ImageImageImage

Josh Jackson discussion, highlights, etc

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Can Josh Jackson turn this season around and be a productive player?

Not likely
48%
Yes give him some time
52%

Total votes: 98

darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Re: Josh Jackson discussion, highlights, etc 

Post#1021 » by darealjuice » Thu Jan 3, 2019 12:58 am

AtheJ415 wrote:Because his roles have been declining in difficulty, and he is still sucking. That is why. Last year the FO clearly made about development. It was obvious. Now he's being asked to handle the ball less and be more selective and he is responding by being the least efficient offensive player in basketball. He does not play within the offense, and has been terrible all around, even on defense, overall.

The only encouraging thing has been the past few games. When he simply doesn't shoot unless wide open, he is much better. Nobody is to blame for that phenomenon except for Josh himself. And that problem is independent of everything he has bitched about.

And also, he has been the WORST sophomore in the league. Look at his TPA relative to the rest of the class.

You honestly think going from role player to near de facto primary ball handler while being expected to defend the best player as a rookie was declining in difficulty? If last season was in the name of "development" then all he developed was bad habits, because none of the step back jumpers and high shot volume were part of his game at Kansas.

You realize that TPA is primarily influenced by playing time right lol? A bad player who plays a lot is literally always going to have a worse TPA than a worse player that doesn't play at all. Probably not the stat you want to be using.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#1022 » by bwgood77 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 1:15 am

Man it seems like a big deal is being made about nothing. He probably had/has a lot of people telling him some of these things, and it's not like they are untrue. I mean he talks about coming into an unstable coaching situation without any sets to run...I mean Earl didn't have a training camp, sets and starts a skinny SG/SF athletic wing at PF to start the season with Mike James as the PG. I mean it doesn't get much worse than that. Then the coach gets fired...a positive thing overall but still not something that helps a rookie get better, suddenly listening to a new voice of a guy that didn't have any training camp. I mean they played street ball last season, and he was putting up trash stats, even when people were bragging about his PPG.

He was learning the wrong way. Now he has some real coaching but he still has some terrible turnovers and lays it on the glass to hard when he gets by people. Other than that he has been mostly more contained, but you almost have to uncoach his whole rookie season tendencies out of him.

He should have probably worked harder in the off season but I imagine he will this offseason....whether we bring him back or not.

But I don't feel like he said anything that bad...nothing that hasn't been said here, and nothing any one of us probably wouldn't have felt if we were in his shoes.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,356

Post#1023 » by AtheJ415 » Thu Jan 3, 2019 11:57 am

darealjuice wrote:
AtheJ415 wrote:Because his roles have been declining in difficulty, and he is still sucking. That is why. Last year the FO clearly made about development. It was obvious. Now he's being asked to handle the ball less and be more selective and he is responding by being the least efficient offensive player in basketball. He does not play within the offense, and has been terrible all around, even on defense, overall.

The only encouraging thing has been the past few games. When he simply doesn't shoot unless wide open, he is much better. Nobody is to blame for that phenomenon except for Josh himself. And that problem is independent of everything he has bitched about.

And also, he has been the WORST sophomore in the league. Look at his TPA relative to the rest of the class.

You honestly think going from role player to near de facto primary ball handler while being expected to defend the best player as a rookie was declining in difficulty? If last season was in the name of "development" then all he developed was bad habits, because none of the step back jumpers and high shot volume were part of his game at Kansas.

You realize that TPA is primarily influenced by playing time right lol? A bad player who plays a lot is literally always going to have a worse TPA than a worse player that doesn't play at all. Probably not the stat you want to be using.

I think going from that difficult role as a rookie to what he is asked to do now is declining in difficulty, and yet, he has gotten worse. He has been bottom 5 of all players in the NBA for most of the season in RPM, and he is not asked to do most of that stuff now. He is not asked to score or run the offense here except in a very minor role and he is blowing that himself. You can see it because Igor gets mad each time he takes those shots. He is doing what he is not asked to do, taking he shots he knows he shouldn't, and blaming everybody but himself.

Also, we don't have to use TPA. There is no advanced or all in stat that he is not damn near the worst player in his class who gets PT in. He has been a TERRIBLE player this year except for the last couple of weeks. Don't get me wrong, I hope he gets better and still have hope for him, but it would be a lie to say he has been anything other than a disaster so far, and it's mostly his own fault.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,175

Post#1024 » by Frank Lee » Thu Jan 3, 2019 4:15 pm

He also seems to be struggling in the limelight. He was large at Ka, a highly sought after/coveted draft selection selected with some last minute workout shannannies that made him seem like a steal... and now, he's being reduced to a role player often in scrub time. A serious step down from 18 mos ago. Remember he was riding around in Book's convertible, getting set for the big life, the big stage.... and now the spotlight is focusing elsewhere (Bridges/TJ/DAyton) and he is left with 15 minutes a night to shine. He sure tries to maximize it though, often to his demise. Mostly mediocre head shaking play with moments of yeah baby.

