstrated himself to be a bust. He's had a bad year, but he still has a lot of room to grow. I don't get why everyone's ready to give up on the kid.

For a time, his shot was falling. And despite his conditioning issues, he's still the best shot blocker on the team - and way, way better than Gordon. I also think he covers the perimeter fairly well. He's been better on the boards this year, too.

As I say, he has a ton of improvement still to make, and he's been a big negative for us this season. But the sophomore slump is a real thing, and he's a good kid, and he's so young. Just... chill. Chill, people.

Have you seen that Scott Bordow article on Chriss? I think that had many people giving up whatever hope they had remaining in the kid.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#386 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:40 pm

Revived wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:Making any move because of how it looks is a losing proposition. If you made a mistake, own it and move on. That is what good GM's do.

Have you seen that Scott Bordow article on Chriss? I think that had many people giving up whatever hope they had remaining in the kid.

If that's what put you over the edge, you're an unreasonable person.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#387 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:30 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:

At the same time we didn't give up the king's ransom either so I'm comfortable with McD moving him. I'm ready to give up on Chriss because I don't think he's a very smart basketball player and he hasn't shown enough motor or natural instincts to make up for it. I get he's young and all but personally, I've never really been a fan of his so if McD decides the best course of action is to move him as part of a bigger trade or even a trade for an asset we could really use, I'd be down for it.

On the other hand, we're not going anywhere fast so I'm whatever if he's still on the roster.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#388 » by Saberestar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:26 am

“They’re huge,” McDonough said of the remaining 23 games for Chriss to 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station’s Burns & Gambo Wednesday.

“We’re really looking to evaluate all of our young players, but Marquese in particular, you guys know what he can do in terms of the physical tools and the talent and the athleticism, but we’d like to see a lot of consistency over the last 23 games.”

McDonough alluded to the possibility of what Chriss shows in the remainder of the season influencing some decisions they make in the offseason.

“In some ways, if he’s able to show that consistency that that’ll help dictate what we do or don’t do this summer,” McDonough said.

http://arizonasports.com/story/1434036/suns-gm-ryan-mcdonough-last-23-games-season-huge-marquese-chriss/
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#389 » by sunsbum » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:12 am

Chriss has had 50+ games to get back in shape. Now McD is going to give him every chance possible over the last few months to dictate his future, balls is in his court. To be honest though, i don't think he has it in him.
Flex is now your father.
Mjee
Starter
And1: 2,160

Post#390 » by Mjee » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:03 am

Chriss is going to be traded this off-season
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,700

Post#391 » by Qwigglez » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 am

Chriss took everything for granted. He thought he could cruise through the summer and just chill out and his game would naturally progress. He hasn't worked hard and he just cries like a baby on the court. He kind of has that Dwight Howard mentality where he constantly plays the victim. Really unfortunate because after the all-star break last summer he was showing tremendous progress. Now, I don't even see him in our future plans. Same with Ulis, but that's another story.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Re: Marquese Chriss News, Discussion and Highlights (New Poll) 

Post#392 » by gaspar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:53 am

Chriss will be an above average starter in the future and you all gonna look stupid.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#393 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:50 pm

I think Chriss will be fine and a very fun player to watch that can do a lot of good things with his ability to finish, block shots and hit 3s (I know the latter is lacking this year but he's shown the ability).

The only question to me is how bad he wants it. Is the passion there?

Bender, for example, often lacks the fire that Chriss can sometimes show, but it feels like he lives and breathes basketball, and has that passion and has had a lifelong dream about playing in the NBA and will always work hard. And Chriss was playing football up until a few years ago.

Hopefully Chriss did some personal reflection over the all star break and comes back and plays like he did right after his injury. He has shown the talent is within him when is focus is directed the right way.

In most of the advanced numbers, he still comes out on top of guys like Bender and Jackson, but obviously the eye test shows things a bit differently.

If you don't have the focus and the passion you won't go far, so hopefully he finds it somewhere between this all star break and the summer and we start to see more of all the best things Chriss can provide.

Definitely not a guy I'll give up on before next season though.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#394 » by thamadkant » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Chriss is biggest problem is he thinks he can outplay NBA players through sheer athleticism and basic half assed moves.... not in the NBA.

He needs to use his brain... get his defenders to think he's going to do something else... deception.

And he needs to go HARD.... players like Amare, Blake etc... when they make their moves to the rim.... they do it with without a care in the world if the defender guarding them gets hurt trying to stop them. You cant do a mini spin move into 2 defenders and a clogged baseline and go 75% effort on a dunk attempt... and not expect to get stripped or get stuffed.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#395 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:30 pm

1UPZ wrote:Chriss is biggest problem is he thinks he can outplay NBA players through sheer athleticism and basic half assed moves.... not in the NBA.

He needs to use his brain... get his defenders to think he's going to do something else... deception.

