ImageImageImage

How Many More Head Coaches Does McDonough get to hire?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Re: How Many More Head Coaches Does McDonough get to hire? 

Post#21 » by Revived » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:01 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I will say for as negative as I am on McD I thought he was a good hire from a profile standpoint. A young guy from a good system in Boston. I was happy with the hire but I just take the honest view that it hasn't worked out.

This is exactly how I feel too. I don’t regret Sarver hiring McDonough because it felt like the right choice at the time. But it just hasn’t worked out.
Revived
RealGM

Post#22 » by Revived » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 am

The Suns could end up doing what the Lakers did and maybe a franchise great as President of Basketball Ops for the branding aspect and then hire actually qualified for the GM job.

Say, hire Steve Nash or Grant Hill as President of Basketball Operations in the Magic Johnson role and then hire someone like Bill Duffy (prominent agent & basketball mind who was also Nash’s agent) as General Manager in the Rob Pelinka role.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#23 » by RunDogGun » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Doesn’t Grant Hill still have a part ownership with the Hawks?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,664

Post#24 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Revived wrote:The Suns could end up doing what the Lakers did and maybe a franchise great as President of Basketball Ops for the branding aspect and then hire actually qualified for the GM job.

Say, hire Steve Nash or Grant Hill as President of Basketball Operations in the Magic Johnson role and then hire someone like Bill Duffy (prominent agent & basketball mind who was also Nash’s agent) as General Manager in the Rob Pelinka role.

It's a long shot but I don't think it's completely out of the question they would offer Nash a role similar to the Lakers offered Magic. Should be noted that Nash has a relationship with Triano from Canadian basketball so if something like this went down Jay might be the leading candidate for the job.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,379

Post#25 » by Puff » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pm

It's not even about the coaching it is about the end result of all his actions.

It's the crap that he said basically on the first day on the job. He was all about building assets. Well he has done a lousy job in accomplishing that goal and he has had 5 years to build those assets.

We cannot make any legitimate trades because we have no assets to make a deal, that is unless you want to trade Devin Booker or a top 5 draft pick.

Everyone, well it seems like everyone gets a boner when Ryan acquires draft choices. They continue to pimp the timeline as the reason. You need to make great picks or at least some good picks along the way to make the timeline work.

His drafts have been worse than his coaching picks. I feel sorry for the coaches, even Earl Watson. They just have not had much to work with.

2013 -
# 5 - Alex Len - Bust
#30 - Nemanja Nedovic - Not on Team
# 57 - Alex Oriankhi - Not on Team
2014 -
#14 - TJ Warren - Schools out but one of his better picks - limited in several areas
#18 - Tyler Ennis - Not on Team
#28 - Bogdan Bogdanovic - Not on Team
# 50 - Alec Brown - Not on Team
2015 -
#13 - Devin Booker - Solid Pick budding All Star
#44 - Andrew Harrison - Not On Team
2016 -
#4 - Dragan Bender - Schools out but could be bust - Can't have busts at #4
#8 - Chriss - See Bender - Can't have busts at # 8 - I really have a hard time watching this clown.
#34 - Tyler Ulis - Too short to ever be a factor in the NBA - lauded as a great pick - what a joke.
2017 -
#4 - Josh Jackson - Who knows at this point - Could be a bust Could be an all star - Can't have bust at #4
#32 - Davon Reed - Everyone wets their pants when they hear his name - I say he will not be on the team in the future - maybe as soon as next year
#54 - Alec Peters - Deserves to be in the G League

That is 14 draft picks - At this writing, only two are solid players going forward

In Addition:

Name one free agent he has signed that has made a difference on this team - Don't try to peddle off Chandler and Dudley. They were both overpaid and most wet their pants when we signed them. Should not have signed either of them. How could we possibly be worse without them?

Name one smart contract extension he has made to any player - Williams does not count, he has yet to play on his new potentially reasonable contract. Warren really too early to tell. It does look good. How about the contracts he gave to Bledsoe and Knight, how did those work out?

I remain, the blame should not be on the players or coaches for our pathetic team. It belongs squarely in the hands of Robert Sarver/Ryan McDonough.

I really cannot understand why McDonough gets any support from any Suns fan.

The Timeline is just a bunch of crap.

We are the laughing stock of the entire NBA. I do not know how anyone can say that our future is bright.

Who is to blame?

What is the justification for continuing to give Ryan McDonough the power to screw up another draft and make another poor coaching decision?

