ImageImageImage

A guide to Elfrid Payton

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Re: A guide to Elfrid Payton 

Post#21 » by OrlandoDream » Fri Feb 9, 2018 12:58 am

lilfishi22 wrote:How's his attitude and in the locker room? By all measures, Chriss is also a "good kid" but his attitude absolutely stinks on the court so I just want to know how EP is on the court. I can't stand a crappy attitude when your talent doesn't give you any leeway

Attitude has never been a problem with him. He is really kept to himself and really quiet. Never had any conflicts with teammates that I recall. On the court, his attitude was never a problem.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#22 » by woosah » Fri Feb 9, 2018 1:45 am

He was voted teammate of the year last season.
https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2016/08/05/orlando-magic-vote-elfrid-payton-teammate-of-the-year-in-nbpa-awards/

He is well liked. He is super laid back and many fans did not like that. He seems to play better when you tick him off and he feels he has something to prove. He will probably go into a shell to observe everybody and try to find his fit. Locker room issues should not be an issue though.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#23 » by thamadkant » Fri Feb 9, 2018 2:53 am

CajunBall wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Golanator wrote:
Welcome.

I'm sorry, but welcome.

Give it time. It gets old quick.

What gets old quick?

Women after menopause *badumtish*...

Sorry
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#24 » by Damkac » Fri Feb 9, 2018 7:15 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:How's his attitude and in the locker room? By all measures, Chriss is also a "good kid" but his attitude absolutely stinks on the court so I just want to know how EP is on the court. I can't stand a crappy attitude when your talent doesn't give you any leeway

Attitude has never been a problem with him. He is really kept to himself and really quiet. Never had any conflicts with teammates that I recall. On the court, his attitude was never a problem.

woosah wrote:He was voted teammate of the year last season.
https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2016/08/05/orlando-magic-vote-elfrid-payton-teammate-of-the-year-in-nbpa-awards/

He is well liked. He is super laid back and many fans did not like that. He seems to play better when you tick him off and he feels he has something to prove. He will probably go into a shell to observe everybody and try to find his fit. Locker room issues should not be an issue though.

No wonder he became friend with Warren.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#25 » by No-Man » Fri Feb 9, 2018 2:30 pm

pros;

he is a NBA player
can play back-up PG during the RS

cons;

probably unplayable in the POs in any serious series
if you are enamored with him and peg him as a starter or pay him more than back-up money you are insane
investing an asset of any kind for a player of this ilk is stupid (a good 2nd rounder like McD did) those type of players are attainable easy every year at any point, there are a bunch of solid back-up Guards even playing EuroLeague
I think he ends up taking the QO and staying for another year, which is fine, but I'd still prefer to have that 2nd, for either a flyer on an archetype that makes sense or for a trade

Overall I don't get spending anything on guys like Payton, at least Livingston is/was good on defense+versatile+has amazing IQ on offense, Payton needs to be featured more.

Dunno, I just hope they don't get married to him at all.
CajunBall
Junior
And1: 233

Post#26 » by CajunBall » Fri Feb 9, 2018 4:34 pm

Pros:
Really good facilitator, gets your team a lot of open shots
Good finisher at the rim (was/is second only to James Harden amongst pgs this season)
Good ball handler
Good penetrator, can pretty much get to the basket at will
Takes smart shots
Pretty good on-ball defender, causes a number of opponent turnovers that don't show up on the stat sheet
Really good in transition
Good at finishing through contact
Doesn't take a ton of shots
Cons:
Not very good at team defense, specifically pick & roll
Tends to float around and gamble too much in half-court defense
Obviously outside shooting is not his forte so far however he's improved little by little every year
Inconsistent at the stripe
Inconsistent motor
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#27 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Feb 9, 2018 4:37 pm

Actually a quality facilitator, good defender, and an efficient scorer who doesn't shoot alot is the perfect pg for this Suns team. If he can actually be that, its a good thing.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#28 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:05 pm

Damkac wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:

