Alan Williams
12%

Total votes: 297

ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Who Do You Keep? 

Post#1 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sat Apr 7, 2018 4:41 pm

Simple question. Hard to answer. It's too early to make a thread asking what everyone's master plan is for the offseason - for that, you really need to know where our draft picks are going to shake out. But I think this question is answerable, even without knowing whom we're going to draft.

Some of these guys you could lose by just letting them go in free agency. Others you'd have to trade.

I'm leaving Brandon Knight, Tyson Chandler and Jared Dudley off this list, because I think most here would probably be happy to let them go if they could or in the right deal. I'm also not including Alex, as I think it's pretty clear he wants to leave, and will.

The real questions surround the young players, about whom we have some decisions to make. I'm also keeping Devin and Josh off the list, because I can't imagine anyone on this board would be in favor of dealing either one.

Pick as many as you want!
NTB
Suns Forum News Guru
And1: 6,029

Re: Who Do You Keep? 

Post#2 » by NTB » Sat Apr 7, 2018 4:57 pm

Ulis, Daniels, Warren, Peters

edit: ****. I meant I don't want to keep these players.
carey wrote:It is 2-time, every time.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#3 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Sat Apr 7, 2018 5:00 pm

NTB wrote:Ulis, Daniels, Warren, Peters

edit: ****. I meant I don't want to keep these players.

I just updated to allow you to change your vote. :)
Jdiddy701
RealGM
And1: 6,542

Post#4 » by Jdiddy701 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 7:01 pm

Keeping:
Booker, Jackson, Warren, Ulis, Shaq

Borderline:
Williams - wouldn’t mind Big Sauce on the team, just think there are more talented bigs in the NBA. Love his Phoenix background though.

Knight - something about Brandon Knight makes me feel like he’s going to have a good season next year. His interview last night with Leander made me feel like he still wants to be part of the Suns and understands what he needs to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,811

Post#5 » by Saberestar » Sat Apr 7, 2018 8:01 pm

Warren.

Ulis (as a third string PG).

Period.
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,401

Post#6 » by dremill24 » Sat Apr 7, 2018 8:16 pm

The answer is always the same: It Depends.

I’m not getting rid of Bender, Chriss, Warren, Daniels just for the hell of it. But you better believe I’m shopping them if it can help net some better talent in a package.

I voted Shaq, as he’s not going to net anything in a trade but I want him as a guard off the bench on a super cheap salary. Everyone else is on the table for me.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,625

Post#7 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Apr 8, 2018 3:21 am

Out of the entire roster, the only guys I want to keep is Book, JJ, Bender, Shaq and Daniels. The last two is a bit odd but I think they are great value for what they do. Daniels is a bit frustrating at times with his defense but he's a fine back up or 3rd tier SG. Everyone else, including TJ, I'd like to test the market
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#8 » by thamadkant » Sun Apr 8, 2018 4:21 am

Jackson and Booker... the rest can be traded for pieces that fit better
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,659

Post#9 » by Qwigglez » Sun Apr 8, 2018 5:12 am

It depends if we are getting better players. We traded or got rid of a lot of good players such as Goran Dragic, IT, Eric Bledsoe, Markieff Morris, Marcin Gortat. Even some average role players such as Gerald Green, Marcus Morris, Greg Monroe. We keep getting rid of players but not getting anything valuable out of that. Starting to feel like we are a farm team growing these crops so they can move on to other teams.

Having said that, I want to keep most of our players unless we are getting value back. Troy Daniels is someone we need since we don't have many shooters on the team. Davon Reed still has the potential of a 3 & D guy, so I'm keeping him. Bender would be a great system player if we had a system. Chriss needs discipline and to take the summer seriously, and maybe we'll see some growth.

This is who I put on my list though on the above players...
TJ Warren, Troy Daniels, Davon Reed, Dragan Bender, Marquese Chriss
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#10 » by Mr Puddles » Sun Apr 8, 2018 5:53 am

All of these guys are on cheap contracts and none of them will net us much value in a straight up one-on-one trade. There is no reason to get rid of any of them unless 1. They need to be included in a trade where we receive an upgrade in value, 2. we need to open up a roster spot for a better player.

Category 1: keep unless part of a trade where we receive an upgrade in talent.
Unlikely we can get a better impact-to-salary-ratio replacement
  • Bender
  • Chriss
  • Daniels

Category 2: keep unless we need to open a roster spot for a better player
A better impact-to-salary-ratio replacement could very well come along in the second round, or as a throw-in in a trade
  • Ulis
  • Shaq
  • House JR
  • Williams
  • Reed
  • Peters

Category 1 examples:
  • Price-to-potential wise, good luck trying to trade Bender and Chriss for players who offer more potential for the same salary. Highly unlikely and therefore it's waayy to early to consider trading them straight up. However, if the difference between getting and not getting, e.g., Kevin Love on this team is throwing in Dragan Bender - I'm all for it. Otherwise, he's a cheap player to try out for another two years.
  • I don't see any scenario where we can get a better impact-to-salary-ratio guy off the bench than Troy Daniels. He's one of those Eddie House kind of guys that you throw out there to see if he's hot - when he is, he can single-handedly win you 4th quarters. Again though, if he's the missing component in a trade. By all means

Category 2 example:
  • If we somehow end up with a guy like Tyus Jones or Shabazz Napier - we shouldn't think twice about cutting Ulis/ Shaq to ake space
  • If a guy we draft in the second round is outplaying any of the guys on this list over the summer - by all means pass on that roster spot.
Spoiler:
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#11 » by Bogyo » Sun Apr 8, 2018 10:55 am

