ImageImageImage

What is your draft big board? Any updates?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Re: What is your draft big board? Any updates? 

Post#161 » by bwgood77 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:29 am

Waylay13 wrote:
ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:As of today, I'm at:

1. Doncic
2. Ayton
3. Young
4. Jackson, Jr.
(5. Bagley)

IMO, in most years, any of these guys would be a likely top 2 pick. So I'll be happy adding any of these players.

What ultimately turned me on JJ v. Bagley was the FT%. They each have elite skills, but JJ's shooting seems much more likely to translate. The thought of a 7' Shawn Marion is deeply tantalizing to me personally, but Shawn was the game's best defender for several years (though the fact was unrecognized by many). And while I do think Bagley will improve defensively, there is also little reason to think JJ won't improve on the other end. So I've come around to the consensus.

If we select Ayton with our top pick, I would look into dealing the #16, and focus on adding a guard at #31. If we select Doncic or Young, I would look into dealing the #31 and focus on adding a center at #16.

Marion was first and foremost an outstanding rebounder with an amazing second leap. One thing that just about every scout says about JJ is that he isnt a good rebounder.

I thought he was comparing Bagley to Marion, but Marion without the defense (just more the energy with rebounding and putting back). So I don't know how valuable Marion without the defense is but that is probably similar to what Bagley might end up being I think.
SunZel
Rookie
And1: 280

Post#162 » by SunZel » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:40 am

My board is Doncic or Ayton and im leaning towards Doncic. Then i say go for robert williams with next pick. I want a pg who can shoot and i dont see any great ones later in the draft or F A.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#163 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:11 pm

1. Ayton
2. Bagley
3. Young
4. Doncic
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#164 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:54 pm

jcsunsfan wrote:1. Ayton
2. Bagley
3. Young
4. Doncic

This is what my board would look like if I ranked them by personal excitement level.
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#165 » by saintEscaton » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Porter >Bagley if his health checks out since he dominated him in high school in their head to heads. Yeah Bagley is a pogo stick and human highlight reel but he is more of a rich man's Faried/poor man's Blake with bad standing reach/length although he little more developed face up game at this stage minus the ball skills. MPJ could be a better Tatum with a smoother perimeter shot and more size(2inches . Like a more fluid, little less athletic Paul George which is a franchise player and at the minimum a 20 PPG scorer as his floor, whereas Bagley could end up being an energy bunny 4/5 tweener role player if he can't protect the rim/cover stretch 4s, and has to be relegated to being a paint clogging center offensively
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Post#166 » by Phystic » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:47 pm

My personal preference is Ayton over Doncic. Not gonna go further than that. I have to believe the Suns will finally catch a lotto break
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,172

Post#167 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:46 am

AYTON

DONCIC

I think we should be looking to guarantee one of those guys. Trade up for #1 or #2 if you have to, but I think those two are a cut above.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#168 » by bwgood77 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:38 am

saintEscaton wrote:Porter >Bagley if his health checks out since he dominated him in high school in their head to heads. Yeah Bagley is a pogo stick and human highlight reel but he is more of a rich man's Faried/poor man's Blake with bad standing reach/length although he little more developed face up game at this stage minus the ball skills. MPJ could be a better Tatum with a smoother perimeter shot and more size . Like a more fluid, little less athletic Paul George which is a franchise player and a 20 PPG scorer as his floor, whereas Bagley could end up being an energy bunny 4/5 tweener role player if he can't protect the rim/cover stretch 4s, and has to be relegated to being a paint clogging center offensively

Glad to see you back with your thoughts on the draft since you usually have some good input. I pretty much agree with the take here though I don't think any prospect as Paul George as a floor. But if he can be anything like PG/KD that would be nice. It's too bad we couldn't see him in college.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#169 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:48 am

Another underwhelming playoff game by Doncic he took a total of 3 shots in 26 minutes he cannot create seperation when the defense is locked in. There isn't any rule that says there has to be a star in the top 7 but I am leaning to taking Ayton for his floor if he plays 30 minutes he'll average 18-11 without even trying.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#170 » by bwgood77 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:57 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Another underwhelming playoff game by Doncic he took a total of 3 shots in 26 minutes he cannot create seperation when the defense is locked in. There isn't any rule that says there has to be a star in the top 7 but I am leaning to taking Ayton for his floor if he plays 30 minutes he'll average 18-11 without even trying.

Doncic is basically just facing the same type of pressure Trae did. Being double teamed. That won't happen as much in the NBA. Plus, the 3 second rule is going to help in a ton. When defenders can just stand in the paint all day against him it's tough.

