ImageImageImage

COACH WATCH - APRIL 28 POLL UPDATE

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

APRIL 28 UPDATE: Which Coach that we have talked to would you like to see hired?

Kokoškov
77%
Clifford
4%
Nurse (UPDATED)
3%
McHale
2%
Triano
1%
Vogel
1%
Blatt
7%
Borrego
2%
Del Negro
2%
Finch (UPDATED)
3%

Total votes: 111

cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Re: COACH WATCH - APRIL 19th POLL UPDATE 

Post#1501 » by cberry78 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:59 am

Blackification wrote:I don't get why we haven't tried to interview Messina and are going with the lesser known guy. Oh wait I remember, Sarver doesn't want to pay money.

Because he's the heir to the Spurs Dynasty whenever Pop decides to call it quits (which could be this year for all we know). I'd be willing to bet that he's been given permission to pursue head coaching jobs but has declined to do so because he knows this.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#1502 » by cberry78 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 am

Can we remove Vogel from the poll and replace him with Kim Jung Un & Rodman? :lol:
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#1503 » by gaspar » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:43 pm

Kerrsed wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Sarver and McD are probably frantically searching for a couple of others they could add to the list and make finalists that would make people want kidd.

Maybe like robert horry, or announce a plan to bring marcus morris back as a player coach. See what lindsey hunter is up to these days.

Could give Bruce Bowen and Mario Elie both a call.

I hear Kim Jong Un loves basketball and is interested...

Spoiler:

Too bad Fidel Castro is dead. He was a baller back in the day. I bet he would be a better coach than Kidd.
BobbieL
RealGM
And1: 6,785

Post#1504 » by BobbieL » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:32 pm

Midnight_Suns wrote:
Revived wrote:Watching Utah play with so much ball movement...it's honestly a joy to watch basketball like that.

That's what I envisioned we would be with Budenholzer....and now we're in talks with guys like Jason Kidd, Kevin McHale, Vinny Del Negro etc :noway:

and Igor Kokoskov, who's helped orchestrate this Jazz team.

I would agree. I think Igor K would bring a better style of play to the team than those names mentioned, especially Kidd. The key for the Suns now is not a coach during the game "onscreen" - its that coach in the practice time, strategizing how to get the players to improve and play good smart fundamental basketball. Hoping still for Igor Kokoskov
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Post#1505 » by Revived » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Wonder if there’s any truth to this about Fizdale also withdrawing from the Suns job

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1697649&start=180#p65519053
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#1506 » by kennydorglas » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:10 pm

So college coaches dont want to make the move to the NBA anymore?
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
starbosa10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#1507 » by starbosa10 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:18 pm

kennydorglas wrote:So college coaches dont want to make the move to the NBA anymore?

Honestly dont see why they would. College coaches have more control over their program
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 5,893

Post#1508 » by TeamTragic » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Revived wrote:Wonder if there’s any truth to this about Fizdale also withdrawing from the Suns job

Sarver has officially lost his damn mind. We are low-balling even the trash coaches.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#1509 » by BobbieL » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:09 pm

GoranTragic wrote:
Revived wrote:Wonder if there’s any truth to this about Fizdale also withdrawing from the Suns job

Sarver has officially lost his damn mind. We are low-balling even the trash coaches.

I hope he is not low-balling coaches again. I know he has been talking a good game but the proof will be in actions. And his head coach hire - is a key one.

Sarver may tell Bickley and everybody he has changed - this coaching hire will tell the story.
SkinnyOMiller
Junior
And1: 417

Post#1510 » by SkinnyOMiller » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:07 pm

BobbieL wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:

I hope he is not low-balling coaches again. I know he has been talking a good game but the proof will be in actions. And his head coach hire - is a key one.

Sarver may tell Bickley and everybody he has changed - this coaching hire will tell the story.

How I wish Sarver would just opt to take the money and cash out. Sell the team to someone competent and understanding of how to run a winning organization. His group would stand to make about a billion dollars in profit from the sale of the team.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#1511 » by BobbieL » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:29 pm

SkinnyOMiller wrote:
BobbieL wrote:
GoranTragic wrote:

How I wish Sarver would just opt to take the money and cash out. Sell the team to someone competent and understanding of how to run a winning organization. His group would stand to make about a billion dollars in profit from the sale of the team.

his ego won't allow it
he doesn't get that he if just lets Ryan and James do their jobs - or maybe find competent people - he will make money , maybe win championships.