Coming to such a stinker team, with a stinker GM, and no set coaching foundation.....there was great expectations on Jackson. The fans, the organization, and I am sure Jackson himself. He hasnt found his place, because he hasnt found a jump shot. Its becoming more and more noticeable and more and more a requirement in this league, unless you happen to be extremely adept at another BB skill. It doesnt help his cause that the following three selections after Jackson all would be nice, needed fits on this team .... Fox, Markky, Isaac... thats some salt in an already stinging wound. Drafting Bridges was an eye poke for him for sure.

I dont know what their plans are with JJ... but he sure is on the expendable path. He's another dude who needed a few more years of seasoning before being served up as an entree. Cant find fault in these kids grabbing the sacks of huge coin, but as we have seen, its the GM who gets caught holding the bag, and we get a lump of coal.
What ? Me Worry ?
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#1025 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Jan 3, 2019 4:39 pm

Frank Lee wrote:He also seems to be struggling in the limelight. He was large at Ka, a highly sought after/coveted draft selection selected with some last minute workout shannannies that made him seem like a steal... and now, he's being reduced to a role player often in scrub time. A serious step down from 18 mos ago. Remember he was riding around in Book's convertible, getting set for the big life, the big stage.... and now the spotlight is focusing elsewhere (Bridges/TJ/DAyton) and he is left with 15 minutes a night to shine. He sure tries to maximize it though, often to his demise. Mostly mediocre head shaking play with moments of yeah baby.

Coming to such a stinker team, with a stinker GM, and no set coaching foundation.....there was great expectations on Jackson. The fans, the organization, and I am sure Jackson himself. He hasnt found his place, because he hasnt found a jump shot. Its becoming more and more noticeable and more and more a requirement in this league, unless you happen to be extremely adept at another BB skill. It doesnt help his cause that the following three selections after Jackson all would be nice, needed fits on this team .... Fox, Markky, Isaac... thats some salt in an already stinging wound. Drafting Bridges was an eye poke for him for sure.

I dont know what their plans are with JJ... but he sure is on the expendable path. He's another dude who needed a few more years of seasoning before being served up as an entree. Cant find fault in these kids grabbing the sacks of huge coin, but as we have seen, its the GM who gets caught holding the bag, and we get a lump of coal.

JJ may be a couple years away, but if that's the case, his ceiling is still quite high. If JJ can get to the rim (as he sometimes can), he's really dangerous. It's inevitable that he will add another fifteen or so pounds and show mild to moderate improvements to his field goal and turnover percentages. I would not trade him.

Winning cures everything. I like too many of our pieces and just want them to win. The last several games have been painful, but we've also been playing the cream of the crop. I expect our record will improve, and that our players will be in good spirits once they start winning.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,808

Post#1026 » by RedIndian » Mon Jan 7, 2019 6:28 am

Is it just me, or did Josh's stroke look cleaner today? Has he been spending time with TJ's coach?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,636

Post#1027 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Jan 7, 2019 6:50 am

RedIndian wrote:Is it just me, or did Josh's stroke look cleaner today? Has he been spending time with TJ's coach?

It looked clearer today. Like it does every 5-8 games when he's actually hitting something that isn't the back of the rim.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1028 » by thamadkant » Mon Jan 7, 2019 10:27 am

RedIndian wrote:Is it just me, or did Josh's stroke look cleaner today? Has he been spending time with TJ's coach?

he's improved his shot...

but now its just about knowing when his shot is "off" and try getting points from layups or getting fouled.

haters will hate, but he's been impactful on games where Suns looked competitive
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#1029 » by Saberestar » Mon Jan 7, 2019 1:25 pm

thamadkant wrote:

he's improved his shot...

but now its just about knowing when his shot is "off" and try getting points from layups or getting fouled.

haters will hate, but he's been impactful on games where Suns looked competitive

This last game was probably his best game of the season.

He has a good court vision and passing abilily, but his problem is that he does not anticipate what the defenders are gonna do. That is why a lot of times he has a good idea but the execution is bad and we lose the ball.

