ImageImageImage

Tyler Ulis News, Discussion and Highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Re: Tyler Ulis News, Discussion and Highlights 

Post#121 » by cberry78 » Fri May 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Here's how Tyler compares to another former PG who couldn't shoot as a rookie (per 36 min to even things out):

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi#stats-per_minute::none
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,428

Post#122 » by bwgood77 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:30 pm

cosmofizzo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
cosmofizzo wrote:
Only because I know how you love precision, Tyus Jones is 4 months younger than Tyler. I'm also a fan of him, FWIW. But a player's rookie 3FG% shouldn't really be assumed to represent how they will shoot for their careers. Kawhi was supposed to be a terrible shooter, and look now. So when you point to DJJ's % or Tyler's, I tend to roll my eyes. It would be a different deal if they were in their fourth years.

Kawhi's rookie year, he shot 37.6% from 3. This year he shot 38.1%. Last year he had kind of an outlier year at over 44%. Kawhi wasn't that bad. I guess I forgot to post the comparison with Tyus Jones. He didn't shoot great from 3, at 35.6%, but much much better than Ulis at 26.6%.

http://bkref.com/tiny/F01zg

I think guys can improve their shooting, but I think when a guy shows he is a good shooter at a young age, that's better than a guy not showing it. Maybe that sounds crazy but I don't think so. My guess is that 9x out of 10, a guy that shoots a lot better at a young age than another guy will still shoot better down the road.

I like Ulis, but I'm not going to ignore the facts and pencil in guards that are 26% long distance shooters in as surefire future starters, particularly when they are vastly undersized. As a matter of fact, Ulis has tended to trend down as a long distance shooter as he gains more exposure and gets older. It will be difficult for him to get shots off at times, so it might not be easy to improve or be respected defensively if he doesn't have the ball.

Ulis appears to me to definitely be a long term rotation player and solid backup pg. He's definitely a great pick at where we got him and looks a lot better than other point guards we've tried like Goodwin, Marshall, and even Knight, but I look at the starters across the league, and I'm not sure I see him getting there. Most of the really good point guards can also shoot well, and the guys like Rondo and Rubio or are great at assists but can't shoot are often liabilities.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Ulis start one year while our players are getting better since he is purely a pass first guy and I think he would help our other players get better by giving them opportunities. It would also give us time to assess if he could start long term. If we draft Jackson or another SF and end up trading Bledsoe or he gets injured.

I think it's likely that Ulis is not a starter in the league. I just don't think it's wise to render judgment. Same with DJJ. Players improve.

Taking a look at your theory, I chose 10 prominent guards and wing players at random (3FG):

Isaiah Thomas - 37.9% rookie year; 37.9% this year
Jimmy Butler - 18.2% rookie (low volume), 38.1% sophomore; 36.7% last year
Paul George - 29.7%; 39.3%
Jeff Teague - 21.9%; 35.7%
George Hill - 32.9%; 40.3%
Gordon Hayward - 47.3%(!); 39.8%
Derrick Rose - 22.2%; 21.7%
Jrue Holliday - 39%; 35.6%
Mike Conley - 33%; 40.7%
Goran Dragic - 37%; 40.5%

You're more right than I would have expected. The bad news is that Devin Booker's a 34% 3FG shooter :D

Just assessing Booker by the numbers for the entire year, he's not an efficient scorer to say the least. But if you just take 2017 after the new year, he was much better. So hopefully that was due to turf toe. They hype machine is pretty crazy since he was an inefficient scorer and is not a good defender but at least we may have that turf toe excuse and he is extremely young. But if his efficiency doesn't consistently improve and make a pretty big jump this next year, that's not a good sign. But I guess we could talk about that in his thread.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#123 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sun May 14, 2017 2:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:
cosmofizzo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Kawhi's rookie year, he shot 37.6% from 3. This year he shot 38.1%. Last year he had kind of an outlier year at over 44%. Kawhi wasn't that bad. I guess I forgot to post the comparison with Tyus Jones. He didn't shoot great from 3, at 35.6%, but much much better than Ulis at 26.6%.

http://bkref.com/tiny/F01zg

I think guys can improve their shooting, but I think when a guy shows he is a good shooter at a young age, that's better than a guy not showing it. Maybe that sounds crazy but I don't think so. My guess is that 9x out of 10, a guy that shoots a lot better at a young age than another guy will still shoot better down the road.

I like Ulis, but I'm not going to ignore the facts and pencil in guards that are 26% long distance shooters in as surefire future starters, particularly when they are vastly undersized. As a matter of fact, Ulis has tended to trend down as a long distance shooter as he gains more exposure and gets older. It will be difficult for him to get shots off at times, so it might not be easy to improve or be respected defensively if he doesn't have the ball.

Ulis appears to me to definitely be a long term rotation player and solid backup pg. He's definitely a great pick at where we got him and looks a lot better than other point guards we've tried like Goodwin, Marshall, and even Knight, but I look at the starters across the league, and I'm not sure I see him getting there. Most of the really good point guards can also shoot well, and the guys like Rondo and Rubio or are great at assists but can't shoot are often liabilities.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Ulis start one year while our players are getting better since he is purely a pass first guy and I think he would help our other players get better by giving them opportunities. It would also give us time to assess if he could start long term. If we draft Jackson or another SF and end up trading Bledsoe or he gets injured.