That "quietness" on the court is the problem. He's not a leader. He's a really bad defender, thinks he can turn the switch on and off when he really isnt talented enough to do that, plays well when the pressure is off of him, he's a bad 3pt shooter (The stats say otherwise but thats on one 3pt attempt per game) and his play is inconsistent. Because he was just traded you're going to see something totally different for the first few games. but once the novelty wears off you'll start picking up on some his shortcomings and how significant they are.
He's a good back up PG though. He has to have the ball in his hands to be effective, attacks the rim and finishes well, good court vision, good in transition (when the switch isnt off and hes running), and CAN be a pesky defender when engaged.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
CajunBall
Junior
And1: 233

Post#29 » by CajunBall » Fri Feb 9, 2018 8:53 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Damkac wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:Attitude has never been a problem with him. He is really kept to himself and really quiet. Never had any conflicts with teammates that I recall. On the court, his attitude was never a problem.

That "quietness" on the court is the problem. He's not a leader. He's a really bad defender, thinks he can turn the switch on and off when he really isnt talented enough to do that, plays well when the pressure is off of him, he's a bad 3pt shooter (The stats say otherwise but thats on one 3pt attempt per game) and his play is inconsistent. Because he was just traded you're going to see something totally different for the first few games. but once the novelty wears off you'll start picking up on some his shortcomings and how significant they are.
He's a good back up PG though. He has to have the ball in his hands to be effective, attacks the rim and finishes well, good court vision, good in transition (when the switch isnt off and hes running), and CAN be a pesky defender when engaged.

What's the purpose of this, he's not on your team anymore?
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#30 » by hollywood6964 » Fri Feb 9, 2018 10:42 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Damkac wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:Attitude has never been a problem with him. He is really kept to himself and really quiet. Never had any conflicts with teammates that I recall. On the court, his attitude was never a problem.

Even that's enough to get us 2-3 extra wins this year, considering we've been starting g leaguers all year, n blow the tank. Orlando did themselves a favor, cunning move to help take us out of the race for the bottom.
DaleyBlind
Veteran
And1: 1,832

Post#31 » by DaleyBlind » Fri Feb 9, 2018 10:46 pm

CajunBall wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Damkac wrote:

Its a common thing for opposing fans to come in other teams subs to **** on their former players when they get traded, they probably did the same with Dipo and Harris.
DaleyBlind
Veteran

Post#32 » by DaleyBlind » Fri Feb 9, 2018 10:47 pm

hollywood6964 wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Damkac wrote:

Even that's enough to get us 2-3 extra wins this year, considering we've been starting g leaguers all year, n blow the tank. Orlando did themselves a favor, cunning move to help take us out of the race for the bottom.

Orlando will just trade their high pick later anyway
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,723

Post#33 » by sunsbum » Fri Feb 9, 2018 10:59 pm

Bucks fans came onto our board when we got Knightmare warning us that the 7th seal was about to be broken. We all laughed and continued on with our orgies and parties. Sometimes they know, I don't think Elfrid is anywhere near the terribleness level of BK though.
Flex is now your father.
DaleyBlind
Veteran

Post#34 » by DaleyBlind » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:20 am

sunsbum wrote:Bucks fans came onto our board when we got Knightmare warning us that the 7th seal was about to be broken. We all laughed and continued on with our orgies and parties. Sometimes they know, I don't think Elfrid is anywhere near the terribleness level of BK though.

Speak for yourself, i hated the Knight trade from day 1.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#35 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:26 am

https://www.facebook.com/OrlandoMagic/videos/vl.1575515645872170/10155315073686909/?type=1

As you can see by the video the talk of him being this shy quiet person on the court isn't really accurate. People just say it because they assume it to be the case because he is stand-offish with the media. He's actually a really unselfish person in general, very supportive of his teammates and very well liked by by them.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#36 » by woosah » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:32 am

DaleyBlind wrote:
CajunBall wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:That "quietness" on the court is the problem. He's not a leader. He's a really bad defender, thinks he can turn the switch on and off when he really isnt talented enough to do that, plays well when the pressure is off of him, he's a bad 3pt shooter (The stats say otherwise but thats on one 3pt attempt per game) and his play is inconsistent. Because he was just traded you're going to see something totally different for the first few games. but once the novelty wears off you'll start picking up on some his shortcomings and how significant they are.

