ImageImageImage

OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22, Kerrsed

User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,706
And1: 11,716
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#21 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:21 am

JMac1 wrote:
SarcasticSun wrote:I really don't understand the concern over Chriss's weight. We ALL said he needed to gain weight this off season. Did you guys think he was going to put on 10 lbs of lean muscle without putting on fat first? Of course he's not in playing shape right now, he's put on the weight so he could be in the shape he wants for the games that actually count. If he still looks like this at the season's beginning we can be concerned. Would you rather he show up to SL out of shape or show up next season just as skinny as last? Because you can't have both. He gained 20 lbs, a lot of which is fat, he knows this and he knows he'll cut the fat before the actual season so he'll probably actually have gained 5-10 lbs of lean muscle by the end of this


Obviously you never heard of carb cycling....you don't have to gain fat to gain muscle, this isn't 1990. He just got fat....and the last place you gain and lose fat is on your face. He is a fatty. There is no muscle separation in his physique whatsoever.

Use carbs for fuel and protein to build muscle. Get most of your carbs before and after your workout and feed your body mostly protein throughout the day. Keep your fat at around 50gm per day unless you are cutting then drop to 25gms per day. Drop the sodium, sweetners, and veggies, and any additive because they make you hold water, do 45mins of cardio. To maintain do 30mins of cardio 3-4 times per week. Get an extra 3500 calories a week with 100 200 200 800-1000 carb cycling and you will gain your muscle without the fat.

He needs a new trainer.

I've been on this old school high protein low carb diet for a while and I feel like I've plateau'd (some time ago). I've looked into carb cycling in the past but never got into it. I might give it a go
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
Posts: 15,740
And1: 5,265
Joined: Jun 25, 2009
Location: the Arizona desert

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#22 » by DirtyDez » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:57 am

I run stairs twice a week. Doesn't take long and it's all i need. My knees will be toast in 20 years though.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 66,191
And1: 37,809
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#23 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:52 am

JMac1 wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:
DRK wrote:Good advice JMac, however as much as I respect bodybuilders and their strict diet/training regime, for me its something I personally cant follow.

I think of myself as a pretty good athlete. I play basketball 2-3 times a week, indoor soccer once a week, and lift 4 times a week, plus do sprints at the local park couple times a week.

My letdown is my diet. I love my food too much. Not that Im fat or in bad shape, but my results would be much better than they are right now. However, I have accepted that fact in my mind, and am okay with sacrificing gains for the enjoyment of food.
In order to keep myself in good shape though, when I feel I have had a big week, I do something called Intermittent fasting. I.F is something that doesnt work for everyone, but I found it works for me. Couple that with BCAA's and L-Carnitine, and thats how I maintain. Might no work for everyone, but it works for me.

But there is something that rings completely true - You cant out-train a bad diet.


https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/intermittent-fasting-everything-you-need-to-know.html


I'm an IF guy too. Seems to work perfectly for me.


How does it effect your muscle mass? I tried fasting cardio once, but that burns a lot of fat and sometimes muscle. I know it works though. It's a quick start for prep.


What would be your advice on P/F/C ratio for someone who didn't really want to add bulk yet be cut but shred a bit of fat? It seems for some reason when I got like 40/40/20, the weight/fat will drop off fast...or sometimes even increasing the fats with less protein but low on carbs helps even more.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,706
And1: 11,716
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#24 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:11 am

The closer you get to minimizing the carbs even with a higher fat diet, the closer you're getting to keto. I've never done it myself but I have friends who are on it and I've listened to a lot of podcasts and other experts who speak very highly of it. It's a great way to train your body to start burning fat for fuel instead of carbs so if fat is what you want to shred, then it's a great diet to look into it.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
JMac1
Suns Forum Training Specialist
Posts: 10,032
And1: 4,004
Joined: May 23, 2009

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#25 » by JMac1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:28 am

bwgood77 wrote:
JMac1 wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:
I'm an IF guy too. Seems to work perfectly for me.


How does it effect your muscle mass? I tried fasting cardio once, but that burns a lot of fat and sometimes muscle. I know it works though. It's a quick start for prep.


