ImageImageImage

NBA Draft and NCAA Basketball

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who would you take at 3 if Ayton/Doncic gone?

Bamba
13%
Bagley
16%
Jackson
13%
Porter
36%
Young
23%

Total votes: 70

phx#7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,316

Re: NBA Draft and NCAA Basketball 

Post#1601 » by phx#7 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:08 am

Mjeezy2006 wrote:Hahahahah sorry guys ... standing reach is 9’5”

Last measurement I saw on him had it at 9'6" which if true would put him only behind Gober and McGee for players who have entered the league in the last decade.
In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#1602 » by In2ition » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:59 pm

I know everyone is enamored with Bamba's length, but there is a good chance that Chol Marial comes out next year and is 7'3" with an 8' wingspan and better upside offensively.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,822

Post#1603 » by Saberestar » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Read on Twitter
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#1604 » by DirtyDez » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:01 am

The current 20th pick on draft.net

fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#1605 » by thamadkant » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:39 am

Biggest knock on him is he doesn't know how to play?

But remind me of Samuel Dalembert.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,044

Post#1606 » by sunsbg » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:06 pm

1UPZ wrote:Biggest knock on him is he doesn't know how to play?

But remind me of Samuel Dalembert.

He's not very clever either to expect a big improvement. Two word answers on every question in a DraftExpress interview video I watched some time ago, also didn't he lose NCAA eligibility ? But obviously can jump and dunk. I will still take Brandon McCoy in this range or maybe Williams if he falls.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#1607 » by kennydorglas » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Mitchell seems like a DAJ clone. Always had this vibe about him.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Post#1608 » by NavLDO » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:54 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:With Bender opening up the floor playing as Center I think it brings Michael Porter into play as a PF.

Payton, Booker, Jackson, Porter, Bender

Doncic, Young and Ayton have shown their weaknesses lately so it's a very even top 7 where we can choose anyone of them and be happy with the selection I don't think moving up every single spot possible is that important.

Rebounding and playing big physical front courts would be the question. But offensively that would be a fun group.

Not sure why it seems a stretch to some that Bender can add some weight and strength, and become more assertive in his play. Whether he plays the 4 or the 5, he's going to need to defend a big, more than likely, and some teams do still play 'bigs' at the 4 and 5, so he needs to beef up regardless. The thing is, he already owns the length to cause problems in the middle. This thought that he can't play the 5 because he's not 'beefy' enough is pointless, IMO. To me, if he's not 'beefy' enough for the 5, he's not 'beefy' enough for the 4; it's the length that is often...not always...but often, the distinguishing characteristic between the 4 and 5, and Bender has that in spades.
Midnight_Suns
Pro Prospect
And1: 952

Post#1609 » by Midnight_Suns » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:56 pm

The biggest "project" I'm willing to take on is Bamba. We don't have time to wait 3 years for a raw athlete to hopefully figure out the rest of the game.
NavLDO

Post#1610 » by NavLDO » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:I keep flipping on who I want the most in this draft. I want Ayton the most, but because we have the worse luck I would definitely settle on Porter Jr, and actually feel I want him more. These are the only two guys I want in this draft, however I wouldn't mind getting JJJ either.

Reason I like Porter Jr so much is because I'm thinking long-term, him and Booker will be dynamite. When it comes to the playoffs, and just in crunch time in general I see Porter Jr being able to shoot off the dribble. Jackson, Warren, Payton, Bender aren't reliable off the dribble in my opinion, at least when it comes to isolated plays coming from the three. Being able to shoot 3's off the dribble is one of the toughest things to do and I think having two players being able to do that makes our team lethal. Warriors have Durant and Steph, Cavs had Lebron and Irving, Heat used to have Lebron/Wade. Then on top of Booker/Porter Jr being able to drive, shoot off the dribble, they can also distribute to Bender, Jackson, Payton, who I feel are capable catch and shoot 3 point shooters. His passing ability and ball-handling look so fluid for a 6'10 player that I can't see him being anything less than all-star.

Anyway, this is why I'm sold on Porter Jr, as long as he's medically cleared. If we actually end up getting the No 1 pick I would be torn on taking him or Ayton.

I'm with you. I'd take Porter #1 and I think a lot of people would if not for his injury and having no college ball for evaluation. If he's medically cleared, he's my clear #1 even though it would create a potential log jam at the 3/4 spot. MPJ is a guy who I think would be a nightmare to guard in the NBA, similar to KD. He's just long, very athletic, can shoot the hell out of the ball and play defense. I think it was oddity who wrote that MPJ is like a 6'10 Tatum which I can see but I also see some PG in him too. Coming out of that draft, I was a huge Tatum fan (equal with JJ) so getting an opportunity at an elite prospect who reminds me of Tatum makes me super excited. I absolutely see a a potential Durant/Klay/Iggy/Draymond comparisons in MPJ/Booker/JJ/Bender. Not saying they'll live up to that but that play style could be replicated with these players.

