carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Re: Tyler Ulis News, Discussion and Highlights 

Post#65 » by Bogyo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:16 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good pass, but nothing special. You could (should) see a pass like this multiple times in an NBA game. Bad thing is that this is so extraordinary from our PGs nowdays that it gets noticed. :-?
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,701

Post#66 » by Qwigglez » Sat Mar 4, 2017 4:31 pm

Tyler Ulis in middle school being guarded by Andrew Harrison.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#67 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sun Mar 5, 2017 6:21 pm

Do we have a feeling yet for whether Tyler is ultimately a Super Sixth or an IT-level little man (starter; perhaps even an all-star)? Because the numbers he's been putting up lately look a bit more like the latter, and the fact that he was able to play significant minutes opposite Westbrook (with DJJ taking the defensive responsibilities) tell me that the latter could be in play.

Hmm?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,482

Post#68 » by bwgood77 » Sun Mar 5, 2017 6:51 pm

cosmofizzo wrote:Do we have a feeling yet for whether Tyler is ultimately a Super Sixth or an IT-level little man (starter; perhaps even an all-star)? Because the numbers he's been putting up lately look a bit more like the latter, and the fact that he was able to play significant minutes opposite Westbrook (with DJJ taking the defensive responsibilities) tell me that the latter could be in play.

Hmm?

He's probably a capable backup. IT level? All star?
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#69 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sun Mar 5, 2017 8:08 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
cosmofizzo wrote:Do we have a feeling yet for whether Tyler is ultimately a Super Sixth or an IT-level little man (starter; perhaps even an all-star)? Because the numbers he's been putting up lately look a bit more like the latter, and the fact that he was able to play significant minutes opposite Westbrook (with DJJ taking the defensive responsibilities) tell me that the latter could be in play.

Hmm?

There's obviously some space in the middle - I shoulda woulda said "starter" but my brain made the following leap: if Ulis is a starter at his size, wouldn't that require that he be amazing? Like 10 APG, one would expect? Etc. and so forth.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,823

Post#70 » by Saberestar » Sun Mar 5, 2017 8:20 pm

cosmofizzo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Hmm?

There's obviously some space in the middle - I shoulda woulda said "starter" but my brain made the following leap: if Ulis is a starter at his size, wouldn't that require that he be amazing? Like 10 APG, one would expect? Etc. and so forth.

I think that the sky is the limit for Ulis.

Nash comes to my mind a lot of times when I watch him play.

He uses his size to his advantage and his basketball IQ is outstanding.

His defense is good, he is a pest and he is not a liability by any means on defense.

I have not seen yet any player taking him in the post and making us damage from there.

Nowadays in the NBA it is more easy for an small good player to succed because the rules protect ball handlers and shooters way more than in the past.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#71 » by Bogyo » Sun Mar 5, 2017 8:24 pm

I get that we are all fans, and I'm pumped to see somebody with good bball iq on this team, especially at the PG position, but let's go easier on the kool-aid with Tyler (and Big Sauce). Pretty please - with sugar on the top. :)
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,483

Post#72 » by ATTL » Sun Mar 5, 2017 8:24 pm

Its not like many point guards have a post game these days. Tyler will struggle against the top athletes that can match his quickness and have the size to bother his pass. I think his floor is solid starter/good backup.
Watching him draw fouls on his **** is nice to see.
I don't think we NEED to draft a point guard in preparation for the inevitable bledsoe injury.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#73 » by Damkac » Sun Mar 5, 2017 8:45 pm

We need to draft a point guard in preparation for the inevitable bledsoe max contract ;)
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#74 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sun Mar 5, 2017 9:03 pm

Saberestar wrote:
cosmofizzo wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

His defense is good, he is a pest and he is not a liability by any means on defense.

I have not seen yet any player taking him in the post and making us damage from there.

Nowadays in the NBA it is more easy for an small good player to succed because the rules protect ball handlers and shooters way more than in the past.

ATTL wrote:Its not like many point guards have a post game these days. Tyler will struggle against the top athletes that can match his quickness and have the size to bother his pass. I think his floor is solid starter/good backup.
I don't think we NEED to draft a point guard in preparation for the inevitable bledsoe injury.

The thing is, close shots and three pointers being the superior offensive strategies these days means that if you can coax the other team into posting up your point guard, you're putting yourself in position to win. You're not getting your dunks and threes by posting your point guard - you're getting turnaround jumpshots against a collapsing defense and a pest at ground level. Be my guest.