What would be your advice on P/F/C ratio for someone who didn't really want to add bulk yet be cut but shred a bit of fat? It seems for some reason when I got like 40/40/20, the weight/fat will drop off fast...or sometimes even increasing the fats with less protein but low on carbs helps even more.


I just take out my high carb day in my cycle. I shred fat and keep muscle.... I stay lean. I think that's MY sweet spot to stay lean on a daily without bulk. I go 100 200 200 200 back to 100 200 200 200 repeat....instead of 100 200 200 700 plus. I can shred fat keep size without a prep diet. Very sustainable.

sometimes even increasing the fats with less protein but low on carbs helps even more.
I do that as well, but I don't drop my protein. Fats keep your calorie count up and your sanity when you are doing low carbs... 40 40 20 is pretty solid from my experience. Add some mild cardio 30-45, that will help. Don't mess with high intensity or you'll start burning muscle.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 66,191
And1: 37,809
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#26 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:36 am

JMac1 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
JMac1 wrote:
How does it effect your muscle mass? I tried fasting cardio once, but that burns a lot of fat and sometimes muscle. I know it works though. It's a quick start for prep.


What would be your advice on P/F/C ratio for someone who didn't really want to add bulk yet be cut but shred a bit of fat? It seems for some reason when I got like 40/40/20, the weight/fat will drop off fast...or sometimes even increasing the fats with less protein but low on carbs helps even more.


I just take out my high carb day in my cycle. I shred fat and keep muscle.... I stay lean. I think that's MY sweet spot to stay lean on a daily without bulk. I go 100 200 200 200 back to 100 200 200 200 repeat....instead of 100 200 200 700 plus. I can shred fat keep size without a prep diet. Very sustainable.

sometimes even increasing the fats with less protein but low on carbs helps even more.
I do that as well, but I don't drop my protein. Fats keep your calorie count up and your sanity when you are doing low carbs... 40 40 20 is pretty solid from my experience. Add some mild cardio 30-45, that will help. Don't mess with high intensity or you'll start burning muscle.


I don't do high intensity carb, but do weights and low intensity cardio. When you say 100 200 200 200 what are those? I imagine they must be some sort of breakdown of P/F/C but you have 4 there.
JMac1
Suns Forum Training Specialist
Posts: 10,032
And1: 4,004
Joined: May 23, 2009

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#27 » by JMac1 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:41 am

bwgood77 wrote:
JMac1 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
What would be your advice on P/F/C ratio for someone who didn't really want to add bulk yet be cut but shred a bit of fat? It seems for some reason when I got like 40/40/20, the weight/fat will drop off fast...or sometimes even increasing the fats with less protein but low on carbs helps even more.


I just take out my high carb day in my cycle. I shred fat and keep muscle.... I stay lean. I think that's MY sweet spot to stay lean on a daily without bulk. I go 100 200 200 200 back to 100 200 200 200 repeat....instead of 100 200 200 700 plus. I can shred fat keep size without a prep diet. Very sustainable.

sometimes even increasing the fats with less protein but low on carbs helps even more.
I do that as well, but I don't drop my protein. Fats keep your calorie count up and your sanity when you are doing low carbs... 40 40 20 is pretty solid from my experience. Add some mild cardio 30-45, that will help. Don't mess with high intensity or you'll start burning muscle.


I don't do high intensity carb, but do weights and low intensity cardio. When you say 100 200 200 200 what are those? I imagine they must be some sort of breakdown of P/F/C but you have 4 there.


My daily carb count. I focus on that more than anything else.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 66,191
And1: 37,809
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#28 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:32 pm

JMac1 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
JMac1 wrote:
I just take out my high carb day in my cycle. I shred fat and keep muscle.... I stay lean. I think that's MY sweet spot to stay lean on a daily without bulk. I go 100 200 200 200 back to 100 200 200 200 repeat....instead of 100 200 200 700 plus. I can shred fat keep size without a prep diet. Very sustainable.

