ImageImageImage

Davon Reed Thread

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,044

Re: Davon Reed Thread 

Post#21 » by sunsbg » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:00 am

He looks like a better player than DJJ, who many see as part of the rotation.
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#22 » by Zelaznyrules » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:57 am

sunsbg wrote:He looks like a better player than DJJ, who many see as part of the rotation.

Reed is almost unquestionably a better player than Jones is today but that's to be expected. Despite a year of pro experience, Reed is almost 2 years older than DJ. And I don't know that many of us see DJJ as part of the rotation, I think it's more that we see some hope for his future. He could easily be out of the NBA in another year or two but he's an incredible athlete, he has a strong work ethic and is apparently very teachable. I don't know him at all so maybe he's dumber than a fence post and stubborn as a mule and all that but his list of positive attributes reads like a recipe for success.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Post#23 » by NTB » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:54 am

I loved this pick. Every team needs a player like him.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#24 » by NTB » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Preacherpj
Junior
And1: 310

Post#25 » by Preacherpj » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:16 pm

I didn't love the Reed pick initially, thought there were higher-upside guys available there.

But I think picks like Reed and Peters show that the Suns FO feels like they are turning the rebuild off and starting to actually build a complete roster out of our previous mess.

Reed likely doesn't have the upside of Bell/Oljeye types, but he fits an immediate need, he's older, he's a tactical fit even if his upside isn't quite as high. Maybe he can give us some Raja Bell type intensity off the bench and hit open jumpers, that's something this team needs to compete.

I like the pick because it feels like he's the right lego square to fit into this roster. We didn't really need another 20 year old with upside. We have all the major pieces of lumber, now we just need some glue/screws to help hold it all together. I think both Reed and Peters fit into that mold.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,671

Post#26 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Article from The Ringer predraft on 3 and D guys. They talk about Reed as one of their favorites in the "Accepting his role" section.

Love these quotes from him:
“Being a ball hawk defensively and making the other team’s offensive player’s job hell, that’s what I’m looking to do,” Reed told me at the NBA combine in Chicago. “I’m a grinder, but it’s more about effort than anything else. It’s a will to want to stop somebody. That’s what drives me.”

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-3-and-d-prospects-41d14ea486b5
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
edurham88
Suns Forum CBA League Champion
And1: 75

Post#27 » by edurham88 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Article from The Ringer predraft on 3 and D guys. They talk about Reed as one of their favorites in the "Accepting his role" section.

Love these quotes from him:
“Being a ball hawk defensively and making the other team’s offensive player’s job hell, that’s what I’m looking to do,” Reed told me at the NBA combine in Chicago. “I’m a grinder, but it’s more about effort than anything else. It’s a will to want to stop somebody. That’s what drives me.”

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-3-and-d-prospects-41d14ea486b5

I read this article when it was posted, but I forgot that it talked about Reed. Here's the rest of that section about him:
That’s why a prospect like Miami wing Davon Reed is so appealing as an early second-rounder. There’s no doubt Reed, who sports a fast and high release in his mechanics, can shoot. But he also plays with a badass mind-set on defense. Reed battles through screens, chases 50–50 balls, and has a super-long wingspan that’ll allow him to defend guards, wings, and some forwards.
There aren’t many sure-bets for the 3-and-D role in this year’s draft. Reed stands out as a good one

I don't follow college basketball much, so I know nothing about Reed, but I like what I'm hearing so far.
LukasBMW
Suns Forum SlamDRUNK Contributor
And1: 4,286

Post#28 » by LukasBMW » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:47 am

PJ Tucker part II
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#29 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:27 am

Good thing about selecting seniors is that they'll be in the average NBA players prime when still on rookie dollars.

Malcolm Brogdon for example, think he scores the most points for least dollars in the league (10 ppg @ $1m).
batsmasher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#30 » by batsmasher » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Hoping he brings the sort of physicality PJ did. Our youngens desperately need someone to look up to in that regard.

And not brash reckless physicality. Controlled, aggressive stuff.
de'aaron fox will be a hof'er, don't @ me
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#31 » by NTB » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Lol he is constantly tweeting motivational sentences.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,182

Post#32 » by Frank Lee » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:08 pm

The dude has that shoulder chip from The U. Adding him and Jackson to the roster just made practices that much chippier. How motivated will he be to guard Booker... and Jackson to guard Warren and?

If anything, McDo drafted some hard playing ballers in his first two spots. Have to like the intensity to come.
What ? Me Worry ?
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#33 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:24 pm

NTB wrote:

I loved this pick. Every team needs a player like him.

He is a James Jones type of player. Not flashy, but essential on the bench. Always on good teams.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,671

Re: RE: Re: Davon Reed Thread 

Post#34 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:21 pm

Frank Lee wrote:The dude has that shoulder chip from The U. Adding him and Jackson to the roster just made practices that much chippier. How motivated will he be to guard Booker... and Jackson to guard Warren and?

If anything, McDo drafted some hard playing ballers in his first two spots. Have to like the intensity to come.

Totally agree and love bringing some attitude to the team. This is the type of dude whos going to make booker work in practice.

I didn't know much about reed when they made that pick but the more i learn about him the more i like the pick. You need guys like him.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#35 » by NTB » Thu Jul 6, 2017 9:06 pm

carey
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,934

Post#36 » by carey » Thu Jul 6, 2017 10:19 pm

Any contract details yet? I'm assuming it's the same deal we gave Ulis?
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#37 » by NTB » Thu Jul 6, 2017 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter
SideSwipe
Analyst
And1: 660

Post#38 » by SideSwipe » Sat Jul 8, 2017 5:24 am

Reed looked comfortable and smooth tonight. He plays with confidence that is lacking in the youngsters. I hope he gets time. His ceiling is higher than PJ, and more than James Jones. James Jones could have used a chip on his shoulder. Reed is way more aggressive. I even like the heat-check shot he did tonight. He played a very solid game. 17 points on 6/11, 2/4 from 3 with 2 boards, and 2 steals in 20 minutes. Made all his FT's as well.
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru

Post#39 » by NTB » Sat Jul 8, 2017 5:36 am

I told you guys :D
Zelaznyrules
Sixth Man
And1: 995

Post#40 » by Zelaznyrules » Sat Jul 8, 2017 5:41 am

NTB wrote:I told you guys :D

I was about to do an "I told you so" myself and then I remembered I'm too evolved to do such a thing. So thanks for doing it for me. :D

Return to Phoenix Suns