I think it's likely that Ulis is not a starter in the league. I just don't think it's wise to render judgment. Same with DJJ. Players improve.

Taking a look at your theory, I chose 10 prominent guards and wing players at random (3FG):

Mike Conley - 33%; 40.7%

You're more right than I would have expected. The bad news is that Devin Booker's a 34% 3FG shooter :D

Just assessing Booker by the numbers for the entire year, he's not an efficient scorer to say the least. But if you just take 2017 after the new year, he was much better. So hopefully that was due to turf toe. They hype machine is pretty crazy since he was an inefficient scorer and is not a good defender but at least we may have that turf toe excuse and he is extremely young. But if his efficiency doesn't consistently improve and make a pretty big jump this next year, that's not a good sign. But I guess we could talk about that in his thread.

Apparently his EFG% was better than Durant's, Kobe's and Melo's at his age. So there's that.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,811

Post#124 » by Saberestar » Thu May 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Citing medical privacy laws, McDonough didn’t provide much detail on Tyler Ulis’ recent right-ankle surgery. The rookie point guard's rehab is expected to stretch three months.

“He played a lot of minutes down the stretch,” said the general manager, mentioning the shut downs of Bledsoe and Knight, as well as a late-season injury to guard Leandro Barbosa, "so it was more of a precautionary, preventative long-term thing than any acute injury. We wanted to get out ahead of any potential issues should they arise.”

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2017/05/18/nba-draft-phoenix-suns-lonzo-ball/329049001/
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#125 » by NTB » Wed May 24, 2017 12:03 pm

Read on Twitter
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
itlnsunsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 877

Post#126 » by itlnsunsfan » Wed May 24, 2017 12:34 pm

cosmofizzo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Spoiler:
cosmofizzo wrote:

Mike Conley - 33%; 40.7%

Apparently his EFG% was better than Durant's, Kobe's and Melo's at his age. So there's that.

In iso, he was one of the most efficient players in the league. That bodes well, especially for his age.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#127 » by Fo-Real » Sun May 28, 2017 3:47 pm

Saw this video and had to post it. The kid is so smooth and on balance, he seems to see the game at a different speed, smartest player on the floor. He throws people open, gets passes to people when you think he can't possibly have an angle to do it, and he is such a threat to dump it off to an open player in scoring position that you wind up playing the pass first and forget he can torch you with one of those running jumpers. SHADES OF STEVIE NASH!!! His on ball defense is stellar, the kid was a steal in the second round.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#128 » by NTB » Sun Jul 2, 2017 4:34 pm

sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,714

Post#129 » by sunsbum » Sun Jul 2, 2017 8:00 pm

Ulis would have won rookie of the year if Bledsoe wasn't on this team. He was 100% the steal of the draft. Hats off to McD for another touchdown.
Flex is now your father.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#130 » by NTB » Sun Jul 2, 2017 8:02 pm

sunsbum wrote:Ulis would have won rookie of the year if Bledsoe wasn't on this team. He was 100% the steal of the draft. Hats off to McD for another touchdown.

And Booker
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#131 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Jul 3, 2017 2:08 pm

I am really excited about Booker, ulis, bender and chriss.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#132 » by Saberestar » Thu Jul 6, 2017 10:30 am

“My progress is great right now," Ulis said. “I’m on the right timetable. In a couple weeks, I should be able to get back on the court, do a little running and jumping, things like that. I just miss playing. I haven’t played in a long time. This is probably the longest I’ve gone from being away from basketball.”

“Everyone loves to see Tyler play, including myself," Watson said, “and it could’ve been a great opportunity to take another step forward, but we feel like he finished really strong. He’s here every day. He’s rehabbing every day, he’s getting better. Tyler Ulis is beyond his years in basketball.”

Ulis said he’ll return well before training camp. And he plans to make up for lost time.
“This sets me back, but at the end of the day, I still have three months,’’ he said. “The season doesn’t start until October, so I have a lot of time to work.”

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2017/07/06/phoenix-suns-tyler-ulis-nba-summer-league/453952001/
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#133 » by Saberestar » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:15 am

Read on Twitter

More than 5 years ago, Devin saw greatness in Ulis. Good eye for talent.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#134 » by Damkac » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Make Devin our GM! ;)
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#135 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

More than 5 years ago, Devin saw greatness in Ulis. Good eye for talent.

"Say wha?!!!" --Eric Bledsoe
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#136 » by Saberestar » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:33 pm

MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#137 » by MrMiyagi » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:00 am

I really like those unis
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#138 » by jcsunsfan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:11 am

MrMiyagi wrote:I really like those unis

Funny. So basic. Probably the most plain our unis have been in all our history. Seems like we cannot get away from emphasizing that "upside down and backwards just the same" thing.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#139 » by MrMiyagi » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:14 am

jcsunsfan wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:I really like those unis

Funny. So basic. Probably the most plain our unis have been in all our history. Seems like we cannot get away from emphasizing that "upside down and backwards just the same" thing.

Maybe it was just because I didn't care for last year's jerseys except for the purple ones.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,428

Post#140 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Phoenix Suns