ImageImageImage

The Draft (Postseason Edition): 1/16/31/59 (NEW POLL)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Who do you want us to draft?

Ayton
55%
Doncic
45%

Total votes: 179

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Re: The Draft (Postseason Edition): Top 4/16/31/59 

Post#141 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:45 am

sunsbum wrote:You guys talk about weight with bamba, and I agree he will have to put on some weight but guys like Marcus Camby, Tyson Chandler, Whiteside are all examples of skinny dudes have success in the NBA. I don't think weight is as much of an issue in today's NBA. And then theres the fact that he lives in the Tree canopys.

I don't think there's much comparison. Whiteside is a giant dude, like well over 260lbs (he's listed at 265lb). Camby and Tyson were both over 240 and closer to 250. These might "look" skinny but they are strong as hell and were also long as well. A lot of that weight and strength comes from the lower half. I agree weight isn't as much of an issues these days without many high level post up threats and it is really strength and length that's the key. The problem is his extremely poor lower body strength.

- Very poor lower body strength. Gets put under the basket by bigs that aren’t particularly heavy. How will he deal with Jokic/Embiid types in the post?
- Rarely boxes out on defense. Will have to do that in NBA as bigger interior players will push him around on the inside.
- Doesn’t always finish plays on defense. Sometimes seems content after getting a block rather than chasing down rebound or recovering to contest another shot.
- Not very physical as a screen setter. More concerned with trying to float open for three-point looks than setting good screens.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,383

Post#142 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:58 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
sunsbum wrote:You guys talk about weight with bamba, and I agree he will have to put on some weight but guys like Marcus Camby, Tyson Chandler, Whiteside are all examples of skinny dudes have success in the NBA. I don't think weight is as much of an issue in today's NBA. And then theres the fact that he lives in the Tree canopys.

I don't think there's much comparison. Whiteside is a giant dude, like well over 260lbs (he's listed at 265lb). Camby and Tyson were both over 240 and closer to 250. These might "look" skinny but they are strong as hell and were also long as well. A lot of that weight and strength comes from the lower half. I agree weight isn't as much of an issues these days without many high level post up threats and it is really strength and length that's the key. The problem is his extremely poor lower body strength.

I don't think much of Tyson's strength or weight comes from lower half.

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#143 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:10 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Wasn't this a photoshop job?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#144 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:19 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I don't think there's much comparison. Whiteside is a giant dude, like well over 260lbs (he's listed at 265lb). Camby and Tyson were both over 240 and closer to 250. These might "look" skinny but they are strong as hell and were also long as well. A lot of that weight and strength comes from the lower half. I agree weight isn't as much of an issues these days without many high level post up threats and it is really strength and length that's the key. The problem is his extremely poor lower body strength.

Not that I know of. Look at the other photos in this article. https://deadspin.com/i-cant-stop-looking-at-this-picture-of-tyson-chandler-903307042
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#145 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:36 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

Not that I know of. Look at the other photos in this article. https://deadspin.com/i-cant-stop-looking-at-this-picture-of-tyson-chandler-903307042

I've read in the past that this was shopped. Either way, he doesn't have Steven Adam sized legs but compared to Bamba, his are solid. He was also a DPOY in an era where the Dwight, Bynum, Gasol and even Pekovic were relevant.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#146 » by Mr Puddles » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:10 am

Kerrsed wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:Inspired by a similar Memphis trade on the RealGM trade board. If the Cavs go full rebuild, would you consider:

Love + #8

for

#2 + #31 + Knight

We could likely draft Young or Bamba at #8:

Young
Booker
Jackson
Love
Bender

Or

Sexton (#16)
Booker
Jackson
Love
Bamba

- I personally wouldn't do it if Doncic is still available, but it's still intriguing IMO

No, that is horrible. The trade you based it off of was:

Kevin Love/#8 to Memphis for Chandler Parsons/#2

So why would we pay more (Adding in the #31) when we would be giving up a way way way way way way less toxic of a contract? Parsons is trash. I love that SJAX called him out on not having any real love for the game and just sitting back collecting a check. He is owed $50M over the next two seasons......and you replaced that with Knights #30M and still decided that we would need to add in the #31? No, not even close. I wouldnt touch that even with the 2nd taken out. You are basically dropping down 6 spots in the draft to pay what would be a disgruntled Kevin Love $25M for a season before he leaves in FA. Thats just utterly gross and why i cant get behind any Love trade.

Who thinks we would welcome a trade to the Suns (Even if we have a bright future or not) after spending the past 4 seasons in Cleveland, always competing for a title? That would be taking a huge step backwards for him. He would be his mopey self here and leave the first chance he got. He doesnt have 4-5 more years for us to mature enough to be a champion contender. He's already at the top now. So that would be us throwing away the highest pick we have had in decades just to dump and extra season of Knight, which really isnt dumping an extra season as we would pretty much be paying Knights 2 year salary to Love in that one season (Ok, a little more, but still the point is valid).

