ImageImageImage

COACH WATCH - APRIL 28 POLL UPDATE

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

APRIL 28 UPDATE: Which Coach that we have talked to would you like to see hired?

Kokoškov
77%
Clifford
4%
Nurse (UPDATED)
3%
McHale
2%
Triano
1%
Vogel
1%
Blatt
7%
Borrego
2%
Del Negro
2%
Finch (UPDATED)
3%

Total votes: 111

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Re: COACH + GM WATCH 

Post#61 » by Revived » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:02 am

lilfishi22 wrote:You're a McD supporter?

Hehe good catch, I fixed it. I’m ok with him staying for his 4th coaching hire but not past that if that one doesn’t work out either.
darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#62 » by darealjuice » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:36 am

McDonough better be spending every waking minute of this season searching for the head coach that will develop these kids and lead us to wins next year if he really wants to "accelerate the timeline." If we're serious about developing these guys then we need to do it by bringing in a proven coach or a coveted assistant from a top coach's coaching tree. Triano has been an improvement on Watson, but we need to at least try to find someone better.
batsmasher
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#63 » by batsmasher » Mon Feb 5, 2018 9:47 am

I dunno.... seeing what Triano was doing right after he took over, I think that means something. That team looked like an actual basketball team (which Suns fans frankly haven't seen for quite a while)

We've never really had a great coach under McD nor have we had a great roster. In my eyes Triano has shown enough signs of life to suggest he's probably not be the problem. He says a lot of the right things off the court & he's pretty decent as a Xs & Os guy.

Our roster isn't pretty and it's hard to maximize talent that doesn't exist. How are we supposed to be anything but the worst defense in the NBA? We were starting a 4'2" PG who couldn't defend a stick. That didn't work and now we're starting a slow, poor defensive 2, at the 1? And we're putting next to him a fringe bench guy who's never defended a guard in his life, TJ (who has never been a + defender), Marquese (do I really need to justify this?) and Tyson (who is 35 going on 65 and would have been retired or on a vet minimum if not for the Suns generosity).

Like really... where the hell is this defensive improvement meant to come from? Dragan? JJ? In what galaxy are two guys that can't legally drink going to be responsible for improving the defense of your team? It's just not possible.

Purposing the blame for this tank job to anyone other than McD is downright unfair. Triano has been completely and utterly hamstrung.
de'aaron fox will be a hof'er, don't @ me
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,690

Post#64 » by Qwigglez » Mon Feb 5, 2018 10:00 am

Steve Nashidis wrote:If there was a movie with a title "The suspicious GM", Mc Donough will earn an Oscar. :noway:

He acts like he wants to fix Boston Celtics, his former team, rather than Phoenix Suns.

I cant stand that Monroe has no trade value , in this market, when there is plenty of teams that they are looking for a C, with so many injuries. It is like we buyout the value of Bledsoe. There is no make sense.

Here is the list of the "gifts" to Boston, 2 of them i think is from McDonough

-1st round unprotected 2018 pick from Lakers, with the bad trade of Brandon Knight ( not directly to Boston, via 76ers)
-Isiah Thomas. An all star player, who brings Kyrie in Boston. hmmmm
-Monroe free contract.

----------------------------------------------------

As for coach , we need one who can train young players into contenders, to inspire them. Not any more lost seasons, with bad moves in this team.

(sorry for my english)

In 2014-15 We also traded the Wolves (top 12 protected) pick to the Celtics in exchange for Brandon Wright, who left us after that season. The pick converted into two 2nd round picks in 2016 and 2017 though. Those picks turned into Rade Zagorac and Semi Ojeleye. Though, the very next pick in 2016 was actually Malcolm Brogdon, so we could have kept the pick and taken Ulis and Brogdon then... :banghead:
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#65 » by kennydorglas » Thu Feb 8, 2018 5:47 pm

I want Jay Wright
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,379

Post#66 » by Puff » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:06 am

1UPZ wrote:
Mulhollanddrive wrote:Triano Defensive Rating in NBA:

2018: 29th
2011: 30th
2010: 30th
2009: 22nd

This.