If we're in the top 3, I'd be happy with MPJ, Ayton or Doncic.

I agree. But also why I'm not so worried about how the ball bounces because I still think we get a shot at 'eliteness' at 4, 5, or 6, either, with JJJ, Bagely, and Bamba.

7? 8? 9? OK, well, IMO, there's Carter, Miles Bridges, or then, finally, Young.

We aren't dropping below 8th, though. Heck, if we fell beyond 5th I'd be highly surprised, so one of those 6...MPJ, Ayton, Doncic, Bagley, JJJ, or Bamba is ours for the taking, unless McD trades it away.
thamadkant

Post#1611 » by thamadkant » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:54 pm

What's Bagley's position in the NBA?

He's got the same measurements as Chriss but without the athleticism. So rim protection would suffer... And rebounding?

He's got narrow shoulders and bulking up would hurt his game style. So I see similar contribution as Randle? Unless he can become a true stretch mid range like Bosh
thamadkant

Post#1612 » by thamadkant » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:57 pm

With the Bamba comparisons...

Gobert is a smart player we have to remember... He doesn't just rely on his ridiculous size... He moves and sneaks into the paint for good positions and defensively he rarely bites on fakes

Look at Len... Very good measurements although not as long wingspan wise but he was suppose to be agile since he did gymnastics...

IQ and awareness on playing the big man role is a huge contributor
Midnight_Suns
Pro Prospect
And1: 952

Post#1613 » by Midnight_Suns » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:39 pm

1UPZ wrote:With the Bamba comparisons...

Gobert is a smart player we have to remember... He doesn't just rely on his ridiculous size... He moves and sneaks into the paint for good positions and defensively he rarely bites on fakes

Look at Len... Very good measurements although not as long wingspan wise but he was suppose to be agile since he did gymnastics...

IQ and awareness on playing the big man role is a huge contributor

Interviews with Bamba suggest that he is a very intelligent individual. I know that doesn't necessarily mean high BBIQ but it makes me much more hopeful for his development compared to Len or Chriss.

For those who have watched a lot of Bamba (not just high lights), I have some questions:

How are his hands? Can he catch the ball in a pick and roll offense?

How is his off ball defense? Does he make the right rotations?

Are his shot mechanics solid? Will he potentially be able to hit the mid range at a respectable %?
NavLDO

Post#1614 » by NavLDO » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not that impressed with his lifting abilities to be honest. However, having never lifted in his life, this guy could fill out very nicely. Where's Jmac to talk about Ayton's fitness level?

Wait. A guy with a 7'5" Wingspan benches over 300lbs, and you are not impressed?

He's 7', which means he probably has a 42" inseam (I'm likely short-changing him), and he leg presses 900lbs, and you aren't impressed with that either?

These guys going in the NFL that are 6'4" with shorter arms than me (somehow--I'm part gorilla, but still wouldn't come close to Ayton, I'm sure) with like 33" arms, bench 225 like 30 times and he's stud? Add 6" to their arms and let's see how they do...
Djedefre
Senior
And1: 653

Post#1615 » by Djedefre » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:05 pm

Must agree, Bamba’s awareness is subpar. I think that is exactly the reason for his passiveness - he’s having trouble reading things on the court and reacting accordingly.

About his D: rim protection is guaranteed, he’s mobile enough to switch, but isn’t exactly covering as much space as one would expect from a guy his length. That’s the big difference between him and Gobert or even JJJ. He has a lot of work there.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#1616 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:30 pm

SportingNews recent mock

1. Suns — Luka Doncic, G, Real Madrid

Doncic continues to put up insane numbers playing against some of the top competition in the world. For now, he’s averaging 25.8 points, 8.8 rebounds and 7.2 assists per 40 minutes on a 61.8 true shooting percentage across all competitions. The 18-year-old brings primary creator upside that’s difficult to find at the top of this draft, and a trio of Doncic, Devin Booker and Josh Jackson would give Phoenix an intriguing perimeter setup as it builds towards the future.

2. Hawks — Deandre Ayton, C, Arizona

Although Duke’s Marvin Bagley III rates out as the top frontcourt player on our current big board, Arizona’s Ayton may be a slightly better fit for the Hawks, and given the slight talent difference between the two bigs, he gets the nod here.

