ImageImageImage

NBA Draft and NCAA Basketball

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who would you take at 3 if Ayton/Doncic gone?

Bamba
13%
Bagley
16%
Jackson
13%
Porter
36%
Young
23%

Total votes: 70

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Re: NBA Draft and NCAA Basketball 

Post#241 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:04 am

Bogyo wrote:Yep, I've been also saying for a while now - we have too much young guys needing playing time, and not enough talent. 4 draft picks will only add to this problem, so why do it? Package the Miami pick, the two 2nd rounders and maybe even a player to trade up, or get a better (or just as good of a pick) down the line. Heck, we could even package our pick and the Miami pick to move up a cpl spots if we really like somebody and they are available.

I think with the amount of youth we already have, I too think we should package and consolidate those picks into the highest pick possible. That or trade down for contributing young talent.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#242 » by bwgood77 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:09 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
Bogyo wrote:Yep, I've been also saying for a while now - we have too much young guys needing playing time, and not enough talent. 4 draft picks will only add to this problem, so why do it? Package the Miami pick, the two 2nd rounders and maybe even a player to trade up, or get a better (or just as good of a pick) down the line. Heck, we could even package our pick and the Miami pick to move up a cpl spots if we really like somebody and they are available.

I think with the amount of youth we already have, I too think we should package and consolidate those picks into the highest pick possible. That or trade down for contributing young talent.

It's pretty rare that teams are able to trade up in the draft by consolidating 2nd round picks, particularly late 2nd round ones. Personally I'd rather use the picks. That's your best bet to snag some late steals. The more swings you take, the better chance you have in hitting that Gobert or Jokic or Draymond Green late.

Just because we have guys like Mike James, DJJ, Davon Reed, Peters, etc, that doesn't mean you should be content with all the young guys you have when you are one of the worst teams in the league.

If we don't use them, chances are we will sell them. We could try and use them to dump a contract, but those low picks don't hold much value in salary dumps. I mean one of those picks we acquired was what it took for us to take on a couple million dollar contract in Daniels.

The Warriors bought a pick and took Jordan Bell mid 2nd. The Celtics got Semi Ojelewe at 37. These could both be useful players.
I mean these guys we would take mid 2nd might not pan out but they are our's for FREE.

I think when you get into the 2nd round it is even more of a crapshoot so the more swings you have to take, the better. If we somehow end up with too much talent at some point, that's a good problem to have. We could always just replace our two way players, may trade Chandler away, Len may walk, may trade Dudley. Who knows about Knight?

We can't assume all these young guys we have will pan out either.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#243 » by DirtyDez » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:11 am

fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#244 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:51 am

DirtyDez wrote:Image

Man, he's even more buff than I was as a freshman in college.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#245 » by Bogyo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Let's make sure this guy doesn't change states next june. :)

(pretty much the only exciting thing about this basketball season so far...)
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#246 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Need to see if he likes contact and playing inside.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#247 » by bwgood77 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:39 pm

1 Ayton highlight around 2:30 but then a bunch start at around 4:30 on...

Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#248 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:55 am

If Trevon Duval could shoot he'd be right up there, probably still the best PG prospect of this class with a non top 5 pick.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#249 » by gaspar » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter

Best prospect since LeBron.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#250 » by ATTL » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:04 am

Read on Twitter

I mean, just like josh Jackson looked like a perfect fit, so does ayton.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,170

Post#251 » by MrMiyagi » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:09 am

Ayton is a videogame character. My god.

Zo is looking really good too. I can't wait to watch Cats Basketball.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#252 » by kennydorglas » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Ayton has definitely some KAT vibe from me.
Top prospect who dropped in the HS rankings due to motor/fitness.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#253 » by darealjuice » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Only 2 weeks until college basketball starts to tip off, I can't wait. Lots of interesting prospects on non-powerhouse teams like Mizzou with Porter, Texas with Bamba, Bama with Sexton, etc., but I'm most excited to get a good look at Bagley at Duke and Ayton at Arizona. Ayton could definitely be our guy, although I'd love to see the hometown kid be the last piece to bringing this team back from the ashes.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#254 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:20 pm

I really hope Bamba and couple others have standout seasons to create a top 6-7 as I think that's our likely pick area.

