The Official Mike James Fan Club

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 734

Re: The Official Mike James Fan Club 

Post#41 » by A_dub06 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:03 am

Good day Phoenix fans

I realise the thread title is about Mike James, but I have a question regarding James vs Ulis as the starting point guard (assuming a Bledsoe trade doesn’t being in another starting pg). Does the front office have more confidence in James as a player to keep him as the starter this season if the aim is to develop and get a high draft pick? I recently picked up Ulis in fantasy thinking James won’t be in the teams long term plans but as a Detroit fan I haven’t read too much about the suns mindset. Am I wrong in thinking the Suns value Ulis more from a long term perspective than James? Or will the player that produces more each night simply receive the bulk of the minutes? Any info is greatly appreciated and good luck for the season!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#42 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:16 am

I think Mike James can be starter for rest of season with a younger PG coming off the bench whether that's Ulis or an acquired PG.
PhxLax
Junior
And1: 295

Post#43 » by PhxLax » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:28 am

I've flipped James v. Ulis in my fantasy league like 3 times this week even b4 the Bledsoe sent-home trade thing.

At this point it's safe to say Suns simply DON'T KNOW what they wanna do. Both will play and one will obviously start. Coach Jay Triano seems to favor Mike James...He's got that underdog swag and gives the team a more dynamic player.

That is not to say Ulis stinks. I think he's one of the smartest-IQ players on the team. This is simply a guess, but I think Mike James is the long-term starter for the season w/ Ulis getting a lot of run off the bench as 7th or 8th guy. Both will be productive....

All this ASSUMES there's no other relevant PG coming into town via trade that would require playing time for evaluation and/or development (e.g. Mudiay, Brogdon, Ntilikina, etc.). 'Cause I can see one of these youngsters coming into town as the backup while they insert Ulis as starter and say bye-bye to Mikes James as well.

Who knows....
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,167

Post#44 » by bigfoot » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:42 pm

Doesn't look like a rookie to me!!!

jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#45 » by jcsunsfan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:54 pm

I must admit, Mike James has surprised me. In summer league, he scored well but did not move the ball well. He looked like a me-first pg, which is not impressive. He was much different last night.

He is not overly athletic but he is quite aggressive and he is a good finisher at the rim.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,700

Post#46 » by Qwigglez » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Qwigglez wrote:I'll say this... if Mike James isn't starting by after the all-star break I will really question the direction of this team! Are we trying to tank?! Are we trying to win?!

I'm confused more now. :crazy:
Mike James starting = wins
I thought for sure we'd be losing...
bigfoot

Post#47 » by bigfoot » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:I'll say this... if Mike James isn't starting by after the all-star break I will really question the direction of this team! Are we trying to tank?! Are we trying to win?!

I'm confused more now. :crazy:
Mike James starting = wins
I thought for sure we'd be losing...

Its funny but Mike James passed the eye test for me in the preseason and the first three games. Much like PJ Tucker you just notice the swagger and determination that was missing in the other players. Last night what surprised me most was how calm he looked. Then he starts making some really, really nice assists that we haven't seen since the Nash days. That really did surprise me. His court vision was much better than I expected.

I can't help but think a battle for PG minutes between James and Ulis is going to make this team better. They both can make the pass but can turn it on when a shot is needed. Ulis really did a good job scoring during that stretch late in the third quarter and early fourth quarter. I am excited about our PG rotation and can't really say that when Bledsoe was leading the team. He just never looked like a leader and James/Ulis both do.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#48 » by Mulhollanddrive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:00 pm

Who knows we could have him as a minimum salary backup PG on a championship run in 2020.

