ImageImageImage

Offseason Speculation, Trade & Free Agency Ideas & Discussion

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,578

Re: Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion 4: A Knight to remember all Tuckered out! 

Post#821 » by bwgood77 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Djedefre wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Djedefre wrote:I think chances are pretty slim for drafting more than 1 player this year. We shouldn’t forget that last year we added 4 (3 via draft + JonesJr), with a few youngsters already on our roster (Book, Warren, Len). It’s already tricky to find PT for them all, let alone with 2 more.

I don't see why we wouldn't draft players. It's the best way to stockpile talent on the cheap. You can play them in the D league. Once we dump Knight and Price that opens up two roster spots. Barbosa will open up another one. Then our two vets are Chandler and Dudley.

If we don't keep all three centers that opens up another roster spot, so that's 4 open roster spots.

We need to ALWAYS think long term and treat it like we have a minor league team and long term development. Not everyone will always pan out, but you don't get much for trading 2nd rounders so you might as well use them if there is someone you like at all.

If McD’s reasoning is the same, i’m totally fine with it. I just don’t believe that he’ll go that way. That practically means trading those vets he just signed for mentoring/leadership/influence purposes.

Looks like he’s one of those thinking that filling a complete roster just with youngsters undermines and slows their proper development.

You think he's going to keep Price and Knight? Barbosa has a team option, or maybe not, but only like a small portion of his salary guaranteed in year two so there is a decent chance he goes. Now that our team is going full youth pretty much, it seems to be the perfect time to add as much as possible for future chemistry purposes..sure have 1-2 vets Dudley and/or Chandler and that's enough and Price can become an asst if Watson wants him around.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,231

Re: Season Speculation, Trade Ideas & Discussion 4: A Knight to remember all Tuckered out! 

Post#822 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Djedefre wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:
Djedefre wrote:It’s looking good. We need only 1 more year of patience (read: one more bottom 6 record) and we’re good to go. 2018 class looks very good and respectably deep at the top and we could/should fill the gap left after this june:
1) if we go with Fultz/Ball/SmithJr then we could focus on Ayton/Bamba or PorterJr/Knox/Carter
2) if we go with Jackson/Tatum/Isaac then there are Duval/Sexton or even Doncic
You can just imagine how much talent we’d have and all of it set to peak when these superteams dissolve and leave some fresh air to breathe.

I don't even think we need to have one more tanking season. I think we just need this year and we're good to go. We need our guys to develop further, but I think we should have a very complete roster after this draft.

It’s crucial not to overvalue our potential. We have to be aware of our deficiencies - Booker apparently won’t ever be even average defender, we do not know what we have (or do not have) in Bender yet, Ulis still has his height handicap, Chriss is still pretty raw and a question mark regarding his ceiling, Warren is inconsistent 3pt shooter, Williams is very slow and unathletic, JonesJr stick skinny and superduper raw...

Adding one top prospect this year won’t be enough to propel us into contending. Unless one of the kids literally explodes like George or Butler a few years ago. Teams that we should be comparing us to are Wolves, Nuggets, Sixers... They all have that special player(s) that we still lack. I mean Book is fantastic, but is he really KAT/Jokic/Embiid/Wiggins kind of good? We need two more elite prospects aka franchise changers to surpass them.

I honestly think to get a bottom 6 record like you suggest, we'd have to do so deliberately. While none of our young guys are finished products, Booker, TJ, Ulis and Big Sauce are already showing the players they will be. Ulis and Sauce aren't "elite" players, they are effective role players which is necessary. TJ is a legit NBA scorer, Booker even more so. Chris is raw, but he's improved as the season has progressed. Jones Jr. and Bender are large question marks, but they've shown flashes of potential. And we're going to add someone in the top 5 of this draft who is likely to be more polished than Chriss/Bender/Jones Jr. I think we have more than enough talent developing to start to make a leap.

There is great chemistry with this group, they're playing together and they started to show they were figuring things out enough for management to mandate a Bledsoe sit down. These next 12 games are going to be pretty big for the development of our young guys. I think we can make a legitimate run at the 8th seed next season.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,195

Post#823 » by RaisingArizona » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:07 pm

I think we add 2-3 young guys from the draft. Price will become some sort of assistant. I doubt Len comes back. Knight is gone. Chandler may be on his way out, too.
Dambo
Senior
And1: 253

Post#824 » by Dambo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:11 pm

I actually thinks we won't pick anyone from the draft. All picks will be traded before/during draft night imo.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#825 » by Saberestar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:04 am

Read on Twitter

The Phoenix Suns plan to sign forward Jarell Eddie of D-League's Windy City on a 10-day contract, league sources tell @TheVertical.
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,171

Post#826 » by starbosa10 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:20 am

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

The Phoenix Suns plan to sign forward Jarell Eddie of D-League's Windy City on a 10-day contract, league sources tell @TheVertical.