Its a common thing for opposing fans to come in other teams subs to **** on their former players when they get traded, they probably did the same with Dipo and Harris.

Hmm. I guess. With Dipo there were some negative posts but it wasn't really about Oladipo. The OKC and ORL fans that were assessing the trade before it happened got nasty with each other over slights about the value of the player. That carried on after it happened with okc saying they won and ORL getting upset and denying. Most were mad when Harris was traded so most of the negativity was toward our FO. I'm sure people pointed out weaknesses but i don't recall people saying he was trash. With this one, many were calling for him to be traded because (as you see above) they didn't think he was a starter and wanted to tank. So you would think they would be happy. Following to the next team to take one last shot just seems silly but whatevs. You all will get to see for yourself shortly.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#37 » by lilfishi22 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:35 am

sunsbum wrote:Bucks fans came onto our board when we got Knightmare warning us that the 7th seal was about to be broken. We all laughed and continued on with our orgies and parties. Sometimes they know, I don't think Elfrid is anywhere near the terribleness level of BK though.

I'm not dismissing what they warned us about but our expectations for BK were significantly higher and when we were forced to resign him, those expectations had to grow with that salary. We also gave up a lot for him.

Payton is different. We only gave up a second rounder so we're not married to the idea of resigning him as a a must.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#38 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:25 am

He cannot pass up open shots like Ulis.

Defenses will protect the paint against Jackson, Warren, Chandler, Len and double Booker daring him to shoot.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,940

Post#39 » by OrlandoDream » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:12 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Damkac wrote:

I personally hope he becomes your PG all-star of the future and solidifies himself with Booker as one of the best backcourts in the West.....that way Trae Young will fall to Orlando's lap :nod:

Your team is our biggest threat to landing Trae Young. If you look at the top tanking teams, the Phoenix and Orlando are the only ones that dont have their PG of the future.
NavLDO
Suns Forum Defensive Player of the Year
And1: 1,425

Post#40 » by NavLDO » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:56 pm

OrlandoDream wrote:Just to add to what SOUL said, I caution your expectation for Payton. I hope he proves me wrong because he might actually be a great compliment player to Booker. Yes he is a good kid but not a great NBA player. He still cant shoot consistently and has little confidence in himself. When he misses alot of shots or gets blocked he gets down on himself and it affects his shooting and defense. His play on the court is really affected by his emotions. EP is an emotional guy.

The hair....yes we know. Prety sure 99% of the fanbase has been wanting to get rid of that dead animal on his head for a while now. And yes it does affect his shot. I stopped caring a while ago and knew was not going to be with us next season.

With all that said, I wish him well. I hope he finds success in Phoenix and helps you win some games. Mostly because I want PHX out of the tank race and you guys are our biggest threat for Trae Young lol.

Maybe they discussed a little side deal, too, as part of the trade, like if the Suns still end up in front of the Magic on Draft Day, following the Lottery (yeah right...the Suns pick following the Lottery being higher than the slot they owned before entering the Lottery...pfffft...ohhh-kaaayyy...suurrrrrre...) but I digress...anyway, IF that were to happen, like I was saying, maybe they agreed that the Suns would select Young, then when Magic selected, they would pick who we want from what's left over, and Orlando would return the 2nd Rd pick from this trade, plus a future 2nd thrown our way for the trouble. Sound good?

And thanks for the 'well wishes'. Good luck to Orlando. I know it sucks to have a Top 10 pick just a few years ago, only to have that pick turn into nothing (read: Alex Len). But at least Payton will get some burn here as a starter, and will be useful, so it wasn't like he was a total bust or anything.

Return to Phoenix Suns