And he needs to go HARD.... players like Amare, Blake etc... when they make their moves to the rim.... they do it with without a care in the world if the defender guarding them gets hurt trying to stop them. You cant do a mini spin move into 2 defenders and a clogged baseline and go 75% effort on a dunk attempt... and not expect to get stripped or get stuffed.

Funny, I think something like the opposite is true. He doesn't seem to have confidence in his ability to finish, he seems to think he's going to get rekt if he goes up hard.

I agree with your conclusion, though. He needs to throw caution to the wind and force the action on offense when he's near the rim.

What worries me most is his slow feet. I didn't think that was an issue with him before this season. He plods a lot more than you would expect, and he doesn't seem to be able to elevate the way most of us expected. Has any player ever missed as many dunks in their careers as Chriss did in his first season?

I think we need to declare the "Chriss as center" idea as a mistake and tell him he needs to get down to a mobile PF's playing weight.
Midnight_Suns
Pro Prospect
And1: 952

Post#396 » by Midnight_Suns » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:44 pm

gaspar wrote:Chriss will be an above average starter in the future and you all gonna look stupid.

Nah.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,700

Post#397 » by Qwigglez » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:23 pm

Midnight_Suns wrote:
gaspar wrote:Chriss will be an above average starter in the future and you all gonna look stupid.

Nah.

I will be more than happy to look stupid in this instance if Chriss did turn it around. I thought his floor was at least Markieff Morris in terms of stats with better blocks, but I don't even think he'll hit that now.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#398 » by thamadkant » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:26 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
1UPZ wrote:Chriss is biggest problem is he thinks he can outplay NBA players through sheer athleticism and basic half assed moves.... not in the NBA.

Funny, I think something like the opposite is true. He doesn't seem to have confidence in his ability to finish, he seems to think he's going to get rekt if he goes up hard.

I agree with your conclusion, though. He needs to throw caution to the wind and force the action on offense when he's near the rim.

What worries me most is his slow feet. I didn't think that was an issue with him before this season. He plods a lot more than you would expect, and he doesn't seem to be able to elevate the way most of us expected. Has any player ever missed as many dunks in their careers as Chriss did in his first season?

I think we need to declare the "Chriss as center" idea as a mistake and tell him he needs to get down to a mobile PF's playing weight.

He definitely thinks he can finish better than what NBA defenders will allow him to.
He should start to recognize space inside in which he KNOWS he can perform his moves and get a good shot up, rather than "plod" along into defences and then complains he doesn't get the foul calls.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#399 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:52 am

bwgood77 wrote:I think Chriss will be fine and a very fun player to watch that can do a lot of good things with his ability to finish, block shots and hit 3s (I know the latter is lacking this year but he's shown the ability).

The only question to me is how bad he wants it. Is the passion there?

Bender, for example, often lacks the fire that Chriss can sometimes show, but it feels like he lives and breathes basketball, and has that passion and has had a lifelong dream about playing in the NBA and will always work hard. And Chriss was playing football up until a few years ago.

Hopefully Chriss did some personal reflection over the all star break and comes back and plays like he did right after his injury. He has shown the talent is within him when is focus is directed the right way.

In most of the advanced numbers, he still comes out on top of guys like Bender and Jackson, but obviously the eye test shows things a bit differently.

If you don't have the focus and the passion you won't go far, so hopefully he finds it somewhere between this all star break and the summer and we start to see more of all the best things Chriss can provide.

Definitely not a guy I'll give up on before next season though.

This is why I have an issue. Your first sentence about him being fine, being a very fun player to watch in the future relies very heavily on this. I don't doubt his abilities or his talent but I have doubts about his passion, his worth ethic and also his potential to "put it together". Like I've mentioned many times in the past, every player that's had a chance to be something in the NBA has talent. You can't get to the NBA level (even getting on scouts' radar) without having NBA or near NBA talent. The issue with the vast majority of those who don't make it, is their ability to put it together. I have doubts about that because I do see him much of an athlete than a basketball player.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#400 » by Saberestar » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:16 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:

It is not that he lacks just one thing.

Chriss lacks fundamental skills. He can't create his own shot at the NBA level at all. No post moves.I don't remember him making even a baby hook. Not ball handling or passing ability. His touch around the rim in general is poor. And defensively he doesn't stay low on the perimeter and he jumps after every fake. All of those things (and a lot more) are not about passion, energy and bla bla...are about skillset and be a gamer.

And the other big important thing that he lacks is maturity and professionalism. He doesn't respect the refs and sometimes the coaches, he didn't train/eat well during the offseason, his body language is terrible.....so many things in that regard that are not a good sign.

He needs to improve a lot during this summer to be a decent player in the NBA. He has for now the benefits of the word POTENTIAL, but that is not gonna be with him forever.

Return to Phoenix Suns