A hokie in a suns uni! 8-)
MrMiyagi

Post#827 » by MrMiyagi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:24 am

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
MrMiyagi

Post#828 » by MrMiyagi » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:25 am

Dambo wrote:I actually thinks we won't pick anyone from the draft. All picks will be traded before/during draft night imo.

That sounds incredibly dumb, Dambo.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#829 » by Bogyo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:05 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
Djedefre wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:I don't even think we need to have one more tanking season. I think we just need this year and we're good to go. We need our guys to develop further, but I think we should have a very complete roster after this draft.

It’s crucial not to overvalue our potential. We have to be aware of our deficiencies - Booker apparently won’t ever be even average defender, we do not know what we have (or do not have) in Bender yet, Ulis still has his height handicap, Chriss is still pretty raw and a question mark regarding his ceiling, Warren is inconsistent 3pt shooter, Williams is very slow and unathletic, JonesJr stick skinny and superduper raw...

Adding one top prospect this year won’t be enough to propel us into contending. Unless one of the kids literally explodes like George or Butler a few years ago. Teams that we should be comparing us to are Wolves, Nuggets, Sixers... They all have that special player(s) that we still lack. I mean Book is fantastic, but is he really KAT/Jokic/Embiid/Wiggins kind of good? We need two more elite prospects aka franchise changers to surpass them.

I honestly think to get a bottom 6 record like you suggest, we'd have to do so deliberately. While none of our young guys are finished products, Booker, TJ, Ulis and Big Sauce are already showing the players they will be. Ulis and Sauce aren't "elite" players, they are effective role players which is necessary. TJ is a legit NBA scorer, Booker even more so. Chris is raw, but he's improved as the season has progressed. Jones Jr. and Bender are large question marks, but they've shown flashes of potential. And we're going to add someone in the top 5 of this draft who is likely to be more polished than Chriss/Bender/Jones Jr. I think we have more than enough talent developing to start to make a leap.

There is great chemistry with this group, they're playing together and they started to show they were figuring things out enough for management to mandate a Bledsoe sit down. These next 12 games are going to be pretty big for the development of our young guys. I think we can make a legitimate run at the 8th seed next season.

I think that we will be bottom 6ish next year pretty much no matter what. We will be adding 1-2 more rookies, and might let go of Len. Look at the Wolves - who are playing really well lately, and at 10th in the draft with super talents like KAT, Wiggins, LaVine, with Rubio setting them up, and legit veteran(ish) players like Rush, Hill, Shabazz, with Thibs as coach (and KG mentoring them last year). Unless somebody really blows up this summer, or our pick will become ROY I think our team will be worse than this years Minnesota. With a very bright future, and fun to watch, but still, definatley top 10, likely top 6ish pick in 2018 draft.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#830 » by Damkac » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:46 am

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

This means resting Booker/reducing his minutes?
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,920

Post#831 » by Fo-Real » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:06 am

MrMiyagi wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

He is a Sf. shooter, with a quick smooth release. Warm body to give a loom to, maybe Duds is done for the season too.
Villalobos
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,266

Post#832 » by Villalobos » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:24 am

I was about to say why didn't they just give Troy Williams another try, but it turns out the Rockets signed him earlier this month.
carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,934

Post#833 » by carey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Bogyo wrote:

I think that we will be bottom 6ish next year pretty much no matter what. We will be adding 1-2 more rookies, and might let go of Len. Look at the Wolves - who are playing really well lately, and at 10th in the draft with super talents like KAT, Wiggins, LaVine, with Rubio setting them up, and legit veteran(ish) players like Rush, Hill, Shabazz, with Thibs as coach (and KG mentoring them last year). Unless somebody really blows up this summer, or our pick will become ROY I think our team will be worse than this years Minnesota. With a very bright future, and fun to watch, but still, definatley top 10, likely top 6ish pick in 2018 draft.

Maybe so. I've said the same thing myself a couple times. Especially if you take Sarver's word that we're not signing any veteran free agents this Summer. Re: Minnesota though... they should be better than their record. They had some unfortunate injuries, but they should still be better than they are. Dunn was supposed to be one of the more ready rookies (he turned 23 yesterday) and he looks pretty bad so far. I think Thibs could definitely turn this thing around but despite having great individual players they never seemed to gel as a unit. I'm ok with turning this thing over to Fultz / Ball with Booker and Warren and having one more bad year. Like you said, that team would be infinitely more watchable and we'd likely add another good piece from moving Bledsoe. Sacramento should make a hard push for instance. Pairing him with Hield and their young front court guys would be smart but they are likely going the rebuild route in the draft. They'll have 2 lottery picks and could be interested in moving one of them.
Djedefre
Senior
And1: 669

Post#834 » by Djedefre » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:00 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Djedefre wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
I don't see why we wouldn't draft players. It's the best way to stockpile talent on the cheap. You can play them in the D league. Once we dump Knight and Price that opens up two roster spots. Barbosa will open up another one. Then our two vets are Chandler and Dudley.

If we don't keep all three centers that opens up another roster spot, so that's 4 open roster spots.