I don't know if there's any scenario in which we'll see the return of a dominant post PG any time soon. That's part of the reason I'm starting to think that Ulis's size may not be a cap on his potential. I still worry about what great coaching could do to a Ulis-led team in a seven game series. We may see.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#75 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sun Mar 5, 2017 11:59 pm

Bogyo wrote:I get that we are all fans, and I'm pumped to see somebody with good bball iq on this team, especially at the PG position, but let's go easier on the kool-aid with Tyler (and Big Sauce). Pretty please - with sugar on the top. :)

Halfway through the BOS/PHX game...

How about now? Can we all agree that Tyler's kool-aid is tasty now?
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#76 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Mon Mar 6, 2017 12:53 am

cosmofizzo wrote:
Bogyo wrote:I get that we are all fans, and I'm pumped to see somebody with good bball iq on this team, especially at the PG position, but let's go easier on the kool-aid with Tyler (and Big Sauce). Pretty please - with sugar on the top. :)

Halfway through the BOS/PHX game...

How about now? Can we all agree that Tyler's kool-aid is tasty now?

Just finished the BOS/PHX game...

How about now?
Hesh
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,142

Post#77 » by Hesh » Mon Mar 6, 2017 9:07 am

Has everybody seen this? Sorry if it's been posted already. Ulis himself has seen it and says its hilarious and accurate :lol:

Skip to the 2minute mark

NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#78 » by NTB » Mon Mar 6, 2017 12:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Re: RE: Re: Tyler Ulis News, Discussion and Highlights 

Post#79 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Mar 6, 2017 2:29 pm

cosmofizzo wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
cosmofizzo wrote:

ATTL wrote:Its not like many point guards have a post game these days. Tyler will struggle against the top athletes that can match his quickness and have the size to bother his pass. I think his floor is solid starter/good backup.

The thing is, close shots and three pointers being the superior offensive strategies these days means that if you can coax the other team into posting up your point guard, you're putting yourself in position to win. You're not getting your dunks and threes by posting your point guard - you're getting turnaround jumpshots against a collapsing defense and a pest at ground level. Be my guest.

I don't know if there's any scenario in which we'll see the return of a dominant post PG any time soon. That's part of the reason I'm starting to think that Ulis's size may not be a cap on his potential. I still worry about what great coaching could do to a Ulis-led team in a seven game series. We may see.

Your last point about playoff matchups is what always concerns me with these super small starting pgs. You could run into a pg/coach combo in some series where they take advantage of that matchup over and over and make the little pg nearly unplayable. This would scare me if I'm a boston fan.

Now i will say ulis might be the best under 6 foot defender I've ever seen so maybe he can overcome this.

Overall its going to be interesting to see how he adjusts as teams start to actually scout and game plan him. But thats an adjustment all young guys have to face. Hes been great and you can't teach his natural feel for the game so im optimistic overall. Still think he will nees to develop a consistent 3pt shot to really take off as a player but if he does look out because at that point he would become a nightmare to guard.

Even if he is only a really good backup longterm that's still a win for the suns with a second rounder and a good backup pg can have a big impact on the team as we've seen the last few games.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: Tyler Ulis News, Discussion and Highlights 

Post#80 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Mon Mar 6, 2017 2:48 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
cosmofizzo wrote:
Saberestar wrote:I think that the sky is the limit for Ulis.

Your last point about playoff matchups is what always concerns me with these super small starting pgs. You could run into a pg/coach combo in some series where they take advantage of that matchup over and over and make the little pg nearly unplayable. This would scare me if I'm a boston fan.

Now i will say ulis might be the best under 6 foot defender I've ever seen so maybe he can overcome this.

Overall its going to be interesting to see how he adjusts as teams start to actually scout and game plan him. But thats an adjustment all young guys have to face. Hes been great and you can't teach his natural feel for the game so im optimistic overall. Still think he will nees to develop a consistent 3pt shot to really take off as a player but if he does look out because at that point he would become a nightmare to guard.

Even if he is only a really good backup longterm that's still a win for the suns with a second rounder and a good backup pg can have a big impact on the team as we've seen the last few games.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

I've thought he's been pretty dependable from 3, usually knocks them down when wide open. What he doesn't appear eager to do is take them when he doesn't have a lot of space or - like other undersized guards - from 30 feet out. If he added that as a weapon, then even a disciplined coach could have a problem leveraging Ulis's stature in a playoff series.

Return to Phoenix Suns