Why no Len and Payton? I'd be intrested...
Although as many have stated before me, I believe outside of Booker and JJ the rest depends on context... Draft/Coach/FA's/Trades/Price
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#12 » by Mulhollanddrive » Sun Apr 8, 2018 11:21 am

I don't see any of them as difference makers so would be fine with getting rid of everyone except:

Booker, Jackson, 2018 Pick
Net Plus 3 Future Firsts
$90m in Salary Cap
Puff
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#13 » by Puff » Sun Apr 8, 2018 6:09 pm

Absolute keepers - would not include in a trade for anyone - that includes the great Kawii Leonard (He seems to not want to play for a team that wants to compete for a championship) is he really freaking injured???????? Why should anyone believe what he has to say? Why would you give him a max contract?????????? That appears to be his biggest concern.

Booker
Jackson
2018 first pick in the draft - whoever that might be.

I would not dump any of these guys for nothing in return but would include them in a trade if a legitimate upgrade is available.

TJ Warren
Chriss
Bender
Daniels
2018 Draft picks other than our 1st pick in the draft.

I would not guarantee theses guys a spot but would invite them to camp

Harrison
Canaan

I would move on from these guys and could care less where they end up - none of them are part of our future.

Payton (I don't care how cheap he might be)
Ulis (See Payton's comments) This guys is too small and will be continually injured - move on now - even if it hurts Booker's feelings.
Reed - He has had his chance to play due to Booker sitting and can't get in the game - why he gets any support is incredible.
Peters
Williams
Len
House

I would do my best to trade these guys - (without giving up any future or current assets).

Chandler
Dudley
Knight
      "Has Beal taken over leadership of this team? Book and KD are great players but appear to not have leadership qualities"
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#14 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Apr 8, 2018 6:48 pm

I chose shaq and reed because they don't have trade value but are on such small deals you might as well keep them around. This is such a bad defensive team you shouldn't just give away guys who profile as good perimeter defenders.

I also took both bender and chriss. Sure if some trade needed them in it I wouldn't balk but I don't think either guy has a ton of value so might as well bring them back and let them battle for minutes with the additions to the front court.

I left warren off because if they make a major trade I expect he's going out in it.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#15 » by nevetsov » Sun Apr 8, 2018 11:56 pm

Must keep:
Booker
Jackson

Keep unless can be consolidated into an upgrade:
#1pick
Warren
Bender
Chriss
Knight (unlikely to be tradeable)
Williams

Can stay if needed to fill out roster:
Ulis as third string
Reed as third string

On the way out:
Chandler
Dudley
Payton
Peters
Harrison
House
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,901

Post#16 » by Damkac » Mon Apr 9, 2018 11:31 pm

Keep:
Warren - good player on good contract
Bender, Chriss - I know they were disappointing but I would give both one more year (this time with a real coach), I don't think they have much of value anyway so it's better to keep them and hope the can fix their issues than to give them for almost free

Would like to keep but won't cry if they are gone:
Williams - I love his enthusiasm but if his salary is needed to add a better player then he has to go
Daniels - his shooting is useful even he doesn't do much else, if Suns will add more shooters then he can go
Harrison - like his energy, would be nice as a 3rd PG
Reed - didn't had a chance to show how he looks fully healthy

Have to go:
Ulis, Payton - bad players, they may have lots of assists but it's more because both sucks at scoring so has to pass the ball, not because they are good playmakers, I hope both are gone this offseason
House - nothing special
Peters - he's like Bender without the upside
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#17 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:51 pm

Love seeing Bender top the board here. I think we'd be nuts to deal him this summer.

Chriss coming in second also warms the heart. I don't think he should be available in trade unless a huge fish is circling.

Surprised Daniels has so few votes... if we want to win next year, jettisoning your only real gunner seems like a bad plan. I think we keep him.

I think Alan Williams is most clearly gone. Great guy, very good player, but we're not going to pick up that $$$. We need the cap space.

I think we will let Ulis go. We're invested in Knight, Shaq gives us more overall, and we want to add another point. Ulis is the odd man out.

I think Reed and House will be competing for the last spot on the roster. Peters won't be in that conversation.

Tl;dr: I voted Harrison, Daniels, TJ, Chriss, Bender. If I were to check one more box, it would be for House.
jeff2020
Senior
And1: 350

Post#18 » by jeff2020 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:23 am

There is no clear cut keepers besides Booker. There is a deal to be made for any other player. This team isn't even close to competing as is
jeff2020
Senior
And1: 350

Post#19 » by jeff2020 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:36 am

1UPZ wrote:Jackson and Booker... the rest can be traded for pieces that fit better

And to be perfectly honest if the right deal comes up for Jackson I deal him as well. He will be lucky to make an all star team. He isn't someone I want as my 2nd or even 3rd best player on a team
m1chal
Rookie
And1: 825

Post#20 » by m1chal » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:56 pm

I voted for Bender and Chriss - both very young and with potential, too early to call the busts and move on, Daniels - each team needs a gunner off the bench, Reed - I need more time to see what he's capable of and House - he is a decent and cheap player.
I left TJ off the list - he's a good player and a good contract but his inability to shoot 3s makes him an odd man out. All other guys can either be easily replaced or are more of a G-League of Chinese league players.

Return to Phoenix Suns