ImageImageImage

Fantasy Leagues Discussion - Currently Dynasty Future Drafts

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,431

Re: Announce Fantasy Results - Top 3 in all leagues and Bottom 3 in Premier, D League and Dynasty 

Post#301 » by bwgood77 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:09 am

MrMiyagi wrote:Why not at the 9-14 teams to the 3-8 odds? So you'd have:
25.0% (Brooklyn)
19.9% (Phoenix)
17.3% (Los Angeles+Dallas)
13.0% (Philadelphia+New Orleans)
9.6% (Orlando+Charlotte)
6.0% (Minnesota+Detroit)
5.9% (New York+Denver)
3.3% (Sacramento+Miami)

That's easy to say for someone who drafted for the now and finished first. But how does that work if you follow the actual lottery? If anything it should follow the actual lottery. Not give the best teams better percentages. TASTIC left them out for zero chance. Now you are proposing far better than actual lottery chances for 9-14.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Re: Announce Fantasy Results - Top 3 in all leagues and Bottom 3 in Premier, D League and Dynasty 

Post#302 » by MrMiyagi » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:33 am

bwgood77 wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:Why not at the 9-14 teams to the 3-8 odds? So you'd have:
25.0% (Brooklyn)
19.9% (Phoenix)
17.3% (Los Angeles+Dallas)
13.0% (Philadelphia+New Orleans)
9.6% (Orlando+Charlotte)
6.0% (Minnesota+Detroit)
5.9% (New York+Denver)
3.3% (Sacramento+Miami)

That's easy to say for someone who drafted for the now and finished first. But how does that work if you follow the actual lottery? If anything it should follow the actual lottery. Not give the best teams better percentages. TASTIC left them out for zero chance. Now you are proposing far better than actual lottery chances for 9-14.

No I'm not, I'm suggesting a solution where we avoid the scenario where Dallas/New Orleans/Charlotte/Detroit/Denver/Miami gets a top 3 pick and none of the teams were assigned those odds. Right now there is a 5.4% chance unaccounted for. If Miami got 3rd, would we just skip that pick for the next one in the order?

EDIT: I made a typo in the original post: "at" was meant to be "add"

EDIT 2: I guess my system would screw up if say Charlotte and Orlando were to be vaulted into the #1 and #3 respectively and they were both assigned to Boomy Gym Leader in this scenario.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,663

Post#303 » by Calvin Klein » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:59 pm

TASTIC wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
TASTIC wrote:Cheers!

That's 3 now bro! 2009, 2014 and 2016.

This earns you the right to list who would be in each league next year pending people dropping out...other than top 3 in premier and bottom 3 in CBA, every top and bottom 3 move up/down a league. GO!

As prem league champ, I'll pass 8-)

How do we avoid tanking in the dynasty league though.

I think assign the bottom 8 teams an NBA team as per the bottom 8 in the standings.

As they're called in the lottery, that's where they pick. I chose 8 as nearly 50% of teams (14/30) are in the lottery in the NBA, so 50% of our 16 team league is 8.

Ignoring NBA teams 9-14 who could potentially jump up and land a top 4 pick, the order the balls come out for these 8 teams would be the order we draft. The top 8 teams would simply be in reverse of the standings. So assuming the balls come out as per the end of year standings (obviously that NEVER happens), it would look like this:

So while this is obviously how our league turned out simply in reverse, the wrinkle is the ping pong balls never come out the exact way they're weighted. Teamwordsenuff could jump up and land the #1 pick, while Will Work for Stats could drop to 4th but no lower.

What does everyone think?

Sounds good to me
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#304 » by MathiasPW » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:08 pm

Since we have no playoffs where an 8th seed might actually win, I don't see why we should exclude the top 8 teams from the lottery.

Putting them in the lottery actually is an incentive towards competing rather than tanking.

So instead of keeping like 5% of odds out of our picture (like Miyagi pointed out) or combining odds which might lead to a team having 2 lottery selections, I'd just go with an extended version of TASTIC's idea and give everyone a chance at winning.

Yes I'm aware this argument benefits me. But keep in mind there are a lot of good players being put back in the deck that might contribute more to a team than the rookies coming from the draft, so picking first still depends a lot on each teams needs and strategies.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#305 » by TASTIC » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Excluding them was basically because the alternative (in most dynasty leagues) is just a straight up reverse standings draft - but then teams will tank knowing they're locked into #1 if they finish last.

In my 'version' of the draft, Miyagi - the other teams you listed wouldn't factor in. The only teams and order we'd care about, are the teams listed next to each of the bottom 8.

So if for example Dallas lands the #1 pick somehow, and the Lakers get #2 and the Nets #3 and so on, the Lakers (Team Alves in this case) lands the top pick in our draft - as Dallas wasn't 'assigned' to anyone, followed by the Nets with the 2nd pick of the draft...
Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Post#306 » by Phystic » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:35 am

Seeing as I was worst in the league I figured I'd chime in since this decision would have an impact on my team.