Oh, I almost forgot "The Timeline"
      "Fire Jones and Vogel. Hire a GM that can trade one or more of the Big Three that will allow us to be watchable again" :crazy:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#26 » by bwgood77 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Spoiler:
Puff wrote:It's not even about the coaching it is about the end result of all his actions.

It's the crap that he said basically on the first day on the job. He was all about building assets. Well he has done a lousy job in accomplishing that goal and he has had 5 years to build those assets.

We cannot make any legitimate trades because we have no assets to make a deal, that is unless you want to trade Devin Booker or a top 5 draft pick.

Everyone, well it seems like everyone gets a boner when Ryan acquires draft choices. They continue to pimp the timeline as the reason. You need to make great picks or at least some good picks along the way to make the timeline work.

His drafts have been worse than his coaching picks. I feel sorry for the coaches, even Earl Watson. They just have not had much to work with.

2013 -
# 5 - Alex Len - Bust
2014 -
#14 - TJ Warren - Schools out but one of his better picks - limited in several areas
2015 -
2016 -
#8 - Chriss - See Bender - Can't have busts at # 8 - I really have a hard time watching this clown.
#34 - Tyler Ulis - Too short to ever be a factor in the NBA - lauded as a great pick - what a joke.
2017 -
#4 - Josh Jackson - Who knows at this point - Could be a bust Could be an all star - Can't have bust at #4
#32 - Davon Reed - Everyone wets their pants when they hear his name - I say he will not be on the team in the future - maybe as soon as next year

That is 14 draft picks - At this writing, only two are solid players going forward

In Addition:

Name one free agent he has signed that has made a difference on this team - Don't try to peddle off Chandler and Dudley. They were both overpaid and most wet their pants when we signed them. Should not have signed either of them. How could we possibly be worse without them?

Name one smart contract extension he has made to any player - Williams does not count, he has yet to play on his new potentially reasonable contract. Warren really too early to tell. It does look good. How about the contracts he gave to Bledsoe and Knight, how did those work out?

I remain, the blame should not be on the players or coaches for our pathetic team. It belongs squarely in the hands of Robert Sarver/Ryan McDonough.

We are the laughing stock of the entire NBA. I do not know how anyone can say that our future is bright.

Who is to blame?

What is the justification for continuing to give Ryan McDonough the power to screw up another draft and make another poor coaching decision?

I think McD has been hit or miss, but I'm just not sure right now is the time to bring in a brand new group with their "5 year plan" and we start all over.

I was finally happy that Sarver was able to buy in the past year and a half after trying to compete with an aging roster for 3 years under McD instead of letting him rebuild like he wanted to. Sarver has mentioned he wishes he would have gotten on board sooner but was too impatient.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,637

Post#27 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 am

I think now is the perfect time to bring in a new group. McD has done a shoddy job of putting together a competitive team with this season hitting some historic lows. When we were trying to be good, we weren't and when we are bad, his picks have been so-so.

I think now is a good time to bring in some new blood, a new perspective and a new vision.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Scutt
Senior
And1: 552

Post#28 » by Scutt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:47 am

Puff wrote:It's not even about the coaching it is about the end result of all his actions.

2013 -
# 5 - Alex Len - Bust
2014 -
2015 -
2016 -
2017 -

In Addition:

Who is to blame?

I do not even know where to begin with this post. Up until these couple of Bookerless blowouts, I was just thinking how much more competitive and enjoyable the Suns are to watch as a team under Triano. This team is young and is going to lose a lot of games, but there is plenty to look forward to. I wish Suns fans would keep in mind that is organization has only truly committed to rebuilding for the last couple of years. Rebuilding teams do not give out a massive contract to Tyson Chandler, in the hopes of luring Aldridge. McD has not been perfect, and he has been pretty bad with player relationships, but the moves for Knight and Chandler have Sarvers desire to compete written all over them.

We have what looks like a franchise player in Devin Booker, with Josh Jackson and Bender both improving. Bender at the very least, will be a good rotational player, just based on the fact that he is a 7'1 player who can defend multiple positions and hit the 3. Jackson, plays with a never ending motor, has improved by leaps and bounds since the start of the season and displays a crazy amount of confidence. Those 3 have very bright futures, not to mention we are going to hopefully get another really talented guy in this draft to add to that core.

You say the Suns have no assets for a trade? Tj Warren averages almost 20 points a game and is locked up to a good long term deal. With Josh Jackson on the rise, Warren is the definition of an asset. Though I don't want to see him traded because if he ever learns to shoot the 3, he will be insane on offense.