I do that as well, but I don't drop my protein. Fats keep your calorie count up and your sanity when you are doing low carbs... 40 40 20 is pretty solid from my experience. Add some mild cardio 30-45, that will help. Don't mess with high intensity or you'll start burning muscle.


I don't do high intensity carb, but do weights and low intensity cardio. When you say 100 200 200 200 what are those? I imagine they must be some sort of breakdown of P/F/C but you have 4 there.


My daily carb count. I focus on that more than anything else.


Grams or calories?
JMac1
Suns Forum Training Specialist
Posts: 10,032
And1: 4,004
Joined: May 23, 2009

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#29 » by JMac1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:59 am

bwgood77 wrote:
JMac1 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
I don't do high intensity carb, but do weights and low intensity cardio. When you say 100 200 200 200 what are those? I imagine they must be some sort of breakdown of P/F/C but you have 4 there.


My daily carb count. I focus on that more than anything else.


Grams or calories?


Grams. We disagree a lot, however, I don't want you to die :lol:
DRK
RealGM
Posts: 11,649
And1: 2,886
Joined: Feb 28, 2010
Location: Kentucky Suns
Contact:
   

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#30 » by DRK » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:56 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:The closer you get to minimizing the carbs even with a higher fat diet, the closer you're getting to keto. I've never done it myself but I have friends who are on it and I've listened to a lot of podcasts and other experts who speak very highly of it. It's a great way to train your body to start burning fat for fuel instead of carbs so if fat is what you want to shred, then it's a great diet to look into it.



I did Keto for abit and it was great. I can still eat steaks, chicken, etc etc just minus the chips, breads, rice... Being Asian, cutting down on rice was the hardest bit.

However, my friend who is a dietian warned against keto long term. Yes you will lose fats, but with a high fat diet you do leave yourself succeptable to higher cholesterol.

I did a combines keto and IF period earlier this year, and was in the best shape of my life. Put it back on now (girlfriend loves food, 5 week holiday in USA, etc etc)
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 66,191
And1: 37,809
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#31 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:57 pm

JMac1 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
JMac1 wrote:
My daily carb count. I focus on that more than anything else.


Grams or calories?


Grams. We disagree a lot, however, I don't want you to die :lol:


Good to know. I was eating way too many carbs for a while so now have been keepting between 100-150 calories now.
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 66,191
And1: 37,809
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#32 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:58 pm

DRK wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:The closer you get to minimizing the carbs even with a higher fat diet, the closer you're getting to keto. I've never done it myself but I have friends who are on it and I've listened to a lot of podcasts and other experts who speak very highly of it. It's a great way to train your body to start burning fat for fuel instead of carbs so if fat is what you want to shred, then it's a great diet to look into it.



I did Keto for abit and it was great. I can still eat steaks, chicken, etc etc just minus the chips, breads, rice... Being Asian, cutting down on rice was the hardest bit.

However, my friend who is a dietian warned against keto long term. Yes you will lose fats, but with a high fat diet you do leave yourself succeptable to higher cholesterol.

I did a combines keto and IF period earlier this year, and was in the best shape of my life. Put it back on now (girlfriend loves food, 5 week holiday in USA, etc etc)


If I do somewhat of a keto diet, I still try to avoid saturated fats as much as possible. It seems ridiculous anyone thinks it's good for you. I stick to avocados, nuts, almond milk maybe, olive oil, fish oil maybe and perhaps a few other unsaturated fats.
JMac1
Suns Forum Training Specialist
Posts: 10,032
And1: 4,004
Joined: May 23, 2009

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#33 » by JMac1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:22 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
DRK wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:The closer you get to minimizing the carbs even with a higher fat diet, the closer you're getting to keto. I've never done it myself but I have friends who are on it and I've listened to a lot of podcasts and other experts who speak very highly of it. It's a great way to train your body to start burning fat for fuel instead of carbs so if fat is what you want to shred, then it's a great diet to look into it.



I did Keto for abit and it was great. I can still eat steaks, chicken, etc etc just minus the chips, breads, rice... Being Asian, cutting down on rice was the hardest bit.

However, my friend who is a dietian warned against keto long term. Yes you will lose fats, but with a high fat diet you do leave yourself succeptable to higher cholesterol.

