ImageImageImage

NBA Draft and NCAA Basketball

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who would you take at 3 if Ayton/Doncic gone?

Bamba
13%
Bagley
16%
Jackson
13%
Porter
36%
Young
23%

Total votes: 70

In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Re: 2018 Draft and NCAA Basketball 

Post#201 » by In2ition » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:45 am

Jsbath wrote:Porter is our Man, he can shoot and we need other player who can shoot, if we pick him Jackson can play like a pf. Bagley Is other option but it same problem with the shoot. With doncic the problem is his defense, he would play like a sf but is body are no prepare for this.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

This is a complex decision if the Suns are in a position to even be able to make a choice. I'm not saying you are wrong, as Porter is fantastic and would be a fit on any team in the leaguewith his winning, shooting, length, scoring and defense.. This draft, right now, is looking to be deeper and better at the top than any since 2002 or even before.
Even though I love what Porter and the other consensus top 5 bring to the table, I believe Bagley is the best fit for the Suns. First of all, Bagley was born and raised in Phx Metro. You wouldn't be worried that he would be disappointed about being drafted by the Suns or only halfheartedly wanting to be in Phx. Second, he has been long thought of as the best prospect since LeBron, even elevating himself to possobly the #1 pick a year ahead of his original draft class. Third, he has the super high motor and skills to play both big man positions, along with some skills off the dribble and shooting(which is still developing). He is essentially already everything you would hope that Chriss could possibly turn into. I believe he will be another great fit as a two way player and especially defensively next to Jackson and the kind of player the Suns are trying to build around Booker with.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#202 » by kennydorglas » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:09 am

Ayton showing off his 43.5 MAX VERT
Should be a very entertaining draft at the top.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#203 » by DirtyDez » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:43 am

kennydorglas wrote:Ayton showing off his 43.5 MAX VERT

Isn't the max vert with one step off two feet? Still impressive... Randolph had some good stuff on Twitter as well.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
In2ition
Senior

Post#204 » by In2ition » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:03 pm

kennydorglas wrote:Ayton showing off his 43.5 MAX VERT

Are you serious? That's got to be crazy for a 7 footer. He didn't look anything like that in the All-Star game. I thought he was kind of plodding. Now, is he going to be a better shooting and freethrow shooting DeAndre Jordan or is he going to be the next David Robinson, who seemed to have a negative body fat %?

This is going to be a very interesting college and NBA season.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#205 » by ATTL » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09

I couldn't see the video of the tweet up above. That'd not how they measure very at the combine, right?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,368

Post#206 » by bwgood77 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:42 pm

Interesting mock. Has us taking Ayton with our own pick and Robert Williams with the Miami pick. https://www.cbssports.com/nba/photos/2018-nba-mock-draft/16/
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#207 » by ATTL » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:26 pm

bwgood77 wrote:Interesting mock. Has us taking Ayton with our own pick and Robert Williams with the Miami pick. https://www.cbssports.com/nba/photos/2018-nba-mock-draft/16/

Ugh, you have to click to a new page to see every pick.

Here you go so you don't need to click through

1. Cavs via bos via nets- Porter
2. Magic- starvin Marvin Bagley
3. Suns- Ayton
4. Bulls- Miles bridges (lol OK)
5. Pacers- doncic
6. Hawks- Bamba
7. Sixerz- sexton (k..just drafted a pg)
8. Kings- Wendell carter
9. Jazz- Knox
10. Knicks- Chimezie Metu
11. Mavs- jaren Jackson
12. Grizz- Lonnie walker
13. Blazers- Jared Vanderbilt
14. Pelicans- diallo
15. Suns via Heat- Robert Williams

I doubt Williams will be there for us at 15. I also doubt this is the order, or close to it, for the lotto picks.
kennydorglas

Post#208 » by kennydorglas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 am

I will keep an eye on Jaren Jackson Jr.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#209 » by Mulhollanddrive » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:59 am

I wonder if the new resting rules will affect hard tanks after February.

I think if every game is played on their merits we aren't worse than Chicago, Atlanta, New York, Brooklyn, Sacramento.

So if we do want a pick in the top tier of top 4-5 picks it will probably require some self-sabotage.

Alternatively we could look at our assets of net 2 x Firsts, 2 x Seconds and Vets and just play out the season normally, and try to trade up instead, even if it would be difficult.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: NBA Draft and NCAA Basketball 

Post#210 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:35 pm

About the 2019 draft, from Givony

1. Chicago Bulls
R.J. Barrett | Montverde Academy (HS Sr.) | SG | Age: 17

Barrett established himself as arguably the top prospect in high school basketball with a phenomenal showing at the U19 World Championship in Cairo this summer. He's a highly versatile wing player with tremendous scoring instincts.