Why are you listing 2nd picks as evidence of McD being a bad drafter? Do you know what the odds of 2nd round picks making the league? Len, Warren, Booker, Bender, and Jackson all look to be at the very least, rotational players. It is unfortunate that the Suns happen to have had top picks in very weak drafts, but again it is not like the players they have taken are busts. Even Chriss is still young and could figure it out. Its not like he has not shown flashes. When it comes to the draft, always remember:

McD and Sarver may not be the best in the league, but it does seem like they are learning from their mistakes. I could probably list at least a dozen teams that do not have as bright of future as we do. In a few years, when a prime Booker is draining 3's over an old Stephen Curry, you will see. Golden State was once a complete laughing stock, on a level the Suns are nowhere near, and look where they are now. The timeline might be a complete load of bs, but so is this idea of a winning culture. Talent wins in the NBA, plain and simple. These are not the dark days of a few seasons ago, playing a bunch of vet scrubs trying to fight for the 8th seed. We have young talent and we will start winning soon enough.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#29 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:49 am

Scutt wrote:
Spoiler:

2013 -
# 5 - Alex Len - Bust
2014 -
2015 -
2016 -
2017 -

In Addition:

Who is to blame?

I do not even know where to begin with this post. Up until these couple of Bookerless blowouts, I was just thinking how much more competitive and enjoyable the Suns are to watch as a team under Triano. This team is young and is going to lose a lot of games, but there is plenty to look forward to. I wish Suns fans would keep in mind that is organization has only truly committed to rebuilding for the last couple of years. Rebuilding teams do not give out a massive contract to Tyson Chandler, in the hopes of luring Aldridge. McD has not been perfect, and he has been pretty bad with player relationships, but the moves for Knight and Chandler have Sarvers desire to compete written all over them.

We have what looks like a franchise player in Devin Booker, with Josh Jackson and Bender both improving. Bender at the very least, will be a good rotational player, just based on the fact that he is a 7'1 player who can defend multiple positions and hit the 3. Jackson, plays with a never ending motor, has improved by leaps and bounds since the start of the season and displays a crazy amount of confidence. Those 3 have very bright futures, not to mention we are going to hopefully get another really talented guy in this draft to add to that core.

You say the Suns have no assets for a trade? Tj Warren averages almost 20 points a game and is locked up to a good long term deal. With Josh Jackson on the rise, Warren is the definition of an asset. Though I don't want to see him traded because if he ever learns to shoot the 3, he will be insane on offense.

Why are you listing 2nd picks as evidence of McD being a bad drafter? Do you know what the odds of 2nd round picks making the league? Len, Warren, Booker, Bender, and Jackson all look to be at the very least, rotational players. It is unfortunate that the Suns happen to have had top picks in very weak drafts, but again it is not like the players they have taken are busts. Even Chriss is still young and could figure it out. Its not like he has not shown flashes. When it comes to the draft, always remember:

McD and Sarver may not be the best in the league, but it does seem like they are learning from their mistakes. I could probably list at least a dozen teams that do not have as bright of future as we do. In a few years, when a prime Booker is draining 3's over an old Stephen Curry, you will see. Golden State was once a complete laughing stock, on a level the Suns are nowhere near, and look where they are now. The timeline might be a complete load of bs, but so is this idea of a winning culture. Talent wins in the NBA, plain and simple. These are not the dark days of a few seasons ago, playing a bunch of vet scrubs trying to fight for the 8th seed. We have young talent and we will start winning soon enough.

Great post!
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,181

Post#30 » by Frank Lee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Puff.... apparently you dropped these

Dont worry, there are plenty around
What ? Me Worry ?
Puff
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by Puff » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:15 pm

I know I am in the minority, you all can just keep riding the McDonough Spin train, your choice not mine.

We can review my remarks at a later date. I have made similar comments about poor decisions this franchise has made since the day Sarver purchased this franchise. Those comments have been about player decisions, coaching decisions and management decisions. Being a big fan I have bought into the spin that was created after every questionable move and hoped for the best after every decision. I bought into the timeline or whatever the word of the day was at the time. Sarver inherited a team ready to win Championships and required just a few skillful tweaks to accomplish that goal. Under his ownership he has tweaked us into oblivion.

If things come up roses by next March I will eat the proverbial crow and I will enjoy every bit of it. No championship is required just respectability on a nightly basis. That is all I ask. I would love to enjoy watching every minute of every Suns basketball game again.