I did a combines keto and IF period earlier this year, and was in the best shape of my life. Put it back on now (girlfriend loves food, 5 week holiday in USA, etc etc)


If I do somewhat of a keto diet, I still try to avoid saturated fats as much as possible. It seems ridiculous anyone thinks it's good for you. I stick to avocados, nuts, almond milk maybe, olive oil, fish oil maybe and perhaps a few other unsaturated fats.


100 percent. To each his own, but I would never mess with a Keto diet. 1. too high in fat and I don't care what anyone says, I know what fat does to arteries. 2. You can't eat grains or you go out of Ketosis and that means no cheats. No way.

For the record, I got down to 3 percent body fat at 49 years old in July and I had to stop before I killed myself, i didn't stop because I couldnt get any lower, plus I did only a week of cardio; all diet an weights. My carbs are at minimum 100 grams even when I'm cutting. Each person body and food needs are different, just my experience.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,706
And1: 11,716
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#34 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:48 pm

JMac1 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
DRK wrote:

I did Keto for abit and it was great. I can still eat steaks, chicken, etc etc just minus the chips, breads, rice... Being Asian, cutting down on rice was the hardest bit.

However, my friend who is a dietian warned against keto long term. Yes you will lose fats, but with a high fat diet you do leave yourself succeptable to higher cholesterol.

I did a combines keto and IF period earlier this year, and was in the best shape of my life. Put it back on now (girlfriend loves food, 5 week holiday in USA, etc etc)


If I do somewhat of a keto diet, I still try to avoid saturated fats as much as possible. It seems ridiculous anyone thinks it's good for you. I stick to avocados, nuts, almond milk maybe, olive oil, fish oil maybe and perhaps a few other unsaturated fats.


100 percent. To each his own, but I would never mess with a Keto diet. 1. too high in fat and I don't care what anyone says, I know what fat does to arteries. 2. You can't eat grains or you go out of Ketosis and that means no cheats. No way.

For the record, I got down to 3 percent body fat at 49 years old in July and I had to stop before I killed myself, i didn't stop because I couldnt get any lower, plus I did only a week of cardio; all diet an weights. My carbs are at minimum 100 grams even when I'm cutting. Each person body and food needs are different, just my experience.

Yeah I mean you still need to prioritise healthier fats. Not just like a bacon and avocado every meal. But I am personally wary of the high fat portion of the diet.

As for the long term sustainability of keto, most people I know who are on it stay on it for an extended period of time, ~6 months then go off it and then back on it. I don't think I know anyone that's strictly keto for years and years.

Like you said, each to their own and everyone responds to different diets differently so even though I've heard a lot of good things about keto and I have a few personal friends who are on it and they are getting great results from it, it might not work for me for other reasons. But I do think based on the evidence, it is worth exploring especially if the goal is to shred fat.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 66,191
And1: 37,809
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#35 » by bwgood77 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:17 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
JMac1 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
If I do somewhat of a keto diet, I still try to avoid saturated fats as much as possible. It seems ridiculous anyone thinks it's good for you. I stick to avocados, nuts, almond milk maybe, olive oil, fish oil maybe and perhaps a few other unsaturated fats.


100 percent. To each his own, but I would never mess with a Keto diet. 1. too high in fat and I don't care what anyone says, I know what fat does to arteries. 2. You can't eat grains or you go out of Ketosis and that means no cheats. No way.

For the record, I got down to 3 percent body fat at 49 years old in July and I had to stop before I killed myself, i didn't stop because I couldnt get any lower, plus I did only a week of cardio; all diet an weights. My carbs are at minimum 100 grams even when I'm cutting. Each person body and food needs are different, just my experience.

Yeah I mean you still need to prioritise healthier fats. Not just like a bacon and avocado every meal. But I am personally wary of the high fat portion of the diet.

As for the long term sustainability of keto, most people I know who are on it stay on it for an extended period of time, ~6 months then go off it and then back on it. I don't think I know anyone that's strictly keto for years and years.