The 19-year-old is physically ready to compete in the NBA right now, and his offensive game featuring pick-and-pops and post-ups could develop into a nice focal point for Atlanta. Defense, though, remains a question mark for Ayton. He’s averaging just 2.3 blocks per 40 minutes in college despite possessing a size and athleticism advantage over his competition.

3. Kings — Marvin Bagley III, PF/C, Duke

Like Ayton, Bagley’s biggest question mark is his defense. While he’s shown flashes of weak-side rotations and rim protection, the consistent production hasn’t been there. Whether he can make progress on that end of the floor will determine a lot about where he fits positionally in the NBA.

Still, Bagley probably has the highest offensive upside of any big in the class. He’s flashed a rare ability to pass on the move in isolation or out of short rolls, and he possesses a nice shooting stroke that could extend out to the NBA 3-point line. If those two skills progress, Bagley will allow a team to maintain positional size while operating in the confines of a modern pace-and-space offense.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-mock-draft-2018-picks-order-cavs-bulls-knicks-trae-young-marvin-bagley-iii-luka-doncic-deandre-ayton/2khdk5d15lgt16sdln66qti01
NavLDO

Post#1617 » by NavLDO » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:33 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:My gut tells me we land around 5 and take Jackson or maybe Young unless Payton is just a super stud...then Jackson. Those two guys seem like guys McD would love. If Porter passes the tests, I think he'd love him too but that depends on his plans for Chriss and Bender and where to play them and their long term futures...

Though he is still listed as a SF too so if McD thinks of him that way then I think he might pass on him not just for that but with that and his injury concerns.

You'd think most anyone would have Doncic and Ayton 1/2 but who knows with McD these days?
I am really high on Bagley because I think about him as a C in the NBA. He is relentless fighting for rebounds and an athletic freak who knows how to play around the rim. He reminds me of Amare a little bit too.

He is decent shooting the ball already, his form looks good to me and I think he is gonna be better at that.

He is a legit 6'11, runs the floor like a gazelle and has a high motor on both sides of the court.

I think he can probably be somewhat like Amare. But today the NBA is a bit difference. Without shooting, or at least defense and rim protection there, we will really continue to be the worst defensive team in the league.

I'll be happy with him, particularly if it's outside the top 5, but with the top few picks I'm not sure I'd be that happy.

I'm really +1'ing this aspect of the post, because I am starting to feel like Bagley is sliding for some unknown reason. If we get him outside the Top 5, then I'll be ecstatic; no way does this guy desrve NOT to be taken top 5 in this draft.

Rarely do you find a 6'11" guy who can handle the ball the way he does, going either direction. He's really athletic and fluid and just looks like a natural athlete on the floor. Most guys his size tend to look 'clumsy', yet he looks to have great control over his body, and I like that. He would likely be able to guard some bigger 3s, like Warren, without to much issue, yet still is big and strong enough to guard the 5.

Plus, I like his consistency he provides every night. A double-double machine; 19 of 23 games played over 25 minutes. He scores, and we desperately need that, and can do it at every level. He's not a 'stretch-4', and making him one is likely a mistake, but how he's used now? Popping out from time to time, yet shooting well enough to making the opposition take him seriously is exactly what the Suns need, and what I'm hoping JJ really puts together next season.

I'd still take Doncic, Porter Jr., Ayton, and maybe JJJ ahead of him, but it'd be close between him and JJJ, which would be a nice dilemma to have, if we are drafting 4th, and those 2 are what we are staring at with the 4th pick. JJJ just hasn't had that same level of consistency; even if his intangibles, physical profile, and shot-blocking are out of this world.

I definitely take both over Young, and most likely Bamba as well.
thamadkant

Post#1618 » by thamadkant » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm

If Suns go Doncic.

What happens to Center spot...

Bender would need to go on a HGH and steroid diet me thinks so he can start at center next season lol
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,642

Post#1619 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:29 pm

1UPZ wrote:If Suns go Doncic.

Bender would need to go on a HGH and steroid diet me thinks so he can start at center next season lol

I don't think we could let Doncic get away if he's available but drafting him does create a lot of issues for this roster. Not to say our current roster *should* dictate how we draft but taking Doncic means we still have a giant hole at the 4/5 and a logjam at the 3.

Ayton, if he becomes as productive as we expect, would fit really well with this roster.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#1620 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:30 pm

1UPZ wrote:If Suns go Doncic.

One of Daniel Gafford, Mitchell Robinson or Robert Williams should be there with the Miami pick. Plus a bunch of centers in free agency.

Return to Phoenix Suns