If things stink as they do now, I will provide the I told you so routine like you have never seen before. Of course I expect he will have another spin routine already prepared.

I know some kind of bad luck will fall down upon poor Ryan that stops him from providing a good product for us to watch and the spin will continue. That is the true prediction I make. That is what happens in a Sarver led franchise. I have watched this act since the day he purchased this franchise.

Somehow results do not really matter to most of you folks.
      "Fire Jones and Vogel. Hire a GM that can trade one or more of the Big Three that will allow us to be watchable again" :crazy:
Puff
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by Puff » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:33 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Scutt wrote:
Spoiler:

2013 -
# 5 - Alex Len - Bust
2014 -
2015 -
2016 -
2017 -

In Addition:

Who is to blame?

Great post!

We will see how pleased you are after the upcoming off season. I have heard this stuff before.

Just because we are young does not mean we are any good.

I think most of you value our assets far more than the rest of this planet.

We will see which of the assets McDonough has accumulated in 5 years that he can package to get legit help in return this summer. I thought he learned how to do that from Danny Ainge. That was what was said when he was hired 5 years ago, correct. I am still waiting. I really do not think TJ Warren would bring much in return. As stated by many, SF's that cannot shoot the 3 ball are not in much demand these days.

The only thing I really agree with is that I like Triano as our coach going forward and he deserves better. I think he has done a very good job. My fear is that Ryan will move on to another coach just to cover his proverbial ass.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#33 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 pm

From 2013 when McD took over this team, we went from a lotto-bound to a lotto bound team that's now the butt of jokes around the league. To some McD is almost never at fault, and I was certainly in that boat with that mindset for a long time. When we make a bad move to try and compete, it's Sarver's fault. When we pick in the top 5, it's a **** draft. When we are forced to trade disgruntled players, it's those players fault for being disgruntled.

Ultimately, this is a result driven league and GM's should be evaluated based on results. So either McD is just the unluckiest GM of all time getting great picks exactly some of the worst drafts in recent history or perhaps, he's just not as good as some think he is.
mikea7
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#34 » by mikea7 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:04 am

Puff wrote:I know I am in the minority, you all can just keep riding the McDonough Spin train, your choice not mine.

We can review my remarks at a later date. I have made similar comments about poor decisions this franchise has made since the day Sarver purchased this franchise. Those comments have been about player decisions, coaching decisions and management decisions. Being a big fan I have bought into the spin that was created after every questionable move and hoped for the best after every decision. I bought into the timeline or whatever the word of the day was at the time. Sarver inherited a team ready to win Championships and required just a few skillful tweaks to accomplish that goal. Under his ownership he has tweaked us into oblivion.

If things come up roses by next March I will eat the proverbial crow and I will enjoy every bit of it. No championship is required just respectability on a nightly basis. That is all I ask. I would love to enjoy watching every minute of every Suns basketball game again.

If things stink as they do now, I will provide the I told you so routine like you have never seen before. Of course I expect he will have another spin routine already prepared.

I know some kind of bad luck will fall down upon poor Ryan that stops him from providing a good product for us to watch and the spin will continue. That is the true prediction I make. That is what happens in a Sarver led franchise. I have watched this act since the day he purchased this franchise.

Somehow results do not really matter to most of you folks.

I've been a Suns fan since 1992. I grew up with this franchise, watching or listening to nearly every game for 25 (!) years.

How many Finals have we reached? How many championships have we won? Bad luck has followed us since the "coin flip" and we're still, what, the 4th winningest franchise in league history?

In that time, many GMs have come and gone. There have been two owners. With one, we went to 3 conference finals in 5 years. Under the other, we were entertaining, but only got to the Finals twice.

Unfortunately, because we're dealing with human beings, we can't predict a "can't-miss" prospect. We can't predict what catastrophic injuries will occur. The "great minds" at the top of every franchise have had about as much luck as they have skill. Kobe wasn't necessarily supposed to be Kobe coming out of HS. KG was supposed to win multiple titles for MN. KD wasn't a consensus first pick. James Harden tends to disappear under pressure. Steph Curry was hurt for the first 3 years and certainly wasn't looked upon as all-everything even when he was healthy.

I, with several friends, questioned the Booker pick. He was a tweener without much of a track record.

I know we all think we can do better. I'm not sure I see an ownership group that I would take over Sarver--and don't say "anyone's better!" We all know that's not true. Look around the league at the futility and get some perspective.