I do think Ayton will likely put up better numbers early if the offense goes to him a lot, but I think within time there is a good chance Doncic is the more important player for a team. I mean there are so many question marks for both and both could go a myriad of ways but I think Doncic's iq and work ethic is stronger. Ayton obviously has the perfect NBA size and a lot of skill to take advantage of too. Both struggle, but Doncic is playing against far tougher competition.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#171 » by Damkac » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:40 am

Why are you discussing Doncic and Ayton? They won't fall to 4th.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,172

Post#172 » by MrMiyagi » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:23 am

Damkac wrote:Why are you discussing Doncic and Ayton? They won't fall to 4th.

Haven't you heard? Michael and Jontay Porter are the locks for 1 and 2. :wink:
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
saintEscaton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,865

Post#173 » by saintEscaton » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:00 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
saintEscaton wrote:Porter >Bagley if his health checks out since he dominated him in high school in their head to heads. Yeah Bagley is a pogo stick and human highlight reel but he is more of a rich man's Faried/poor man's Blake with bad standing reach/length although he little more developed face up game at this stage minus the ball skills. MPJ could be a better Tatum with a smoother perimeter shot and more size . Like a more fluid, little less athletic Paul George which is a franchise player and a 20 PPG scorer as his floor, whereas Bagley could end up being an energy bunny 4/5 tweener role player if he can't protect the rim/cover stretch 4s, and has to be relegated to being a paint clogging center offensively

Glad to see you back with your thoughts on the draft since you usually have some good input. I pretty much agree with the take here though I don't think any prospect as Paul George as a floor. But if he can be anything like PG/KD that would be nice. It's too bad we couldn't see him in college.

I meant that as his ceiling. At the worst he is a Rudy Gay kind of volume scorer (thats the comp Tatum received as well and now he has outgrown it0
Jonestown Suicide Squad

[. Sign the Petition To Force Sarver Into Selling Our Team

https://www.change.org/p/robert-sarver-sell-the-phoenix-suns-basketball-team-2

jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#174 » by jcsunsfan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:13 pm

Porter is a wild card. His back issues are not trifling matter.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#175 » by thamadkant » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:02 am

Does anyone else see similarities with Bagley and John Collins from Hawks? No?

I see both are athletic PFs with average wingspan but springy.... Bagley has more scoring moves though but Collins is the better defender.
In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#176 » by In2ition » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:01 pm

thamadkant wrote:Does anyone else see similarities with Bagley and John Collins from Hawks? No?

I see both are athletic PFs with average wingspan but springy.... Bagley has more scoring moves though but Collins is the better defender.

I agree, and see the similarities. Isn't Collins about 3 yrs older though?
Years90Suns
Senior
And1: 280

Post#177 » by Years90Suns » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:51 pm

If we get the first pick, I would select Ayton. He is much different physically. He can shoot, run, block shots and especialy he can defend a C and a PF. He is 7-1 and can create his own shot.
If we get the number 2 pick and Ayton is gone, then I would select Doncic. I believe he is the best basketball player in this year's draft, but I am not sure he can show that on a court due to his relative lack of athleticism. He really has an advantage over the rest of the players thanks to his playing time in professional basketball, but that will level up with time.
He is intelligent, he can shoot, can handle the ball very well for a 6-8/6-9 player. He is already a little overweight while still 18. He has a tendency to gain weight.
He is the best player available right now, but he does not play the position that best fits us. Actually, we have JJ, we have Warren and we have Booker. All three play where Doncic can play.

Good players are going to adapt, no doubt. For the moment I believe he would be our sixth man and he should share the court with JJ and Booker, with JJ taking the opposing PG.
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#178 » by MathiasPW » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 pm

I am willing to expand my board to pick 5 before I consider it to better trade it for an impact player. So now I have
1. Doncic
2. Ayton
3. Trae
4. Porter
5. Wendell Carter
6. Trade
kingstyyyle
Senior
And1: 179

Post#179 » by kingstyyyle » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:59 am

I keep going back and forth between Doncic and Ayton at one but I got Trae at 3 and Porter at 4 as well.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach

Post#180 » by jcsunsfan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:53 am

Years90Suns wrote:If we get the first pick, I would select Ayton. He is much different physically. He can shoot, run, block shots and especialy he can defend a C and a PF. He is 7-1 and can create his own shot.
If we get the number 2 pick and Ayton is gone, then I would select Doncic. I believe he is the best basketball player in this year's draft, but I am not sure he can show that on a court due to his relative lack of athleticism. He really has an advantage over the rest of the players thanks to his playing time in professional basketball, but that will level up with time.
He is intelligent, he can shoot, can handle the ball very well for a 6-8/6-9 player. He is already a little overweight while still 18. He has a tendency to gain weight.
He is the best player available right now, but he does not play the position that best fits us. Actually, we have JJ, we have Warren and we have Booker. All three play where Doncic can play.

Good players are going to adapt, no doubt. For the moment I believe he would be our sixth man and he should share the court with JJ and Booker, with JJ taking the opposing PG.

Doncic is growing by the day! Now he is 6-9!

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Return to Phoenix Suns