Like you said, each to their own and everyone responds to different diets differently so even though I've heard a lot of good things about keto and I have a few personal friends who are on it and they are getting great results from it, it might not work for me for other reasons. But I do think based on the evidence, it is worth exploring especially if the goal is to shred fat.


I would never consider the diet regimen I try to follow keto. It's just lean protein (egg whites, chx, tuna, turkey, protein shakes) and the healthy fats I mentioned. As for carbs just post workout, maybe a tad pre workout and maybe some in the morning like some oatmeal.
User avatar
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
Posts: 23,706
And1: 11,716
Joined: Oct 16, 2007
Location: Australia

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#36 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:05 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
JMac1 wrote:
100 percent. To each his own, but I would never mess with a Keto diet. 1. too high in fat and I don't care what anyone says, I know what fat does to arteries. 2. You can't eat grains or you go out of Ketosis and that means no cheats. No way.

For the record, I got down to 3 percent body fat at 49 years old in July and I had to stop before I killed myself, i didn't stop because I couldnt get any lower, plus I did only a week of cardio; all diet an weights. My carbs are at minimum 100 grams even when I'm cutting. Each person body and food needs are different, just my experience.

Yeah I mean you still need to prioritise healthier fats. Not just like a bacon and avocado every meal. But I am personally wary of the high fat portion of the diet.

As for the long term sustainability of keto, most people I know who are on it stay on it for an extended period of time, ~6 months then go off it and then back on it. I don't think I know anyone that's strictly keto for years and years.

Like you said, each to their own and everyone responds to different diets differently so even though I've heard a lot of good things about keto and I have a few personal friends who are on it and they are getting great results from it, it might not work for me for other reasons. But I do think based on the evidence, it is worth exploring especially if the goal is to shred fat.


I would never consider the diet regimen I try to follow keto. It's just lean protein (egg whites, chx, tuna, turkey, protein shakes) and the healthy fats I mentioned. As for carbs just post workout, maybe a tad pre workout and maybe some in the morning like some oatmeal.
Yeah it's definitely not keto especially if you're taking carbs post work out and having grains in the morning. If you want to cut fat, it's pretty much well accepted that cutting carbs goes a long way for most people. That's always been the most difficult part for me.
alamin330 wrote:This draft reminds me of the 2003 draft.
Lebron - Zion, Barrett like Melo, wade like Culver, garland like tj ford, hunter like bosh, white like Barbosa, Clarke like David West. I think this draft is actually going to be deeper though
User avatar
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 66,191
And1: 37,809
Joined: Feb 06, 2009
Location: Austin
Contact:
   

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#37 » by bwgood77 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:46 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Yeah I mean you still need to prioritise healthier fats. Not just like a bacon and avocado every meal. But I am personally wary of the high fat portion of the diet.

As for the long term sustainability of keto, most people I know who are on it stay on it for an extended period of time, ~6 months then go off it and then back on it. I don't think I know anyone that's strictly keto for years and years.

Like you said, each to their own and everyone responds to different diets differently so even though I've heard a lot of good things about keto and I have a few personal friends who are on it and they are getting great results from it, it might not work for me for other reasons. But I do think based on the evidence, it is worth exploring especially if the goal is to shred fat.


I would never consider the diet regimen I try to follow keto. It's just lean protein (egg whites, chx, tuna, turkey, protein shakes) and the healthy fats I mentioned. As for carbs just post workout, maybe a tad pre workout and maybe some in the morning like some oatmeal.
Yeah it's definitely not keto especially if you're taking carbs post work out and having grains in the morning. If you want to cut fat, it's pretty much well accepted that cutting carbs goes a long way for most people. That's always been the most difficult part for me.


It's not THAT hard for me unless I am in a group setting where we are going out for something, like my parents being in town and want to go out, or work orders pizza for the group, and I have missed carbs for a while. I will eat it then and then crave it after that for days and it's hard to cut it back out. Once you cut it out, it's not hard. I don't even have grains in the morning right now, just some pre and post workout. Today I maybe had 25 grams of carbs pre workout and 50 grams of carbs or so post workout. That will probably be it.
JMac1
Suns Forum Training Specialist
Posts: 10,032
And1: 4,004
Joined: May 23, 2009

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#38 » by JMac1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:07 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
JMac1 wrote:
100 percent. To each his own, but I would never mess with a Keto diet. 1. too high in fat and I don't care what anyone says, I know what fat does to arteries. 2. You can't eat grains or you go out of Ketosis and that means no cheats. No way.