We need to ALWAYS think long term and treat it like we have a minor league team and long term development. Not everyone will always pan out, but you don't get much for trading 2nd rounders so you might as well use them if there is someone you like at all.

If McD’s reasoning is the same, i’m totally fine with it. I just don’t believe that he’ll go that way. That practically means trading those vets he just signed for mentoring/leadership/influence purposes.

Looks like he’s one of those thinking that filling a complete roster just with youngsters undermines and slows their proper development.

You think he's going to keep Price and Knight? Barbosa has a team option, or maybe not, but only like a small portion of his salary guaranteed in year two so there is a decent chance he goes. Now that our team is going full youth pretty much, it seems to be the perfect time to add as much as possible for future chemistry purposes..sure have 1-2 vets Dudley and/or Chandler and that's enough and Price can become an asst if Watson wants him around.

I feel like Barbosa and Duds will still be here at least for another season. When we didn't deal Chandler at the deadline, i'm not convinced we'd do it this offseason. Partly because of his positive influence on young players and willingness to actually be part of the rebuilding process (wished to stay and sit the rest of the season instead of being traded elsewhere) - step aside and make room, and partly because of his age and market demands.

Price will most likely retire anyway so he's not a problem. Knight's obviously not in the family portrait and his days are numbered, but how to deal him? We won't ever get a young prospect or first round pick for him (even that second rounder looks like hitting the jackpot), so we might be forced to take another bad contract (presumably a vet).
Djedefre
Senior
And1: 669

Post#835 » by Djedefre » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Guys, with Nike takeover, should we expect jersey redesign? I'm kinda sick of these, purple and black are ok to say, but white, orange and grey are just horrific.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,792

Post#836 » by BobbieL » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:24 pm

ginobiliflops wrote:I think we add 2-3 young guys from the draft. Price will become some sort of assistant. I doubt Len comes back. Knight is gone. Chandler may be on his way out, too.

I don't see enough in Len to bring him back but might have too if you trade Chandler

Knight - sitting him the rest of theyear so he doesn't get hurt; he will be traded - find a bad contract

Gottlieb speculating that if Alford goes to Indiana, Earl Watson could be in play at UCLA. Interesting thoughg
carey
Assistant Coach

Post#837 » by carey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Djedefre wrote:Guys, with Nike takeover, should we expect jersey redesign? I'm kinda sick of these, purple and black are ok to say, but white, orange and grey are just horrific.

I doubt it. These are fairly new. How many seasons now, just 4? I remember watching the jersey reveal on-line. It was right when we traded Caron Butler because he was in the reveal and then traded like 2 days later.
carey
Assistant Coach

Post#838 » by carey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:36 pm

BobbieL wrote:Gottlieb speculating that if Alford goes to Indiana, Earl Watson could be in play at UCLA. Interesting thoughg

I've read that. I know Indiana will be putting the full court press on Miller too. Like some team does every single Spring. Watson doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would quit on something, but with how much he reveres UCLA I just don't know. UCLA will want a proven recruiter though. That isn't Watson though I do believe he is much more suited to college than the pros. Also, fwiw, Gottlieb doesn't know anything. It's just a talking point.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,254

Post#839 » by King4Day » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:39 pm

I see no reason we'd let Barbosa go. Very cheap contact for a good role player.
I don't think we'll trade chandler, but, if we make a play for Drummond, it'd mean Tyson to the bench and Len goes elsewhere

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,097

Post#840 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:08 pm

carey wrote:
Bogyo wrote:

Maybe so. I've said the same thing myself a couple times. Especially if you take Sarver's word that we're not signing any veteran free agents this Summer. Re: Minnesota though... they should be better than their record. They had some unfortunate injuries, but they should still be better than they are. Dunn was supposed to be one of the more ready rookies (he turned 23 yesterday) and he looks pretty bad so far. I think Thibs could definitely turn this thing around but despite having great individual players they never seemed to gel as a unit. I'm ok with turning this thing over to Fultz / Ball with Booker and Warren and having one more bad year. Like you said, that team would be infinitely more watchable and we'd likely add another good piece from moving Bledsoe. Sacramento should make a hard push for instance. Pairing him with Hield and their young front court guys would be smart but they are likely going the rebuild route in the draft. They'll have 2 lottery picks and could be interested in moving one of them.

I'd be a little surprised if Sacto traded either of those lotto picks. One can speculate about the value of moving up, but I think they're particularly needful of multiple prospects. They have Hield, Skal, and WCS. I don't know what they see in Papagiannis, but he is young. Clearly, the holes are at 1 and 3, which are the positions at which this draft is deep. I expect them to stay pat and make those picks.

... I did a sim lotto on tankathon the other day and ended up with:
1 Boston
2 Philly
3 Orlando
4 Philly
5 Phoenix
6 Sacramento
7 New York
8 Sacramento

Ugh. Sandwiched. Philly asking who in the Top 5 has the worst injury history. Sorry, buds, but Harry Giles ain't in your range. You'll have to settle for DSJ.

Return to Phoenix Suns