He's playing better than Derrick Rose.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#49 » by gaspar » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:26 am

Read on Twitter
bigfoot

Post#50 » by bigfoot » Wed Nov 1, 2017 2:26 am

Another stellar outing for James ... one of the top rookies in the league right now.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#51 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Nov 1, 2017 3:30 am

Mike "I wanna be here" James.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#52 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Nov 1, 2017 4:28 am

ROY candidate!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
RaisingArizona
RealGM
And1: 7,101

Post#53 » by RaisingArizona » Wed Nov 1, 2017 4:58 am

Pleasantly surprised with what he's offered the team in the absence of Bledsoe.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#54 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Nov 1, 2017 5:48 am

He's been great. Love the energy level and he's an NBA athlete.

The rookie stuff with a guy like him is kind of funny though. Sure he's a rookie by NBA rules but dude has played a lot of professional basketball against grown ass men. Plus he's in the prime of his physical life. It shouldn't be shocking that a guy like that assimilates quicker to the NBA than a 19 year old.

Now I think its great to have guys like him who have took the long hard road to scratch and claw their way into the league around young players. It shows them the dedication and effort level it takes to stay in the league because there are guys like James who will come for your roster spot if you relax and think you made it just because you were a high pick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#55 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Nov 1, 2017 6:22 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:He's been great. Love the energy level and he's an NBA athlete.

The rookie stuff with a guy like him is kind of funny though. Sure he's a rookie by NBA rules but dude has played a lot of professional basketball against grown ass men. Plus he's in the prime of his physical life. It shouldn't be shocking that a guy like that assimilates quicker to the NBA than a 19 year old.

Now I think its great to have guys like him who have took the long hard road to scratch and claw their way into the league around young players. It shows them the dedication and effort level it takes to stay in the league because there are guys like James who will come for your roster spot if you relax and think you made it just because you were a high pick.

But it is shocking that a guy that old is a rookie. Usually guys that old are rookies because they are bad players.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#56 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Nov 1, 2017 6:55 am

Jc - what I think is rare is a guy his age got an opportunity. There are some good American players who are playing well overseas but the simple reality is teams spend their end of the bench spots on super young guys who they hope will pop. The recent roster expansion should help that and directly helped james get in the league.

The other rare thing is him sticking it out this long trying to get his shot. A ton of tallented guys don't have the mental toughness and drive to grind it out years in remote places around the world.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#57 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Nov 1, 2017 7:08 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Jc - what I think is rare is a guy his age got an opportunity. There are some good American players who are playing well overseas but the simple reality is teams spend their end of the bench spots on super young guys who they hope will pop. The recent roster expansion should help that and directly helped james get in the league.

The other rare thing is him sticking it out this long trying to get his shot. A ton of tallented guys don't have the mental toughness and drive to grind it out years in remote places around the world.

Sometimes you get a lucky break. He performed fairly well in summer league and with all the youngsters, they Suns needed a little older influence in the locker room. Its not a bad thing, with young players, to have a vet who had to claw and scratch to get his opportunity.

But honestly. In August, the Suns depth at pg was Bledoe, Ulis, Knight. Not much opportunity there for James. But Knight goes down, and Bledsoe bails, meanwhile Mike excels and Ulis is just still really young. All of the sudden he is starting and playing his guts out because this is probably the only shot he will ever get.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#58 » by gaspar » Wed Nov 1, 2017 7:35 am

Read on Twitter
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,912

Post#59 » by Fo-Real » Wed Nov 1, 2017 2:15 pm

Lead Assistant
And1: 777
Re: GT: Suns (2-4) @ Nets (3-4) - Tues, Oct 31, 7:30pm EST YES
Post#72 » by bws94 » Today 12:01 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
this dude mike james can ball. where the hell did he come from???

I don't know, but he looks good.

Taken from the Nets game thread, LET THEM KNOW MIKE JAMES, LET THEM KNOW!!! LOL
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,481

Post#60 » by bwgood77 » Wed Nov 1, 2017 3:18 pm

Oh, the power of cosmo's positivity (or negativity about the other point guards we had/have at time of post). Dare I ever doubt again.

Return to Phoenix Suns