Doncic, Bagley, Porter, Ayton look pretty safe bets to remain high.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#255 » by kennydorglas » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:28 pm

darealjuice wrote:Only 2 weeks until college basketball starts to tip off, I can't wait. Lots of interesting prospects on non-powerhouse teams like Mizzou with Porter, Texas with Bamba, Bama with Sexton, etc., but I'm most excited to get a good look at Bagley at Duke and Ayton at Arizona. Ayton could definitely be our guy, although I'd love to see the hometown kid be the last piece to bringing this team back from the ashes.

Bama will definitely be on my shortlist.
Avery built a very good program there.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
bhawk
Pro Prospect
And1: 713

Post#256 » by bhawk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:45 pm

One of the downfalls to winning is draft position. There are some bad teams that may have a better chance at top 5. Not saying that the Suns tank... but other teams are. Watson and Bledsoe were our rank commanders.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM

Post#257 » by Mulhollanddrive » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:48 pm

This would be a good year to get lucky with ping pong balls for the first time.

I'm most excited about Bagley he could be unstoppable off the dribble like Giannis or Griffin with his handles and exposiveness for a big.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#258 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:09 pm

ATTL wrote:
Read on Twitter

I mean, just like josh Jackson looked like a perfect fit, so does ayton.

Whenever I think of this coming draft for the Suns, Ayton is the player that comes to mind. Its a need thing and what would fit best with the rest of the team.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#259 » by Bogyo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:47 pm

Well, I say that there will be at least 2 guys who come up during NCAA season, so even top 7 could be very good, besides the obvious top5. Jarren Jackson, Wendell Carter, Collin Sexton all have a good chance to have very good seasons for their respective teams, then there is Robert Williams (if he improves, and doesn't regress like Rabb did), and Miles Bridges looks like a pretty sure pick at this stage (might be had with the Miami pick with a bit of luck). That's 10 guys right there.

One last thing: I know that Doncic is an unathletic european kid, but what he is doing right now is nothing short of amazing. He is kicking some serious butt against grown man, who are playing professional basketball for 10-20 years now, in the second best league in the world. He is the leader of a team that could beat the 2-3 worst NBA teams this season, that's for sure. Oh, and he just won the european championship. I don't even have a good comp for him, as his performance is unprecedented for his age. LeBron was killing high school kids, this dude is teaching game to old men. He should be No1 in all mocks as of now - and I'm pretty sure he will slide with the hype college players will get. But somebody will be really happy if they can pick him 3rd or 4th in the lottery.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,038

Post#260 » by sunsbg » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Bogyo wrote:Well, I say that there will be at least 2 guys who come up during NCAA season, so even top 7 could be very good, besides the obvious top5. Jarren Jackson, Wendell Carter, Collin Sexton all have a good chance to have very good seasons for their respective teams, then there is Robert Williams (if he improves, and doesn't regress like Rabb did), and Miles Bridges looks like a pretty sure pick at this stage (might be had with the Miami pick with a bit of luck). That's 10 guys right there.

One last thing: I know that Doncic is an unathletic european kid, but what he is doing right now is nothing short of amazing. He is kicking some serious butt against grown man, who are playing professional basketball for 10-20 years now, in the second best league in the world. He is the leader of a team that could beat the 2-3 worst NBA teams this season, that's for sure. Oh, and he just won the european championship. I don't even have a good comp for him, as his performance is unprecedented for his age. LeBron was killing high school kids, this dude is teaching game to old men. He should be No1 in all mocks as of now - and I'm pretty sure he will slide with the hype college players will get. But somebody will be really happy if they can pick him 3rd or 4th in the lottery.

Doncic will be very good. He is not just a talented kid, he really loves the game and plays with passion. A true SF body, true SG scoring skills, true PG skills. Him, Booker, JJ and Bender - best passing team in the league, no doubt about it.

Return to Phoenix Suns