There needs to be more parity in the league to increase interest outside of just a few markets. The draft lottery has not improved parity, and players are too free to cooperate with each other to form superteams.

If one of Chriss or Bender hits in his early 20s, what will you say about McD? What if Reed and Jackson significantly improve our perimeter defense as time goes on? I don't question Booker's drive, so I wonder what kind of defender he may be in a couple of years (think Klay, who was not hailed as some great defender early.)

What will happen is what always happens. Things go in cycles. McD, maybe even Sarver, will be gone when some of their decisions start to pan out. Triano's work with this young group will be almost forgotten by the time they come together in 2 or 3 years, and someone else will get the credit after building on the foundations he laid.

That's the way of life...and the NBA. I don't like having to be patient either. But, then, I didn't like losing to the Spurs over and over again either, or the Mavs when the Spurs were out of the way. I want entertainment and a title...well, at least as much as any other fan, and maybe more. But sometimes we need to withhold judgment...and sometimes for a long time.

I don't think MDA was THE ANSWER, btw. But that's also just as much luck as anything else. Mark my words on this: the Rockets are not winning a title any time soon...at least, not given their guys' track records and what I've seen so far.
Scutt
Senior

Post#35 » by Scutt » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:42 am

lilfishi22 wrote:From 2013 when McD took over this team, we went from a lotto-bound to a lotto bound team that's now the butt of jokes around the league. To some McD is almost never at fault, and I was certainly in that boat with that mindset for a long time. When we make a bad move to try and compete, it's Sarver's fault. When we pick in the top 5, it's a **** draft. When we are forced to trade disgruntled players, it's those players fault for being disgruntled.

Ultimately, this is a result driven league and GM's should be evaluated based on results. So either McD is just the unluckiest GM of all time getting great picks exactly some of the worst drafts in recent history or perhaps, he's just not as good as some think he is.

Before McD took over, Sarver gave us a teams of Dragic, Beasley, Shannon Brown, and Gortat. They were trying to sell fans that we were rebuilding and competing at the same time. We were the laughing stock then, with no true young talent. Now we at least have Booker and Jackson, two players that most other teams would love to have as rebuilding pieces. I just don't get it, how are we in a worse spot since McD took over? Yes, this rebuild has taken longer than I think anyone would like, but as stated multiple times, the Suns did not truly commit to it until just a couple seasons ago.

Can you guys not see that when the Suns are fully healthy, with Booker, they are competitive most nights ? They are young, so they are not winning, but if you cannot see improvement from last year with Earl Watson, I do not know what to say.

I find this whole "the Suns are the laughing stock of the NBA" that so many are pushing to be comic gold. It must be the same people who get themselves worked up and convinced that Booker will not sign a a rookie max with us. For those that want to gut the team and surround Booker with a bunch of vets, just to try and make the 8th seed, go ask Pelican fans how that worked out early on with Anthony Davis.

At the end of the day, I know there are casual Suns fans out there that just want to be a mediocre playoff team, but I for one am happy the Suns finally have seen the light. For example, the Raptors might be the #1 seed in the East right now, but I wouldn't want to trade places with them. They are the new Atlanta Hawks, with no young talent on the roster, just rolling on that treadmill.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#36 » by lilfishi22 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:31 am

Scutt wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:From 2013 when McD took over this team, we went from a lotto-bound to a lotto bound team that's now the butt of jokes around the league. To some McD is almost never at fault, and I was certainly in that boat with that mindset for a long time. When we make a bad move to try and compete, it's Sarver's fault. When we pick in the top 5, it's a **** draft. When we are forced to trade disgruntled players, it's those players fault for being disgruntled.

Before McD took over, Sarver gave us a teams of Dragic, Beasley, Shannon Brown, and Gortat. They were trying to sell fans that we were rebuilding and competing at the same time. We were the laughing stock then, with no true young talent. Now we at least have Booker and Jackson, two players that most other teams would love to have as rebuilding pieces. I just don't get it, how are we in a worse spot since McD took over? Yes, this rebuild has taken longer than I think anyone would like, but as stated multiple times, the Suns did not truly commit to it until just a couple seasons ago.

Can you guys not see that when the Suns are fully healthy, with Booker, they are competitive most nights ? They are young, so they are not winning, but if you cannot see improvement from last year with Earl Watson, I do not know what to say.

