ImageImageImage

Derrick Jones Jr.

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

rebelx
Junior
And1: 69

Derrick Jones Jr. 

Post#1 » by rebelx » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:38 pm

I was surprised to see the Kings let DJ Jr. go, but he was injured and lost a lot of valuable time in their camp....that said, I was happy to see Jones get picked up by a better organization.

I've seen a LOT of players go through UNLV the past 35 to 40 years.....and post Tarkanian, two of my favorite players have been Patrick McCaw (Golden State 2nd round pick this year) and Derrick Jones Jr. The other two of my favorites were Louis Amundson and Shawn Marion..... and the theme with the latter two is they made their mark, in the league, with Phoenix.

Now, Derrick Jones Jr. is the MOST explosive of those players.....yes, even edging out Marion. Scouts seem to lock in to his explosiveness and discount his other attributes simply because he's extremely athletic. Truth be told, the guy is so uniquely athletic at his size, that it's hard not to JUST see his athleticism.....however, his ability to finish (outside of dunks) and the potential of an outisde game, coupled with ELITE potential to defend 3 or 4 positions (he's a small forward with a center's wingspan, and a 45" vertical....ridiculous when you think about it) make this guy an absolute steal to pick up as a undrafted free agent.

UNLV had two drafted players.... a 7-footer, former McDonald's AA (Zimmerman), who was drafted based on potential....and Patrick McCaw that should've been a first round draft pick....but UNLV sucking so bad last year didn't help things, but the environment in Vegas was a complete cluster#$@ last year (firing of the head coach mid-season, then injuries everywhere..... Jones and McCaw both saw times at Center late in the season....lol)....but advanced statistics favored two guys.... McCaw and Jones. Win/Share Jones even edged out the older McCaw.....

In summary though, you just don't see a player like Jones come around very often. He has an it factor to him, and I'd be VERY shocked to not see him starting on an NBA team in a few years. There's not too many guys that can be a legitimate combination of Lamar Odom and Vince Carter....yeah, that may read as ludicrous, but i truly believe it, and the more you see of DJ Jr., I bet I'll find more than a few that agree with me. The guy plays with a Philadelphia toughness (he's a PA native), and the intangible are just off the charts.
OGBAH
Senior
And1: 312

Re: Derrick Jones Jr. 

Post#2 » by OGBAH » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:43 am

If its down to him or Jenkins then yeah I'd keep him
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,401

Post#3 » by dremill24 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:47 am

Im seeing an even smaller Jerami Grant..
Villalobos
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,266

Post#4 » by Villalobos » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:58 am

dremill24 wrote:Im seeing an even smaller Jerami Grant..

Nah, clearly he's Kawhi-lite.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kawhi-leonard-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/derrick-jonesjr-1.html

(I kid :lol: )

(or do I? :o )
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#5 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:21 am

http://youtu.be/hrG8SiuA6U4. Wow. But can he shoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LV-Suns
Analyst
And1: 1,904

Post#6 » by LV-Suns » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:03 pm

As a UNLV fan, I am very excited that Derrick Jones might end up making the team. Not really sure about the Odom/Vince comparison though haha. I think his best case scenario would be a Trevor Ariza type player.

He has decent shooting mechanics, something that can be worked on. Before he got disqualified, he was really starting to show a lot of potential. 25/7 (11/12 from the line) and 23/9 (11/13 FT).

He is actually an extremely smart player from the games I watched. He really picks his spots on offense and limited himself to high percentage shots, hence the ridiculous 61% TS%. Defensively, he guarded 1-5 last season and showed elite potential there.

Maybe the Kawhi comparison might not be super far fetched, he was also an unheralded player out of SDSU after his freshmen year.
I Dont wanna be here
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#7 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:44 pm

Jimmy Butler story maybe?

He has athleticism, very long arms, a decent handle. He needs to be able to shoot and/or defend. If he has decent shot selection, that's a huge plus. Really athletic players can sometime be ball hogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#8 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:43 pm

Read on Twitter
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Re: 2016-17 Phoenix Suns Preseason Thread 

Post#9 » by NTB » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:07 pm

Read on Twitter
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Re: Trade Ideas, Speculation and Discussion 

Post#10 » by gaspar » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:14 pm

Sunsss wrote:
gaspar wrote:
lazyboy62 wrote:Can we pick up Hunter now?

We are keeping Jenkins for the season. No need for Hunter in Phoenix.