For the record, I got down to 3 percent body fat at 49 years old in July and I had to stop before I killed myself, i didn't stop because I couldnt get any lower, plus I did only a week of cardio; all diet an weights. My carbs are at minimum 100 grams even when I'm cutting. Each person body and food needs are different, just my experience.

Yeah I mean you still need to prioritise healthier fats. Not just like a bacon and avocado every meal. But I am personally wary of the high fat portion of the diet.

As for the long term sustainability of keto, most people I know who are on it stay on it for an extended period of time, ~6 months then go off it and then back on it. I don't think I know anyone that's strictly keto for years and years.

Like you said, each to their own and everyone responds to different diets differently so even though I've heard a lot of good things about keto and I have a few personal friends who are on it and they are getting great results from it, it might not work for me for other reasons. But I do think based on the evidence, it is worth exploring especially if the goal is to shred fat.


I would never consider the diet regimen I try to follow keto. It's just lean protein (egg whites, chx, tuna, turkey, protein shakes) and the healthy fats I mentioned. As for carbs just post workout, maybe a tad pre workout and maybe some in the morning like some oatmeal.


That is a shredding diet. How long have you been doing that? I get carbs every meal and do my sugars around my workout when I'm serious, otherwise I just get my complete cookie for breakfast as the only added sugar food for the entire day. When I cut, I do no sugar, period.
JMac1
Suns Forum Training Specialist
Posts: 10,032
And1: 4,004
Joined: May 23, 2009

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#39 » by JMac1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:09 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:Yeah I mean you still need to prioritise healthier fats. Not just like a bacon and avocado every meal. But I am personally wary of the high fat portion of the diet.

As for the long term sustainability of keto, most people I know who are on it stay on it for an extended period of time, ~6 months then go off it and then back on it. I don't think I know anyone that's strictly keto for years and years.

Like you said, each to their own and everyone responds to different diets differently so even though I've heard a lot of good things about keto and I have a few personal friends who are on it and they are getting great results from it, it might not work for me for other reasons. But I do think based on the evidence, it is worth exploring especially if the goal is to shred fat.


I would never consider the diet regimen I try to follow keto. It's just lean protein (egg whites, chx, tuna, turkey, protein shakes) and the healthy fats I mentioned. As for carbs just post workout, maybe a tad pre workout and maybe some in the morning like some oatmeal.
Yeah it's definitely not keto especially if you're taking carbs post work out and having grains in the morning. If you want to cut fat, it's pretty much well accepted that cutting carbs goes a long way for most people. That's always been the most difficult part for me.


I get so flat and starve without carbs... I 'm like you. No way.
JMac1
Suns Forum Training Specialist
Posts: 10,032
And1: 4,004
Joined: May 23, 2009

Re: OT: Official Health/Fitness/Ball Thread 

Post#40 » by JMac1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
I would never consider the diet regimen I try to follow keto. It's just lean protein (egg whites, chx, tuna, turkey, protein shakes) and the healthy fats I mentioned. As for carbs just post workout, maybe a tad pre workout and maybe some in the morning like some oatmeal.
Yeah it's definitely not keto especially if you're taking carbs post work out and having grains in the morning. If you want to cut fat, it's pretty much well accepted that cutting carbs goes a long way for most people. That's always been the most difficult part for me.


It's not THAT hard for me unless I am in a group setting where we are going out for something, like my parents being in town and want to go out, or work orders pizza for the group, and I have missed carbs for a while. I will eat it then and then crave it after that for days and it's hard to cut it back out. Once you cut it out, it's not hard. I don't even have grains in the morning right now, just some pre and post workout. Today I maybe had 25 grams of carbs pre workout and 50 grams of carbs or so post workout. That will probably be it.


That's awesome BW!

Return to Phoenix Suns