I can see the concern when it comes to tanking, but considering most of the members of the league are lasting members of the board I wouldn't think deliberate tanking would be a huge issue. Especially one that could be monitored fairly easily.

The lottery idea isn't bad, but I do feel like leaving the top 8 teams out makes more sense, just like the NBA lottery. I think if we go by this, then the missing 5% doesn't really matter. Just assign the bottom 8 teams in our league the top 8 draft slots in the NBA lottery, and whatever other those 8 teams land is the order we go by.

Only other idea I can think of outside of the above two, would be a cumulative standings and using that to select the draft order. But that obviously isn't so fair if a top team starts to rebuilding but their record is so good it keeps them out of a top pick. Or the inverse of that.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Dynasty League Keepers Due? 

Post#307 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:45 pm

Have we figured out when the Dynasty Leagues keepers will be due? Obviously it should be some time after all the FA dust settles but it would be good to have a little bit of prep time before we start drafting.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Fantasy Results - Top 3 in all leagues and Bottom 3 in Premier, D League and Dynasty 

Post#308 » by TASTIC » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:05 am

Yeah I think we use the NBA season as a guide.

So maybe we draft early October? That way preseason is about to start and it gives us a solid few weeks to draft offline - not to mention FA, summer league and all that stuff is done by then and rosters are (almost) finalised.

Is draft order opposite of standings?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Dynasty League Keepers Due? 

Post#309 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:14 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Have we figured out when the Dynasty Leagues keepers will be due? Obviously it should be some time after all the FA dust settles but it would be good to have a little bit of prep time before we start drafting.

TASTIC wrote:Yeah I think we use the NBA season as a guide.

So maybe we draft early October? That way preseason is about to start and it gives us a solid few weeks to draft offline - not to mention FA, summer league and all that stuff is done by then and rosters are (almost) finalised.

The lock date of our 7 keepers is Sept 1st. We can start the draft shortly after that or in October. I usually like to start them as late as possible, but I don't mind starting early since the pool of players will be pretty limited outside of rookies and players that people dropped. We should probably give people a couple weeks to evaluate the player pool after seeing who is dropped.
MrMiyagi

Re: Dynasty League Keepers Due? 

Post#310 » by MrMiyagi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:18 am

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Have we figured out when the Dynasty Leagues keepers will be due? Obviously it should be some time after all the FA dust settles but it would be good to have a little bit of prep time before we start drafting.

TASTIC wrote:Yeah I think we use the NBA season as a guide.

The lock date of our 7 keepers is Sept 1st. We can start the draft shortly after that or in October. I usually like to start them as late as possible, but I don't mind starting early since the pool of players will be pretty limited outside of rookies and players that people dropped. We should probably give people a couple weeks to evaluate the player pool after seeing who is dropped.

As long as I'm picking first, that's all that matters to me :wink:
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Fantasy Results - Top 3 in all leagues and Bottom 3 in Premier, D League and Dynasty 

Post#311 » by TASTIC » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:15 am

Do we want to open this bad boy up?

Start some trade discussions! haha.

Thomas and Blake on the block, either separate or together for an upgrade :)
sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,371

Post#312 » by sunskerr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:46 am

Well, looks like I'm regulated back to the D-league after a good, long stay of 5 or so years in the premier league. I don't really have the drive to stay engaged and thus stay competitive with you guys for a whole season right now (nor did I have it last season) so I'm gonna wait and see how I feel before withdrawing or declaring from the D-league.
Kobe>Jordan>God
Analyst
And1: 872

Post#313 » by Kobe>Jordan>God » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:07 am

Yahoo Fantasy Basketball is open for registration and league renewals.

Player rankings are available as well.
ImageImage
MrMiyagi

Post#314 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:10 am

I'm ready to repeat in Dynasty
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#315 » by Golanator » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Will you guys be opening up any of the existing fantasy leagues for new members or is that a no?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#316 » by bwgood77 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:28 pm

Golanator wrote:Will you guys be opening up any of the existing fantasy leagues for new members or is that a no?

Yes, it's very likely.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#317 » by TASTIC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:35 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Golanator wrote:Will you guys be opening up any of the existing fantasy leagues for new members or is that a no?

Yes, it's very likely.

I reckon we reactivate the dynasty league now - what you reckon?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#318 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:01 am

TASTIC wrote:I reckon we reactivate the dynasty league now - what you reckon?

OK, I just did. Right now we have a current keeper lock date of September 1st.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#319 » by TASTIC » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:27 am

bwgood77 wrote:
TASTIC wrote:I reckon we reactivate the dynasty league now - what you reckon?

OK, I just did. Right now we have a current keeper lock date of September 1st.

Just changed it to a month from today ;)

We can always bring it forward once/when peeps are ready to draft...
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#320 » by Golanator » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:30 am

bwgood77 wrote:

Yes, it's very likely.

Hell yes, where do I sign up?

Return to Phoenix Suns