New odds to win No. 1 pick (with worst record): 14.0 percent

2. Boston Celtics (via Kings)
Zion Williamson | Spartanburg Day (HS Sr.) | PF | Age: 17

Williamson is more than just a social media phenomenon, although his freakish explosiveness is a big part of what makes him special. He plays with a reckless abandon that scouts love to see and has a good feel for the game along with a willingness to defend. The big question mark is whether he can develop any type of jump shot, since he's not very tall at around 6-foot-7.

No. 1 pick odds: 14.0 percent

The Celtics will receive the better pick between Sacramento and Philadelphia (protected for No. 1) only if they do not receive the Lakers' pick in 2018 (protected for No. 1 and Nos. 6-30).

3. Atlanta Hawks
Sekou Doumbouya | Poitiers (France, international '99) | PF | Age: 16

Doumbouya wowed NBA scouts at the U18 European Championship last December, despite having turned 16 years old just days prior. He has been producing well in France at the pro level, too. He's an impressive athlete with a budding skill level offensively, but his jump shot and defensive intensity are a work in progress.

No. 1 pick odds: 14.0 percent

4. Brooklyn Nets
Cameron Reddish | Westtown School (HS Sr.) | SF | Age: 18

Reddish's production doesn't always match his potential, but he has enviable physical tools and impressive versatility on both ends of the floor. He can play (and guard) anywhere from 1-4, and has shown improvement with his jump shot. He willingly admits he needs to play with a higher intensity level, as he has a tendency to blend in at times relative to his talent level.

No. 1 pick odds: 12.5 percent

5. Phoenix Suns
Anfernee Simons | Edgewater HS (HS Sr.) | SG | Age: 18

Simons decommitted from Louisville as part of the ongoing FBI/DOJ NCAA investigation. He has recently developed into one of the most gifted scorers in high school basketball and carries significant upside thanks to his combination of physical tools and budding talent. He's the type of player for whom the game comes very easy.

No. 1 pick odds: 10.5 percent

6. Indiana Pacers
Immanuel Quickley | John Carroll School (HS Sr.) | PG | Age: 18

Quickley has prototypical size and length to go along with strong perimeter shooting prowess and multi-positional defensive versatility. He's a high-IQ guard who does a lot of the things you look for in a point guard his size.

No. 1 pick odds: 9.0 percent

7. New York Knicks
Nassir Little | Orlando Christian Prep (HS Sr.) | SF | Age: 17

Little's name has been mentioned in the recent FBI/DOJ NCAA investigation, which might complicate his college eligibility. He made a name for himself among NBA scouts with a strong showing at the Adidas EuroCamp in Italy this past June. His length, physicality and energy level on both ends of the floor, as well as his ability to score inside and out, really stood out.

No. 1 pick odds: 7.5 percent

8. New Orleans Pelicans
Quentin Grimes | Woodlands College Park (HS Sr.) | SG | Age: 17

Grimes is a tough, aggressive guard who does a little bit of everything on both ends of the floor. He has very good tools and instincts, but is still figuring out how to put it all together on a consistent basis in terms of polish and decision-making. Grimes improved significantly in the past year and still appears to have plenty of room to continue to grow.

No. 1 pick odds: 6.0 percent

9. Boston Celtics (via Grizzlies)
Romeo Langford | College Park HS (HS Sr.) | SG | Age: 17

Physical specimen of a wing prospect with excellent size, length, frame and athleticism. Langford is a dangerous open-court player who can also make shots impressively off the bounce. He also has significant potential defensively. His on-court decision-making and polish in the half court is still a work in progress.

No. 1 pick odds: 4.5 percent

The Grizzlies owe the Celtics their 2019 first-round pick, protected Nos. 1-8 in 2019, Nos. 1-6 in 2020 and unprotected in 2021.

10. Orlando Magic
Darius Garland | Brentwood Academy (HS Sr.) | PG | Age: 17

Arguably the most skilled, creative and polished point guard in his high school class, Garland had a tremendous showing at the Adidas EuroCamp in Italy in front of representatives from all 30 NBA teams. He does not possess great size, length or strength for his position, but his ability to play at different speeds and make shots from all over the floor gives him a chance to be a high draft pick if he continues to improve his physical profile.

No. 1 pick odds: 3.0 percent

11. Dallas Mavericks
Luka Samanic | Barcelona (Spain, international '99) | SF/PF | Age: 17

A 6-foot-11 combo forward who can shoot 3s, play above the rim and display great instincts defensively, Samanic was named MVP of the U18 European Championship Division B, despite playing up a year at the event. His toughness and intensity level have yet to match his overall talent.