The Chandler Parsons trade also had Memphis' second rounder (just not in the title of the thread - OP wrote it in the description)

I'm clearly higher on Love than you but I also wouldn't do it for the #2 pick. I think the value is quite fair but I'm very high on Doncic - and think he's a perfect fit for us - and Ayton has enough upside for me to not pull the trigger.

HOWEVER, If our pick drops to 3 or 4 - I'd do this trade without much hesitation. 3-8 is a toss-up in my book so we'd basically be picking up love for a bad contract and the #31.
Spoiler:
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#147 » by thamadkant » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:25 am

You think Grizzlies would trade Pick 3 or 4 along with Parsons
for
Warren, Chriss and Pick 16?
oddity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,080

Post#148 » by oddity » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:59 pm

1UPZ wrote:You think Grizzlies would trade Pick 3 or 4 along with Parsons
for

No.
Living off borrowed time the clock ticks faster...
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#149 » by King4Day » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:25 pm

oddity wrote:
1UPZ wrote:You think Grizzlies would trade Pick 3 or 4 along with Parsons
for

No.

I dunno. If they landed the #4 pick, they might not be as high on it and would be willing to dump Parsons' contract for that coup.
The real question is, would the Suns? I don't think we would.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#150 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:42 pm

I don't think I would. As tempting as that #3 or 4 might be, that Parsons deal (and the player) is going to seriously shut us out of any potential FA's. That's more a move you make early on in a rebuild and we're clearly done adding youth assets/tanking and looking to take the next step forward towards competitiveness.
King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,204

Post#151 » by King4Day » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:42 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:I don't think I would. As tempting as that #3 or 4 might be, that Parsons deal (and the player) is going to seriously shut us out of any potential FA's. That's more a move you make early on in a rebuild and we're clearly done adding youth assets/tanking and looking to take the next step forward towards competitiveness.

Exactly. Though, it would be kinda cool to add both Ayton and Young :)
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#152 » by bwgood77 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:23 pm

Read on Twitter
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,578

Post#153 » by Kerrsed » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:33 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That further illustrates why im so against us drafting Bamba.

JUST SAY NO.....to Mo!
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#154 » by Kerrsed » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Read on Twitter
Its #DUMPSTERFIRE SEASON! #TeamTRAINWRECK -KERRSED- The Mod, The Myth, The Legend
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,453

Post#155 » by Stix » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:59 pm

I really don't see the hype behind JJJ, he looks like a journeyman roleplayer to me. In a draft that is top heavy with superstar potential, i just don't see the top 5 hype. I would most definitely want Bagley over him.
Kerrsed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#156 » by Kerrsed » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:15 pm

ZER0 wrote:I really don't see the hype behind JJJ, he looks like a journeyman roleplayer to me. In a draft that is top heavy with superstar potential, i just don't see the top 5 hype. I would most definitely want Bagley over him.

He is supposedly more substance over flash. One of those guys that will give you great pay on the court, but flies under the radar and isnt in the headlines.
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,691

Post#157 » by sunsbum » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:22 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Kind of a weird article. They talk about hum getting blown by, by a bunch of guards that he has to come out to the 3pt line and defend. I mean, what do you expect? In the few clips I watched he actually did fairly well.

Then they compare his body to rudy goberts talking about the weight difference yet gobert has had 3 years to get that NBA build.
Flex is now your father.
kennydorglas
Suns Forum Statistical Savant
And1: 5,983

Post#158 » by kennydorglas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:31 pm

They keep hating on my guy Bamba.
He's going to be the Myles Turner of this draft.
'Ohhh he's skinny, he moves funny, cant create his offense... let's take Jahlil Okafor''

I'm so ready for this.
#BambaStrong #BAMBASQUAD
"I got nothing to prove in this league. I’m a max player, and I’ll continue to be a max player."
Five foot Eighton

“No matter what you do or how you do it, as long as you have true passion you will succeed.”
Luis “WEEZY” Egurrola
TOO
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,310

Post#159 » by TOO » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:42 pm

kennydorglas wrote:They keep hating on my guy Bamba.
He's going to be the Myles Turner of this draft.
'Ohhh he's skinny, he moves funny, cant create his offense... let's take Jahlil Okafor''

I'm so ready for this.
#BambaStrong #BAMBASQUAD

You are not alone, friend.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#160 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 pm

ZER0 wrote:I really don't see the hype behind JJJ, he looks like a journeyman roleplayer to me. In a draft that is top heavy with superstar potential, i just don't see the top 5 hype. I would most definitely want Bagley over him.

I've heard multiple draft guys say he has the best defensive instincts of anyone they have scouted since Anthony Davis. He's a natural shot blocker who can also switch onto guards. Advanced stats love him with a 10 DBPM compared to 4 for Ayton and 3 for Bagley.

Offensively he's still a work in progress but he shot nearly 80% from the FT line which is a good indicator and he shot around 40% from 3 in college on a decent volume. So basically he's a 3 and D Center.

Some of the reason his counting stats don't jump off the page is MSU played 4 bigs in their rotation and had other guys like Bridges that took on more of the offensive role.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Phoenix Suns