I'm open for Triano to stay as Assistant Coach. And it seems he is just a transitional coach and he accepts that.... But Suns need to get over offense only systems... Even D'Antoni has embraced defensive players in his lineups... Ariza, Capela, Tucker, that guy with a funny name, Chris Paul etc.

Come on, just stop the D'Antoni crap. It really get old after awhile. Most all of it is just nonsense and jealousy.

He finally has a GM/owner capable of acquiring defensive players to support his system. He never had that in Phoenix, New York or LA.

I expect he would have loved to have players like Ariza, Capela, Tucker & Chris Paul in Phoenix - New York or LA.

Which player of that magnitude did he not play when he coached at any of his previous spots?

Oh that's right you cannot name any.

Hopeful McDonough can acquire some of those type of players for Triano. Jackson was a good start but he is pretty lonely on the defensive end. It appears like everyone is convinced that Triano is a lousy defensive coach. The fix is to get some defensive players not a new head coach.

What coach that Amare or Nash played for made either of them a defensive force?
      "Fire Jones and Vogel. Hire a GM that can trade one or more of the Big Three that will allow us to be watchable again" :crazy:
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#67 » by Damkac » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:21 pm

Hiring a good coach is the most important thing for the Suns this offseason. More important than who we will get in the draft. It's clear Triano is not the answer. Just being better than our former "coach" is not enough. Every team Triano coached was terrible on defense. Suns needs to finaly find a defensive-minded coach. I'm tired of players scoring their career highs against Suns.
Please McD make a good choice and please Sarver don't save money by signing the cheapest coach available. You can't **** this up! WE NEED A GOOD COACH WHO WILL STAY WITH THE TEAM FOR MANY YEARS! Otherwise no amount of high draft pick will help us.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#68 » by Damkac » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:04 pm

Revived wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:Triano is not just OK. He has been excellent.

At what? Tanking? Both Chriss and Bender have regressed. The Suns margin of defeat under Triano is higher than any other coach in Suns history (and probably nba history too but haven’t looked that one up yet).

Triano would be the cheap choice so I’m sure Sarver is on board.

Right, I understand we lose a lot with such a young team but our roster is not bad enough to get crushed by mediocre teams.
Watson was fired because of those nightmare loses, it would make no sense to fire Triano at this point of the season but he can't be HC next season.
Revived
RealGM

Post#69 » by Revived » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:21 pm

darealjuice
Suns Forum Future All Star
And1: 8,784

Post#70 » by darealjuice » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:32 pm

I'd like to think the Suns aren't incompetent enough to hire a coach that could potentially go to prison lol
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#71 » by thamadkant » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:34 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Phoenix Suns interim head coach Jay Triano would like to have the interim taken away from his title.

“I hope so and I am of course. I love this area, I love this team, I love the players here. When you work with them everyday like I do, you start to build that relationship. I want to see them do well, I want to see them excel.

“I came here with that purpose in mind — not necessarily to be the head coach — but now that I’ve had the opportunity, I’d like to see this through and see where we go. There’s not one thing I dislike about what’s happened so far except the losing, but I want to be part of that as we try to fix that moving forward.”

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/heat-index/2018/02/20/phoenix-suns-head-coach-jay-triano-devin-booker-z/356710002/

He can move back to lead assistant.... similar money, still around the team, still gets to input a lot and see players on a daily basis... but someone else more strict and more discipline to make the final calls on the court....
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#72 » by kennydorglas » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:00 am

LOL at hiring Sean 'freakin' Miller
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#73 » by bwgood77 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:02 am

Revived wrote:

At what? Tanking? Both Chriss and Bender have regressed. The Suns margin of defeat under Triano is higher than any other coach in Suns history (and probably nba history too but haven’t looked that one up yet).

Why are you responding to comments over a month old? Oh, and Bender has played his best ball under Triano. He's obviously not consistent and can be a frustrating player but he has made some development under him.
Revived
RealGM

Post#74 » by Revived » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:52 am

bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:

Why are you responding to comments over a month old? Oh, and Bender has played his best ball under Triano. He's obviously not consistent and can be a frustrating player but he has made some development under him.

It was posted last month, I didn’t see it earlier to respond to.