Jones Jr. too.

Jones Jr.'s contract becomes fully guaranteed in January. The Suns can still waive him but we have to pay him ~$7k for every game he's on the roster.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#11 » by MrMiyagi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:52 am

Sunsss wrote:http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2016/10/24/phoenix-suns-waive-archie-goodwin-keep-john-jenkins/92680256/

On Derrick Jones Jr.
“He’s the most athletic player on our team and that says a lot with Marquese Chriss sitting right here,” Suns coach Earl Watson said earlier in the preseason. “He has the potential to be a defender, 3-point shooter and play above the rim. But he has to get NBA reps and get a NBA work ethic.”

Shade at Archie?
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#12 » by Zelaznyrules » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:46 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
Sunsss wrote:http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2016/10/24/phoenix-suns-waive-archie-goodwin-keep-john-jenkins/92680256/

On Derrick Jones Jr.
“He’s the most athletic player on our team and that says a lot with Marquese Chriss sitting right here,” Suns coach Earl Watson said earlier in the preseason. “He has the potential to be a defender, 3-point shooter and play above the rim. But he has to get NBA reps and get a NBA work ethic.”

Shade at Archie?

I hope so but I'm afraid it's more a reflection of Derrick's history than Archie's. I'm never really sure which of the reports and rumors tell the true story but a lot of what I've read and heard supports the idea that Archie worked hard, just not necessarily on the things the coaches wanted him to focus on. The comment on Jones suggests that he's not been fully focused on improving his game and while I hadn't heard much about that previously, it's a concern with a young player that is lacking in so many fundamentals. Still, that kind of athleticism is worth the gamble though.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#13 » by bwgood77 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:49 am

Zelaznyrules wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:

On Derrick Jones Jr.

Shade at Archie?

I hope so but I'm afraid it's more a reflection of Derrick's history than Archie's. I'm never really sure which of the reports and rumors tell the true story but a lot of what I've read and heard supports the idea that Archie worked hard, just not necessarily on the things the coaches wanted him to focus on. The comment on Jones suggests that he's not been fully focused on improving his game and while I hadn't heard much about that previously, it's a concern with a young player that is lacking in so many fundamentals. Still, that kind of athleticism is worth the gamble though.

I was going to post that same tidbit. More athletic than Chriss? It's about time we got some elite athleticism youth to this team as well as another young guy in Bender with great fundamentals defensively, ball handling, passing, running floor, etc.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#14 » by kennydorglas » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:34 am

Derrick Jones Jr. definitely worth the gamble.
But I would love to have RJ Hunter over Jenkins tho.
Let's see what happens next.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Post#15 » by NavLDO » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:14 pm

kennydorglas wrote:Derrick Jones Jr. definitely worth the gamble.
But I would love to have RJ Hunter over Jenkins tho.
Let's see what happens next.

7' Wingspan and 42" Max Vert?? Heck yeah.
LV-Suns
Analyst

Post#16 » by LV-Suns » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:54 pm

He already seems more likable than Archie ever was :nod:

“I never doubted myself but I didn’t expect this the whole time,” Jones said. “When I was the last one here from training camp, I knew there was a reason I am here. I feel as though I’m a NBA player. I have NBA athleticism. My game is going to come a long way. I just got to be able to knock down my jump shots consistently. That’s one thing I’m going to put in work to do.”

“I planned this in my head,” Jones said. “At least being on the team and being on the bench makes me thankful. I thank the coaches, the GMs, the owner for giving me this opportunity. They’re not want to go back on this. I’m going to do my best and do whatever it takes to be great. This is just one step.”

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2016/10/26/suns-rookie-derrick-jones-jr-goes-heartache-heartfelt/92760560/
I Dont wanna be here
LV-Suns
Analyst

Post#17 » by LV-Suns » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:58 pm

I Dont wanna be here
Villalobos
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,266

Post#18 » by Villalobos » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:18 pm

Suns need to put him on that Greek Freak diet asap
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,696

Post#19 » by sunsbum » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:27 pm

Jones has some great shoulders...does that sound weird? It reminds me of thos lamar odom/dwight howard shoulders where you can definitely put some meat on em.
Flex is now your father.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#20 » by TASTIC » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:36 pm

I know it's easy to say because they're both left-handed....but I see some Thaddeus Young in him.

Even 50% Thad would be great, plays both ends and hustles and a real pro.

Return to Phoenix Suns