That is the next step for him. Having less TOs per game is more important that his shooting at this point of his career IMO. If he improves on that he is gonna play a lot more minutes per game.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#1030 » by Fo-Real » Mon Jan 7, 2019 2:08 pm

I'm gonna call him BLUE, cause he's ALWAYS BEEN MY BOY!!! :lol:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1031 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 7, 2019 4:27 pm

Josh played really well last night; I hope he is able to stack some success and string a few of these games together.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#1032 » by Fo-Real » Wed Jan 9, 2019 3:52 pm

The man makes things happen, good and bad but he causes SOMETHING!! Your my boy BLUE!!
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#1033 » by Damkac » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:57 am

May need a new poll: Are you ready to give up on Jackson yet?
Sadly I would vote Yes. 1 good game every 10 terrible games is too little for me to have a hope he will ever figure things out.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#1034 » by TASTIC » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:39 pm

Just watched Jackson's highlights last game vs Minny:

Not sure if others have mentioned - I'm sure someone has - but he really has some Draymond in him. Grabbing the board, leading the break, not a prototypical offensive player, good defensive instincts and a real dog mentality.

Draymond had a stellar 4 year College career so through his first 2 seasons he was 23 whereas Jackson is only 21, but some stats hint at very similar players - though obviously Green is much more solid/thick physically.

Fingers crossed we have a Draymond type glue guy in the making with JJ, though advanced stats aren't great for JJ obviously because of the complete dearth of team success he's experienced so far. First two seasons comp:

Count me on the side of including TJ in a deal for Conley rather than JJ. I appreciate Warren's scoring but he's peaked IMO and I don't see the 3pt stroke sticking as a 40% guy. I know he was hurt last game, but JJ has grabbed more rebounds in his last game than TJ has in his last 3 combined - we cannot have such poor rebounding at PF.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,452

Post#1035 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:54 pm

TASTIC wrote:Just watched Jackson's highlights last game vs Minny:

Not sure if others have mentioned - I'm sure someone has - but he really has some Draymond in him. Grabbing the board, leading the break, not a prototypical offensive player, good defensive instincts and a real dog mentality.

Draymond had a stellar 4 year College career so through his first 2 seasons he was 23 whereas Jackson is only 21, but some stats hint at very similar players - though obviously Green is much more solid/thick physically.

Fingers crossed we have a Draymond type glue guy in the making with JJ, though advanced stats aren't great for JJ obviously because of the complete dearth of team success he's experienced so far. First two seasons comp:

Count me on the side of including TJ in a deal for Conley rather than JJ. I appreciate Warren's scoring but he's peaked IMO and I don't see the 3pt stroke sticking as a 40% guy. I know he was hurt last game, but JJ has grabbed more rebounds in his last game than TJ has in his last 3 combined - we cannot have such poor rebounding at PF.

Similar offensively. Obviously Draymond is miles ahead defensively, but of course JJ would be a junior in college this year. It's pretty rare to be as good on D as Draymond though and a lot of it has to do with his insane wingspan.
thamadkant

Post#1036 » by thamadkant » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:34 am

bwgood77 wrote:
TASTIC wrote:Just watched Jackson's highlights last game vs Minny:

Similar offensively. Obviously Draymond is miles ahead defensively, but of course JJ would be a junior in college this year. It's pretty rare to be as good on D as Draymond though and a lot of it has to do with his insane wingspan.

Ive compared him to many and Draymond is included in it.

But he's much more dynamic... Than Draymond...

But Draymond is also much stronger and thus a better big man defender... Alhhough Josh Jackson has been used by Suns Triano and Igor to guard PFs... He's done a decent job on Anthony Davis last season on a game where he was torching event sun big men until Josh was on him.

Jackson can become Draymond like.. But he's much more dynamic.... And once he thickens up he can be a less cerebral Draymond... Draymond is elite defensively because he's smart and his IQ is immense.... And referees favor him against big men he plays roughly...
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

Josh Jackson comparison 

Post#1037 » by Najee12 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 3:56 am

The player with whom I would compare Josh Jackson is former 1990s Nets small forward Chris Morris. Like Jackson, Morris was an athletic, high-flying small forward who can play some defense and try to block shots. Like Jackson, Morris was maddeningly inconsistent and was prone to making bad decisions.
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,815

Post#1038 » by Saberestar » Thu Feb 7, 2019 5:14 am

thamadkant

Re: Josh Jackson comparison 

Post#1039 » by thamadkant » Thu Feb 7, 2019 7:51 am

Najee12 wrote:The player with whom I would compare Josh Jackson is former 1990s Nets small forward Chris Morris. Like Jackson, Morris was an athletic, high-flying small forward who can play some defense and try to block shots. Like Jackson, Morris was maddeningly inconsistent and was prone to making bad decisions.

as a rookie maybe, I remember Chris Morris... he didnt have Jackson's confidence and motor... Jackson 1.5 seasons in is better than Morris at his prime or close to
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#1040 » by bigfoot » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:17 pm

Hopefully we don't do anything stupid and trade Jackson away. Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with him.

Return to Phoenix Suns