I find this whole "the Suns are the laughing stock of the NBA" that so many are pushing to be comic gold. It must be the same people who get themselves worked up and convinced that Booker will not sign a a rookie max with us. For those that want to gut the team and surround Booker with a bunch of vets, just to try and make the 8th seed, go ask Pelican fans how that worked out early on with Anthony Davis.

At the end of the day, I know there are casual Suns fans out there that just want to be a mediocre playoff team, but I for one am happy the Suns finally have seen the light. For example, the Raptors might be the #1 seed in the East right now, but I wouldn't want to trade places with them. They are the new Atlanta Hawks, with no young talent on the roster, just rolling on that treadmill.

None of what McD was given when he came on board was his fault. I don't fault him for beginning his tenure with only a prime Dragic (at the time averaging a career high 14.7ppg). But he also started his tenure with a #5 pick, cap space and Dragic. Is it the best way to start? No, but it's a very good start. At that time we were only 3 years removed from a WCF appearance. We weren't a good team and clearly headed to the top of the lotto but we were far from the laughing stock of the NBA. We're now nearing a decade from the last playoff appearance with an average of 30 wins a seasons in the last 5 seasons under McD which is already skewed by that initial 48 win season. We're also now in the midst one of the biggest tank battle in the history of the NBA, somewhere I surely did not expect to be 5 seasons after McD rolled out this grand plan of accumulating assets to grab a disgruntled star. If a fan consider this is any way not a failure of McD's plan, they're either blind or in complete denial.

What I find funny is McD supporters still continue to ignore all those terrible moves and believe he's still somehow untouchable. Also, I haven't read a single post from any fan that is convinced Booker won't sign his extension. Not a single one but I'd be more than happy to join you in laughing at this post if you can show it to me.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#37 » by DirtyDez » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:03 am

Clean house after the season.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Revived
RealGM

Post#38 » by Revived » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:06 am

I don’t like Sarver one bit either but I think it’s hilarious that any bad move gets blamed on him while only McD gets the praise for any good move.

A few months or so after McD got hired, Sarver came out and said he’s completely staying out of all basketball operations and letting McD handle it all. He repeated this when the Dragic drama happened because he said “I’ve stayed out of all basketball operations but I wish now that I was involved in some manner because i could’ve perhaps ended this in a better way or found a better solution to this”.

No players have bashed a franchise more than the Suns in the past 5 or so years. We definitely have the worst PR in then league imo and it’s not close. Ryan McDonough has a lot to do with that.
Scutt
Senior

Post#39 » by Scutt » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:26 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
What I find funny is McD supporters still continue to ignore all those terrible moves and believe he's still somehow untouchable. Also, I haven't read a single post from any fan that is convinced Booker won't sign his extension. Not a single one but I'd be more than happy to join you in laughing at this post if you can show it to me.

Maybe "convinced" was a poor choice of words, but it seems to me there are posters on here that feel the Suns need to compete right this instant or risk having Booker wanting out. I even heard local radio guys talking about it the other day. For me personally, I do not ignore all of McD's terrible moves. I just know that most of the short sighted ones that really bother me were done because of Sarvers impatience, so there is some leeway there. Not trading Bledsoe at the before the start of the season, knowing he wanted that extension, was a dumb move for sure, but I love the trade for Payton.

I do not think he should be untouchable by all means, like I said in an earlier post, his player management skills suck, but he is nowhere as terrible as some seem to think is the point I wanted to make. He is not as bad as Lance Blanks, who was convinced Zabian Dowdell was going to be a better player than Goran Dragic, so it could always be worse. He has been a mixed bag, but I have faith can improve, just like our players. I would not be devastated if we got rid of him, some consistency would be nice though.
Scutt
Senior

Post#40 » by Scutt » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:31 am

Revived wrote:I don’t like Sarver one bit either but I think it’s hilarious that any bad move gets blamed on him while only McD gets the praise for any good move.

A few months or so after McD got hired, Sarver came out and said he’s completely staying out of all basketball operations and letting McD handle it all. He repeated this when the Dragic drama happened because he said “I’ve stayed out of all basketball operations but I wish now that I was involved in some manner because i could’ve perhaps ended this in a better way or found a better solution to this”.

No players have bashed a franchise more than the Suns in the past 5 or so years. We definitely have the worst PR in then league imo and it’s not close. Ryan McDonough has a lot to do with that.

"Sarver said he should have embraced McDonough’s desire to start over with younger players sooner"
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2017/07/19/phoenix-suns-robert-sarver-steve-nash/494182001/

Return to Phoenix Suns