Bender may not have regressed like I said originally only because there was nothing to regress from since he was basically nothing his rookie year. But this year, I don’t think he has made anywhere close to the development the Suns expected from him in his second season when they made him the 3rd overall pick of the draft. His basketball IQ is high and 3pt shot and rim protection is “okay” but that’s about it as of now.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#75 » by bwgood77 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:09 am

Revived wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:At what? Tanking? Both Chriss and Bender have regressed. The Suns margin of defeat under Triano is higher than any other coach in Suns history (and probably nba history too but haven’t looked that one up yet).

It was posted last month, I didn’t see it earlier to respond to.

Bender may not have regressed like I said originally only because there was nothing to regress from since he was basically nothing his rookie year. But this year, I don’t think he has made anywhere close to the development the Suns expected from him in his second season when they made him the 3rd overall pick of the draft. His basketball IQ is high and 3pt shot and rim protection is “okay” but that’s about it as of now.

I think everyone knew Bender was raw. He didn't do anything last year and has shown some good things this year with his 3 pt shooting, defense and vision. Of course it is frustrating he hasn't developed more so far and been more aggressive, but the team is still usually better when he is on the floor, like tonight. He needs to finish more instead of pass if around the basket when he gets the ball, or even take it to the rim more, and we've seen it. I don't think his lack of more development lies on Triano much at all...as a matter of fact I think he probably helps it, even though it's not evident.

Frankly I think without our level of talent, partly due to age and no real solid vets, it would be very tough for any coach to do much better right now. We need a drastic overhaul in talent level, and that should partially happen due to internal growth since most of our guys playing are really young. I don't think any other team plays as many young guys so many minutes outside of maybe Memphis with the way they are playing.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#76 » by jcsunsfan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:22 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Revived wrote:

Thank you. I looked at that quote and realized I posted that when the Suns were playing reasonably well. I am fine with going through the interview process. Triano has done some good things as coach. But if we can get someone better, great. I was a fan of Messina myself.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,359

Post#77 » by AtheJ415 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:21 am

Imo, Triano has been good at holding people accountable, but we really ought to be able to get someone better.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#78 » by TASTIC » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Triano has been solid for sure and I like that nobody has been gifted minutes. Chriss lapses or doesn't play hard, he gets yanked immediately - that sort of thing.

I'd either be on board with giving him a crack, or I think they kick the tyres on Jay Wright from Nova again.

OR...Sarver fires McD and James Jones takes over, where he promptly hires Fizdale - which is my prediction :)
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#79 » by bwgood77 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:11 pm

TASTIC wrote:Triano has been solid for sure and I like that nobody has been gifted minutes. Chriss lapses or doesn't play hard, he gets yanked immediately - that sort of thing.

I'd either be on board with giving him a crack, or I think they kick the tyres on Jay Wright from Nova again.

OR...Sarver fires McD and James Jones takes over, where he promptly hires Fizdale - which is my prediction :)

Did they kick the tires on Jay Wright before?

Edit: Never mind, I guess they were, according to this...

after Villanova won its second national title (and first since 1985), the Phoenix Suns were very interested in Wright.

https://www.nysportsday.com/2017/12/24/jay-wright-remains-tempted-by-the-nba-but-still-loves-villanova-too-much-to-leave/
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#80 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:26 pm

TASTIC wrote:Triano has been solid for sure and I like that nobody has been gifted minutes. Chriss lapses or doesn't play hard, he gets yanked immediately - that sort of thing.

I really think that opinion on his discipline has been highly skewed by the Yoga instructor era where there was no discipline on display at all. He's not particular innovative or a real disciplinarian in any sort of way (like a Carlise/Pop). Even if you take away the first two 40 point losses we had under Watson, Triano still has two under his belt. Not saying players don't like him but there's been questions about the intensity of the practice sessions and I think that's evident in how we play during games, with a lack of intensity and discipline.

Personally, I think if we're changing directions ie ending this tankfest, then I wouldn't necessarily want to keep Triano as HC for another 2-3 seasons. If we're changing direction and want to become a playoff contender then let's get a coach who has some fire under him. I wouldn't be opposed and I don't think JT would be opposed to returning as a head assistant so I'd rather go down this route.

Then again I wouldn't be surprised if Sarver decides Triano is the "best" option for us seeing as he's probably one of the cheaper HC options and Sarver has never invested in the head office.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame

Return to Phoenix Suns