No. 1 pick odds: 2.0 percent

12. Charlotte Hornets
Kevin Knox | Kentucky (NCAA Fr.) | SF/PF | Age: 18

Knox is one of a half-dozen players on Kentucky's roster who fancy themselves as wings or combo forwards, none of whom has a consistent jump shot in his arsenal at the moment. He's a fluid athlete who can guard multiple positions when motivated, but he'll have to show he can buy into his role as an energy giver and make shots consistently from the perimeter to cement his standing among NBA decision-makers.

No. 1 pick odds: 1.5 percent

13. Detroit Pistons

Nickeil Alexander-Walker | Virginia Tech (NCAA Fr.) | PG | Age: 19
A combo guard with the size and length to play either backcourt position, the Canadian shows solid creativity and instincts on both ends of the floor. He's in a strong situation to continue to develop the things he needs to work on, namely his strength, toughness and polish, but has good upside thanks to his versatility and budding talent.

No. 1 pick odds: 1.0 percent

14. Los Angeles Lakers
Emmanuel Akot | Arizona (NCAA Fr.) | SF | Age: 18

Akot has good size, strength and athleticism for a combo forward, as well as strong versatility on both ends of the floor. He is dangerous in the open court, can make an open 3-pointer and plays with significant energy defensively. The Canadian does not have great length, nor is he an overly polished half-court player offensively.

No. 1 pick odds: 0.5 percent

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/20846890/2019-nba-mock-draft-zion-williamson-rj-barrett-more-top-prospects
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#211 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Way too early to be mocking 2019.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
kennydorglas

Post#212 » by kennydorglas » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:58 pm

Barrett over Zion? ok
Five foot Eighton

Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#213 » by bwgood77 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:09 pm

kennydorglas wrote:Barrett over Zion? ok

There is just more of a premium on wings than on undersized PFs that can't shoot.
kennydorglas

Post#214 » by kennydorglas » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:41 pm

bwgood77 wrote:

There is just more of a premium on wings than on undersized PFs that can't shoot.

Barrett cant shoot either.
Five foot Eighton

Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
In2ition
Senior

Post#215 » by In2ition » Sun Oct 1, 2017 2:01 am

kennydorglas wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Barrett cant shoot either.

Barrett completely dominated the U19 tournament and the US team with kids 3 yrs older on it.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#216 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Oct 2, 2017 3:13 am

Just from prototypes McDonough will be all over Bagley (modern athletic big) and Doncic (all round skilled wing).
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#217 » by MrMiyagi » Mon Oct 2, 2017 4:19 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Just from prototypes McDonough will be all over Bagley (modern athletic big) and Doncic (all round skilled wing).

Ayton and Bamba are most certainly on his mind. Len has been disappointing, I'm sure he's looking at those two as defensive anchors - which we desperately need - as well as stretch bigs.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#218 » by bwgood77 » Mon Oct 2, 2017 5:05 am

He will be all over whoever is there when we pick. I don't think we will be slotted top 3, so it will depend. I'm sure he loves Doncic. The rest of the guys, too early to judge. But yeah, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a defensive center either.

People always say BPA...if he views Doncic as a superstar franchise talent above the guys at the C position where we have a need, and you trust his judgement, he's gotta take him, especially in this positionless game these days.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#219 » by Mulhollanddrive » Mon Oct 9, 2017 7:03 am

Sacramento coach says they will periodically rest veterens this season.

They don't have a pick next season, seems they're in pre-tanking mode already.

Chicago, Sacramento, Atlanta, NY are going so hard I'm not sure whether to get my hopes up for any of the top guys.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#220 » by Bogyo » Mon Oct 9, 2017 4:33 pm

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Sacramento coach says they will periodically rest veterens this season.

They don't have a pick next season, seems they're in pre-tanking mode already.

Chicago, Sacramento, Atlanta, NY are going so hard I'm not sure whether to get my hopes up for any of the top guys.

Top 6 looks good to me. I'm sure there will be 1-2 guys who are head and shoulders above the rest with one year NCAA experience (Euroleague for Doncic), but we are the Suns so we will not jump ahead in the lottery as we all know. :D
But even if we pick 6th, and the top5 is: Porter, Bagely, Ayton, Doncic, Bamba (in some order) we can still pick Sexton who is a Dennis Smith Jr level prospect in my opinion, minus the injuries. Then we don't necessarily have to pay Bled the max which he does not deserve (and that's not even considering his knees). Or one of Jaren Jackson, Wendell Carter or Robert Williams will have such a good season that they'll be worthy of that pick, and we'll be happy with them most likely.

Return to Phoenix Suns