I am sure its tough for him to keep his mouth shut. But like I said, when the season ended, he needed to take a 90 day trip with minimal cell service and just let people do their jobs and come back after free agency
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#1512 » by stitches » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:47 pm

What do you guys think is the status of Ryan McDonough's job security? From what I've heard in passing it's not very secure(correct me if I'm wrong) and if that's the case - is there a reason why your ownership is allowing him to conduct the search for the new coach rather than hiring a new GM with vision to bring his own coach? It would be awkward if for example Sarver fires McDonough next year and the new GM is stuck with a coach he didn't choose... or am I off here?
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#1513 » by darealjuice » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:51 pm

stitches wrote:What do you guys think is the status of Ryan McDonough's job security? From what I've heard in passing it's not very secure(correct me if I'm wrong) and if that's the case - is there a reason why your ownership is allowing him to conduct the search for the new coach rather than hiring a new GM with vision to bring his own coach? It would be awkward if for example Sarver fires McDonough next year and the new GM is stuck with a coach he didn't choose... or am I off here?

He just got a 3 year extension last offseason, so I don't know if he's in the hot seat or anything. With that said, he's talked a lot about trying to bring in veterans and put together a team capable of winning games this offseason. If he doesn't deliver some results from that I could see easily him being ousted in the next year or two, especially if it blows up in his face.
BobbieL
RealGM

Post#1514 » by BobbieL » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:05 pm

darealjuice wrote:
stitches wrote:What do you guys think is the status of Ryan McDonough's job security? From what I've heard in passing it's not very secure(correct me if I'm wrong) and if that's the case - is there a reason why your ownership is allowing him to conduct the search for the new coach rather than hiring a new GM with vision to bring his own coach? It would be awkward if for example Sarver fires McDonough next year and the new GM is stuck with a coach he didn't choose... or am I off here?

He just got a 3 year extension last offseason, so I don't know if he's in the hot seat or anything. With that said, he's talked a lot about trying to bring in veterans and put together a team capable of winning games this offseason. If he doesn't deliver some results from that I could see easily him being ousted in the next year or two, especially if it blows up in his face.

Ryan better do something this offseason
He should be talking to Neil Olshey already - granted Allen has money to pay the lux tax
He should be talking to Kupchak already - just asking about players for expirings
I think he should be talking to Morey - "Daryl - you want cap space for LBJ - we can take Gordon and Tucker for nothing, just take them off your hands"
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,477

Post#1515 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:06 pm

darealjuice wrote:

I agree, I don't think he's on the hot seat. Now if we finish below 30 wins next year barring massive injuries, he might be unless we see massive improvement in our players and the competitiveness in games. I wouldn't expect him to go anywhere in the next couple of years but perhaps they wouldn't renew his contract if we are still not near 500 in 19-20.

Not sure at all who he'd bring in though. Maybe David Griffin if they still have a decent relationship?
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,586

Post#1516 » by JayMKE » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:11 pm

The thing with Kidd is if he comes he will 100% want to wield his influence over the FO, that's basically what got him fired in Milwaukee. He basically wanted to be GM and POBO on top of his responsibilities as a coach, pretty much the same happened in Brooklyn too. The one thing you guys got going for you with Sarver is that he might not be willing to pay Kidd what he wants, I really hope this guy sells this team ASAP.
FREE GIANNIS
Waylay13
Rookie
And1: 904

Post#1517 » by Waylay13 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:22 pm

GoranTragic wrote:

Since we have stated that we are doing multiple interviews and the second one are just starting or have yet to start no one has gotten a offer so, no we are not low-balling anyone.

Just say no to idiots!!
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#1518 » by kennydorglas » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:24 pm

starbosa10 wrote:
kennydorglas wrote:So college coaches dont want to make the move to the NBA anymore?

Honestly dont see why they would. College coaches have more control over their program

It's interesting to see how those dynamics changed lately.
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,666

Post#1519 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:29 pm

I think a lot of college coaches would love to make the jump to the NBA. These guys are competitive and the chance to coach at the highest level is a goal for many. But realistically only a very select few draw any interest from NBA teams. And the guy who would draw the most interest in Wright is in a situation that doesn't make sense to leave.

Brad Stevens is the exception and not the rule when it comes from going directly from college to the pros and having success. Most of the time it just hasn't worked out.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Waylay13
Rookie
And1: 904

Post#1520 » by Waylay13 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:12 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I think a lot of college coaches would love to make the jump to the NBA. These guys are competitive and the chance to coach at the highest level is a goal for many. But realistically only a very select few draw any interest from NBA teams. And the guy who would draw the most interest in Wright is in a situation that doesn't make sense to leave.

Brad Stevens is the exception and not the rule when it comes from going directly from college to the pros and having success. Most of the time it just hasn't worked out.

I wonder how many NBA teams are staying clear of college coaches with the big NCAA/FBI investigation going on right now.

Just say no to idiots!!

Return to Phoenix Suns